Post match: Liverpool 4-1 Cardiff City (27/10/18 3pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

• Lovren

• Van Dijk

• Moreno

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Lallana [off 61’]

• Salah [GOAL 10’]

Votes: 81 53.3%
  • Firmino [off 71’]

• Mane [GOAL 65’, GOAL 86’]

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • Shaqiri [on 61’, GOAL 85’]

Votes: 25 16.4%
  • Milner [on 71’]

• Total voters

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Actually I was quite baffled by some of the praise Gino was receiving at the start of the season, however the last 5 or so games I've realised how good he has become.

Actually I was quite baffled by some of the praise Gino was receiving at the start of the season, however the last 5 or so games I've realised how good he has become.
I'm still sceptical. I have managed to get behind him on occasion, shouting, 'come on Gini' only for him to have advanced 10 meters turn 180° and pass back 15 meters. Just can not help feeling he is in the wrong role for his skill set. Still not aware enough of what's around him or with the right mentality to go the full hog. Not a big worry but disappointing and frustrating at times. Just a bit more agression at times might do it but he hasn't convinced me he's an LFC 1st team candidate.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Actually, I think it was Scott Jones who broke the third rule of sports ("don't talk about the streak"). Clearly all his fault, although IMHO Moreno was his primary instrument.

841 minutes without conceding at home with our record being 934,depending on how much injury time we could beat it today,fuck yeah.

Limiescouse

From the games I've seen this season, Gini would be ahead of Henderson and Keita........by a long way.
I have a particular bias towards it, but I just love how difficult gini is to dispossess. It is probably the most vital skill in that role, and sometimes he makes it look like those videos of pros playing against a mob of children.

jaffod

From the games I've seen this season, Gini would be ahead of Henderson and Keita........by a long way.
I'd have been happy to see him off-loaded in the summer but the extra competition has given him the kick up the arse he needed. He's been our star man in midfield so far this season.
Didn't Klopp say Fabinho liked playing as part of a double pivot, whatever the fuck that is? Maybe Gini is playing to instruction, not to over-commit and leave that to Shaqiri, Lallana etc?

Actually, I think it was Scott Jones who broke the third rule of sports ("don't talk about the streak"). Clearly all his fault, although IMHO Moreno was his primary instrument.
@Scott Jones ... You *****. You are responsible for that goal? You brought an end to our home clean sheets? Shame on you. How do you plead?

XMarlin

3 points

3 goal difference

No injuries

Some key players rested, others get a workout.

A full week until we play a good Arsenal side that has quietly gone about the business of putting last season behind them.

Klopp has been doing a great job.

Looking forward to seeing how we do at the Emirates next weekend.

jredp

not anti Moreno, but I think the lad is a jinx. whenever he gets to play, we concede. Added to that, I don't think he is a defender, more a brain fart headless run around lad that can kick a ball. In defense we need a cool calm lad who doesn't panic too often and easily

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I dont frequent the pre/post match threads too often, but dont recall seeing VVD receiving too much flak for his lunge the other week when he gave away a penalty.
Agree on Gini, very under rated and under appreciated.
It was a blatant reckless lunge, and Virgil himself took responsibility and apologised after the game.

So the question is not why is this not discussed, but what is there to discuss in the first place. And neither is Van Dijk a player for whom errors are habitual, prompting pages and pages of ‘fucks sake - not again’ exclamations.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Moreno must be blackmailing Jurgen because how he gets on that team sheet is baffling.
Because Robertson - having not missed a game so far, and playing 180 minutes in the international break - needs a rest, and Moreno is the other left back we have? There is the young lad Adam Lewis, but if you can’t use your squad against Cardiff - who I think are the worst team in the division - when can you?

I’m not a fan of playing Lovren and Moreno together, as you’ve then two lads with a mistake in them in the back line. But to be fair, aside from an extremely fortuitous bounce of the ball, they caused us no trouble.

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
It was a blatant reckless lunge, and Virgil himself took responsibility and apologised after the game.

So the question is not why is this not discussed, but what is there to discuss in the first place. And neither is Van Dijk a player for whom errors are habitual, prompting pages and pages of ‘fucks sake - not again’ exclamations.
Lovren is an easy and popular target though.
He's been very decent for some time now, but it's as if people are continually poised for any opportunity to have a pop.

RazvanLFC

He's been very decent for some time now, but it's as if people are continually poised for any opportunity to have a pop.
Well, it's in the human nature to trust less the players who've proven more than once that they are prone to errors like Moreno, Mignolet or Lovren.
I believe Lovren has improved very much even last year when he had maybe 3 not so good games and a shocker at Spurs and is underrated (yes you read that right) by the Liverpool fans, because of the mistakes he made (most of them while playing alongside Sakho).
He had some very very solid games last year and I'd like to think that maybe he can win back some of the fans. Also a very good header of the ball and threat from corners.
I think our back line is very ok with gomez, vd, lovren, robertson, taa, clyne and even moreno.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Yeah but.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/3iv69i

Still makes me laugh.......

Awesome stuff though that the big fella has got himself some consistency now.....I love a redemption story in sport.

eng.amohd

The false nine
Well, it's in the human nature to trust less the players who've proven more than once that they are prone to errors like Moreno, Mignolet or Lovren.
I believe Lovren has improved very much even last year when he had maybe 3 not so good games and a shocker at Spurs and is underrated (yes you read that right) by the Liverpool fans, because of the mistakes he made (most of them while playing alongside Sakho).
He had some very very solid games last year and I'd like to think that maybe he can win back some of the fans. Also a very good header of the ball and threat from corners.
I think our back line is very ok with gomez, vd, lovren, robertson, taa, clyne and even moreno.
I agree with you, except for the part that our defence is good with Moreno. I like the lad, but as long as we don't play 3 at the back with double six, he will always be a weak point in our style. He is a potent weapon while attacking, but needs someone to cover him all the time.

Noo Noo

I agree with you, except for the part that our defence is good with Moreno. I like the lad, but as long as we don't play 3 at the back with double six, he will always be a weak point in our style. He is a potent weapon while attacking, but needs someone to cover him all the time.
The problem for Moreno is that he is night and day when compared to Robertson. Robertson's positional play is far better and his attacking contributions are also on another level. He is also calmer upstairs.

For me Moreno simply struggles within the system and league in which we operate. The pace is higher and combined with our system of play positional errors are punished much harder.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
Sorry, but the flip side of genuine criticism is genuine praise. If you call a player out for making a series of poor mistakes and question his ability then you should be equally keen to acknowledge his improved performances and offer encouragement. If you can’t do that then it is highly questionable that your criticism was genuine in the first place. Its that simple for me.

Lovren has played exceptionally well over the past 7 months or so and has probably not made any more mistakes than VvD. I’m delighted for him. Unfortunately for Lovren, whilst he has been out injured, young Gomez has really emerged and Lovren has a fight on his hands. That has to be good for LFC.

RazvanLFC

Yes, I didn't mean that the defence is good with moreno, but more like the defence - overall - that includes moreno as a backup even after clyne is ok. No way I would like him to start for us he is a clear liability, but against LESSER teams he could also bring something new attacking wise even if he is a clear two levels below robertson.
Of course, being one injury away of seeing him play regularly is making me a little nervous.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Sorry, but the flip side of genuine criticism is genuine praise. If you call a player out for making a series of poor mistakes and question his ability then you should be equally keen to acknowledge his improved performances and offer encouragement. If you can’t do that then it is highly questionable that your criticism was genuine in the first place. Its that simple for me.

Lovren has played exceptionally well over the past 7 months or so and has probably not made any more mistakes than VvD. I’m delighted for him. Unfortunately for Lovren, whilst he has been out injured, young Gomez has really emerged and Lovren has a fight on his hands. That has to be good for LFC.
I think the problem with lovren is that even when he is playing well he still will brain fart regularly which recently he has got away with. Even when he is playing well I'm always just waiting for that fuck up. Just not good on the auld ticker

not anti Moreno, but I think the lad is a jinx. whenever he gets to play, we concede. Added to that, I don't think he is a defender, more a brain fart headless run around lad that can kick a ball. In defense we need a cool calm lad who doesn't panic too often and easily
I wouldn't call Robertson cool or calm but he is elecric and bloody good. Will that do you?

eng.amohd

The false nine
Yes, I didn't mean that the defence is good with moreno, but more like the defence - overall - that includes moreno as a backup even after clyne is ok. No way I would like him to start for us he is a clear liability, but against LESSER teams he could also bring something new attacking wise even if he is a clear two levels below robertson.
Of course, being one injury away of seeing him play regularly is making me a little nervous.
I'd rather play Gomez or Milner at left-back in case of an injury to Andy.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
I think the problem with lovren is that even when he is playing well he still will brain fart regularly which recently he has got away with. Even when he is playing well I'm always just waiting for that fuck up. Just not good on the auld ticker

Have to disagree with you on that one. I am nervous about a sudden brainfart - I can’t deny that - but these are few and far between these days. I haven’t seen any more obvious mistakes from Lovren than I have VvD over the past 6-7 months. Over the 2 ECL matches against City he was the best defender on the pitch full stop. The great thing about Lovren is he offers something different to Gomez yet still compliments Virgil in the centre of defence well.