• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post-Match: Liverpool 4 Everton 0

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
I cant believe we just battered Everton 4-0. Unbelieveable. It could & should have been 5-0. Awful penalty. Subbing Sturridge when he did was a good call - he had forgotten the team and at times his position in his hunt for a 3rd. Up and until that point (the pen miss) he had done well.

I think that was Coutinhos most complete performance in a red shirt. He hassled and harried Everton, pressed well and was strong in the tackle (the most physical I have seen him) add to that his excellent use of the ball, his runs with the ball and his ability to be a constant outlet for the side. Top class stuff.

Cissokho is poor. The defensive unit tonight kept a clean sheet however so he gets a pat on the back, even if he was the worst one on the field he did do his job.

Sterling is developing nicely this term. Streched Evertons back line considerably. Made some great runs. Unlucky not to get in on the scoring. Did well to earn the pen. Keep it up son!

Gerrard & Hendo were fantastic. Well played guys. Hendo did a lot of dirty work which often goes unnoticed - chasing, closing down, blocking - a much more disciplined performance than the one against Villa. Still made forward runs but certainly not as many and was a proper midfiled partner for the excellent Stevie G.

Well done Jon Flannagan - kept Evertons strong left flank silent. Excellent.

SAS - overall brill. just keep being brilliant.

Alcaraz is shite.

Urban Achiever

Wow..... what a spectacular victory.

What won it, I think, was mostly our pressing, backtracking and the team defending as a unit. We saw nothing in attack that we're not used to, with these fantastic players we have. But defensively.... the entire team pressured the life out of Evertons game. Hats off to Everton who actually showed how good a team they are by keeping on playing and performing under such an enormous pressure from us.

If this is the way Rodgers wants to play I can understand his vision a bit better. It takes very, very much running from the entire team to work like that and you need at least 4 players aggressively pressing for the ball whenever not in possesion. What made the difference was that they actually did until around the 65th minute. Wow!
If we got our injured players back soon and was able to put in such a work-effort every game we'd be almost impossible to beat.
Another thing that worked was us standing deeper..... compared to the Villa and Bournemouth games we didn't get overrun in midfield by standing too high with our attack. It resembled Dortmunds game quite a bit, I reckon ???

I was a bit disappointed with Sturridge and Suarez arguing and yelling at eachother on a night like that, but maybe that's the "drive" talking.... just think it's a bit ridiculous to see players acting like that on such a night.

The defence looked 10 times better!! Again I think the difference comes from the midfield defending and the collective helping out. The fullbacks were never left alone without cover and the fullbacks themselves never missed a run back (Take notice Glen Johnson:))

Finally: You know you're winning when my man Aly Cissokho actually does a couple of sliding tackles AND WINS THE BALL! Holy shit... now we just need him to get his passes to stay on the pitch:) Nah.... I actually think even Cissokho did alright and especially his defending is pretty OK and he always puts in the work. He's the living proof that you can come a long way if you work hard. Kelly did very well when he came on...... but with Flannagan + Enrique and Johnson coming back we might be OK until summer!

Now let's land two quality signings and I'm a changed man!!!!!

Perth Red

Deep in the wilds of outback Queensland
Kelly certainly looked much sharper and quicker than he has so far - hopefully we will see him and Flanno fully fit in time for them to both play against Arsenal - dread to think what they will do to the Cissko Kid otherwise!

Top class performance bar the poor old left back - he just got roasted too easily and couldn't pick a pass over 10m if his life depended on it!!

Keep it going for the WBA trip then let's get at those Gooners!

starshadow

ptt said:
I need to lie down in a dark room with a stiff drink, positivity from Rich........
Well thats one of the signs of the apocalypse ticked ...

DCJ

TIA Youth Team
ILLOK said:
Cissokho was absolutely fine.

Compare his performance to the one by Wisdom vs Miralles in Rodgers first season for example and it's night and day. Cissokho is pretty awful on the ball but he was very solid in defence and he really doesn't deserve to be singled out for criticism tonight. Nobody does.
I agree about cissokho, not impressed with his contribution at start of season. but he has grown on me. An honest, hard working and modest guy who gives 100% each time he has been on. Not a world class left back but to be fair he is loan and was brought in case of injury to enrique. Was dropped in at the deep end is starting to perform well. Gets better each match and a good squad player. Needs to improve his distribution and crosses. As such we should be praising (modestly) not knocking.

DCJ

TIA Youth Team
Great match, good performance from everyone.

4 - 0 flattered them but then whats the point destroying them and their morale……... we might need them nick some points for us against our real top four opponents :D

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I don't know if many people caught it, after the final whistle when the players are heading into the tunnel, you can see Kenny there absolutely glowing and congratulating the players. priceless.

Have to put in a good word for Everton, they kept on playing and tried to get back in up to the last second.

The pressure our midfielders put on their players was amazing, was especially surprised to see how much defencive work sterling and coutinho made, which I believe was the main reason why Stevie and Hendo weren't over run.
Flanagan was just awesome, If he continues like this, he might have a busy summer, going to brazil.
Cissokho wasn't bad, kept his side quiet, and mopped up nicely whenever something came his way. still, I can't remember if I ever saw a player so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. his lack of confidence is showing for all to see. Better teams will try to exploit it.

I think FSG shsould sign SG on a 60 year derby contract. I don't care, 60 years from now, roll SG to the pitch in his wheelchair, disonnect him from the life support system, and unleash him against Everton.

P.S.
I am not sure that playing this way against Arsenal, City or Chelsea will work. giving a team with a midfield and offence like city 60% possesion will cost us.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
Great game - I thought it was fairly even in the first half - they were still quite dangerous I thought - though maybe thats with me thinking the last game with them and how they punished us.
They sure did miss Lukaku - a target man upfront and Barkley seems to fade also
Should have put more against them in the 2nd half - a few bad calls by the lino's prevented that

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Joe90 said:
Great win over the Smurfs. Only way to make it better would be Sturridge scoring his third and a Smurf getting sent off...

They actually played some really good football. I know you true Scousers hate them but to give credit where its due, they played very well in spots.

Which actually made the victory THAT MUCH BETTER...

Why do you guys call them 'Bitters'? Sorry, I'm from New Zealand and just don't get these hateful local rivalries...
I am a true scouser & have lived here all my life. I don't hate them at all. In fact I would much prefer them to win something than London or Manchester clubs. Anything that brings honour to our great city. If we can't win it then for me I want Everton to win it. If we don't make CL then Everton over United, Spurs etc every time.

Don't forget in this city you can have brothers & fathers & sons supporting different clubs. Some of our greatest players have been boyhood Everton supporters. Carra, Owen, Fowler, McManaman and further back Steve McMahon and many others.

Having said that I did enjoy sticking it up them last night.........

I believe the bitters tag comes from their quite understandable bitterness when they weren't allowed to play in the European Cup, after winning the league, due to our fans disgraceful behaviour at the Heysel disaster. I somehow think we would have felt none too happy either if it had been the other way round.

They were never called that before. Were always the Toffees.

Rooster

What a hit son
Haven't had time to go over 200+ posts yet so sorry if I double up. My key takes;

- Big big save by Mig at 1-0. A couple of minutes later it was 2-0. So important.

- Possession stats wow. They killed us at Anfield. BR must have thought fuck possession, efficient sharp counter is the way to go against the high defence.

- Well done BR to drag Sturridge. I think he lost team focus at 4-0 and was desperate for the hatty. He will learn though.

- No problems with the arguments between Luis and Sturridge. But Sturridge dismissing BR is bad form. Hopefully kiss and make up for all and SAS continues on its merry way.

- Coutinho was a marvel and his best game all year.

- Despite the score and ordinary defence, Everton have a good style. Still a good Europa chance and will hopefully take points off our rivals.

- BR knows more than me, But I want to see more of Alberto. I know it's hard with the front 4 firing but I like what I see.

Overall a passing and counter Masterclass and will scare the shit out of the big guns due to visit Anfield by season end.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Redragbull said:
Awesome first 45 we ripped them to shreds, pleased with the formation shift, great atmosphere. Superb entertainment. Bring on Arsenal.
You got west brom first and we got palace. so lets take one game at a time.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Everything went perfectly last night and i have nothing further to add except one question:

Is it me or is Mirallas the most obnoxious cunt to have played for them in a long time?

koptician

We'll go again!
lfc.8 said:
Just a brilliant performance all round. Just a pity Sturridge rushed the penalty somewhat and missed.
Should have done a Panenka!
Claymenza said:
I always knew gerrard was potent in the air. We've never seen him on the end of it since he's always sending the set pieces. good variation though.
Istanbul?

koptician

We'll go again!
Semmy said:
The only thing that is keeping me from watching that game again is episode 2 of season 4 of Shameless in hopes of seeing Fiona's tits again.
:D :D :D

koptician

We'll go again!
shachart said:
I don't know if many people caught it, after the final whistle when the players are heading into the tunnel, you can see Kenny there absolutely glowing and congratulating the players. priceless.

Have to put in a good word for Everton, they kept on playing and tried to get back in up to the last second.

The pressure our midfielders put on their players was amazing, was especially surprised to see how much defencive work sterling and coutinho made, which I believe was the main reason why Stevie and Hendo weren't over run.
Flanagan was just awesome, If he continues like this, he might have a busy summer, going to brazil.
Cissokho wasn't bad, kept his side quiet, and mopped up nicely whenever something came his way. still, I can't remember if I ever saw a player so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. his lack of confidence is showing for all to see. Better teams will try to exploit it.

I think FSG shsould sign SG on a 60 year derby contract. I don't care, 60 years from now, roll SG to the pitch in his wheelchair, disonnect him from the life support system, and unleash him against Everton.

P.S.
I am not sure that playing this way against Arsenal, City or Chelsea will work. giving a team with a midfield and offence like city 60% possesion will cost us.
Don't think we will. Especially this season we are seeing how Brendan can completely change the team's setup from match to match to counter how our opponents line up. This is one of his strengths. At times he takes it too far (see Villa home) but it's definitely a weapon we have.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
A perfect performance! Oh so sweet, so very sweet! And the pictures of the bitter opposition fans was the icing on the cake! I've never known fans who were THAT bitter! The hatred they have for us is quite frightening!

Special mention to young Stirling who was, and has been awesome for the past four or so games, and his defensive work is to be applauded. I wasn't too impressed with young Stirling up until four games ago, but now, well he's a delight to watch. Also the defensive work put in by our two amazing forwards has to be commended.

Our Belgian keeper was back to his usual safe self, he did all that was asked of him. Skirts, its such a relief not seeing him try to undress opposition players in our box! Played well did Martin. As did Kolo and young Flanno-

Damn it the whole team was awesome - even, ahem, Cissoko!

Shame Daniel rushed his pen and fluffed another decent chance - but hey, 4-0 against the bitters is - OH SO SWEET, OH SO SWEET!!!

A very good night indeed! I was confident of a 2-0 win, so to score 4 was a great bonus! Bearing in mind we are still a work in progress, it was most pleasing!

Time for my Henri Winterman Half Corona........................................ :D

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Are these sites safe? I have recently given up on streams after getting a virus from Wiziwig. Had the Cheshire Police scam freeze my screen while watching the Villa game. Whether it is connected I am not sure but have now had my gmail hacked.....

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Rambler said:
Are these sites safe? I have recently given up on streams after getting a virus from Wiziwig. Had the Cheshire Police scam freeze my screen while watching the Villa game. Whether it is connected I am not sure but have now had my gmail hacked.....
They are most emphatically not safe. A good chunk of them are operated for the explicit purpose of spreading some of those hacks.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Joe90 said:
Great win over the Smurfs. Only way to make it better would be Sturridge scoring his third and a Smurf getting sent off...

They actually played some really good football. I know you true Scousers hate them but to give credit where its due, they played very well in spots.

Which actually made the victory THAT MUCH BETTER...

Why do you guys call them 'Bitters'? Sorry, I'm from New Zealand and just don't get these hateful local rivalries...
Short for 'the bitter and twisted ones'. A lot of Everton fans even acknowledge the epithet, so fair do's to them.

This is a reference to our almost total domination of English football from the mid-70s to the early 90's when we overshadowed them (and the rest) to an enormous degree. Our five wins of old 'Big Ears' merely rubbed salt in the wounds.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
This was a high quality performance. Mesmerizing. We thumped them. Our football was so elegant,beautiful, short of superlatives.
Gerrard simply raised his game to a different level. For me, the best player was flanno. He was rock solid. He is going to be a superb player for us . Great to see coutinho back to his magical best. And of course, we have Suarez, who is simply, let's say out of this world.
This should boost our confidence, let's hope we continue this momentum.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Rambler said:
never had any problems myself with the streams and its been quite a few years now! certainly no unwanted virus attacks! VIP Box has served me well.

maybe I've just been lucky!

enjoyed the foreign commentary last night though, GGGOOOOAAALLLLL was a lovely scream from whoever it was commentating!

OOTer

TIA New Signing
scouseheadross said:
I thought it ended 4-0? :scratch:

Need to stop calling it SAS as Sterling is just as big a part of the front three....
Can we call them SSShhh!!?