• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool 4 Notts County 2

brush85

A few of them forgot that they are professionals and as professionals, you take every game with a good attitude, whoever your opponent may be.

Toure getting hurt is brutal news.

trygve76

TIA New Signing
I'm really worried about Kolo... If he's fit for the weekend, I'd be very surprised. Time to open up the chequebooks and get the signings done and dusted.

On the match itself...meh. We should have been six up by half time. Hard to tell what happened, too many players went into energy conserving mode a little too early, perhaps.

Thought Sturridge could have done more tonight, two goals notwithstanding. Also disappointed in Ibe, I actually thought he got worse and worse as the match progressed. Happy with Sterling's input though.

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Cobblers to the result, we didn't need that and i think the owners will hopefully get a couple of signings done. at least one must be ready to go into defensive duties straight away............

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
That was quite a close shave. Three players injured, several post-hits, and the players getting complacent during the second half. That's when you get into sh*t, but thankfully the lads reacted when being ten men down, and scored two good goals during extra-time.

Fingers crossed the injuries aren't too bad, and tonight's fight won't handicap us too badly on Sunday.

MoM Sturridge for me, with two well-taken goals.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
3 lessons from this game:
- take the game serious, and we can play better with 10 men than 11
- youngsters are inexperienced, and rash with too much impatient never forget that
- our previous campaign has little injury. Does not mean it will this time.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
It looks bad for Toure. Once he went down he didn't move. Could be a lengthy spell out.

I feel desperately sorry for him. He'd come in pre-season as a back up, made himself first choice and then got fucked because his team-mates couldn't put away a league one outfit. Cruel.

abcd

Bad night all round but at least the team showed enough character to get there in the end. Its not ideal ahead of the weekend but once again highlights that more options are needed if you want to achieve anything.

Really not happy with the sloppy nature of a number of performers but anyway onwards to the weekend.

Mascot88

Admin
gingerbread said:
3 lessons from this game:
- take the game serious, and we can play better with 10 men than 11
- youngsters are inexperienced, and rash with too much impatient never forget that
- our previous campaign has little injury. Does not mean it will not this time.
Show our opponents - whoever they are - respect. Thought we came out for the second half looking disinterested.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
Ok, the negatives are very obvious to everyone so I will look for the few positives.

1. Through to the next round
2. 4 goals, another 2 for Sturridge - keeps that run going.
3. Shown again that fighting spirit, in the past might have seen us capitulate and throw it away.

That's mostly all I could find.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
4-2 FT

Think Rodgers should count himself fortunate this one wasn't lost

May have done us a favour in that it might have brought home a couple of key points

1. We have still complacent players in our team. Glen Johnson = Mr Complacency with a cape to match

2. Making a 32 year old freebie who hasn't played a full season in 3 years a key first team presence and undroppable is a flawed strategy

3. Got to stop arsing about in the transfer market. I wasn't just external pressures, our squad lacks bodies because we have even selling 2 players for every one bought for the last 4 or 5 windows. That has to stop now and buying to start because we may now have overdone it

Some things though are on Rodgers watch. Bad set piece coaching and though Sturridge keeps on scoring, would rather Borini played 120 minutes in this and Danny play the 90 at the weekend than the other way around. Hope he will be ok

Exposed several flaws this, but some can be fixed up to a pint before the window shuts if we can stop messing around and dragging our feet are you listening FSG? It's all very well culling the squad but you need the numbers and the replacements

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Sturridge, in the post-match interview: "we were a bit complacent in the second half"

Reverse

TIA Reserve Team
I hated that performance but this team has got spirit. Liverpool team of last year gets beat when Toure goes off.

jabu

TIA New Signing
dont know were to begin!!! now i know why BR needs a winger and cannot count on the two kids... they are simply not ready, some of the decisionmaking in the final third by ibe and sterlng jus appalling....daniel sturridge must learn to give jus as much as he recieves... coutinho is always setting him up, it would not hurt one bit to once a while lift ur head daniel and see the options available and return the favour... good game notts county!!!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
mr mustard said:
Could say a lot of things, but I won't, Reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw5ZskPXVzg
Posting this vid seems a bit strange, I can't see the relation with tonight. This is a man who brought us to the two finals we could get to in his full season with us, remember? And just for your info, we won tonight, so how does this relate to that loss against Bolton? :scratch:

YNWAGerrard

Wow that was a nervewrecking performance again...
When it went into extra time I was dreading the same fate we had against reading a few years back ):
Some great goals but we could've ended it earlier had our players taken their chances.

Really worried about kolo, I hope this is a wake up call to Brendan to get a centre-half ASAP.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Hope in your heart said:
Posting this vid seems a bit strange, I can't see the relation with tonight. This is a man who brought us to the two finals we could get to in his full season with us, remember? And just for your info, we won tonight, so how does this relate to that loss against Bolton? :scratch:
I think that's how he visualizes the dressing room right about now.

Mascot88

Admin
I think Rodgers got the selection utterly wrong, and when I posted that we needed to concentrate on United at the weekend, this is exactly what I was afraid of. Three injuries, and most of the first team playing 120 minutes.

I'm absolutely at a loss why Borini didn't start. Sturridge, despite his two goals, should have been nowhere near that side. Seeing him sat in front of the Kop having his thighs massaged, with a weekend game against Man Utd to consider, didn't make for pleasant viewing,

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
As good a lesson in complacency as you are likely to see. The team really needs to learn from this, you can't take lower division teams lightly. They are stocked full of very powerfully built blokes who can tackle and hustle and get the ball to bob around in your penalty area and who are well trained in set pieces.

It was nearly a re-run of last year's FA cup.

However there are some positives

1. We progress
2. Mental strength looks better, we played and recovered well, especially after going down to 10 men
3. Sturridge's confidence going into Sunday must be sky high.
4. With some players getting injured it might speed up a couple of transfers - if this happened 1 week AFTER the window closed it would have been much more serious.

This game really shows how we have built our team and approach around Luis. When it was 11 v 11 we dominated possession but couldn't break them down (in the 2nd half anyway) without Luis' creativity.

When we were forced into a counter-attacking style we were much much better. Actually if the Mancs dominate possessin against us it actually might suit us better. Worth considering.

Urban Achiever

Very, very dissapointed with the second half. A ridiculous amount of players we're just jogging around not even sprinting home etc.
Also, I must say I'm really shocked by the defensive errors leading up to the goals :-(
Incredible that so many players have not yet learned the lesson.
Ev'rybody knows that all it takes is 1 lucky goal and they're back in the game and yet we get caught with 6 players on their half again and again after losing the ball by taking pointless chances.

Having said that the worst was of course the injuries.

The difference between this season and last seems to be that now we pull ourselves back up and win the games instead of falling completely apart.

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
I think it's actually going to work in our favour. Games like this wake the whole squad up. Yes we have some injury concerns and a few tired legs but they WILL play as a team on Sunday....bring on the Mancs 2-1 or 3-0!

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Just gotta be Sakho in now at LCB (or else Toby at RCB) ... or both of them !

No way we can survive at CB ...with Skrtel already being injured, plus now Coates and (probably) Kolo too.
Doesn't look like an injury that Kolo can just shake off. Bah ...and double bah! Who's up then? Sama?

trygve76

TIA New Signing
At least with Kolo out for a good bit we don't have a choice: Quality replacements must be in before the weekend. A possible silver lining.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
If this can catch the scum off guard and bring us three points, then Kolo sacrifice will be worth it.

Games like these only can be judged by weekend result

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
Kolo's injury is certainly a concern, but that aside, the hysteria isn't warranted (It's been a long time since I've 'experienced' an in-match thread - were they always so bad...?). As with Stoke & Villa, I think this is another example of a game we'd have lost last season.

I'm still confident ahead of Sunday. It's a myth that a professional footballer can't play 210 minutes in five days; it happens all the time, in reality.