• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool 4 Notts County 2

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
King Aldo said:
Agreed. But that's not what I meant.

What I meant was that if we are in for someone that we need "for football reasons" that we don't walk away because of an extra couple of million like we have a few times already with these owners.
Over spending because we had to beat Notts County in a second rate cup isn't that much better.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
On the other hand, Rodgers could've picked an entirely second string and we might have lost. The injuries weren't Rodgers' fault and the going to extra time I'm sure wasn't part of his plan.

I for one am happy to wait till after the United game to see how much this has affected us. If we play a make-shift defence and they have a nightmare, then fair enough. If we win the match and keep a clean sheet, all this fuss will have been for nothing.

Polito

okocha10 said:
Do we have an option now?
Thats the thing we dont have to panic buy. Sakho and Alderweireld are both available at a reasonable price and they would be great additions to the club.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
El Cuchillero said:
True - but it's not as if Allen or Aly were in consideration for Sunday, anyway, and what was the alternative to Kolo this eve? Kelly, Coates and Skrtel are injured or in recovery. Perhaps it would've been more sensible to start with Agger alongside Wisdom, but it's a gamble both ways. I think it was logical that Kolo would start.
So what about all the players who are knackered then and not injured. Maybe they'll get injured on the weekend, or maybe we'll get or ass kicked by our biggest rivals, or maybe it will catch up with us down the road? Atleast there is an international break coming up for heavens sake.

Urban Achiever

Well, Rodgers was right with the team-selection in the sense that we apparently need our best players to (just) beat Notts County.
That's the really shocking thing about games like this.

Had it not been for the sublime quality of fx. Sturridge we would have probably lost the game.

I do not believe a team af our B-squad players would have beaten this opponent....... especially not with that attitude in the second half.

Someone needs to tell the players that opponents like that will give everything.... simply everything... for the entire 90 min as it's one of the greatest football experiences they'll ever have... and they know it, so they fight.... we don't and take it for a pre-season friendly. This mentality is unacceptable for a Liverpool first team and it needs to be adressed now. This Notts-comeback today was our own fault.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Toure was injured in extra time, this team should have finished Notts County in normal time, our weaker side and we are out tonight this attitude has been around the club for years.

Allen and Aly Cissoko would have played anyhow it was expected, Toure shouldn't have but then again who else?

Rodgers isn't putting limits on players needed which is interesting personally I'd sign two defenders we need it.

SGM

TIA Legend
JesusJuice said:
What the hell was Rodgers thinking! I am at an absolute loss as to his team selection, which resulted in three senior players injured. If borini ( who he bought ) does not start games like these, then when!? Notts county should be the perfect side to blood youngsters and test reserve players against. Thus avoiding injuries to key players, and ensuring you field a "hungry" side!

Had united been in two weeks this would still have been bad, as it stands that game is in 5 days and this was a disasterous judgement call by Brendan. I am honestly amazed by what I just witnessed!
Maybe take a Zanex mate.

He chose maybe 3 first teamers. We were very comfortable, but they dropped like flies. Shouldn't be Brendans fault we hit the post 3 times that sent us to extra time, when Kolo was hurt. We will see. More worried about the squad long term than just against United.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Mascot88 said:
Lloyd Jones.

Anyone have an opinion on whether he's remotely ready to come in as cover? Seems really rated by the club, but I've seen little of him.
May be a possible.

Would prefer him to get about 2 more years preparing - for the simply massive step-up myself ....but Jones does look to have a great future. For me, would be much too early though i.e. not ready at all yet. Sama a better bet, but also not at the level either.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
ChicagoRed said:
Over spending because we had to beat Notts County in a second rate cup isn't that much better.
You mean you don't want to strengthen the squad for the Premiership??? ... strange but as usual you and I are once again on different wave lengths so I think I will just stop replying to you after this.

Incidentally for those criticising BR I think that's unfair. He tried to learn from the FA cup last year.

His only real mistakes tonight were not saving a sub for a situation like what unfolded with Toure and not giving Borini a run.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
King Aldo said:
You mean you don't want to strengthen the squad for the Premiership??? ... strange but as usual you and I are once again on different wave lengths so I think I will just stop replying to you after this.

Incidentally for those criticising BR I think that's unfair. He tried to learn from the FA cup last year.

His only real mistakes tonight were not saving a sub for a situation like what unfolded with Toure and not giving Borini a run.
I want to strengthen the squad and first team all the time. If a deal is there to be done then do it. Not spend a few extra here and there after this latest joke, or go out after somebody we shouldn't or somebody we might have reservations for otherwise we already would've tried for perhaps. That is all mate.

slufsar

total bull this "show the opponent respect no matter who they are".

no. its not the opponent, its the tournaments that is the problem. liverpool should never put a good league season in jeopardy over capitol one cup.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
slufsar said:
total bull this "show the opponent respect no matter who they are".

no. its not the opponent, its the tournaments that is the problem. liverpool should never put a good league season in jeopardy over capitol one cup.
If players like Borini, Wisdom, Alberto, Sterling, Ibe, Hendo etc. can't beat Notts County in this competition then shame on them and so be it.

TheSweetSilverSong

Thoughts after tonight's game:

- Whenever we face lower division teams in cups, my expectation is that we should be battering them, but I'm always prepared that we may get a shock result (even a disqualification), regardless of what players we field. It is the law of cups, and it happened a thousand times to all top teams. I'm always considering it to be irrelevant to the League in terms of result.

- We started brilliantly. 2-0 at half time should have been the platform for one of those 5-0 batterings. But we got complacent (as Sturridge said in the post match interview), and allowed Notts in the game. All we had to do was keep playing like the first half, and control the game and add to the scoreline. But I think the players expected the goals to naturally come, and the minds started thinking about Sunday - big mistake. Credit to Notts, they played the game of their lives, never stopped chasing the ball, or any red player with the ball, relentlessly - we let them, but they did it.

- Important that we showed the character in the ET and got the two classy goals to make it 4-2. There are consequences yes. 3 players injured, that's very unlucky. Who knows how it's going to affect the game on Sunday. We'll just see. Toure's loss is massive, for sure. Will we have a new CB by then, with enough training with the team to play already? Will Toure be ok? (doubtful, but you never know)? Will Wisdom start and play well, or will his inexperience prove to be a liability? No one can tell for sure. We'll just see.

- This game has finished, and we are through to the 3rd round, even if it was the hard way. We'll know tomorrow against which team.
The mind now is completely onto the next game, and a game every Liverpool player and fan wants to win. Utd at Anfield is a must win, always, no matter how much harder injuries or tiredness makes it. But I think there's a huge difference between tuesday-sunday and wednesday-saturday, and fitness should be fine more or less - they had a monday game too, a quite intense one vs Chelsea.

- Sturridge keeps scoring, class!

- Henderson, his good games in red are such a joy to watch - I just hope they become the default very soon. At 23, I think that time is approaching indeed. What a goal today!

- Bring on Moyes and his Utd at Anfield!

RedLaw

JFT96
Brendan really is in a no-win situation with some people.

Last season he didn't take the domestic cups seriously, fielded weakened sides, went out of both competitions early and got hammered for it.

This year he's made a conscious effort to take them seriously, plays a strong team, wins the game tonight and gets as equally criticized for it.

Talk about some people being impossible to please...

kopite1982

@Richard_Buxton_: Rodgers confirms Martin Skrtel will be available for #LFC ahead of #MUFC clash. Set to assess Toure, Allen & Cissokho tomorrow

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Just caught Rodgers interview and he said Sturridge played because he need games to get his fitness levels up.
Personally I thought he got the selection fairly right. Had we continued in the second half as we played the first and scored another couple then Gerrard, Kolo and Danny would have made way. We have slipped on these banana skins before and this is our best chance of silverware this year so maybe a strong selection was warranted.
Who else could start at centre half? Only Dagger, Kolo and Wisdom are fit. Kelly, Skrtel and Coates out doesnt leave much room for change. Agger looked wrecked at Villa so the back 4 picked themselves unless you really want to put a youngster in there. In anycase another centre half should have been bought already and Richs point of our numbers being slowly eroded over time is valid.

On the game itself for me Glen Johnson needs a kick in the hole. He was at fault for both goals. No challenge on the header for the first and way out of position for the second. Watch for Glen being the next big wage earner out the door most likely next summer.

Wisdom is raw and error prone too, can see why Brendan was thinking of a loan for him before Coates got injured and forced a change of mind. We needed another centre half even with Kolo fit, 4 centre halves are required in the first team squad. Buy one now, Sakho if he is the one needs to be in tomorrow. Get on the phone and do the fucking deal.

Sturridge is going to score plenty if he stays fit but at times he can be greedy and prone to making the wrong choice in front of goal.
Sterling and Ibe have great potential but tonight showed why another wide player is really really needed. Be it Moses or Eriksen or even both get it done. No more fapping around we need these players asap.

Alberto looked a bit lost too but improved as he settled into the game. Not a bad home debut for a young player. Allen was our best midfield player before he went off. He seemed to pull a hamstring which is 2-3 weeks out. If its torn it could be 6-8 weeks.

Rodgers seemed to think Cissokko's injury was not too serious but he said Kolo might have "opened" his groin. A torn groin is a 8 week job depending on the severity of the injury. Hopefully its just a strain but he could not walk so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Finally Hendo, I keep saying this boy is the real deal and an athlete who could be a massive player for us. Did that charging run and finish not look reminiscent of Gerrard in his prime?

slufsar

RedLaw said:

Last season he didn't take the domestic cups seriously, fielded weakened sides, went out of both competitions early and got hammered for it.

This year he's made a conscious effort to take them seriously, plays a strong team, wins the game tonight and gets as equally criticized for it.

how do you know its the same people?

i didnt mind going out of the cups last season tbh. perhaps the fa cup because thats a proper cup, but definitely not capitol one cup.

Thomas

TIA Youth Team
slufsar said:
i didnt mind going out of the cups last season tbh. perhaps the fa cup because thats a proper cup, but definitely not capitol one cup.
Sickening as it sounds, the Capital One Cup is an important competition for us as it's probably our best (perhaps only realistic) chance of playing in Europe next year unless we pull off at least three astonishingly great signings this week.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Shocking performance today. Br needs to look at himself for the team selection re Gerrard Johnson sturridge and toure. Borini needs game time, Gerrard needed to wrapped up until Sunday and kolo is injury prone and we should look after him. Henderson Allen and Alberto midfield is well good enough to beat notts county and if it isn't well they shouldn't be at the club.

Positive Henderson looked really good when he came on and has to be first choice. It's not lookin good but sktrel wad training yesterday so hopefully he will be fit and hopefully he will show br what he is missing.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Cochise said:
Sickening as it sounds, the Capital One Cup is an important competition for us as it's probably our best (perhaps only realistic) chance of playing in Europe next year unless we pull off at least three astonishingly great signings this week.
We looked just fine so far in the league without our best player. The Capital one cup wasn't our only realistic shot for Europe. Not buying that at all.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
RedLaw said:

Not sure why you presume they're the same people. They might be, just don't know why you presume it.

RJK

Hmmmm. Some serious issues here me thinks. Result didn't matter. Injuries did. But we should never have had Kolo as part of our 1st choice centre pairing to start with. So now we have to go & get what we should've got a few weeks ago. A decent 1st team CB. More alarming is Allen & I hope he's not out long. He was running the show there. I know he's not automatic 1st choice but he's a loss. We've got LB covered & hopefully Cissokho also won't be out for long as he's looked good thus far.
The more worrying aspect is our fade outs. 3 games where we've looked completely in control in the 1st half, only to give that up almost completely in the 2nd. We got through by the skin of our teeth in our 1st two matches & struggled again today. Good teams don't stop & I worry about facing more potent teams. Surely managers see this & know that they're always in with a shout even if behind
We were fragile last year in defence, most notably from set pieces. There has been no sign of defensive coaching staff being brought in to remedy this. MAJOR concern. I don't 'blame' Brendan for his team selection today. I'm sure the idea was surely to shore this up before half time & make changes. What I do blame him for is not instilling a 90 minute work ethic into his players. Sloppy, careless performances from key individuals. I don't actually know why Johnson comes in for so much praise. He can certainly attack ok, but is sue in defence & loses possession far to easily for my liking. Without another 2 or 3 imports before the window closes, I don't see any better than 6th for this squad. Too many good teams ahead of us. Hope I'm wrong

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Wrong team selection...

I would rather take a 50%-50% chance of getting through to the next round with a team of youngsters than an 85%-15% chance risking the spine of the team that we need for Sunday...

120 minutes, 3 injuries and a lot of effort is going to really affect our chances on Sunday...

The only way we can progress to the next level is to get back into the top four and begin signing top quality players.
The league cup won't do that for us...

It's a win that doesn't feel like a win and will feel even worse on Sunday if it comes back to haunt us!

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Hope in your heart said:
My biggest gripe is him starting Kolo. He was getting better and better, but expecting a 32-years old who hasn't played regularly the two seasons before to start two times inside of four days, and take him to extra-time against a rough lower-level team is pure madness imo. BR will deserve all the blame coming his way if we have to start against the mancs with Wisdom/Agger as CB pairing.

At least, Gerrard seems to have gone through this unscathed, hopefully he can be wrapped up in cotton wool until sunday. Was worried for Sturridge as well (still not 100% up to scratch by BR's own admission), but he's younger and will probably recover in time.
Who does he play though Hope? Agger looked wasted at the weekend to me. Wisdom had
to play so it was one from Kolo or Danny.
Ideally Skrtel-Wisdom would start in this game if both were fit. Rest the first choice pair.
Kelly and Coates both out too in fairness.

Polito

You never know all these injuries could be a blessing in disguise. Skrtel could come back and with a point to prove play like he did when he won the player of the season. It could also stop the club from ermmming and awwing over afew million and get afew of either Sakho, Iiori or Alderweireld (or any other defender their concidering)

Thomas

TIA Youth Team
ChicagoRed said:
We looked just fine so far in the league without our best player. The Capital one cup wasn't our only realistic shot for Europe. Not buying that at all.
I hope you're right. Time will tell.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Thought County played well and we should give some credit to them. Tried to play it out from the back, not just knock it long. They choked a bit at 2-2 and with a one man advantage. I really thought we were going to lose at that point.

I think this was a wake-up call on several levels, especially in terms of squad strength. I wouldn't blame BR for fielding a strong team. Maybe he wanted to keep a winning run going. Maybe he wants to win a trophy. Maybe he just wants to remind his employers that the squad isn't particularly strong and we need reinforcements badly.

We are carrying a massive risk at CB. Toure has started well but I wouldn't want to be relying on him as first choice all season and Wisdom is nowhere near good enough yet to be covering in that position. I don't see the strong squad that others are seeing and have been writing about. I see a very thin but talented squad which will be quickly exposed with one or two injuries.

We got away with it but if anyone needed any evidence that there is still much work to do in the transfer market it was there tonight.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
T.C.B said:
My biggest gripe is him starting Kolo. He was getting better and better, but expecting a 32-years old who hasn't played regularly the two seasons before to start two times inside of four days, and take him to extra-time against a rough lower-level team is pure madness imo. BR will deserve all the blame coming his way if we have to start against the mancs with Wisdom/Agger as CB pairing.

At least, Gerrard seems to have gone through this unscathed, hopefully he can be wrapped up in cotton wool until sunday. Was worried for Sturridge as well (still not 100% up to scratch by BR's own admission), but he's younger and will probably recover in time.

Who does he play though Hope? Agger looked wasted at the weekend to me. Wisdom had

to play so it was one from Kolo or Danny.

Ideally Skrtel-Wisdom would start in this game if both were fit. Rest the first choice pair.

Kelly and Coates both out too in fairness.
What has happened to Kelly pretty sure I watched him last week v man u u21s. He has to step up next week if sktrel isn't fit.