Post Match: Liverpool 4 West Ham 1

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
great performance from the team especially suarez, sakho..

It's pretty clear after those substitution by now that our midfield cannot have both lucas and gerrard together. Allen proved me wrong by picking himself up after the merseyside derby to have a decent performance. Henderson with better tackling and a better passing would be one that can replace Gerrard at the middle of the park, if and only if, he improves on the two said points. Coutinho did pretty well today...

From our defence, only skrtel was the miss...the defence line has to be higher up than what it is and skrtel has to be told in no uncertain terms to buck up as he is not challenging for the ball higher up the pitch. The further he is from our box, the better he will be as a defender...This season really showed that Skrtel's reading of the game is not as top-class as we thought...

Moses is really a miss for now. Sterling needs to develop a footballing brain and some semblance of finishing soon...his pace and good positioning is wasted if he doesn't know how to make the ball work for him...

Fullmetal

Jedi Knight
I like the way how Rodgers handled Allen after his how-on-earth-did-you-miss-that miss, the guy is starting to show his qualities

Just checked the premier league website. Suarez has not been credited for our 4th goal (which instead goes down as an own goal) but Sakho has credited our 2nd goal.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
liverpool_singh said:
Just checked the premier league website. Suarez has not been credited for our 4th goal (which instead goes down as an own goal) but Sakho has credited our 2nd goal.
Suarez shot was on target, and I thought that was how they worked this stuff out.

Bobbinho

alphakilo said:
Borini to come on as a sub and score a late winner against Spurs anyone?
Sunderland 1-0.... :D

Edit - Spurs just equalised 1-1.

Borini coming on to score the winner would be hilarious.

Mascot88 said:
Suarez shot was on target, and I thought that was how they worked this stuff out.
It did look like it initially but I had a look at the replay and it may just have been heading wide.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
yiannos33 said:
Motm Coutinho for me. What a gem we have and only 21. He was pulling the strings today.
His passes today were pure gold

DCJ

TIA Youth Team
what difference a week makes. Great effort from all, great result and even better for us at other matches.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Gerrard clearly can't play 3 games in a week...
He should have been subbed off early last week when we were in cruise control.
Rodgers needs to be a bit mindful of the little things...

Other than that fantastic result and performance and delighted that we are crushing these park the bus teams, especially at home. I thought Allen was fantastic and offers more creativity than Lucas.

nimitzz

TIA Reserve Team
sakho, allen were good... but still not a great performance... but still 3 points is fine.... i thgt alberto should have been sent instead of moses or even lucas.... frankly he n aspas deserved a shot.
surpised by sterlings perfomance... cant blame suarez ....
hope gerrard is not that seriously injured... but if he is 50-50 then rest him against spurs... we need him for city n chelsea...
3 points for liverpool is what makes my day...

Urban Achiever

Borini looking pretty useless against Spurs.... fingers crossed but doubt he'll make it :-(

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Sterling was great today I thought, really troubled them all day, probably should have buried one of his chances though. Good to see him playing strongly as we'll certainly need him this month. Sakho was very good. Gerrard, Suarez, and of course Coutinho were clicking. Good overall performance and much better from Joe Allen though I saw him give away the ball cheaply a few times. MOM Assaidi.

I think it may be us battling it out with Everton and Spurs for the 4th spot(or maybe higher?) and I like our chances.

grooveshark

Banned Users
Thought Sterling played really well, and he has always had it in him the ability to get into goal scoring positions...........his finishing needs work.

Also think that Allen needs to start ahead of Lucas, he has given a good account of himself the past two games.

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
Team not perfect but putting the lie to the opinion that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ must be spent in January for an entire revamp.

Especially as those who have spent loads aren't exactly wiping the floor with opponents...

Though I'm sure a couple of tweaks would be useful.

Great weekend. I really love watching The Drunkard's team and the Stamford Rent Boys suffering.

Genuinely surprised at City being so up and down.

jimbo

TIA Regular
Great 3 points great weekend

Really need to strengthen this window I think the most important window for years..

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
We need to get a letter-writing campaign going, showing our support of David Moyes as manager of Man U.

Le_hunt

Agger's knuckles
hopefully, just hopefully Stevie will be alright.

cracking win apart from that, chuffed to see Mamad' playing AND somehow getting a goal. couldn't care less about how many OG we've had (and conceeded), as long as the 3 points are here.

oh, and need I say Oussama's input to our squad this season is already better than Moses ? ha.

Claymenza

I would like to see sterling see out a game or two. it's not like he was giving up possession.

With that said, we still scored two with moses on.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
great win, and an important one at that. going to play spurs with some positive momentum, even as favorites to win, when was the last time that happend ?

Sterling played great, how on earth did he not finish with a hat trick is beyond me, but he created havok on the right, and linked well with Luis. got to give it to Allen, probably the best i have seen him play in a red shirt, pushing the ball forward, making things happen.

hope gerrard will be OK for spurs, but i doubt it. my guess 3 weeks out.

Superior Complex

Sterling is playing with flair again which is good and important, once the kid gets his goal scoring ability intact he could become world class.

Suarez unbelievable, feeling a big confident going into the spurs and cheese game. If we can get points against them, we can afford to lose to City. But I'd be happy with the draw, the win has to be unthinkable against city at home.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Positives-

Allen, passed it around well and seemed to be at the hub of everything positive. MOM for me.
Sakho, strong and good in the air with decent feet and a good range of passing. Lumps it out when needed too as well.
Coutinho, starting to show something like his true form, brings creativity to the side.
Sterling, this kid has serious ablility and pace to burn. Could have had a hatrick. Hope he gets the support from the fans that he needs to suceed here.
Mignolet................Pepe who? (no disrespect to Reina intended)

Negatives-

Wasted far too many good chances today.
Defending set pieces and crosses into the box....................................usual crap and keystone cops organisation was evident.
We cannot keep a clean sheet. Its 13 games since we managed a shut out.
Moses, doesn't look like somebody playing for a move here does he? Looks like he's still carrying those stone tablets under his arms.

Poetry In Motion

Omnishambles
Another good, solid home win today. But I hate to say, I'm dreading the 'big 3' away matches in December. Spurs don't seem to concede many at home, and we're very leaky away. Chelsea just don't lose at home in the Premiership under Mourinho (literally) and City at home speak for themselves. Our defense isn't filling me with confidence at all, and there is still some slackness to the middle of the park. We can get away with that in home games against lesser opposition like West Brom, Fulham, Norwich and West Ham of late (all of which we have scored 4+ goals). But we are a very fluid side in attack, and the way we play should unlock weak defences. Arsenal made us look average, our defence was sixes and sevens against Everton and Hull was... Well, we know that... We're in a dilemma in that we haven't got the solid foundations at the back to go and grind out a scrappy point at the better sides, but we can't expose our attacking credentials as it leaves us too free and open to be capitalised upon. Perhaps poor showings in these big games will be a wake up call and a blessing in disguise for the January transfer window. But, we're 2nd in early December, there's still plenty of reasons to be cheerful!

Claymenza

I'd fancy sterling against city. Suarez is hot right now and I don't think spurs or city will let him do his thing. I expect the support players to make some impact in the next coming weeks.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
I don't know about anyone else but I can't watch Match of the Day if Liverpool get a bad result. So it's really nice to be looking forward to it so much tonight. Can't wait to see that Assaidi goal.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
ILLOK said:
One dimensional how?

He's our best footballer at CB as well (yes, better than Agger based on this season's viewing). I think he's anything but one dimensional.
Perhaps poorly chosen words on my behalf. Just like the fact that he's a solid force in the back line. Never going to dazzle us with trickery but does the essentials very well. Very well. So comforting.

Also adds something going forward to be honest. So perhaps 2 dimensional. :lol:

A very good buy in my opinion.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
The positives:
Mignolet - Absolutely crucial and vital block from Maiga on 21 minutes and a few minutes earlier a fantastic quick throw out to Sterling for a chance. Just such a tempo setting moment that (the throw out) ...as most GK's would just claim the ball and go to the deck. Nice to see him go pro-active there, just as Pepe used to do for us. The signal that something like that sends to the team (and the opposition) shouldn't be underestimated. Almost a defining moment.
Allen - Just him stepping-up and looking the part again after a really very difficult year. Not perfect, as in the odd semi-dangerous turnover now-and-then, but also night-and-day improvement and he looks like he's well up for it atm. Grasping his recent run out with both hands and just about making himself undroppable.
Coutinho - Not at his very best (by a long way) yet, but just so easy on the eye and drifting all over the CM and the more advanced areas and always a real threat on the ball. Love how he's assuming ever more responsibility and becoming very integral for us. I do still want goals and assists from him ...but that's surely just a question of when and not if.
Suarez - Even when he has a "quiet" game, he still scores and also "assists" two own goals :). RVP who? Haha ...easily the best player in the EPL currently , by a country mile.
Sterling - He just gets in so many great positions and he has the pace to trouble defenses. End product cq final third decision-making still way below what it (maybe) should be (or might be) and that's (often) infuriating ...but he's still just a kid after all. Not bad at all for a youngster.
Sakho - Wow! That was a seriously impressive game from him and he must surely have nailed LCB for the next game at least. Just a beast of a CB and very secure on the ball too.
Response to Gerrard out with a hamstring and our response to the 1-2 - Just very impressive on both counts. We bossed it even when Gerrard went off and we rode out their comeback spell pretty well too. OK, they had a triple shot on 71 minutes and a shot 2 minutes later, but it was very quickly authority re-asserted and game-over within 5~10 minutes. Just a small re-grouping moment and then back to business. Especially nice to see 3 second-half goals scored, as we almost couldn't buy a second-half performance in the first half-dozen games this season. Now we're just kicking-on second-half and looking ever more comfortable all-game long.

The (semi-)negatives:
WH had the better chances first half - Diame's defense splitting-ball to Maiga and Maiga's bullet header were probably the best chances of the first-half ...but we survived them and nicked the own-goal lead at the break.
No clean sheet - A lingering problem, and despite 20 minutes of absolute domination at the start of the second-half, we just couldn't totally kill the game off and yet another routine cross saw a goal being conceeded. I think most fans were clock-watching a little from that point onwards and probably worried a bit after that (I know I was aka fearing the worst and an onslaught), but on second viewing it wasn't nearly so nervy. Just a small re-group to then kick-on again. Early season, we just sat back for the last half hour. Now we went back on the front foot very quickly and went positive i.e. not hang on, but look to put the game to bed.

Summary - A slow start and we even rode our luck a little at times but ultimately a very deserved and a very convincing win. We needed the odd bit of good fortune along the way, but our superior class shone through in the end. Fortress Anfield and all that - just a joy to see LFC looking to score goals at home and very focused on winning.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
grooveshark said:
Also think that Allen needs to start ahead of Lucas, he has given a good account of himself the past two games.
Interesting thought. Wondering what's going on in BR's head about this.

My personal opinion is that Lucas still has it over Allen when we are playing better teams to provide cover for the back four and allow the other midfielders to bomb forward. But he offers little going forward. As opposed to Allen, who definitely contributes in the final third.

Would be happy with seeing them alternate starts depending on the quality of the opposition.

Be interesting to see what happens with Gerrards injury. Perhaps Brendan will play both of them from the start?

craigbellamy

Swinging away, hoping to land one on a motd idiot
Just watched to close up of flanno's tackle, lucky to stay on when compared to Nolan's......