• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool 4 Notts County 2

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
I was listening to the game in work. Can someone who was watching explain to me what Brendan means when he says (of Toure), "his groin opened up a wee bit"?

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Injury update

Cissokho - Not to long, just a knock on his ankle
Allen - Could be hamstring
Toure - Doesnt no

mr mustard

TIA Reserve Team
Hope in your heart said:
Posting this vid seems a bit strange, I can't see the relation with tonight. This is a man who brought us to the two finals we could get to in his full season with us, remember? And just for your info, we won tonight, so how does this relate to that loss against Bolton? :scratch:
He's questioning the attitude of the players. Even though we won, I think we could do the same tonight.

I certainly didn't mean to disrespect Kenny.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Yeah.

Coates, Kelly, Skrtel, Toure all injured. Agger and Wisdom left fit.

I would think we'll push really hard for Sakho and Ilori.

In fact, when you consider the full backs we've only got four fit defenders - fuck me!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Mascot88 said:
I think Rodgers got the selection utterly wrong, and when I posted that we needed to concentrate on United at the weekend, this is exactly what I was afraid of. Three injuries, and most of the first team playing 120 minutes.

I'm absolutely at a loss why Borini didn't start. Sturridge, despite his two goals, should have been nowhere near that side. Seeing him sat in front of the Kop having his thighs massaged, with a weekend game against Man Utd to consider, didn't make for pleasant viewing,
My biggest gripe is him starting Kolo. He was getting better and better, but expecting a 32-years old who hasn't played regularly the two seasons before to start two times inside of four days, and take him to extra-time against a rough lower-level team is pure madness imo. BR will deserve all the blame coming his way if we have to start against the mancs with Wisdom/Agger as CB pairing.

At least, Gerrard seems to have gone through this unscathed, hopefully he can be wrapped up in cotton wool until sunday. Was worried for Sturridge as well (still not 100% up to scratch by BR's own admission), but he's younger and will probably recover in time.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
cardiffpete said:
Just gotta be Sakho in now at LCB (or else Toby at RCB) ... or both of them !
Thinking the same ting myself. I don't see PSG selling Sakho before deadline day, but Toby makes too much sense right now not to pull the trigger on.

Superior Complex

Toby for 6 million you just can't go wrong even cover wise. Sakho as well...

Need defenders ASAP.

Downing, I think he was useless but we haven't replaced him.

Squad is looking thin in August.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
El Cuchillero said:
I'm still confident ahead of Sunday. It's a myth that a professional footballer can't play 210 minutes in five days; it happens all the time, in reality.
So do the injuries that result - it is hard to quantify the performance hit, particularly across differing ages, but there is basically irrefutable evidence that the chance of injury is 600% greater.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
mr mustard said:
He's questioning the attitude of the players. Even though we won, I think we could do the same tonight.

I certainly didn't mean to disrespect Kenny.
Ah ok, cheers for clearing this up, mate.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
ubermick said:
Bet Rodgers is in the dressing room right now frantically stuffing some envelopes.
Hopefully with 100 Euro notes to pay Salvo's agent and ensure his swift transfer

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
trygve76 said:
I'm really worried about Kolo... If he's fit for the weekend, I'd be very surprised. Time to open up the chequebooks and get the signings done and dusted.
We are not going to get a CB better than Toure if we had a full window let alone this late. His body isn't used to playing 90 minutes on the weekend anymore let alone on short freaking rest. Sturridge is just coming back from fitness. Stevie isn't 25 years old anymore. None of them should be out playing against a freaking midtable league one side in this second rate competition.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Yeah someone mentioned earlier that we are shedding more than are coming in each window and the same has happened this window.

I absolutely agree this has to stop now - we need more players to replace some of those who have left. Hopefully something happens in the next few days.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Mascot88 said:
Yeah.

In fact, when you consider the full backs we've only got four fit defenders - fuck me!
Well can we count Sterling in for RB? Our two emergency defenders Downing and Spearing already left so we need every man right now

LiVeRp0oL89

We don't need two centre backs in and we really don't need to be wasting 6m on Alderweireld.. We need Sakho above anyone (except Papa).

People are forgetting Skrtel is still here, who's to say he's leaving?

We're not going to have Agger, Sakho, Toure, Skrtel, Wisdom and Ilori/Alderweireld all as options..

We need ONE centre back urgently if Skrtel stays, TWO if he leaves.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Mascot88 said:
Yeah.

That's some really scary stuff ...right there.

And this game was supposed to just be an extended training session.

I do really like a small and tightly-knit squad (i.e. far better than having about 50 players like Chelsea have :) ) ...but goddamn it! Then you just can't afford 3x injured out in a single night and in a semi-meaningless game (to boot), one which we also really struggled to win as well.

kopite1982

I think skrtel will be fit by weekend! Wisdom was poor, for a big lad he gets outmuscled easily. Im really upset at the team selection especially as its notts county & yes its backfired!

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
King Aldo said:
Yeah someone mentioned earlier that we are shedding more than are coming in each window and the same has happened this window.

I absolutely agree this has to stop now - we need more players to replace some of those who have left. Hopefully something happens in the next few days.
Panic buying would be the worst thing we can do.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Lloyd Jones.

Anyone have an opinion on whether he's remotely ready to come in as cover? Seems really rated by the club, but I've seen little of him.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
That felt like early last season all over again but thankfully we got through, really concerned about the injuries and the weekend but hey we have Sturridge and with God on his side he can do anything!

JesusJuice

TIA New Signing
What the hell was Rodgers thinking! I am at an absolute loss as to his team selection, which resulted in three senior players injured. If borini ( who he bought ) does not start games like these, then when!? Notts county should be the perfect side to blood youngsters and test reserve players against. Thus avoiding injuries to key players, and ensuring you field a "hungry" side!

Had united been in two weeks this would still have been bad, as it stands that game is in 5 days and this was a disasterous judgement call by Brendan. I am honestly amazed by what I just witnessed!

Polito

Only caught the second half my from what i saw:

Henderson will be a beast of a player for this club, also there was a 2 minute spell around the 80th minute which highlighted why i believe he could be an awesome DM

Johnsons just turned cack, he is reckless with his attacking now as shown by Countys second goal. Its not even like he offers much anymore besides tryig to taking a player on everytime and mre often the not running into them.

Gerrard is spent after 55 minutes, he just becomes a passenger. This will get worse as the season unfolds. No fault of his own, hes getting on but we diffenately need to think of a atleast starting to groom a replacment in teh near future.

Sterling is a boss RB

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Mascot88 said:
Lloyd Jones.

Anyone have an opinion on whether he's remotely ready to come in as cover? Seems really rated by the club, but I've seen little of him.
To early for me, watched him a lot for the u-18's last season, and certainly looks one for the future, but hasnt even played that much for the u-21's.

Polito

Also brought up afew days ago that defense should be our priority the remainder of the wndow.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
ChicagoRed said:
Panic buying would be the worst thing we can do.
Agreed. But that's not what I meant.

What I meant was that if we are in for someone that we need "for football reasons" that we don't walk away because of an extra couple of million like we have a few times already with these owners.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
Arminius said:
So do the injuries that result - it is hard to quantify the performance hit, particularly across differing ages, but there is basically irrefutable evidence that the chance of injury is 600% greater.
True - but it's not as if Allen or Aly were in consideration for Sunday, anyway, and what was the alternative to Kolo this eve? Kelly, Coates and Skrtel are injured or in recovery. Perhaps it would've been more sensible to start with Agger alongside Wisdom, but it's a gamble both ways. I think it was logical that Kolo would start.