POST MATCH: Liverpool 4-1 West Brom

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
Think this game demonstrates that a three man midfield of Lucas, Henderson and Gerrard is the way forward. The only problem with that is accomodating Coutinho, will we revert to a flat back 4 to accomodate him i wonder?

On a sidenote,Yakob. Anyone else think he looks like Suso's elder brother?

OOTer

TIA New Signing
rab said:
Sorry that's my bad, I meant the Stoke game not Sunderland game. :wacko:

Never a problem when things are going well to be wanting more but I don't feel it should be at the expense of disregarding or trivialising what has come before it. In essence pretty much every goal is a team goal. Rarely does someone score without the contribution from others in the team be that in a simple pass, a hoof down field or a clever decoy run that could be hugely significant but wouldn't even get an assist stat.

I do think the return of Coutinho could well see the number of clearer cut chances increase. How Rodgers fits him into the side without sacrificing the stronger showing from midfield yesterday and the constant danger of the front two is a lovely problem to have.
Totally agree with all of that. And yes Coutinho has that magic ability to weight a pass behind the defence and in front of the on running attacker. So hopefully we will see more of these 'clear cut chances'/'team goals' I seem so fond of.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to detract from any other contribution. Be it cross or skill. Just because I am focusing on one facet of our play doesn't mean I don't appreciate our others.

Viva la Pool. Hope BR can get the balance right for Arsenal and we smash those Gooners into 2nd place :)

rab

Dane said:
Is a smiley mandatory when being humorous these days?
Depends how funny you are I guess. If people keep misinterpreting your "humour" for serious comment then probably best you include one just to be on the safe side

Jugger

SirBillShankly said:
Think this game demonstrates that a three man midfield of Lucas, Henderson and Gerrard is the way forward. The only problem with that is accomodating Coutinho, will we revert to a flat back 4 to accomodate him i wonder?

On a sidenote,Yakob. Anyone else think he looks like Suso's elder brother?
I'd still rather Allen in our ideal mid 3. With Coutinho behind Sturridge and Suarez. They'd wonder everywhere so I wouldn't worry about it being too narrow.

Regardless of Coutinho we need to revert to a flat 4. If we play 3 atb v Arsenal I think we'll be OK as they lack any real pace to hurt us bar that Gnarby but its no coincidence why we've not been keeping clean sheets with it. I understand its to accommodate 3 CB's as its our "strongest" area, but at the end of the day not one of them let alone three of them have been playing at a high enough standard to warrant keeping all three in the side.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Dane said:
Disturbing how the Skrtel skeptics are still beating their drums.
Toure was far less disciplined than Skrtel, and was bailed out more than once by him.
His two interventions in the box during the first half were highly questionable (could have led to two penalties, WBA had perfectly correct claims there), but otherwise he was solid and dependable. His defensive behaviour on Anelka's chance was class (although he may have lacked a bit of sense of anticipation on that one before recovering from it and tackling the ball away), and his no-nonsense kicks up the pitch when under pressure at the end of the second half weren't very handsome, but useful.

All in all, I'd give him a 7.5 for that performance. But he really needs to cut out these silly fouls in the box. Otherwise it will cost us dearly at some point.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Dane said:
Look, do we need the detailed dissection and all the should have tried 4-1-2-3 nonsense?

We played well for most of the game and followed the simple Paisley instructions.
When we weren't sure what to do with the ball, we stuck it in the net.
Hear, ruddy hear.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
and Mr Shankly on options. " Net first,options after."
So well done the reds on a most unexpectedly convincing win.
We just might have unleashed a collective and most lethal artistry in the squad .
We shall see. Gunners on toast next week would be something of a confirmation.
The Blessed Brendan reaching for the heights?

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
OOTer said:
lol. I get that not many give a shit how we win. That's your/their perigotive. But I think you are missing the piont - I care! lol

And your argument seemed to be that I was wrong to have that concern. Which I think I've somewhat validated. We score the least of our goals from crosses and the most from individual skills. I'd like to see more from creative passages of play. That is all. Is that really so wrong? Can you not admit you may have been to quick too critisise my point? Because what you did there is how lots of people end a discussion when they are wrong... 'Oh, I don't really care'. And there was me thinking caring was what supporting a club was all about. :-/

To move on. People are talking a lot about keeping clean sheets. Which is a valid point. However, I would point out that in those games we were hanging on for the win a fair bit in the 2nd halves. In the other fixtures, bar Swansea and Newcastle, when we've scored more than one we have been far more comfortable. Although yesterday at 3-1 I was concerned they may get back into it. But I think that's history playing a part.

Also, at the end of the season goal difference may come into play. So IMO winning 3-1 and 4-1 is more valuable than 1-0. Obv 3-0 and 4-0 are prefered. But it seems that with the systems we've employed at achieve those results it's an either/or scenario. Hopefully that can change with Lucas on top form and linos not being egotist and wanting to influence the game for the sake of it (my opinion of the nobjockey yesterday).

Still loving Hendo. And worried that Coutinho for him may cause us more problems in winning the ball back. And without the ball Countinho can't do his magic. Catch-22 almost. But that's a problem for Rodgers. And maybe for the near future we can use him as a proper game changing sub. Something I think we are lacking atm.
On the first bolded bit, i was criticising that you seemed to be adjusting the facts to fit your opinion. Saying if we discount brilliance and crosses we don't do that well. On the second bolded bit you've taken it totally out of context, again to fit your argument. I never said i didn't care, i said i and many others don't care how we score as long as we score. As an example you said "If you don't understand what I'm trying to say I'm either failing to communicate properly or your just dumb" in a post a while back. If i decided to just take "your just dumb" and attribute that quote to you does that seem right? As usual you seem to be changing what you want to back up your argument.

Back to your main point, if you're going to watch a game where we played that well and pick out problems (using your logic of not counting things that go against it) then you'll never be happy. Arsenal are top of the league and most of their goals are team goals because their striker Giroud won't ever do things like Suarez did yesterday. Should Arsenal fans moan that all their goals come from team play instead of individual brilliance?

The way you look at it is we need to score goals of every type and as it happens even going by your post about how goals are scored by us we do have some from crosses, some from team and some from individual brilliance. You're complaining that most are from individuals, guess what, Arsenals are from team play, Uniteds are from individuals (mainly Rooney this season), i could go on through other teams but what's the point, you're looking for something to moan about and when you couldn't find much you decided to just go with it's easier to discount Suarez and crosses, this bit is laughable and that was the point of yours that i was criticising so no, i wasn't too quick to criticise.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
OOTer said:
Totally agree with all of that. And yes Coutinho has that magic ability to weight a pass behind the defence and in front of the on running attacker. So hopefully we will see more of these 'clear cut chances'/'team goals' I seem so fond of.
Just for the record, I'm not trying to detract from any other contribution. Be it cross or skill. Just because I am focusing on one facet of our play doesn't mean I don't appreciate our others.
Viva la Pool. Hope BR can get the balance right for Arsenal and we smash those Gooners into 2nd place :)
The point is that you can't easily break down a goal like this - this one was a team goal, this was a piece of individual brilliance. It doesn't work like that. How many goals come from crosses that also involve the team and a few bits of brilliance. A team is made up of eleven individuals after all.

I think you just over thinking it.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
lfc.eddie said:
I guess you have missed 2008/09 season then? Now that is a title race in my book.
It really wasn't a race till ManU drew against Fulham, then it was on for 7 weeks roughly

This is different as its been on since the beginning which feels more of a race than a last ditch sprint

But I do remember the excitement of 2008/9 but this just feels different

Edit: I think ManU lost to Fulham must check

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
canucky008 said:
It really wasn't a race till ManU drew against Fulham, then it was on for 7 weeks roughly

This is different as its been on since the beginning which feels more of a race than a last ditch sprint

But I do remember the excitement of 2008/9 but this just feels different

Edit: I think ManU lost to Fulham must check
Really though...

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2008-2009/table/2008-10-28

We were on top 9 games into the season mate, and undefeated.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
I like to remind how West Brom was the only PL team Suarez never scored against. it's called "catching up on things".

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Mascot88 said:
The point is that you can't easily break down a goal like this - this one was a team goal, this was a piece of individual brilliance. It doesn't work like that. How many goals come from crosses that also involve the team and a few bits of brilliance. A team is made up of eleven individuals after all.

I think you just over thinking it.
While there is no set criteria other than ones own opinion. I have and I will break down goals into those catagories. If a player is in a non-threatening position (say surrounded by 3/4 defenders outside the box) and he manages to fashion a goal, then no amount of accumulated passing or flash trickery on the egde of our box can take responsibility for that goal. In my opinion that is.

And look. I didn't say we should discount crosses or individual skill as chances created. Only that I'd like to see is score more from the 3rd alternative I've suggested. And I understand it's not the norm but that doesn't mean I have to accept that. I can't help it that thats how I want us to produce our goals. Like you say Arse do this well. And are generally accepted to have played some of the best football the EPL has seen. So I want some of that for LfC and our supporters.

And no, I'm not gonna br happy until we win the league again. We've waited long enough now. I'll save my adulation for when that happens. Hopefully this will be... (Not jinxing it).

I respect your opinion. It just differs from mine. Thats the beauty of life. Of which I'm eternally thankful.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Delighted with the result and performance. Gutted to see teams like southampton and everton keeping pace with us. If we hit a bad patch we havent been able to put a gap between ourselves and the other sides likely to finish 4th-7th. Infact had we not started so well we would have a tough job catching them.
I guess we can only worry about ourselves, win our own games, one game at a time etc etc but i, like most fans, am never satisfied - I always want more.

I might be pleased if we go clear at the top next week :p

OOTer

TIA New Signing
And you may say I was looking for something to moan about. But the opposite is complacency. Not that that's my responsibility as a supporter. But thats how I roll.

Also, I did list lots of positives about the game. I'm happy to do this again if it'll please you.

Alex

since 2004
Mascot88 said:
Skrtel was fine, but frequently he got himself in all kinds of tangles with attackers - he was unlucky not to give away two penalties. There was also the one he cleared off the line - good clearance, but he shouldn't have let the attack develop by allowing the ball to loop over his head. He is still very suspect judging the flight of a ball and reading the game.

He's keeping his place on merit but I always feel a fuck up is just around the corner.
from what i saw, skrtel allowed the ball to loop over his head because the other option was to head it towards our goal - which would have been a worse decision

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Mascot88, on 27 Oct 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:
Skrtel was fine, but frequently he got himself in all kinds of tangles with attackers - he was unlucky not to give away two penalties. There was also the one he cleared off the line - good clearance, but he shouldn't have let the attack develop by allowing the ball to loop over his head. He is still very suspect judging the flight of a ball and reading the game.

He's keeping his place on merit but I always feel a fuck up is just around the corner.
from what i saw, skrtel allowed the ball to loop over his head because the other option was to head it towards our goal - which would have been a worse decision [/quote]

Dunno. He certainly seemed to crane his neck for it.

To say he 'allowed the attack to develop' isn't really fair. As with attacking play it takes more than an individual to create a goal scoring chance for the oppo ;-)

(That's me being facetious btw)

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Alex said:
from what i saw, skrtel allowed the ball to loop over his head because the other option was to head it towards our goal - which would have been a worse decision
Not sure about that. I always want a defender to attack the ball when it's coming like that. Get anything on it.

In the end he's a bit lucky that Anelka's effort is a poor one and he get back.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
OOTer said:
Dunno. He certainly seemed to crane his neck for it.
At the last minute, when he realises he's misjudged the flight of the ball.

OOTer

TIA New Signing
No. We were rubbish. I'd have been much happier if we'd have created a few more one on ones but drawn 0-0.

spizfromoz

When we play Arsenal next, they will have played Chelsea in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday, Play us on Saturday, go to Dortmund on Tuesday, back away at United on the weekend. They play 4 BIG games in two weeks. This we need to push them to see what they're about.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
spizfromoz said:
When we play Arsenal next, they will have played Chelsea in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday, Play us on Saturday, go to Dortmund on Tuesday, back away at United on the weekend. They play 4 games in two weeks. This we need to push them to see what they're about.
I think they are going to push us to see what we are all about instead....

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member

Couts on the wing, and Suarez in CAM? Interesting

bes

Were playing Arsenal next match, probably the best midfield in the league and your taking out Hendo... Our battery to put another attacking winger in Coutinho. Then you take off 2 of our good CBs so we can have another left footed CB + Moses. I dont even......

The 3 cbs will be great against Arsenal. Will keep the cracks in the box tight + Glen/Cissohko won't have to deal with any winger threats + their full backs suck so it'd be perfect on the counter. Hendo is a must, Coutinho is great to have but against a tougher opposition especially after a great game against West Brom by everyone he'll have to watch the game from the bench unless we go down early.

Tokyo_Red

TIA New Signing
I know this isn't the thread but if we defend quite deep and counter attack against Arsenal I'll be confident. Their back line on corners and free kicks is so high they almost have no one to cover.

With Sturridge and Suarez camped up front and Stevie's passing from deep we'd force them back or even score on the break. We'd need to keep tight and track their runners from midfield but with three at the back we will force them wide. We then need to ensure our wingbacks stay disciplined.

I'm more confident in this team than I've ever been to score goals. Get the defending part right and we will go far.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Was away for this game so it was not until Sunday that I was able to catch up with the reports and match higlights, for what I have seen we where very good and stopped a team that last season gave us problems. Thats a postive we are doing better against teams that we should be doing better against. The result was a good one but for me the only downside is we just can't keep a clean sheet, this has to be addresed before we come up against some of the better teams in the league.

Another postive is the fact that Luis does seem to be happy again and is giving 100% which was a worry for a lot of fans, let's hope he can carry on and we can match his desire and keep him at the club.

shootscore

Four excellent goals and those three midfielders made us more robust, looking to win possession in their half.
Where is Coutinho going to fit in?