• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post-Match: Liverpool 4 Everton 0

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Dane said:
They are referred to as the Bitters because they had just won the league when the Heysel ban was enforced, meaning they couldn't compete in the European Cup.
That makes sense actually. I'd always thought that they were just plain jealous. :D

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
EdWood said:
That makes sense actually. I'd always thought that they were just plain jealous. :D
Imagine how upset they were when they almost lost out on the oppotunity again when we won it in 05'

Uefa made a new rule so they could get the chance to qualify, and they failed :D

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
zooz said:
- Use Firefox (and never IE) or anything else.
- Use an anti-virus (preferably with a firewall). AVG is free.
- And most important, USE AdBlock Plus extension on Firefox.

Never had any problem in the past five years and I stream games all the time.

With the above stuff, never had any problem on http://gofirstrow.eu
AVAST has pretty much superceded AVG as the free AV of choice...........worth a look. Agree with Adblock plus, I use it at home and it's only when I surf at work that I realise how many Ads I would be subjected to if I didn't have it. It's controversial though I think as some sites only operate due to the revenue they get from the ads.. Everyone using adblock means no revenue.............

Brouhahaha

Banned Users
The fact that we managed to win 4-0, and it could should have been a couple more, despite having less of the ball and being out-passed by Everton in terms of quantity, suggests to me that Rodgers is using the template set out by the Uruguay national side where the team plays a low'ish block, looks for a transition and then hit teams on the counter with pace and precision. We saw a bit of this earlier in the season with good effect.

Getting the first goal becomes vital when playing with this strategy, it will open the opposition up for even more breaks. Going behind negates the counter attack a bit because some teams would be willing to drop back a bit and defend the lead. Rodgers constantly bangs on about goals and getting the vital first one. It may also help explain our bright starts to games, particularly at home where we can go 2-3 up within 35 minutes.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Rewatched this game last night, and just realized what an emotional kicking that must have been for Everton supporters. Not just the score, but the whole cadence of it. Their two best spells in the whole game are probably from 27 mins to 32 mins, and the first 5-6 minutes of the second half. Every time they had anything to lift their spirits, they got hit harder.

Brouhahaha

Banned Users
Arminius said:
Rewatched this game last night, and just realized what an emotional kicking that must have been for Everton supporters. Not just the score, but the whole cadence of it. Their two best spells in the whole game are probably from 27 mins to 32 mins, and the first 5-6 minutes of the second half. Every time they had anything to lift their spirits, they got hit harder.
Rope-a-dope counter-attacking. Could have turned out different though if Barkley's drive early on or Miralas' shot had gone in.

Lucas

Just revisiting this thread because I don't think it has fully sunk in that we battered the bitters 4-0!

4-0!!

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Brouhahaha said:
Rope-a-dope counter-attacking. Could have turned out different though if Barkley's drive early on or Miralas' shot had gone in.
Could be. 7-2 by my reckoning. Sounds more like us. :D

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Brouhahaha said:
Getting the first goal becomes vital when playing with this strategy, it will open the opposition up for even more breaks. Going behind negates the counter attack a bit because some teams would be willing to drop back a bit and defend the lead. Rodgers constantly bangs on about goals and getting the vital first one. It may also help explain our bright starts
Yeah. Check BR's response to our 1st goal. He knows how important that is. Also closing the game out to half time seems up there in this system, if we are ahead that is.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Yikes. Watching the BT broadcast of the game. Darren Fletcher and Michael Owen commentating? Effing terrible these two. You poor Brits

lovepool

Semmy said:
Yikes. Watching the BT broadcast of the game. Darren Fletcher and Michael Owen commentating? Effing terrible these two. You poor Brits
Owen is a joke and can barely construct a sentence. He does his best to spoil even the best of matches

Kinny Riddle

TIA New Signing
Quagmire81 said:
Imagine how upset they were when they almost lost out on the oppotunity again when we won it in 05'

Uefa made a new rule so they could get the chance to qualify, and they failed :D
Not quite.

2005 was the last year a country was allowed 5 clubs into the CL. Back then, league position was more of a optional criteria rather than a mandatory criteria for a country's FA to choose who to represent their country in the CL.

Prior to the CL final, the FA cheekily submitted a nomination for the clubs who finish top 4: Chavs, Arsenal, Scum and Bitters, thus throwing the problem into UEFA's court should we end up winning it.

UEFA got around the problem by removing Liverpool's country protection and have us start from the 1st qualifying round, which explains why we drew the Chavs in the Group Stage in 2005/2006.

The Bitters on the other hand, could not even make full use of the opportunity that the FA granted them as they got thrashed 2-4 in aggregate by Villarreal. i.e. They only have themselves to blame. B)

UEFA subsequently changed the rules so that a country could only have 4 teams max, regardless of whether the Champions finish outside the top 4 or not, thus the Chavs qualified in 2012 at the Spuds' expense.

dt_ynwa

TIA Youth Team
Just got back home last might after a few ridiculously drunken days in Liverpool, all fueled by the incredible match on Tuesday! Only my second ever match at Anfield and I couldn't have been more spoiled.

I was always confident going into it but didn't expect us to make it look so easy. Four goals, a clean sheet, watching the sheer brilliance of Suarez, Gerrard, Sturridge and co. in the flesh all whilst singing away in the Kop and passing our glorious banners around, was fucking wonderful!

:D