• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool 4 Notts County 2

Danny_

Dublin_Kopite said:
Wrong team selection...

I would rather take a 50%-50% chance of getting through to the next round with a team of youngsters than an 85%-15% chance risking the spine of the team that we need for Sunday...

120 minutes, 3 injuries and a lot of effort is going to really affect our chances on Sunday...

The only way we can progress to the next level is to get back into the top four and begin signing top quality players.
The league cup won't do that for us...

It's a win that doesn't feel like a win and will feel even worse on Sunday if it comes back to haunt us!
Thank you for some common sense. What does it matter if we win the league cup. Christ, I just felt sick when I saw the injuries. People can say that they were coming anyway because they were non impact or whatever they like but it doesn't change the fact that we gambled by playing too many of our first 11 in a meaningless game in a meaningless competition that you get next to nothing for winning and paid the price for this. The pre-season is for getting players fit in meaningless games. I would have preferred to have seen a team of only fringe players and youngsters put out.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I am for using more youngsters and fringe players for cups or else what do you buy them for. But I would like to say also that the manager does not win. When injuries like that happen, we criticise him for not using the backups. If we lose the match because we use backups, we also criticise him for underestimating the teams.

Whatever it is, we won. The injuries have happened. Hope that the injury to Toure is not so serious.

OhYaBeauty

Post-Match Liverpool 4-2 Notts County
Sterling, Sturridgex2, Henderson Vs. Arquin, Coombs

Tactical Notes

Left: First half formation as it actually happened; due to Aly Cissokho's injury Glen Johnson moved to the left, Agger came on and Wisdom moved to the right. The second half formation (right) was roughly the same but with new midfielders due to injuries.

Out with the 4-4-2, back in with a much more familiar 4-3-3. This one seemed to initially be designed as a 4-(1-2)-3, but as luck and injuries would have it, the plan clearly had to be altered. It seemed to me that Gerrard sat deep and dictated play while Luis Alberto and Joe Allen interchanged in front of him, and for the first half it worked very well. I don't think this will work in the Premier League. Against Notts County, we had so much possession that we didn't need to worry about defensive screening off the ball, so there was less need for Lucas. On the ball, Gerrard's more expansive passing game ran the show for us. We owned the first half, and it clearly showed on the scoreline.

The second half was a little bit different; after Joe Allen's injury and Luis Alberto tiring we switched to Henderson and Coutinho through the center. It didn't really allow Notts County any more through the midfield though and shouldn't be blamed for Notts' goals. The first was simply a freak goal; the second was the result of the back line not communicating (more on this in a bit). Rather, the goals should more accurately be attributed to Cissokho's injury and the shifting of players around the defense.

Extra time was another beast entirely. It wasn't so much tactics that won the game for us here as it was individual brilliance. The shift of Sterling to right back following Toure's injury likely caused the Notts defenders to relax a bit, which is all we needed for Sturridge and Henderson to hit them. It is important to note that Henderson's goal likely would not have been as easily scored if a right winger (Sterling or Ibe would have been there had Toure not gone down) was occupying space there. Sometimes less really is more...

Incident Reports

I saw three major incidents as problematic. The first was Gerrard's first half shot from the left of box that struck the post. The second was an instance where their center forward was wide open. The third was miscommunication along our back four that resulted in their equalizer. You'll notice I didn't include their first goal.

The first incident troubled me because I didn't expect it from our Captain. He's normally not a selfish player, but this seemed selfish to me. Below you can see a screencap taken the moment Gerrard shot:

Note that Ibe is wide open on the far post. Although there is a defender patrolling at the 6-yard box, a simple dink would have found Ibe. Ultimately, Gerrard chose to shoot near post with his left foot. You could make the argument that Gerrard saw the keeper coming out for the cross but this angle clearly shows Gerrard had far more of an angle for the pass than for the shot.

The second incident was nullified by a tackle from Kolo Toure.

Agger steps up to cover a man that isn't in need of being pressured. Meanwhile, Johnson is occupied out left, and the midfield runner makes it in behind both defenders as he's not tracked by Agger or Gerrard:

And ultimately, we get off easy as the player makes a mistake. Still, shows we didn't do a good enough job tracking runners.

The third incident resulted in their equalizer. The blame for the incident has been leveled squarely at Andre Wisdom from what I've seen, and I don't think that's entirely fair. Sure, he tracked his winger a bit deep and didn't step up with the rest of his line. However, I think some of the responsibility is Agger's. As you can see in the first frame below, he steps up when he really doesn't need to; he can allow Toure to track the man with the ball and drop off to cover both Toure's back and the right winger steaming along to his left.

You'll note that I'm not levying criticism at Johnson or Toure here. Toure did what he was supposed to of course, but I think some might blame Johnson for being out of position. Johnson had just been forward in an attack and couldn't have made it back in time. When he gets forward (necessary in this system), we're supposed to be covered by the defensive midfield and the remaining three defenders. That didn't happen.

Player Notes

I think the important part here are my standout players, of which there were four: Sturridge, Allen, Gerrard, and Johnson. Sturridge for obvious reasons; he scored two goals. Allen for his fantastic ball retention before his unfortunate removal for injury. Gerrard for a magnificent assist, defensive work, and playing the full 120 (plus more than ten of stoppage), and Johnson for an outstanding left back display during regular time.

Mignolet wasn't put through much but had an outstanding reaction save to a venomously struck free kick in the first half. He really wasn't at fault for either goal; the first was just to quick and too close, and the second he needed to rely on a clearance from a defender. Agger and Toure weren't called on too much but I was both impressed with and let down by both for various reasons. Agger looked a real aerial threat. I think in both cases this was more down to his clever movement and Notts County's lack thereof, but he was excellent at getting on the end of a Gerrard free kick (and finding the post, unluckily) and a Gerrard corner (releasing a powerful header that the keeper gathered). I was disappointed with Agger's leadership in defense, however. He was partially culpable for Notts' equalizer in that he failed to communicate with his back line (his duty as head of the defense and vice captain). Toure impressed me with how well he stepped forward out of defense to offer a passing option while we were in possession, but was less impressive than he has been recently in organizing the defense for set plays, as evidence by Notts' first goal.

Johnson was excellent on the left. At this point, I'm pretty convinced he's a better left back than he is on his "natural" left side. I think there's two reasons behind this: first, it forces him to think more during attacks which leads to better decision making. He's generally a bit casual on the right which might be down to being too comfortable in his natural position without any competition. He doesn't stand out as dallying on the ball, but only because Jose Enrique is so much worse at that on the other side. Second, he actually has a very good cross with his left foot. We all know that he can hit the ball almost equally well with his left foot as his right, but I feel confident that his left footed crosses have more quality and tend to have more of a "whipped in" spin+velocity combo that makes them more dangerous. Add to that that he should theoretically be more dangerous shooting with his right from the left and it seems he's more dangerous on that side. Further, since its out of his comfort zone, it forces him to focus very hard on defending, which is a good thing where he's concerned. Almost forgot to mention he assisted Sterling's opener. Andre Wisdom played an interesting game. I'm sure we can justify most of it as growing pains and being thrust into the right back position again (remember its not his natural position), but the fact of the matter is he was somewhat culpable in both goals. The first he failed to see early enough and the second he played the right winger on sides. Hopefully he steps his game up with what must be an imminent return to central defense in the absence of other prospective starters (Skrtel, Toure, and Coates all being injured).

Joe Allen was magnificent during the first half. He hardly set a foot wrong (hands don't count) and it seemed like most of his touches went right. His feet are much quicker than I've given him credit for and he does a great job of retaining possession even in tight spaces. If he can keep up the sort of creativity in the final third that you see in the gif below, I think he'll have a large role to play this season if his injury is minor.

For all of Allen's brilliance, Luis Alberto was just okay on the night. Sure he participated in the buildup to Sturridge's goal, but I got the impression that his decision making was poor (i.e. trying to nutmeg the defender on the edge of the box off a Sterling corner an d playing passes around the Notts area that were easily cut out). He still showed good close control, but I expect him to learn much more about passing from Coutinho and Allen as he progresses into a deeper role for us. Plenty of time for him here so there's nothing to worry about. What more can be said about Captain Fantastic? I thought (and indeed hoped ) Gerrard wouldn't play this one and would rest up for the Northwest Derby at the weekend, but he had a nice game. In addition to the magnificent through ball he played for Sturridge's goal, he played in a couple of good balls from set pieces (corners and free kicks) on the right (two were met by Agger) and was just wide with a curler over the wall. My only gripe is that his left footed shot that found the post should have been a cross directed to the back post and a wide open Jordon Ibe. Perhaps, though, the goalkeeper slid out anticipating a cross and Stevie thought he had it. Only he knows, and it didn't affect the result so it's okay. Ibe might be hurt, though. [more on this later]

Coutinho was brilliant as always but didn't have a ton of time to dictate play. Still, he assisted Sturridge's second and played a couple more dangerous through balls. Henderson played well when he came on. I was really impressed by his speed on the ball, both with his goal (which included a delightful nutmeg) and with his run down the right in the dying moments to cross to Sturridge. He was also his usual busy self in closing down.

Sturridge was brilliant again, although I was displeased to see him play the entire match. He's just returning from injury and we have an important match at the weekend. Still, he played outstandingly well, and notched his third and fourth goals of the season after only three games. The first was a great finish off a great pass, and the second was a well-worked effort that came good because he put enough power on it. His link up play is good as well, and I'm very excited about his future.

Sterling and Ibe both had their moments, but Sterling shades the competition between the two for me. He offered a bit more in attack and defense, coming up with a goal and a few good tackles. Ibe though had an assist on Henderson's goal, however. Ibe still seems the more physical of the two but despite both of their small statures they manage to physically compete and hold off players much larger than them, which is really great to see and will help them transition into the Premier League from reserve football. Ultimately they both played well and I'll be looking forward to more good performances from the two of them.

Injuries

Really disappointing day for injuries. We obviously went into the match with a huge game in mind at the weekend. I figured we'd rest key players in preparation for the Manchester United game, and to some extent we did. Coutinho, Agger, Lucas, Aspas and Jose Enrique did not start.

However, the two biggest injury worries (Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard) did. I thought this was reckless, and ultimately it's going to hurt us come the weekend. However, I do believe it was Rodgers' intention to sub both of them off once we built a lead, preferably early in the second half. I think Henderson would have come on for Gerrard and Borini for Sturridge. However, injuries meant that by the time Rodgers wanted to make that substitution, only one could be made.

As for the injuries themselves, they seriously worry me. Cissokho's isn't a massive worry for me as it looked to be a routine ankle sprain. Those tend to take a couple of weeks to recover from, but as we've got cover in his position it isn't likely to be a huge issue.

Kolo Toure's is the one that really worries me. Just last week we lost Sebastian Coates and Martin Skrtel to long and short term injuries respectively. Coates will be out for the majority of the season. Skrtel will be fighting to be fit for the Manchester United match. This along with the fact that Kolo pulled his groin, means that we'll likely be stuck playing young Andre Wisdom in central defense against one of the League's deadliest finishers. Kolo will likely be out for at least a month, maybe up to four. This could see Rodgers dip into the transfer kitty. Watch this space.

Allen's injury I didn't see but I've heard it's likely his hamstring. The big thing here is it severely impacts squad depth. We only had Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, and Allen for those two deep roles. Now we have three players for two positions. Hopefully Allen makes it back relatively soon.

OYB's Random Complaints

The commentary crew that worked for BeIn Sports was just awful. For the first 25 minutes of the match, they simply didn’t realize Jordon Ibe was on the pitch; they said "Sterling" whenever Ibe got a touch. Then, on 25 minutes, they realized that there was this Ibe kid on the pitch and proceeded to say he'd been quiet all match. Idiots.

And don't get me started on their pronunciations. They may have gotten Ibe right but I don't know how you can possibly mess up Gerrard (put emphasis on the second syllable), Agger (sounded like Augger), Skrtel (skrTEL), and believe it or not even Sterling (bastards made it sound like Star-ling). Just horrendous, and its not like none of them are no-names. I guess beggars can't be choosers, and I chose to watch their telecast, but it was an atrocity.

Summary

A few positives first: Johnson was great on the left and our starting deep midfield duo (Gerrard and Allen) played very well. Sturridge bagged another two goals and our two young tiny wingers showed their class. Great to win, great to score four goals, but there were just too many negatives for us in this one. First, we lost a lot in terms of midfield depth when Allen went out injured. Second, we lost our only remaining first choice central defender heading into a huge match, and will likely replace him with a youngster who might lack confidence after tonight's performance. Third, we ended up playing key players for far too long, which might affect them on Sunday. And I had to watch the whole bloody thing with two idiot Americans spouting bullshit the entire time.

lancashirelad

Very costly win, can't complain BR did the right thing, it just didn't work out. Clearly League is priority, but getting knocked out early in either the League cup or the FA Cup would be awful and Rodgers would be torn apart for not taking the domestic cups seriously yet again.
I don’t blame BR at all (unlike others on here) , and with two subs having to be used for injuries it weakened his ability to rest those senior players. He very well may have been planning on resting any number of players with 30 minutes to go but he couldn't so give him a break

tesh

TIA New Signing
Glad we won. Sturridge's goal streak continues. Sterling and Ide looked good, though need to work on their decision making. Alberto played well in patches, though needs game time.

However.

I cannot shake the feeling that we huffed and puffed but just couldn't blow the house down. Like many games last season and for the majority of the time in the three games this season, we have failed to "put" the opposition away. The reason/excuses are the same, it is either that their goalie is having the game of his life or that the woodwork was against us (woodwork this time). This just happens too often and the excuses have to stop, with the latest being that last season we would have lost!

Yes we won but the players we wanted to rest have come off pretty badly. Gerrard played 60 minutes longer than probably BR would have liked, Agger was called in to play pretty much a full match, while Cissoko and Toure injuries are a real worry as it stretches our depth in defence to almost breaking point. Allen is also a worry but he is not likely a starter for the league at the moment, so wont be missed as much.

The United game is very important in my opinion and I would have liked for us to go in with the strongest possible side. As it is we will likely not and preparation will be some what less than optimal - Gerrard and Johnson recoveries and Toure, Cissoko and Allen injuries. We need to beat them,I know we always do, but this time beating them would instil a belief that we a pushing on and can "do something" in the league this year.

kopite1982

I agree with the wrong team selection but bloody hell lads, the game v united is 5 days away (2 short from a week) its not tonight. If they are going to be tired for united in 5 days after playing an extra 30 mins then god help us. There athletes not sunday league players.

As for toure, really upset about this injury, however, its only him from our strongest 11 that will be missing and skrtel ,( ex player of the
season, once touted by city) will be fit & more than adequate to play on sunday

tweeks

Don't see why people are blaming Rodgers.. He put out a full strength team and THEY switched off. He's damned if he does and dammed if he doesn't.. We won the game. 5 days till the Utd game is ample time to recover, these are athletes. Shame about Kolo but its not the end of the world we have cover in Skertle and can hopefully make a few more signings this week..

alaskared

Kloppite
Pros:
Won the game, through to next round.
Ibe, Wisdom, Sterling game time.
Scored a few goals and multiple woodwork.
Hendo played well.
First half.

Cons:
Toure injured. Allen and Cishoko injured.
Fatigue before Sundays game, especially concerned with Sturridge.
We continued on and prevailed, this is a good habit to develop.
WTF did Rogers say at half time that we changed our game plan and slacked off?

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
4 young players played last night, sterling, ibe, wisdom and alberto.

sterling really stepped up and showed he is fighting for a place in the first squad. will probably give aspas a run for his money.
ibe and alberto, did ok, nothing more. and while they are still young, they should have done much better against a team like notts county. a whole lot better.
wisdom has a lot of games under his belt, and while he makes some mistakes that can be accounted for his age, being outmuscled every game by low level teams ( was evident at pre season as well ) has nothing to do with talent but more with charcter, alarm bells are ringing for me.

allen, did ok, can really say he did much to secure a place in the first team ( even before being injured ).

most frightening thing for me, 3 games that we can't keep the playing level across 90 minutes. a mental or fitness problem ? i don't know. but it just won't do against SCUM.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Who does he play though Hope? Agger looked wasted at the weekend to me. Wisdom had
to play so it was one from Kolo or Danny.
Ideally Skrtel-Wisdom would start in this game if both were fit. Rest the first choice pair.
Kelly and Coates both out too in fairness.
Agger is younger, fitter and probably would have been the better choice with hindsight (finally, he had to play 110 minutes anyway due to Cissokho's injury, but nevermind...).

It's always easy to say with hindsight how we'd have done this though. Maybe taking a risk on playing Skrtel despite not being fully fit, or taking one of the youngsters from the reserves? Tough decision admittedly.

Problem is that I was almost expecting Touré to pick up something yesterday night, I just could feel it all night long. And when we went to extra-time, I was really cursing our bad luck. As it proved, these extra 30 minutes proved to be too much for Kolo. It's a pity really... :(

Toure has a bit of "last ditch" about him and would have been injured sooner later. Shame it has happened now but it highlights why we needed another centre half in this window.
Can't really agree on this. If BR had played him once a week, there would be no probs. He's the same age than Gerrard, not a 35-years old like Carra. The problem with him was a lack of regular match fitness these last two years, hence he had to be managed carefully.

Sound as a Pound

TIA Midfield General
I'm a bit concerned about mignolet, whilst he is a great shot stopper, we have been spoilt in the past with reina and his distribution
also concerned about him commanding his area

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Once again we have come out and tried to slow the game down in the second half knowing that the oposition will go flat out. We have to battle for everything at the beginning of every half.After showing the opposition they will not get things their own way we can then slow the game down but we have to be in control of the game before we can ditate the pace.
A win is always good but sadly the injuries leave us very thin on the ground. This transfer window is beginning to look very poor for us.I know we still have time to get players but it is running short and we needed them before now.
Sunday is going to be extra tough now as there will be a seed of doubt in the players minds due to being taken to ET and the injuries.
Losing Toure is a disaster.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Hope in your heart said:
Agger is younger, fitter and probably would have been the better choice with hindsight (finally, he had to play 110 minutes anyway due to Cissokho's injury, but nevermind...).

It's always easy to say with hindsight how we'd have done this though. Maybe taking a risk on playing Skrtel despite not being fully fit, or taking one of the youngsters from the reserves? Tough decision admittedly.

Problem is that I was almost expecting Touré to pick up something yesterday night, I just could feel it all night long. And when we went to extra-time, I was really cursing our bad luck. As it proved, these extra 30 minutes proved to be too much for Kolo. It's a pity really... :(

Can't really agree on this. If BR had played him once a week, there would be no probs. He's the same age than Gerrard, not a 35-years old like Carra. The problem with him was a lack of regular match fitness these last two years, hence he had to be managed carefully.
He maybe could have taken a chance on Skrtel but it would then be possible he might suffer a relapse of his injury and we are left short again. That would leave only Toure and Agger fit for the game against the Mancs. Either way its rock and a hard place stuff.
Tell you what though it highlights the deficiencies in our transfer dealings this summer because regardless of big Kolos injury we should have had another senior centre half already signed. You could argue that last nights game should have been Kolos first full 90mins of the season. A 32 year old who hasn't played much for 3 years and was signed on a free transfer should not be our first choice at centre back. The fact that he is says a lot for how this club has been run in the last two years.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
T.C.B said:
(...)

Tell you what though it highlights the deficiencies in our transfer dealings this summer because regardless of big Kolos injury we should have had another senior centre half already signed. You could argue that last nights game should have been Kolos first full 90mins of the season. A 32 year old who hasn't played much for 3 years and was signed on a free transfer should not be our first choice at centre back. The fact that he is says a lot for how this club has been run in the last two years.
Can't argue with this. BR must be a frustrated man right now...

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
I saw us go one up. Went off for a game of 5 a side. Came home and watched extra time. From what i witnessed, with the exception of Solo getting.injured. We played well.

Thank god I didn't watch the rest of it.

Bobbinho

Not for the faint hearted this game, complete rollercoaster ride from start to finish, some great high's & some stomach churning low's.

I actually felt that we started with a very good tempo, the pace of Sterling, his goal, the fluidity of our midfield, the pace of our passing, with some great attacking movement was tantalising to watch, a big improvement from how we finished against Villa,

Joe Allen acquitted himself very well i thought, another player who you just can't knock for trying albeit one who has struggled to find his better form so far, might be in the minority but i think we shouldn't be writing him off yet, confidence will be a key issue for him as well as other's ( esp Sterling & Hendo), all in all the first half went very well, some very positive sign's that we have the bones here for a much more dynamic squad, more competition & depth, better options but then of course the injuries kicked, rather early on the game sadly for Cissokho which was a real blow for him personally & of course for us.

Second half, same old, 1 or 2 player's dropping off, allowing Notts the chance to get into a game that we had all but tied up, Glen Johnson i think has a lot to answer for perhaps, it seems that certain individual error's are the real obstacle to our progression, against Stoke we had Agger who nearly costs us, against Villa i think Lucas was somewhat guilty & last night it wa s Glen's turn, who tbh has not exactly lit up the place with his forward play anyway, running into players with the ball, not linking up so well going forward & seems to lose his positional awareness far too recklessly for a player considered a regular.

Its just not good enough esp when other players like Kolo end up getting injured due to having to play extra time, that's not to say the impact on Gerrard who could have done with being rested after 70mins, once the game had been put to bed so to speak.

As i said earlier, a real rollercoaster ride of a game, another test of our endurance as a team to overcome adversity that we our selves created, big positive that we came out on top & the manner in which we won was also a big positive, Hendo's goal was borderline breathtaking & had been coming from him, again another player who i think would run through a brick wall for the team & who's industry, passion & will to succeed is apparent to all & sundry.

We need more player's with this kind of attitude, i personally hold out a lot of hope for the Club due to the younger player's who are now ammassing in the squad eagerly awaiting their opportunities to prove themselves, no one should be allowed to become complacent, we have only struggled in our first 3 competitive games because of either complacency or schoolbopy type errors from player's who should know better & are being paid handsomely by the Club to perform at a high standard on a consistent basis, okay everyone makes mistakes at times, but the kind of mistakes we are making are costing us dearly.

The biggest positive for me is that we have played & won our first 3 games of the season which represents winning momentum, our younger players will have benefitted greatly from that game last night esp Sterling who looked like he is at the point of breaking through into the kind of form he has shown previously coming through the ranks, Sturridge is fast becoming my favourite player, Ibe need's more game time but will improve im sure & Alberto showed promise also, not too bad, okay we now have injury concerns, but wtf, the window's still open & im sure BR will be keen to strengthen what is looking like a very competitive & promising team, playing fast flowing attacking football which would surely benefit from a couple more additions to help push us on even further in terms of squad depth & strength.

Onwards & upwards.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
I think it's bang out of order to question Rodgers' starting eleven. Had the players done their part, the game would have ended at half time. Gerrard and the rest would have been subbed and everyone would have been happy.

Instead of that, not only did we not finish off a League One opponent at Anfield, but we allowed them to come back and force extra-time. It's the third time in a row that we lose control of a match that we have completely dominated and should have put to bed.

This game and the subsequent injuries if anything, should be an indictement against our transfer policy and the players' complacency.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Best thing about last night was Hendos goal, great to see that...powerful running from midfield, very Gerrard esque. He'll need to do more of that in the league really

LeoT

slufsar said:
total bull this "show the opponent respect no matter who they are".

no. its not the opponent, its the tournaments that is the problem. liverpool should never put a good league season in jeopardy over capitol one cup.
[SIZE=medium]I disagree, we should deffo try to win both of the cups this season.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]If we win a cup we will have at least Europa football next season, without European football its harder go get good quality players, cos the likes of Spurs and Swansea will beat us to the signatures of potential targets. [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Players can get injured in any match, this one was just unfortunately a match in which more players than usual got injured.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Though I’d hate to be beaten by ManU, I don’t see ManU as our main rival this season. Our direct rivals are Arsenal, Spurs & possibly Swansea. We are kidding ourselves if we think anything different.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I know its not what a lot of fans want to hear, but it’s the (blunt) truth.[/SIZE]

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
can we use the transfer window to resign Carra ?

he would rather be on the pitch tackling SCUM than being inn the studio with neville

tesh

TIA New Signing
LeoT said:
[SIZE=medium]I disagree, we should deffo try to win both of the cups this season.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]If we win a cup we will have at least Europa football next season, without European football its harder go get good quality players, cos the likes of Spurs and Swansea will beat us to the signatures of potential targets. [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Players can get injured in any match, this one was just unfortunately a match in which more players than usual got injured.[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Though I’d hate to be beaten by ManU, I don’t see ManU as our main rival this season. Our direct rivals are Arsenal, Spurs & possibly Swansea. We are kidding ourselves if we think anything different.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I know its not what a lot of fans want to hear, but it’s the (blunt) truth.[/SIZE]
Well you got Swansea right. The others are probably Everton, Westham and Another (Another being whatever the yearly "surprise" team is).

karf

My thoughts:
My first Liverpool game and we won so that was great for me, plus being at the Anfield Road end fairly low down meant I got to see 5 of the 6 goals coming straight towards me.

Henderson: I think he played extremely well and was much better than Allen and Alberto.
Wisdom: Played well for someone of his experience, needs to learn to find where the ball is after he heads it, twice I saw him looking round in circles while Notts County players were heading for the ball. Played better at RB than CB for me.
Ibe and Sterling: Both played well as wingers, Sterling put in a good shift at RB, Ibe helped a bit in covering but I would have rather seen him coming back a bit more.
Johnson: It felt like he didn't contribute to the game, just seemed to run at players and let them take the ball off him or shoot and miss.

Overall I think the only worry we should have is that Kolo is injured and that we will probably concede straight away after half time against Man U, whatever the score is at half time. Our first 20-45 minutes we play really well and need to score more than 1 or 2 goals in that period.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
LeoT said:

I think we can get into CL through Europa route as well (with that changing rule). And if it was like previous years and follow FA cup standard, maybe even the runner can get the CL spot (if the winner already in).

More important, Euro coefficient. CIty got their CL running pretty much ruined because they are constantly paired up with Bayern, Real and, Dowtmund...etc.... After missed out of Europe for so long, we likely won't pass the group stage the next time we enter, have to face Barcelona, Real, Bayern and the like. Having a decent Europa run, would ensure us to at least get 3rd, or dare i dream 2nd bracket, and ease our way into later stage

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
gingerbread said:
I think we can get into CL through Europa route as well (with that changing rule). And if it was like previous years and follow FA cup standard, maybe even the runner can get the CL spot (if the winner already in).

More important, Euro coefficient. CIty got their CL running pretty much ruined because they are constantly paired up with Bayern, Real and, Dowtmund...etc.... After missed out of Europe for so long, we likely won't pass the group stage the next time we enter, have to face Barcelona, Real, Bayern and the like. Having a decent Europa run, would ensure us to at least get 3rd, or dare i dream 2nd bracket, and ease our way into later stage
The runner up for the Europa League will not be given a CL place if the winner already has a place through league position.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
gingerbread said:
The FA Cup rule is the FA's, albeit with UEFA's approval. The Europa League winner going into the CL is UEFA's rule. Note also that this year's Europa Cup winner does not qualify for the CL, that does not take effect until the next cycle (2015-18), so 2014-15 is the first where a CL spot is at stake.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/aboutuefa/organisation/executivecommittee/news/newsid=1956131.html

Polito

ChicagoRed said:
I would rather have played Hendo at right back and go 3 at the back. And this isn't second guessing being a Monday morning quarterback either. Every freaking point in the league matters for us, but I hope everyone is excited for that all important third round tie coming up in a second rate cup.
More excited that i still have a chance to go to Wembly and Livepool have more chances to win silverware to be honest. I would of preferred youngsters playing but im not gonna knock Rodgers for his team selection either. People need to chill Skrtel will be a beast on Sunday then after that we have a mini break for internacionals and we will buy a cetre back. Its not as bad as people are making out. Even if we lose its still a much better start then last year so it wont be the end of the world.

shlohmoh

TIA Reserve Team
To be the best we have to beat the best of the rest.
It has been done before,it can be done again.