• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 4 Spurs 0

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
The thing i think is wrong with these midtable sides (spurs, castle, man u, villa, brom) is that they seem to play for results in the first instance. To them a style of play, a philosophy is irrelevant. But look at the two most exciting teams not at the top: everton and soton. Teams that play a very ambitious brand of football. Ok everton just this year and soton are hampered by not spendin huge, but they are doing very well and now we are beginning to expect results from them. The other teams? It's a lottery as to what theyll do. Theure just 'meh' teams.

A combo of having the right squad AND the right approach to the game is why we are top.

You have to have both to be the complete modern side.

anglian_red

Mascot88 said:
One thought from the fall out from yesterday's match. Is anyone still prepared to sing Daniel Levy's praise? The Spurs fans seem to hate him, thinking he is only in a job through nepotism.......

Since he sacked the only manager to get them into the top four, they've been on a downward spiral.
Daniel Levy's high stock stems from his knack of getting wallet filling fees whenever he sells somebody. Think of flogging Berbatov off for £30m, Modric for whatever it was and even squeezing £20m out of us for Keane in a deal seen as loaning him out for 6 months and earning £8m.

Levy does believe he's the smartest person in any room but much like the nonce he's installed as manager, he is a charlatan who doesn't know what he's doing. Levy would like to be the manager himself, that's the reality. There's no consistency in his appointments. Sacking Redknapp was probably harsh, but replacing him with AVB appeared shrewd. For the first time in years I thought 'hey, Spurs are in this for the long haul and are trying to build something.' After just 18 months Levy's reverted to his spoilt brat type.

People who thought we should've cashed in on Suarez need to observe Spurs. This is the reason big clubs fight to the death to keep their big players. Levy couldn't wait to sell Bale, he'd spent it before he sold him and unlike Hicks & Gillett it was all reinvested, but in a string of signings which make little sense.

Spurs have finished 4th twice (though Chelsea fucked up the second one) but that is it. Quite how Levy thinks that qualifies them to be a top European club, I don't know.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
One thought from the fall out from yesterday's match. Is anyone still prepared to sing Daniel Levy's praise? The Spurs fans seem to hate him, thinking he is only in a job through nepotism. But over summer there were plenty here who thought he was some kind of football administrator of the gods, as he seemingly routinely outmanoeuvred us in the market.

The most obvious point of weakness was that as a team expected to challenge, they could not hold on to their superstar. And this has really cost them.

But I think what has cost them more is Levy thinking he is cleverer than everyone else in the room. Selling Bale and replacing him with seven players on paper looks great, but they are recruiting with no strategy in mind, no thought to how that team would gel and the attitude of the players signed. They've got a director of football at odds with managers, players with no clear role in the team. Worse still those players look like they can't be arsed and completely spineless - they were beaten in the tunnel yesterday.

Since he sacked the only manager to get them into the top four, they've been on a downward spiral.
Always got confused by the Levy praise. Whilst he has been in place Spurs haven't progressed at all. He keeps on undermining and sacking his managers disrupting progress. At the very best that means he is rectifying hiring mistakes at worst he is sacking good/good enough managers needlessly. His negotiating seems to be where his reputation has been built but you know what? For all the high prices they sell at they don't tend to get players in on great prices. If he was in charge here he'd be lynched!

Kinny Riddle

TIA New Signing
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Always got confused by the Levy praise. Whilst he has been in place Spurs haven't progressed at all. He keeps on undermining and sacking his managers disrupting progress. At the very best that means he is rectifying hiring mistakes at worst he is sacking good/good enough managers needlessly. His negotiating seems to be where his reputation has been built but you know what? For all the high prices they sell at they don't tend to get players in on great prices. If he was in charge here he'd be lynched!
I still remember quite how he actively undermined Martin Jol right after Jol took them to a historic 5th, which if it weren't for some cunning kitchen sabotage, they would've pipped Arsenal for the CL spot.

During that time Levy was openly courting Seville's Juande Ramos, who had just won the UEFA Cup. Though Ramos did replace Jol and won Spurs the League Cup, they were crap afterwards, forcing Levy to drop Ramos in favour of Redknapp, who had more luck than footballing know-how, simply building his team around Bale with proven but aged players that will expire soon, but not giving young players a chance. Basically a luckier version of Roy Hodgson.

I've always said that Redknapp only managed to pip us to 4th only because we ourselves were undermined by G+H. Otherwise he would not even be close to us. Though the London media would have you believe otherwise that he was "The Chosen One" of that time.

Now that we've sorted our off-pitch stuff in order, the gulf in class between us shows once again.

And finally, Levy doesn't bother with a scouting department, he's more or less outsourced it to Liverpool FC (without LFC knowing, of course).

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
anglian_red said:
Spurs have finished 4th twice (though Chelsea fucked up the second one) but that is it. Quite how Levy thinks that qualifies them to be a top European club, I don't know.
The nicest thing about smashing nine unanswered past them is Levy. He has clearly targeted us as a team over the past few season. Consider that your bottom smacked Daniel, and get back to mid-table where you belong.

anglian_red

In fairness to Levy, they have progressed since ENIC took over majority shareholding. Most Spurs fans will say he's better than Alan Sugar at least - though Sugar did stop them going the way of Portsmouth, too many Spurs fans forget that. I just think Levy's huge ego has led to him undoing good work every couple of years. His persona is of the stereotypical Essex wideboy who thinks he's much smarter than he is.

We say he's targetted our player targets, but who's actually gone to Spurs over us who would've made a big difference to us?

koptician

We'll go again!
Semmy said:
Really? a BIG difference to us? We don't even play with a proper 10 most of the time. We already have Coutinho, who production-wise has been better than Eriksen this season. And crucially when we play a 1-2 midfield Coutinho works hard for the team. Notice Eriksen offering zero support (only a token limp resistance) for their first goal and throughout the rest of the match. I can see why we didn't go for him.

I wouldn't say a BIG difference but Dembele would definitely help improve our squad and keep the midfield front two fresh. Strong, quick, and skilful

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
anglian_red said:
In fairness to Levy, they have progressed since ENIC took over majority shareholding. Most Spurs fans will say he's better than Alan Sugar at least - though Sugar did stop them going the way of Portsmouth, too many Spurs fans forget that. I just think Levy's huge ego has led to him undoing good work every couple of years. His persona is of the stereotypical Essex wideboy who thinks he's much smarter than he is.

We say he's targetted our player targets, but who's actually gone to Spurs over us who would've made a big difference to us?
Who's to say that BR wouldn't have brought out the best in some of those players? I think it's not unfair to say that Brendan is a better man to man coach than AVB or Sherwood. Some players might just need a subtle nudge in the right direction in order to find their feet at a club while others might require ongoing guidance. Some managers and coaches are better than others at this.

It's all theory but, who knows?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
ILLOK said:
Nothing suggests we wanted eriksen. Siggurdsson joined them over us though
If we'd have paid him what they offered he wouldn't have though. Just Rodgers knew he wasn't worth it yet and knew if that's what mattered to the player then he wasn't the right player.

anglian_red

Sigurdsson & Dempsey I suppose. We know we were in for both of them but the fact is we didn't match Hoffenheim & Fulham's valuations, Spurs did.

Hardly swooping is it?

Both are shit anyway.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
It was a ? Not a !

How quickly people jump all over you for asking a question.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
anglian_red said:
Sigurdsson & Dempsey I suppose. We know we were in for both of them but the fact is we didn't match Hoffenheim & Fulham's valuations, Spurs did.

Hardly swooping is it?

Both are shit anyway.
Willian. That they in turn got gazumped by Chelsea is beside the point. They were first linked with Soldado after we had. They also showed interest in Mkhitaryan and Costa, from memory. There were also rumours that they tried to nip in for Sakho and Ilori at the last minute too. This year they have been linked to Konoplyanka too.

Seriously, it was utterly predictable that whenever we were linked with a player, Spurs would follow weeks later. All within the realms of transfer speculation of course, with is largely bullshit, but it definately seems that Levy was trying to be smart by getting good players whilst simultaneously fucking us over.

anglian_red

Chelsea are probably more likely to be targeting us, given how Willian and especially Salah ended up there.

I give little credit to the word 'linked' because it means nothing. You read a newspaper saying 'Soldado linked with Spurs & Liverpool' when it was in fact that journalist, in that paper doing the 'linking' just last week. Ourselves & Spurs have been around the same level for the past few seasons, therefore shopping from the same shelf with the same calibre of player considering both of us.

A player of Willian's quality, if available this summer, is far more likely to end up here with our return to the Champions League (and a possible title) so we might see the end of this nip-tuck with Spurs. I'm not saying you're wrong, because it's remarkable how fast Levy got the chequebook out for Sigurdsson and Dempsey the moment it became apparent we wouldn't match the valuations. Almost within hours, Spurs were there, seemingly assuming they must be brilliant if we wanted them.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
anglian_red said:
I give little credit to the word 'linked' because it means nothing.
Oh yeah, that's why I say within the usual bollocks of transfer season. But it was a bit spooky, they way Spurs would turn up within a week of a serious link.

anglian_red

With FSG and Rodgers, we appear to have a plan and dare I say philosophy - I'm loathed to use the word after some of Brendans interviews last year. Spurs don't really seem to have an identity. They keep going from cockney geezer to continental professor every 18 months, none of their signings make much sense and nobody really seems to be in charge.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
anglian_red said:
With FSG and Rodgers, we appear to have a plan and dare I say philosophy - I'm loathed to use the word after some of Brendans interviews last year. Spurs don't really seem to have an identity. They keep going from cockney geezer to continental professor every 18 months, none of their signings make much sense and nobody really seems to be in charge.
Yet even you can admit it's visible so maybe Rodgers was actually right in those interviews?

anglian_red

I've just remembered that Spurs were looking into Suarez at the same time we were.

It appears Spurs cooled on Suarez because Harry Redknapp didn't think he could play upfront on his own. Considering how Comolli dithered on the Suarez deal for about two months, imagine how angry we'd be right now if Harry Redknapp hadn't been so thick.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Do you get some sick enjoyment out of being such a dickhead 99% of the time?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
anglian_red said:
I've just remembered that Spurs were looking into Suarez at the same time we were.

It appears Spurs cooled on Suarez because Harry Redknapp didn't think he could play upfront on his own. Considering how Comolli dithered on the Suarez deal for about two months, imagine how angry we'd be right now if Harry Redknapp hadn't been so thick.
Harry was I to every single thing that moves, if he ever enter my office my fish would stop swimming....