• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool 4 Spurs 0

anglian_red

Chelsea also beat us pretty comfortably in December.

Chelsea is the fixture of most concern for me. Mourinho knows how to get a 1-0 at very tough venues, they'll be incredibly hard to beat.

City on the other hand are iffy away from home, we played very well against them on Boxing Day, there's goals for us there.

SupaLFC

anglian_red said:
Chelsea also beat us pretty comfortably in December.

Chelsea is the fixture of most concern for me. Mourinho knows how to get a 1-0 at very tough venues, they'll be incredibly hard to beat.

City on the other hand are iffy away from home, we played very well against them on Boxing Day, there's goals for us there.
They were at home and we played City 4 days earlier on the road as well and i remember our squad was paper thin at the time. No Sturridge or Gerrard either. They will not be able to shift their defense towards Suarez this time. Different game all together.

SupaLFC

Semmy said:
did they not frustrate the hell out of Chelsea a month ago for a draw?
Yes because Chelsea play like they do, only with better players. The game they play is narrow and congested and Chelsea plays the same and also defend deep and with 6 always behind the ball. You have to spread these lower teams wide to get attacking lanes

WrongIslander

Football is a funny old game. I've spent the whole night with one of the quietest lads that I know who after watching this tonight got smashed and has been telling everyone one and I quote:

"We're gonna win the league, we're gonna win the league and now you're gonna believe us and now you're gonna believe us and now you're gonna believe us, we're gonna win the fucking league."

the scary thing is, he may have a point and if we do much as I love the lad, he's not coming out with me as I don't want to be responsible for his death.

Seriously though, what a weekend. I pray (even as an atheist) that we win this title but if we don't (blasphemy) I'm so proud I couldn't begin to express it.

yiannos33

Believe
There are no easy games for us. We are at the top of the league,and everybody will be
gunning for us. We have to be prepare and focus for the next game,which will be west ham away.
Today's performance was outstanding,and we were bossing them from the opening minute.
Our defense was solid today,with a clean sheet to show.

We are Liverpool ...

HippyChopper

Lads I fucking love it. We were a class above. Easy from the second minute. Our team is playing with quality confidence and style. Top of the league and only six more finals to go. Enjoy

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
if they somehow beat us 1 - 0 at home then they deserve to win the league.

anglian_red

gb1986 said:
Did Sherwood really go sit in the directors box at some point during the match??
No.

Sherwood spent the entire game in the directors box. He never came down to the touchline.

RedStefarus

TIA Youth Team
Missed it...aaargggh.

Was expecting 1-1 for no other reason than being pessimistic. Happy days, well done.

Looks like we had another "outstanding" performance to quote a soon legendary gaffer.

SupaLFC

yiannos33 said:
There are no easy games for us. We are at the top of the league,and everybody will be
gunning for us. We have to be prepare and focus for the next game,which will be west ham away.
Today's performance was outstanding,and we were bossing them from the opening minute.
Our defense was solid today,with a clean sheet to show.

We are Liverpool ...
I don't think teams will be gunning for us because we are on top. 3 of the teams we play are battling relegation and 2 are battling for the title. New castle is really the only one with so called nothing to play for and they are last. Everybody else is doing things for themselves but they all have to deal with our attack and deal with how we play. We just have to play our game and concentrate

Kontra

TIA Regular
One game at a time. It's cliche yes, but I literally got to a stage where I cannot think or speak past the next fixture. Head starts hurting and heart starts thumping like crazy.
I hope the boys are not thinking anything past West Ham too.

But what a performance today, Sterling is a beast. Our back 4 looked as solid as ever too. And, not sure if someone has mentioned this before but we are TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

How that penalty save by Mignole in our first match looks incredibly important now along with all those 1:0s in which Sturidge scored for us.
Come on you RedMen!!!!

POBox

TIA Reserve Team
Seeing is believing. B) We are now "there or there about".

Red Tiger

Not in my wildest dreams did I imagine being top of the table after 32 games.

The only thing that makes me happier than being 1st is the satisfaction that United are now a mid-table club. :D

How times change.

tesh

TIA New Signing
Are there words to describe this… the dream continues!

jhr8

What was that Vertonghen was saying about Suarez being the only difference between us and them?
Yeah more like Suarez and the other 10 players on the pitch for us.

RedSouthIndian

TIA Squad Member
I thought since this was our third game in little more than a week, it could get tough. Spurs had a score to settle. Citeh & Chelsea drop points heaping pressure on us. So what happens next, we just go out and trash them. Nothing more than a stroll in the park!!

Spurs hardly put any resistance. They gifted a goal and later tested whether Suarez had a presence of mind. He did, they were two behind. Sterling & Couti were tearing them apart. 2 more goals in the 2nd half and that is when Spurs wake up and start playing football. A flurry of corners from Spurs but what stood out was Flanno's crunching tackle on Soldado. Man, I thought his foot was broken.

So, I continue to dream. Six more games to go as we go top of the table. And our intention was to somehow get into top four this season!! Whatever the outcome, this has been the best PL season since I started supporting LFC and watching them on TV since from around the turn of the century. Not just because of the results, but because of things like the brand of football we have played, the type of goals we scored and the way BR & the team have carried themselves around. Long may this continue......!!

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Can any one tell me Gerrards scenario? i mean if he gets a yellow now, he wont be suspended right??

Gerrard4life

TIA Regular
Red Tiger said:
Not in my wildest dreams did I imagine being top of the table after 32 games.

The only thing that makes me happier than being 1st is the satisfaction that United are now a mid-table club. :D

How times change.
This should not make you happier. Always put your own club first

XV1989

POST MATCH
Younes Kaboul (OG) 2' 1 - 0
Luis Suárez 25' 2 - 0
--
Philippe Coutinho 55' (assist by John Flanagan) 3 - 0
Jordan Henderson 75' 4 - 0

LIVERPOOL
22 ---- S. Mignolet
2 ---- G. Johnson
5 ---- D. Agger
37 ---- M. Å krtel
38 ---- J. Flanagan
8 ---- S. Gerrard 70' L. Leiva
14 ---- J. Henderson GOAL! 75'
10 ---- Philippe Coutinho GOAL! 55' 64' J. Allen
31 ---- R. Sterling 83' V. Moses
7 ---- L. Suárez 25' GOAL!
15 ---- D. Sturridge
Coach: B. Rodgers

TOTTENHAM
25 ---- H. Lloris
4 ---- Y. Kaboul OWN GOAL! 2'
5 ---- J. Vertonghen 24' M. Dawson
3 ---- D. Rose
16 ---- K. Naughton
7 ---- A. Lennon 59' A. Townsend
21 ---- N. Chadli
22 ---- G. Sigurðsson
23 ---- C. Eriksen
42 ---- N. Bentaleb 60' M. Dembélé
9 ---- Soldado

LFC ---- TTH
57% possesion 43%

5 Corners 7

1 Shots on target 4

6 Shots wide 8

9 Fouls 11

2 Offsides 0

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
indianscouser said:
Can any one tell me Gerrards scenario? i mean if he gets a yellow now, he wont be suspended right??
If he gets a yellow against West Ham or City he gets a two game ban. Otherwise he will be fine as it goes up to 15 yellows after that before he would receive a suspension. Think that's where we stand.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
If he gets a yellow against West Ham or City he gets a two game ban. Otherwise he will be fine as it goes up to 15 yellows after that before he would receive a suspension. Think that's where we stand.
The amnesty is wiped on the second Sunday in April - problem is that we play on the second Sunday, and I can't see anywhere that says what time the Amnesty comes into effect.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
POBox said:
What is this?
The wrong way round, and inaccurate anyway. I thought we had five or six shots on target anyway? Three of the goals, the Suarez header and the Sturridge back heel spring to mind. I'm sure there were a couple more.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
The wrong way round, and inaccurate anyway. I thought we had five or six shots on target anyway? Three of the goals, the Suarez header and the Sturridge back heel spring to mind. I'm sure there were a couple more.
They had about 5 shots on target too that Mignolet got some good saves in on.