• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool 4 Notts County 2

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Toure has a bit of "last ditch" about him and would have been injured sooner later. Shame it has happened now but it highlights why we needed another centre half in this window.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Dublin_Kopite said:
Wrong team selection...

I would rather take a 50%-50% chance of getting through to the next round with a team of youngsters than an 85%-15% chance risking the spine of the team that we need for Sunday...

120 minutes, 3 injuries and a lot of effort is going to really affect our chances on Sunday...

The only way we can progress to the next level is to get back into the top four and begin signing top quality players.
The league cup won't do that for us...

It's a win that doesn't feel like a win and will feel even worse on Sunday if it comes back to haunt us!
But..... We all knew that our first season out of Europe for ages would mean we could concentrate on the league, look how that turned out. If you're paid £20k + a week, you can play 2/3 games a week IMHO. Best team in each comp might shape us into a cohesive unit. Granted Kolo has an injury record and is 32 but I play several times a week and am 5 years older.

Didn't watch the game (imposs from here) but if BR would have fielded the kids and we'd lost, there'd be the same negativity in here. We won and will deal / cope with the injuries for the United game. 4 games, 9 points and still in all our competitions? Well, hopefully we'll come to that on Sunday.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
therealkeano1 said:
What has happened to Kelly pretty sure I watched him last week v man u u21s. He has to step up next week if sktrel isn't fit.
Not sure. I read he was injured. If he was fit he should have played at right full this evening. We wouldn't have conceded those goals if he had been out there.
Johnson is defensive nightmare.

WrongIslander

Things I took from tonight.

Mignolet still worries me on commanding his area.

Wisdom is still a work in progress but has to make it as a CB if anywhere I believe.

Toure still has groin injuries (I assume that's what it was from what I saw from where I was sitting)

Joe Allen's so called miraculous turn around in pre season was no more than flattering to deceive he's still not good enough for our first team (I hate this as I really liked the lad at Swansea)

Luis Alberto does not have the pace, intelligence nor strength to play as a box to box midfielder without leaving a huge gaping defensive hole that anyone with a bit of pace and strength will exploit.

Jordan Ibe is one hell of a talent but not ready for a first team berth.

Raheem Sterling is one hell of a talent and IS ready for a first team berth (especially impressed with his attitude when playing at right back).

As good as Sturridge is (and he really is) we still should be looking at signing a poacher because when it's that obvious against that poor a quality of opposition what you're missing then surely something has to be done.

For those saying squad depth won't matter as we're not playing in as many games this season, guess again.

Best till last, if anyone is going to "replace" Steven Gerrard then Jordan Henderson is the man with the quality to do it. He has the engine, he has the skills, he just really needs to add goals and so far this season he's promising to do that.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
El Cuchillero said:
True - but it's not as if Allen or Aly were in consideration for Sunday, anyway, and what was the alternative to Kolo this eve? Kelly, Coates and Skrtel are injured or in recovery. Perhaps it would've been more sensible to start with Agger alongside Wisdom, but it's a gamble both ways. I think it was logical that Kolo would start.
Allen is one you can put down to luck, and you are right about Kolo versus Agger being a 'pick your poison'. But Gerrard and Sturridge are also going to be reduced in effectiveness and at increased chance of injury on Sunday, again.

Off_The_Heezay

TIA Youth Team
Just out of interest, the people complaining about Kolo starting - who would have been your preferred CB pairing tonight? One of Agger or Toure had to start, and we could just as easily be sat here bemoaning the loss of Agger given his injury record.

EDIT: Bit late to this discussion, but I'm still interested.

WrongIslander

Arminius said:
Allen is one you can put down to luck, and you are right about Kolo versus Agger being a 'pick your poison'. But Gerrard and Sturridge are also going to be reduced in effectiveness and at increased chance of injury on Sunday, again.
I doubt Sturridge will be affected in the slightest but Gerrard should not be made to play in games like this for 90 minutes let alone extra time. No idea what he was thinking.

slufsar

RedLaw said:
So Brendan was wrong to field a strong side tonight?

Okay, I guess that must mean Hodgson got it right three years ago when he fielded a weakened team against Northampton in the same competition and we got knocked out.
the best thing he ever did

Off_The_Heezay said:
Just out of interest, the people complaining about Kolo starting - who would have been your preferred CB pairing tonight? One of Agger or Toure had to start, and we could just as easily be sat here bemoaning the loss of Agger given his injury record.
i wouldve prefered borini at cb and a 10-0 defeat than an injury to kolo

Herb

Back in my hotel after the game. Have to say, Glen Johnson was awful for their second goal. Looked at the player about three times and still didnt get tighter to him and allowed him to get behind him and put the ball in. Was very bad defending and our section could see that coming from a mile off.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
okocha10 said:
This was worse than a horror movie.
Certainly was more bodily harm involved in this game than there was in all the Saw movies put together.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Herb said:
Back in my hotel after the game. Have to say, Glen Johnson was awful for their second goal. Looked at the player about three times and still didnt get tighter to him and allowed him to get behind him and put the ball in. Was very bad defending and our section could see that coming from a mile off.
And the cross for the first was into his area and he is nowhere near the player who has the first free header. He can be great going forward but is terrible defensively. Kelly at right full for me when he is fit.

WrongIslander

Herb said:
"Shocking" as our mate Alan would say.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Chewbazza said:
Ok, the negatives are very obvious to everyone so I will look for the few positives.

1. Through to the next round
2. 4 goals, another 2 for Sturridge - keeps that run going.
3. Shown again that fighting spirit, in the past might have seen us capitulate and throw it away.

That's mostly all I could find.
That's about it. I'm still drinking this one off.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Off_The_Heezay said:

EDIT: Bit late to this discussion, but I'm still interested.
I would rather have played Hendo at right back and go 3 at the back. And this isn't second guessing being a Monday morning quarterback either. Every freaking point in the league matters for us, but I hope everyone is excited for that all important third round tie coming up in a second rate cup.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
ChicagoRed said:
I would rather have played Hendo at right back and go 3 at the back. And this isn't second guessing being a Monday morning quarterback either. Every freaking point in the league matters for us, but I hope everyone is excited for that all important third round tie coming up in a second rate cup.
I certainly am. League cup games have undoubtedly been the most fun games to attend over the past couple of years.

I was only annoyed about sturridge starting tonight, can't blame managers for their players getting injured on the pitch (not absolutely, but most of the time).

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Bollox attitude in the second half.
If Brendan doesn't give them all a slap behind closed doors, then he shouldn't be there.

At 2-1, I thought we'd just nick it.
But the possession changed halfway through the second half to 25% - 75%.

And what's with us carrying on with the "Crossbar / Post Challenge" this season.
At the end of the season, if someone was arsed to compile a graphic, I bet that it will show that we hit every part of the goal.

A lot of people are worried about the CB position - buy didn't Martin Kelly start there?
and he's fit again now someone please confirm these two points. Ta.

And why di we have Stuart Atwell as the ref?
Mr Magoo has proven himself to be one of the most incompetent in the history of fuckwit refereeing.
If Sian Massey had made even one of the mistakes that Riley's golden boy had, she would have been crucified.
Sian Massey's reward for just doing her job well - officiating lower league football.

Mr Magoo continues to get high-profile games.
Until he fucks up again.

I say that we batter the Mancs on Sunday - no mercy for 90 + whatever time Ferguson tells the ref to add on.
3 points on Sunday.
The Chavs drop points = we go top.

As it should be for ever more.
Amen.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Kelly isn't fit and he isn't close to being fit, he's just not injured.

RazvanLFC

okocha10 said:
This was worse than a horror movie.
Liverpool - Northampton 2-2 (2-4 pens) Do you remember it?

I watched the game, we won it and got through the next round, it`s not really a horror movie. If we want to go to wembley we better start sending teams out on the pitch that can win a football game. I blame the players complacency for the disastrous second half of the game. Add to that the missed chances. Rodgers had a good plan for this game but our players should`ve done their jobs for 90 minutes not only 45.

Gerrard has enough time to recover until sunday, he`ll be fine, the only thing i`m worried is Toure`s injury but maybe this will open our owners eyes and show them how thin our squad is... (naah dont think so...)

Rodgers had the right attitude towards this game, had he lost the game with a team filled with youngsters you`d have said it`s not the liverpool way not to challenge for trophies and questioned his desire to win.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Complacency seemed to be at play here, particularly in the second half, needs to be dealt with!
Any game is worth winning, and some need to be reminded of that!

Main concern to me is injuries, Kolo didn't look too crash hot which points to the need for the cheque book to be opened pronto.

Wait and see with the other two but we don't need injuries now or at anytime, but three in this game at this time ain't good.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Another strange game! In control at 2-0, and should have been more - and then we switch off. Well done to Notts County though, they made us work for the 4-2 win.

Well done to Daniel for continuing his scoring run. His confidence will be sky high! Also nice to see Jordan Henderson score!

Was disappointed with Ibe tonight, very poor. Wasn't alone their though!

The injuries are all part and parcel of the game, stop moaning about it! May increase the fighting spirit of the squad for this coming clash with you know who! So it may be a plus - we don't have long to wait.

Well played County, well played.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
The thing is both Toure and Allen's injuries were probably coming they were none impact injuries, Aly's is just a knock it looks like probably be back after the international period but that highlights why he was brought in to provide options at left back that didn't compromise on quality in the team and that is what we need all over the pitch.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
Hendo"s the man. This kid impresses me more and more.

What the fuck is going on with Johnson!!! This guy is really starting to annoy me. He got beat over and over again tonite. List the ball over and over and was just absolute garbage. Even his link up play was attricious.
If I was the opposing manager my game tactic would be to run the whole play through Johnson for the entire 90 minutes

jdpapa3

A big part of going into extra time was our own doing, but that offsides call on Glen Johnson when 3 players were keeping him on is really doing my head in right now. No guarantee of a goal, but I think the odds would've been > 60% to score there(we did put it in the back of the net, but who knows if they switched off?).

I don't want to slag the kid off, but I don't think Ibe is fully ready for starts at the senior level yet. He tended to dribble right into defenders and didn't really give Alberto or Gerrard the option for the pass behind the defense. Needs to figure a bit more out as far as movement without the ball.

We were very wasteful of great opportunities after it hit 1-nil. Sturridge, Sterling, and Johnson seemed to miss dozens of opportunities between them to put someone in 1v1 vs a single defender of the keeper.

Very few times under Rodgers can I remember being quite angry with the team selection and this was one of them. Gerrard is all right for me, but Sturridge and Toure were a big worry. You can argue that Sturridge was instrumental in winning the game, but I like Borini and Aspas against a League One side as well. The injuries left him with barely any options so I won't slag him off for any of that. At least we won. :D

koptician

We'll go again!
"And Kolo Toure has overstretched his groin, so we need to assess that, which doesn't look so good to be honest."

Great just great! Aly out as well as Allen. This why we need more (and better) players. Are you paying attention FSG?

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
BhupendraS said:
Bollox attitude in the second half.
If Brendan doesn't give them all a slap behind closed doors, then he shouldn't be there.

At 2-1, I thought we'd just nick it.
But the possession changed halfway through the second half to 25% - 75%.

And what's with us carrying on with the "Crossbar / Post Challenge" this season.
At the end of the season, if someone was arsed to compile a graphic, I bet that it will show that we hit every part of the goal.

A lot of people are worried about the CB position - buy didn't Martin Kelly start there?
and he's fit again now someone please confirm these two points. Ta.

And why di we have Stuart Atwell as the ref?
Mr Magoo has proven himself to be one of the most incompetent in the history of fuckwit refereeing.
If Sian Massey had made even one of the mistakes that Riley's golden boy had, she would have been crucified.
Sian Massey's reward for just doing her job well - officiating lower league football.

Mr Magoo continues to get high-profile games.
Until he fucks up again.

I say that we batter the Mancs on Sunday - no mercy for 90 + whatever time Ferguson tells the ref to add on.
3 points on Sunday.
The Chavs drop points = we go top.

As it should be for ever more.
Amen.
?

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
canucky008 said:

What the fuck is going on with Johnson!!! This guy is really starting to annoy me. He got beat over and over again tonite. List the ball over and over and was just absolute garbage. Even his link up play was attricious.
If I was the opposing manager my game tactic would be to run the whole play through Johnson for the entire 90 minutes
Defend is a small part, but i can't stand him looking down at Notts, trying to beat their player, failed consecutively, and got our whole team exposed. If i have to pick a number, i think he lost possession like 10 times today.

Ibe and Sterling got their fair share of blame. But both are young so forgivable. Sterling did score once too.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Is it a KPI given by the owners to BR that his team must always GRIND out wins?

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
gasband said:
Is it a KPI given by the owners to BR that his team must always GRIND out wins?
Maybe they are making a movie out of this? "Keep the audience suspended" (according to the contract)

Being Liverpool would have lots more stuffs in if they made it during this season. At least we would look like we are winning something

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
canucky008 said:
He's been that for ages

If he was a superhero he would be called Captain Complacency...think he might be being watched this season. Think we cleared out the worst culprit already but this fella for me is also a bit of a surfer and it may not hurt him that he seems to find consistency elusive. I wonder if in the end like others he may have to go, though it won't be this year of course, but in the future, I wonder if the penny will drop with him or if at 30 next year it will be too late for him, Skrtel, Reina and others. All 3 and perhaps Agger as well have seen their form fade over recent years and it does ask some interesting questions

But that and the annoying CB issue that was left open by our inactivity in the markets aside...at least we continue to not pack it in when trouble emerges, even if the problems were self inflicted to a degree. We could have ended up doing an Oldham. Fortunately Sturridges class and Henderson performing well off the bench (which he has form for doing incidentally) saved Rodgers from a few awkward explanations

Borini kicking his heels on the bench for me though was an obvious cock up. He may not be first team starting material but as a young player trying to force his way in to PL squad contention, he does need to be used in these games, at the very least as a rotation option

Hopefully we won't suffer for the overuse of Toure, Gerrard and Sturridge at the weekend. A draw may look now like a good result them in the circumstances. Bottom line is though we need more players. Most we have shifted may not be missed but it doesn't mean you can not bother replacing them, and we like last summer may find that out the hard way