POST MATCH: Liverpool 4-1 West Brom

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
I know we have profited in attack. But since changed to 3 in the back, we haven't been able to keep a clean sheet (well the penalty this round was dubious, but we all have to admit they got other chances that could be converted)

Maybe we really do exchange our defense for attacks?

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Is Arteta missing fir this one? Wonder who they'd play at DM without him? They brought wilshere on against palace

Sionach

Resident Athiest
MarkMcC said:
Is Arteta missing fir this one? Wonder who they'd play at DM without him? They brought wilshere on against palace
I don't think Arteta will miss this game. His suspension will be for the carling cup game.

rab

MarkMcC said:
Nope he misses the midweek league cup game against Chelsea.

Can hope that they might try and rotate and rest a couple of players for their Champions League game the following week but Flamini aside they look to be full strength at the moment.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
rab said:
Nope he misses the midweek league cup game against Chelsea.

Can hope that they might try and rotate and rest a couple of players for their Champions League game the following week but Flamini aside they look to be full strength at the moment.
Hope Chelsea can kick them out of League Cup. And the fear of dropping out of CL early would make them keep one eye away from the match against us and we coudl nick a win.

Afterall, they may drop down to 3rd, 1 point behind if they lost to us. But even a draw against Dortmund might not be enough to keep them in CL campaign. Surely their priority should be elsewhere from next week match

rab

gingerbread said:
Hope Chelsea can kick them out of League Cup. And the fear of dropping out of CL early would make them keep one eye away from the match against us and we coudl nick a win.

Afterall, they may drop down to 3rd, 1 point behind if they lost to us. But even a draw against Dortmund might not be enough to keep them in CL campaign. Surely their priority should be elsewhere from next week match
I think he'll go with the kids and squad players in the Carling Cup. The likes of Gnarby, Rosicky, Bendtner and Jenkinson getting games. Then he'll be able to go with a strong, fresh side against us knowing they have three days to recover for the CL game Wednesday.

Likelihood is they'll need just a draw away in Napoli to qualify even if they lose to Dortmund. With the start they've had in the league I can't see Wenger resting players or letting his team take their eye off the ball.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
gingerbread said:

Saddley that won't happen, Arsenal will play a full strength team against us baring injurys, They won't want to take their eye off the league as that's the best way back into the CL for them. Also if we want to break into the top 4 or even win the league we have to beat the better teams in the league.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Liveforthereds said:
Saddley that won't happen, Arsenal will play a full strength team against us baring injurys, They won't want to take their eye off the league as that's the best way back into the CL for them. Also if we want to break into the top 4 or even win the league we have to beat the better teams in the league.
An away draw would not be too bad either.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
lfc.eddie said:
An away draw would not be too bad either.
Yes a draw would do but it would be great to get a win down there it's not been a good place to go over the years since they moved into the new stadium.

lovepool

Liveforthereds said:
Yes a draw would do but it would be great to get a win down there it's not been a good place to go over the years since they moved into the new stadium.
Unbeaten in our last 3 there I think

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
lovepool said:
Unbeaten in our last 3 there I think
In the last 3 years 1 win 2 draws away to them better than I thought but since 2010 we have only beat them once in the league not a great record and one I would like to see bettered. Which ever way you look at it are record since the move has not been great.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Enjoyable 4-1 win, and we could have scored more - mind you WBA had a few chances themselves; our defense is still a work in progress!
Impressed with the performance of Lucas who appeared to be back to his best, also no complaints about Stevie G or Hendo either!
Suarez was magikal! We'll have to create new superlatives for this genius because he's going to better this wonderful performance many times this season.
Looking forward to the Arsenal game as it'll be a stern test, but we are unbeaten there for 3 games. A draw would be satisfactory.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I'm glad that BR sticks with the 3-5-2, it's working amazingly, unbeaten for 4 games now with 3 wins and scoring 12 goals. That is something else.

TBFS

Quagmire81 said:
I'm glad that BR sticks with the 3-5-2, it's working amazingly, unbeaten for 4 games now with 3 wins and scoring 12 goals. That is something else.
Despite some who are seemingly never happy, it's very difficult to argue with our results with this formation so far this season. Seems to suit our players very well. A fit Coutinho makes for a very nice headache for BR though.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
TBFS said:
Despite some who are seemingly never happy, it's very difficult to argue with our results with this formation so far this season. Seems to suit our players very well. A fit Coutinho makes for a very nice headache for BR though.
My take on why it works so well, is as simple as having two strikers up front compare to just one, it makes up for a lot. And with the quality of Sturridge and Suarez then there's bound be scored lots of goals.

About coutinho, then I guess Rodgers will switch the Centre set up from 1-2 to 2-1, and pull Gerrard back next to lucas, and have Phil ahead of them. Gonna be interesting to see him in this formation, and how it will fare.

OOTer

TIA New Signing
^^ if that's the case, and if our WBs are forced back into a 5 man defence. Then we could end up with effectively a 7 man defensive unit. With the 3 front men released from all defensive duties they can soley concentrate on counter attacking.

If so surely we can restrict them opportunities and have enough in attack to make some good chances of our own. Would a 7-1-2 formation work?

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Lol. I think I thought I was in the pre-match gooner thread. Doh!

Drubas

Quagmire81 said:
The risk is that a team that is good at holding the ball high up the pitch, and passing the ball from side to side, will force the left and right defender to play defense. Instead of 3-5-2, it becomes 5-3-2. Unfortunately, I think Arsenal is probably the team that is best siuted to push us back.

When the ball is won, we are completely outnumbered in midfield and have no way of keeping the possession for an extended period of time.