Post Match: Liverpool 4 West Ham 1

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Great concern on Gerrard's injury. Especially with the fixtures coming up ahead. Our midfield gonna be further weakened as if it was not weak enough.

On the match, i'm not sure if i should say: "we only scored 4?", or "how did we score 4with so much misses". Eitehr way, 3 points so i'm really glad. But honestly Suarez needed to keep his feet on the ground, as he started to miss as many chances as back when he just came from Ajax (and still got that confidence in easily scoring goals)

We did oour best, and this weekend should be one to enjoy. So there

yiannos33

Believe
Motm Coutinho for me. What a gem we have and only 21. He was pulling the strings today.

fcukManU

still a dani pacheco stan
RedLaw said:
Was especially pleased to see Raheem get back to close to his best today, just hope our own fans get off his back and allow him to develop.
I was actually hoping Victor Moses/Aspas started ahead of him this match, but he proved me wrong. He was using his pace to make intelligent runs and put in a few good crosses too. Once we were piling pressure in their third and our tails were up, he made some incisive passes, decent link play and attacked well. One of his better all-round performances. His shooting was just shit, but we've got to be forgiving of that if we want to gain anything from our young prospects long term - yes it was poor but I wouldn't roast him for it, yet.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
I started watching around 20 minutes in and thought this was a much better team performance than against Norwich. A lot of combination play, and for once players seemed to know where teammates were.

Lacked a bit of final ball for the entire game though, which is why our scorers were Suarez and Own Goal. If Sterling had put away one of his three chances, it would've been a much easier game. However, he needs to be given more time and the confidence that eventually one of the shots will come off, after which the rest will follow. I thought he was much better than last time out, so hopefully it's onwards and upwards from him.

Henderson too had a better performance in terms of link up play. We can't expect to rely on Coutinho to orchestrate every attack, so it's nice to see fringe players like Henderson and Allen looking increasingly comfortable.

We're still a bit short in terms of consistency, but we're improving in that regard. Set pieces may be a bit more of a problem.

YNWAGerrard

This is how we should score every game!
No one expects it and its impossible to prevent it :D

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
I was pleased with the play of Sakho. There was one moment early in where he and Skrtel were split by a good run (cant recall who it was) but beyond that it was good to see him aggressively dominate in the air and make some hard challenges.

The CB debate may exist for a bit longer, but I think we need to build that partnership around Sakho and his toughness. Who he partners with may be up for debate, but his place on the pitch should not be.

pottymonster

Peanut butter!
It got a little nervy there for a couple of minutes after the Skrtel OG, but they dealt with it and got the results.

Mignolet continues to be superb making the saves when called upon, but he just can't get a break and pick up the clean sheets his performances deserve.

Based on the Skrtel OG though, I think he's just made too many of those recently. I've not been in favor of his starting week in week out, and now I think he definitely needs to be on the bench. Coming up could be a chance to see Toure-Sakho but I'm still holding out for Agger-Sakho.

Sterling looked excellent in his time on the pitch, but he still needs work with the finishing. Had a couple of chances that he just couldn't bury.

Suarez looked a little off until the end, but came up big when we needed him.

Hopefully Gerrard isn't out too long, but if he is maybe it's what we need to convince management to strengthen the midfield in January.

Assaidi man of the day though haha. A bit of a forgotten man, but that should raise him back to the consciousness.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
On the whole much better than last week. Bounced back the right way

Defence still gives me the fear. Skrtel is on thin ice for me. Sakho missed one header but pushed the line up and doesn't miss a pass. He's not just some big lug, he can play and is a threat at the other end

Allen did well in the midfield. Lucas wasn't great until we for the cushion of the 3rd when he grew in to it a bit. Moses off the bench put in a smidgen more effort though looked like he was running in treacle at times

Sterling was good, finishing will come with maturity. Suarez, not at his best but the last few minutes he showed why he is world class. Coutinho a real menace throughout

Glen Johnson finally contributed something useful with lovely cross for no 3. Lazy fucker but talent sometimes comes through. Flanagan did ok again though

Gerrard's injury could be problematic in the tough games ahead but this weekend bailed us out a bit after the mare of last weekend

Need to be a bit more composed at times but liked the way we killed the game off late on. Needed that ruthlessness

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Damn if we had score one more goal, I would have netted 1400 pounds on my 50 pounds bet! In the end, I broke even. At least I did not lose my money, if it was 5-0, I would have won 400 pounds 10 pounds but 4-1 gave me back my money I betted haha...

punter aside, wonderful win for us again. Worried for a moment, but we created like 30 shots? I think at least it seems like Anfield is like a fortress again for the teams coming. Cardiff would be scrambling to find a tactic to contain us. Bring on Spurs next week.

Worrying injury to Gerrard. Hopefully its time for Henderson, Allen and Lucas to step up in this busy schedule, do not think Captain will be back soon if it is a hamstring as feared.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Very good performance. Delighted with the result. More of a team performance today and not a one man show. Also good to see the team having the mental strength to keep going after their goal. A couple of years ago we could easily have folded.

Not always easy to create that many chances against West Ham, but we did more than enough today and steamrolled them in the second half. Also thought we defended all right against their set pieces, which usually is a specialty for Allardyce teams.

Joe Allen the pick of the bunch for me today. Brilliant performance. Suarez with a goal, Skrtel with an own goal. Everything in its right place. :)

Claymenza

I'd like to see a combination of Henderson + allen + coutinho at the top of the spear in a 2-1 formation.

To me, Henderson's engine and allen's technique would be a good combination.

Urban Achiever

Migno - great
Skrtel - solid... couldn't do anything dif'rent on their goal.
Sakho - Very good! 100% passing, thank you! This guy is gonna be sooooo good for us.
Flanno - it's allright
Johnson - what an assist!? apart from that a bit shaky.
Lucas - OK
Hendo - That effort... damn he's a hard worker. Excellent pressure.
Allen - very good, Sir... could actually turn out to be a great player for us...right?
Gerrard - well, he can do better but he's still great and better than most.
Sterling - mehhhh.... with skills he would be world class. Missed too many huge chances to get a thumbs up, but he did get into the situations.
Cou - great but he could be even better
Suarez - Dafuq!!? Dude has an offday and scores 1 and forces 2 own goals!!!! This guy is simply unbelievable. Whatever we can offer him as an extension to his contract.... DO IT! He's insane.... Today wasn't even a good game for him and look what he did!!!!!

Moses - oohhhhh, mmyyyy, gaaaawwwddd.... he's not gonna stay.
Kelly - Ok

Assaidi - what a hit, son... he didn't even believe his own eyes :)

It's saturday evening and I feel great! Thank you Brenadan Rodgers and LFC!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
TassieRed said:
Sakho looked good which is a plus.

Fairly one dimensional old style CB. But it's a good dimension to have. Wins the ball in the air. Intercepts passes. And not afraid to put his boot through it to clear his lines.

It was quite refreshing to watch.
One dimensional how?

He's our best footballer at CB as well (yes, better than Agger based on this season's viewing). I think he's anything but one dimensional.

Joshua179

Got to say I think Sakho and Skrtel are our best pairing bar the mishap. . .

And that Mignolet deserves more clean sheets! And that Flanagan's first half performance was shaky but I think he handled it well and got back on track

shootscore

Positives for me were the fluidity in attack, Sakho (the beast!), Allen getting into it (though still losing out at crucial points tacklewise), Sterling's confidence and ability, and mostly, after cruising it at 2-0 and conceding a weak goal, keeping the composure (ok, with 1 lucky escape, but so it goes) and finishing the job.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Of the three games this week, that performance was the best team display. Less said about Hull the better. Norwich was all about one man.

Fat Sam is never going to be involved in a game of beautiful flowing football, but under those circumstances the team dealt with it exactly as they should. They moved the ball about and just chipped away until the breakthrough came. And it you can get ahead against this kind of anti-football side, then you're move likely to rout them that drop points.

Sakho was brilliant - exactly what we need from a centre back. He was strong, commanding and won everything in the air. I'd like him and Skrtel given the chance to build a partnership. Martin seemed very confident next to him - he needs to play with an organiser and a leader. He couldn't do anything about the own goal - he's got to try and get something on the ball.

Sterling had a really productive game. He needs a lot more assuredness in front of goal, but he really troubled West Ham with his pace.

Possibly the best thing about the game - or possibly the worst depending on your perspective - was that our midfield look so much better. Seeing the team after Lucas came on for Gerrard confirmed some suspicions. We can carry Gerrard or Lucas, and it's probably worth doing so for what each bring to the table - but we can' t carry both.

jhr8

Feeling great after this weeks results, Utd and Chelsea both lost, City drew and now hopefully Sunderland will get up over Spurs.
Great to be back in 2nd.
Apart from a few shaky moments the team looked great today. Allen is staring to show how good he was and can be for us. Hopefully Gerrard just got a knock and will be back next week. I like the Allen/Gerrard/Hendo trio in midfield.

Bring on Spurs next week!

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
OOTer said:
Some of the best footie we've played all season against a team that tried to press out half. Their goal seemed to rattle us a bit, crowd and all. But our 3rd restored the control we had almost all game.
Usually our reaction to conceding is abysmal. We go to pieces, lose control of the ball and look like a boxer whose wobbling after being caught.

Today we did exactly what we should do. We took ten minutes out of the game. Just kept it very simple, played it around and gave West Ham no opportunity to build any momentum. If we can get into the habit of doing that, then it's a massive leap forward in maturity from the team.

slufsar

Allen was really, really good. He should be established in our midfield based on the last two performances.

Defensively, we're still a bit shaky. I thought West Ham had too many big chances

Maulkin

LittleFinger
slufsar said:
Allen was really, really good. He should be established in our midfield based on the last two performances.

Defensively, we're still a bit shaky. I thought West Ham had too many big chances
And Mignolet kept us int he game from the start. Nice team though.

OhYaBeauty

theres always tommorrow said:
What a great weekend...there is a god!

All the results gone our way so far. A draw tomorrow for Arsenal would be the best result.

But what a bizarre game....we could have been 7-0 up at one point - then looked like we were heading for a draw....only to see genius step up and take the pain away!!! Great stuff
And his name is Luis Suarez (step aside, Fowler)

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Some great runs from Sterling... and Coutinho was magnificent with some of his passes. If Sterling was more clinical this game would have been more lop-sided. Great to see that his confidence seems to be restored after his goal in mid-week.

Allen had a very good game as well. And hopefully he gets an extended run in the team to see whether he can recapture his September form from last year. He offers so much more to the attack than Lucas and we should really be starting him against most of our weaker opposition. Allen will still have to prove whether he can do it versus harder competition though... because that's not a given.

Suarez was his typical magnificent self. Not much to say really. He was really good but it is almost expected really... which just goes to show how great of a player he is.

Sakho was very good as well. And I personally think he deserves an extended run in the team.

LeoT

Excellent weekend so far, all we need now is for Spurs to pick up a couple of red cards is key areas (...maybe central defence).

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Best performance in a while, created plenty and didn't depend solely on Suarez. Some areas remain problematic but it was an encouraging outing especially in the second half.

We must not get carried away though. We've probably lost Gerrard for quite some time, Sturridge is out, our defence keeps giving away soft goals and the most difficult set of fixtures awaits us. Much work to be done.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
Very pleased that Allen and Sterling are showing their quality, I always had confidence.

It's a massive boost going into 2nd spot, because boy have we got some tough matches coming up.

Oh, and heads up to the little lady in my avatar for another good call earlier today lol

bes

Great team work just hope Stevie will be back next week.

Bobbinho

Delighted with the win, other results going our way too....not totally convincing performance, still a bit shaky & pretty off target in the final third.......but not a bad team effort i think overall, i'd say that Skrtel should now be omitted from the side, too many costly errors leaking goals in games like that could be costly....esp when we weren't exactly on target ourselves...

West Ham it has to be said were proper shite today & we won't be getting away with such sloppiness in the final third against more switched on opposition, that said in terms of confidence & momentum this was a good game for us, Sterling Henderson Allen all played their part Mignolet's reaction save in the first half definitely helped prevent West Ham from getting any steam up, might well have been a different game if that had gone in, so Kudo's again for him.

Good to see Kelly get involved as well, really hoping he can make it back as regular first team player, Sakho, completely justified his starting place & should be kept in there from now on, seems a lot more reliable than either Agger or Skrt's....Glen, hit & miss as usual, Flanno did okay but does get beat a bit too easy at times, a little green going forward too, given his age & experience i think he's doing pretty well though overall.

Bit concerned about Gerrard, hopefully he won't be out for too long, some tough fixtures coming up, but results like this will at least improve our chances of meeting those teams with a bit more confidence & a few more points under our belt.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
4-1 with a better performance than the 5-1 against Norwich. Good save 1st half from Mignolet, dependable when called upon! Flanno and Sterling performed well, as did Sakkho and Allen.

Our Magic Imp - WOW! Even when not at his best he's beyond brilliant!
Courtinho was magnificent!

Still plenty of room for improvement too!!!

Bonnar-Of-The-Kop

Keeping It Simple
Great day for us. Results elsewhere on their own would be enough but we put in a very professional performance today.

Negatives:
  • He was OK, but Skrtel just seems to keep shooting himself in the foot right now. He was unlucky with his OG I know but he should have done better with it.
  • When WHU got their goal we looked dodgy, like some of the lads almost felt like WHU would score again.
  • Gerrard going off, hope it's not serious
  • Set-pieces still get your heart going, in a bad way. We did look better with Sahko in there, however.
  • We where a bit slow out of the blokes 1st half.
Positives:
  • Suarez. Missed a couple of chances that you'd expect him to better with but did it affect him? Did it fuck. The man just goes full throttle all game long, and fully deserved his goal and was involved in 3 in the 4. Class again today.
  • I worried for Allen after the Derby but against Norwich and definatley today he looked excellent. He, Gerrard and Coutinho ran the show in the Middle today, right from the word go WHU never had a chance to build anything from that area and our passing was so positive and direct, just the eay we need to play at Home.
  • Sahko's perfomance was very good. Should be a 1st team regular for me. Dealt with everything that came his way.
  • The Performance in general. The fact we broke down a 'park the bus' team, coupled with the fact we not just held the lead after being pegged back, but we extended it, seems so far away from where we were a year or two ago. At that time, if we had let that lead slip we might have drawn this game or worse. But now, it seems like we have so much more steel, more desire about us. This, for me, is the biggest plus point from today.
Overall, we should all be very happy chappys :)