• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 4 Spurs 0

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Delighted with that performance!

I thought that the initial switch back to 4-3-3 worked a treat on the day, with Sterling producing a great effort. The whole team just looking very balanced and in real control in the first half. Loved the first goal too, with about a minute's worth of very assured passing preceeding it. They only really ever got near the ball one single time, on the clumsy own goal.

I thought Spurs actually made a bit of a game of it myself, from 30 minutes onwards and Skrtel blocking Eriksen. They showed a bit of fight for the rest of the match but LFC were mostly superb in the defensive aspect of the game too - something which was great to see as well. The return to the Diamond, after Allen came on, was also nice to see showing BR's and LFC's increasing tactical flexibility, both for the game and within the game.

Some many moments to remember from that game:
- The "seeing is believing" logo on the shirts, which seemed something to tempt fate a bit pre-match but suddenly looked very appropriate post-game.
- Suarez's wonderful bit of skill near the corner flag.
- Flanno crunching no-holds tackle on Soldado and his great turn out of pressure to drive-on and then set up Coutinho
- Suarez all covered in mud from-top-to-toe as my iconic moment of the first-half, while Spurs were doing their nickname of the Lilywhites proud.
- Sterling's wonderful skill and burst into the box to set up Hendo, him fending off Dembele too in a real physical battle for the ball and the moment where Sterling (literally) ran-rings-around the opposition ...turning 2~3 players inside-out before then driving on
- The complete contrast between Sherwood sitting glumly and unmoving in the Director's box while BR was in his usual controlled conductor-of-an-orchestra mode, constantly issuing a series of small tweaks from the sideline.

I'll probably think of a good dozen more iconic moments after the re-watch ... as I already know they're there.

My magic number would be 85 (points). Arsenal with a tough one coming at EFC and both City and Chelsea with no gimmes either in Soton and Stoke. On to West Ham for us ...and I'm wishing them "all the best" next Sunday.

Just a great day (actually a great weekend) to be a LFC fan!

OhYaBeauty

Liverpool 4-0 Tottenham
Kaboul OG, Suarez, Coutinho, Henderson
That was just a fantastic team performance. Every member of the team was on the same page and performed their role perfectly, and we just dismantled Spurs (not that it's a particularly tough job to do). Rodgers got it exactly right with the switch back to the 4-3-3; we had more pace on the pitch to stretch it and counter, and it was exactly the right call against a Spurs side with slow central defenders. Plus, adding Coutinho gave us that cutting edge through the midfield and opened up play. It'd be hard to pick a man of the match, as the entire defense was on song, the midfield cut through Spurs like a knife through hot butter, and the forwards did their job well.

Mignolet had a good game once more. He had four saves, and was otherwise a bit untroubled (meaning that he didn't have to come for any crosses at any point. His save down to his left on a deflection late in the game showed he really deserved that clean sheet. His passing was also very reliable, at 87%. He routinely picked out Liverpool players with long passes, which definitely helped to solidify our hold on the game.
Mignolet pulls off a great safe on a deflected Eriksen shot to save the clean sheet​

The entire defense was solid. Johnson was perhaps the least solid defensively, stumbling on an Eriksen shimmy in the box and allowing him to shoot, but his offensive work was brilliant. He forced Kaboul into that second minute own goal and had several other dangerous runs that ended in crosses. Further, his passing (94%) was very reliable, and not simply because he was making easy passes. Flanagan played his part well. His little dummy to fool Naughton and break the Spurs press in the second half was just what you'd expect from a Scouse Cafu, and his tackle on Soldado at the edge of the box late on was brilliant. That dummy that he sold to Naughton ended up getting him an assist on Coutinho's goal.

Johnson forces Kaboul's early own goal with a great run and dangerous cross​
Scouse Cafu does his namesake proud​
Soldado gets his timely reminder that he's Jon Flanagan's bitch​

Skrtel and Agger did well, though they weren't exactly up against a formidable attack. Skrtel won only one of his four tackles, but did very well otherwise, winning all his headed duels (4/4), making 9 clearances, and two interceptions. The highlight of his game though was clearly his block on Eriksen. I thought that was going to be a certain Spurs goal, but Skrtel had other ideas. Brilliant defending. Agger was less spectacular, but like Skrtel he did what needed to be done very well. Also like Skrtel, he had a very good passing game, making several long diagonal passes. And finally, like Skrtel, the highlight of his game was a wonderful block.

Skrtel's brilliant block​
Agger, not to be outdone, pulls one off himself​

The midfield was great on a day where you can safely say that Stevie was the least influential of the three. He did his job well but didn't do anything above or beyond. Henderson was his usual self as well. Lots of important running and crisp passing. He could have easily ended up being Liverpool's worst player on the day after he mishit a very good pass from Sterling and cost us a certain goal, but he made up for it with a peach of a free kick. Coutinho was easily the best of the three. I never would have guessed that he'd be this effective as a central (read:not attacking) midfielder, but he is, especially in big games. He's got all the tricks and agility you'd expect of a Brazilian number ten, but he's almost more effective from a deeper position. It's truly wonderful to watch. He won two tackles, passed superbly, and took his goal well. I suppose it was only a matter of time before one of his long shots found the net, but you can't take anything away from that performance.

Coutinho scores!​
Hendo finds the net​
Sterling is such a brilliant little player. We always knew he had that pace to make an opposing defender look like a fool, but there's three facets that he's added to his game this season that make me very excited for his future. First, he's strong. He may be small, but he can hold off players twice his size and win the ball. His tussle with Dembele in the second half where he held him off the ball for about ten seconds until help arrived was sort of amazing; David outmuscled Goliath. Second, he's very intelligent. In terms of timing his runs, moving into space, and pressing and defending, he's tactically very good. I know Rodgers calls attention to it, too. Third, he's a very good little passer. You just know he's not going to be a pace merchant because he also feels comfortable slowing down a bit and playing a pass like Mata (before he went to United and turned to shit).

Brilliant wing play from Raheem Sterling​
Sterling is apparently stronger than Moussa Dembele​
Sturridge had a bit of a quiet game. Still, I was impressed by a couple of things I saw. First: his free kick. I was a bit surprised that Stevie let him take it as I've not seen him be effective at those before, but it was a very good effort. That at least gives us something to talk about if we've got a free kick on that side of the box in the future. Second: that backheeled attempt when Lloris closed him down. I really thought there was almost nothing on for him there, and he just about pulled something out of nothing. Quiet game, but good signs. Suarez on the other hand is incapable of a quiet game. I was disappointed with some of his failed dribbles, but as always he came up with the goods. A very well taken goal and a game with several very creative moments. My favorite was his cross for Sturridge. Just an absolutely beautiful cross with his off foot, and a shame it didn't come off.

Suarez' pretty left-footed finish​
Brilliant flick from Sturridge doesn't quite come off​
You wanted this one, right Cardiffpete?​
That's a gorgeous cross​

The subs were very good. I was happy to see Rodgers pull Gerrard late in the game to protect him from a yellow card, and Lucas was effective in his absence. Joe Allen was as well, when he came on. Even Victor Moses managed a good moment, nicking the ball off a defender before trying to slip it in to Sturridge, who was offside.

Team spirit was brilliant again. Two big moments for me: Hendo's goal, and some cross Coutinho cut out. After Hendo's goal, Luis pointed at him to tell him it was his goal. I thought that was great because it meant Suarez wasn't claiming it, which he could have, and Hendo's giddy face afterwards was priceless. Second, the cross. Coutinho busted a gut to get back and stop a cross down our left, and Gerrard made sure Coutinho knew just how good he'd done. It's the little things that let you know this team can do anything.

"It's yours!"​
Stevie applauds Coutinho's work​

Bonus:

What's that Mr. Levy? I'm fired? But we've got a full half left!

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Have to watch this match again. Chills from the walkout, the fans, electric atmosphere. YNWA. Wow. Just amazing.

thanks to Vietmoment for posting so quickly. You are the man

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Hearing that Sherwood may have punched a player in the dressing room... anyone else heard this rumour?

Speaks volumes that I have no trouble believing that it's true...

starshadow

Zinedine Biscan said:
Hearing that Sherwood may have punched a player in the dressing room... anyone else heard this rumour?

Yeah its doing the rounds,

Guess we'll know more soon. LFC TV said he spent 45 minutes in the dressing room with the players..

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Zinedine Biscan said:

Probably his only chance of ever being mentioned in the same sentence as Brian Clough.

shaolinemperor

Yay my first post! Been following this forum for a couple of years but I simply can't keep my mouth shut any longer. This marks our best of our "season doubles"

rale93lfc

shaolinemperor said:
Yay my first post! Been following this forum for a couple of years but I simply can't keep my mouth shut any longer. This marks our best of our "season doubles"
Same thing here, know everything about LFC, reading all forums, but first time i posted couple hours ago, after 0-5 and 4-0H vs Spurs, Manu 0-3 away, Arsenal 5-1 and Everton 4-0... today, we played under a small pressure cause chelsea and city sliped... I was afraid of that... but to play like that... Unbelivable! MAKE US DREAM!!!

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Watching Match of the Day analysis, seeing Owen talk makes me want to go into a coma.

Reactions: SGM

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
The formation we played vs Spurs (with only one wide man in the side on the right but nobody on the left flank & 2 straight thru the middle up top) was one I posted here a few weeks back. I was told I knew nothing about football or tactics and nothing about formations.

Well, it seems Rodgers knows nothing either.
Wow do I feel vindicated.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Probably my favourite game I've ever attended.

The Kop looked amazing. So many banners, flags and scarves. Sitting in the Anny Rd opposite, it really was a sight to behold. Very good atmosphere and a very dominant team performance. What a superb day to be a Liverpool fan.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Maria said:
Watching Match of the Day analysis, seeing Owen talk makes me want to go into a coma.
Ah, bless him. He wasn't too bad tonight.

starshadow

Aaron Lennon just got onto Twatter and rubbished the whole Sherwood punching a player in the face episode.

Now back to watching the highlights from today's game for the 19th time.. ;)

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
starshadow said:
Aaron Lennon just got onto Twatter and rubbished the whole Sherwood punching a player in the face episode.

Now back to watching the highlights from today's game for the 19th time.. ;)
Did his typing look like Sherwood had him in a headlock at the time?

Toro

Florida Red
Poor Scouser Tommy said:
Haha, you big pussy!

You should have gone with my "Valium and scotch" tactic. It's working really well for me! :blink:
That's what I do.

Only without the valium.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Mascot88 said:
Ah, bless him. He wasn't too bad tonight.
I thought he looked positively animated, which is rare.

Perhaps he was having rueful memories of his last truly awesome season as a footballer (2000-1).

The grass is never greener Mikey. :rolleyes:

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
EdWood said:
I thought he looked positively animated, which is rare.

Perhaps he was having rueful memories of his last truly awesome season as a footballer (2000-1).

The grass is never greener Mikey. :rolleyes:
Think if Rodgers had of walked in Owen would have proposed, he seemed quite smitten!

End of the Storm

Just watching the game again without all the nervousness and excitement of earlier on.

We were absolutely f*ckin magnificent

deathly_death

Liverpool needs to do something with its defense. Defenders are still apt to give easy and comfortable space in the box to its opponents.

Man City or Chelsea will never miss it.

Toro

Florida Red
ChicagoRed said:
1 home game a year standard chattered puts that as a logo for charity to avoid curable blindness in kids. Players sign the game worn shirts and it gets auctioned off.
That's really cool.
deathly_death said:
Liverpool needs to do something with its defense. Defenders are still apt to give easy and comfortable space in the box to its opponents.

Man City or Chelsea will never miss it.
Who will score?

Torres?

Hahahahaha!

BhupendraS

TIA Squad Member
Fab win today.
That 3rd goal is worthy of Goal of the Season - especially the way Flanno ghosted past the Spurs player under pressure.

Has anyone mentioned that we are top of the league?
Only about a million times.

We still City and the Chavs to implode:

Sat 05//04 - Southampton need to turn up at City, and Stoke need to stick the boot into the Chavs (literally if possible).
And then we need to do our bit by showing the world the day after why Lardass Sam didn't get the England job.

Sun 13/04 - we beat City; Swansea beat the Chavs.

One game at time though boys and girls...

kwala

TIA Regular
Great result, but it is a bit of a strange feeling at present. I thought yesterday after the results went our way I'd be ecstatic/mega confident about the rest of the season if we beat spurs, but, having battered them, and calmed down, all I can think is, lets not throw it away at West Ham. A poor result next time out will undo all that has gone our way.

City and Chelsea both play before us next week as well, and both have pretty tough games. But, if they win, we need to respond.

Job done today, on to the next, Big Sam away will be a toughie, but we are more than capable of demolishing the 'Ammers.

NEXT. 1 game at a time is my new mantra. It keeps a lid on it......

I can't actually believe we are 100% in control with 6 games to go, keep thinking I will wake up in a minute. What a ride!!

This is where we were when Brendan took the wheel!!

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/league/premier-league-2011-2012

deathly_death

kwala said:
Great result, but it is a bit of a strange feeling at present. I thought yesterday after the results went our way I'd be ecstatic/mega confident about the rest of the season if we beat spurs, but, having battered them, and calmed down, all I can think is, lets not throw it away at West Ham. A poor result next time out will undo all that has gone our way.

City and Chelsea both play before us next week as well, and both have pretty tough games. But, if they win, we need to respond.

Job done today, on to the next, Big Sam away will be a toughie, but we are more than capable of demolishing the 'Ammers.

NEXT. 1 game at a time is my new mantra. It keeps a lid on it......

I can't actually believe we are 100% in control with 6 games to go, keep thinking I will wake up in a minute. What a ride!!

This is where we were when Brendan took the wheel!!

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/league/premier-league-2011-2012
You've got your point here. West Ham is definitely not a piece of cake.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
deathly_death said:
You've got your point here. West Ham is definitely not a piece of cake.
did they not frustrate the hell out of Chelsea a month ago for a draw?