Post-Match: Liverpool 5-1 Norwich

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
Ref had a good game too. Very fair.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Maulkin said:
I thought it as a joke, so thank you for making me feel less alone. (Special thanks to Hugo too) ;)

We kept a player that wanted to leave last summer, didn't we? As for LS salary, if the contract still has got bonuses related to performance, and if he keeps banging goals for fun like today, I'm sure at the end of the season, he'll get a pretty nice check.
You are entirely welcome, mate!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Canuck33 said:
Unfortunately, these idiots over here showed 7 of the 9 games which were on and the LFC was not one of them. Obviously, Suarez had a decent game. But how about the rest of the lads?
I assume you must be in Canada - if so, don't forget to check TSN.ca, they had a free live stream. Not ideal, but still decent quality.

Joe90

A Dalglish and a Rush and the Cup is ours
V nice finish by Sterling.

A bit scruffy at times but well-played. Got the ball forward quickly and some great work in the middle by Coutinho and Luis Alberto did well at the end. I didn't think Henderson had a shocker, but certainly could do with some confidence and technique in front of goal. To me, that's the bit missing from his game. He has a great engine, passes well (Suarez ain't that flash at passing sometimes, remember) and is getting better and better tactically.

Canuck33

Banned Users
Arminius said:
I assume you must be in Canada - if so, don't forget to check TSN.ca, they had a free live stream. Not ideal, but still decent quality.
Assumed right. But I got off the job early and watched the games at the pub with a bunch of Limeys. So watching a stream was not in the cards. The only good thing about the afternoon was, that these lads were all a bunch of Manc fans and I was jumping in the midst of the lot when Everton scored. Really felt good.

Redragbull

Great match, a pleasure to be there. I'm not going to nitpick...just savour the moment for the next 3 days.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
What would we do without him.... to all who missed the goals!

Talk about converting defence to attack. Gerrard got an assist from a defensive header from our own half.

After having partnered with Lucas for so many seasons, Gerrard finally learned how to make Lucas' fan appreciate his work by mimicking the Brazilian's decoy run.

Suarez found a new way to fool defenders this season other than his nutmeg. Act as if he is falling before taking the shot.

Now That's How You Take A Freekick!!!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Canuck33 said:
Assumed right. But I got off the job early and watched the games at the pub with a bunch of Limeys. So watching a stream was not in the cards. The only good thing about the afternoon was, that these lads were all a bunch of Manc fans and I was jumping in the midst of the lot when Everton scored. Really felt good.
It is pretty damned irritating how TSN uses the second game in the package as a web-only offering, while the likes of Stoke-Cardiff was available on TV.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I am truly happy that we now have 3 very good threats from Gerrard, Suarez and the left foot of Sturridge from freekicks. We used to not score alot from set pieces, but now we are scoring from corners and freekicks.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
Totally worth waking up in the middle of the night to watch and call in sick in the morning instead of going to work!

Genius, what else can I say? All great goals, goals that we will all remember especially that first one for me. The sheer audacity to volley from 40+ yards! The smarts it took to score the third the way he did........ He fooled the defender into thinking he would take the shot a split second earlier and when Luis waited for the ball to drop some more really bought him some more time and space to hit the half volley to the far corner. Then the free kick, now that's how you bend it. Bend it like Suarez!

Got to say that I thought the performance by everyone else was quite average at best. Without Luis we would struggle to score, without Suarez and Sturridge we'd be hopeless. Just when Rodgers wants the other players to help Luis score goals we get 4 great goals from #7.
Coutinho was always threatening but Henderson was useless. Yeah he ran around a lot but did nothing that required skill. He ran down the left twice just heading into the corner flag, what was he intending to do then I wonder?
Gerrard was a bit hit and miss, some great balls and some mistakes like being late with the pressuring and misplaced passes. Allen was like that too but did o.k considering he hasn't played all that much recently.

Johnson looked lively but was too selfish for me. When he tries to score himself instead of passing to the teammate in a better position constantly it annoys me. Flano defended well but offered little in an attacking sense.

Big Agger fan, huge in fact but he was poor and Sakho needs to take his place now.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
I think it was an exaggeration to say that besides Suarez most of the team was average. Absolutely... we would have lacked the same cutting edge if he wasn't there but "many" of our players did their part.

Coutinho was a constant threat. Allen and Gerrard put in good performances. Johnson, Henderson and Sterling were not great, but average is 50% and they were slightly better than OK.

It was terrific compared to that hellish nightmare on Sunday. We had a lot more possession in dangerous areas, a lot more incisive passing, and many more opportunities.

If Suarez were not there we would have lacked a striker to convert those opportunities and therefore struggled to score. But that is because he our only healthy and capable striker (we lack depth in this area) and not because the rest of the team was just average.

Red Tiger

Suarez. :cheers: :thumbright:

I though BR should have got some minutes for the rest of our squad as well. The only negative really.

The next game will be crucial before we head into the most difficult stage and fixtures of the season.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
lfc.eddie said:
What would we do without him.... to all who missed the goals!

Talk about converting defence to attack. Gerrard got an assist from a defensive header from our own half.

After having partnered with Lucas for so many seasons, Gerrard finally learned how to make Lucas' fan appreciate his work by mimicking the Brazilian's decoy run.

Suarez found a new way to fool defenders this season other than his nutmeg. Act as if he is falling before taking the shot.

Now That's How You Take A Freekick!!!
Thanks for this Eddie
I was bummed to not see this live
God, this guy just makes me laugh out loud with joy at the way he scores goals - this hat trick, his last one, the free kick a couple of weeks ago - it's just amazing. And he gets SO damn happy when he scores...exactly the same expression still as when he scored his first goal for Liverpool. Brilliant.

Libero

Loved the reaction of suarez when he got his 3rd, i dont think he could believe he scored another hat trick against them again.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
I think the most worrying thing IMO was the return of the long balls.
For long periods of the match we lacked composure when passing the ball.

allen and hendo didnt offer much . And while everybody is posting that gerrard hasnt got the legs to play box to box, he still manges more shots on target than hendo and allen together, while playing deeper than both of them.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
legalalien said:
Didn't see the game, couldn't drag arse out of bed at 5:00 a.m., but having read the comments it seems that it was a one-man show and the players who were crap against Hull did not show much improvement. As a couple have said above, I'm beginning to think that Sterling isn't going to make it here. Obviously, the manager is willing to give him a chance, but personally I think Ibe is the more talented player. Maybe loan stint at a club where he would play in every game would do wonders for him. I'm sure Palace would be glad to have him back for the rest of the season.

What was Allen like, then? An improvement on Lucas? Or did he just have an easy time of it given the opposition?
That's not exactly true. The whole team played very well and kept Norwich under the cosh, especially during the second half, when you could expect a reaction from them, but they were nullified by an excellent midfield, a generally solid defence (bar that stupid goal), and all players worked very hard until the end.

In that sense, there was a massive reaction from the whole team when compared to the Hull game. The other thing however is that bar Gerrard and Coutinho on one or two occasions, and that Sterling goal, you couldn't see where goals would come from otherwise. In that sense, it's Luis 5 Norwich 1 (he made a perfect assist for that goal).

One noticeable exception, and I'd have really liked it to go in: Allen's shot towards the end of the match, a genuine piledriver from 25 yards which needed a wonderful save from Ruddy to tip it over the bar.

Talking about Allen: I think he had an excellent game after a very shaky beginning (for instance losing the ball in midfield which led to a potentially dangerous shot from Norwich). He progressively upped his game and helped the game to remain fluid throughout till the end. We didn't miss Lucas in the least, and that in itself is a huge positive to take from that game.

So you see, it's not only about Luis' five-stars performance... :)

trygve76

TIA New Signing
Suarez aside (what a player), I'm now dreading that he'll be off in January. He's carrying the team all by himself. The other ten are a very, very average bunch.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
mattyhurst said:
Did we lose...

You couldn't guess from some of the responses, I understand the annoyance with the goal conceded as again it was pretty poor, but I don't recognise much of what else is said.

We need to be more clinical but that will do tonight, 5-1 regardless of the performance will benefit the mindset of the team, especially after such a dire performance on sunday.
Many people don't understand that the performance was built around Suarez and giving him the freedom to do what he wants at the expense of others. Movement. Teamwork.

It's the bigger picture, but hey, folks just like to moan even after a fantastic result.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Really happy with the team mentality now. We were probably only bad against Hull because of fucking international games, but when the team has had some more time together, they really listen to the bollocking Brendan hopefully gave them, and lifted so much.

Good to see.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
trygve76 said:
Suarez aside (what a player), I'm now dreading that he'll be off in January. He's carrying the team all by himself. The other ten are a very, very average bunch.
I am not sure what you define as average. What ever it is, average does not mean anything positive, if I assumed correctly. It is unfair to them. Are we really saying that playings like Gerrard, Mignolet, Skrtel and Agger and Coutinho etc are average? Rather it is Suarez who was extraordinary. The rest was good, just nowhere near the world class standards of Suarez yet.

Kinny Riddle

TIA New Signing
Now that's better. I've purposely stayed away from the forums until after this game as some of the post-Hull match comments (especially right after the game had ended) was quite close to predicting Armageddon and how we're going into free fall.

Now there's still a lot of work to be done, as the performance in the Hull game was quite atrocious and still needs addressing. It is only because of Suarez's genius that has carried us this far.

It would be of course foolish to once again assume we're gonna to win the league because of this game, but seriously, sometimes the mood pendulum of you guys can swing too roughly, from extreme optimism to ridiculous pessimism.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I stuck a bet on Suarez to score a hatrick last night. Wish I'd stuck more than a fiver on it now!

What a performance from Luis. Shame we conceded!

Arminius

FSG PR plant
rupzzz said:
I stuck a bet on Suarez to score a hatrick last night. Wish I'd stuck more than a fiver on it now!

What a performance from Luis. Shame we conceded!
What sort of odds can you get on that?!? Bet 5 to win 3?

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
shachart said:
allen and hendo didnt offer much . And while everybody is posting that gerrard hasnt got the legs to play box to box, he still manges more shots on target than hendo and allen together, while playing deeper than both of them.
Totally disagree about Allen - he was tidy, played well and deserves a start against West Ham. That deeper position seems to be the one which he's most suited to. He looks out of his depth further forward.

Henderson - well, I'm bored with his application and endurance, we need creativity badly from our midfielders in that position and he doesn't offer any.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
I genuinely think that if Suarez had played for Norwich the score would have been 5-1 to Norwich :( Our team bar him are average. Without Suarez yesterday I doubt very much we'd have won, and the same can be said for alot of games this year where either Sturridge or Suarez have gotten us out of big holes. WIth Sturridge injured, when Luis doesn't perform - see Hull for evidence - we are pretty poor. Harsh, but pretty true unfortunately.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
SoueysTash said:
Totally disagree about Allen - he was tidy, played well and deserves a start against West Ham. That deeper position seems to be the one which he's most suited to. He looks out of his depth further forward.
Allen did nothing wrong, i will give him that. but he didn't do anything creative neither. he didn't have much to do on defense, gerrard actually played deeper than him, and was the "responsible" one. Allen kept the ball moving usually by passing it sideways or back. didn't see any passes forward, running with the ball, or making runs to shot at goal.

he was far more willing to let gerrard and coutinho take the responsibility in midfield.

koptician

We'll go again!
SirBillShankly said:
Thought the midfield worked well, Allen had a good game, maybe he should play more often in place of Lucas? Bloody marvellous is our Genius, we need to add top class players so he can fulfil his ambitions with us. Great that Sterling scored, let's hope he can keep it up, absolutely chuffed. Well done lads. Fantastic reaction. Happy, happy, happy.
Really? I thought Allen lost the ball a few times in dangerous areas and especially in the first half seemed very hesitant in possession. Better teams will muller you for that. Dagger really is an aerial liability.

Stevie G was marvelous!

I have no adjectives left to describe Luis' performance.

Happy for Sterling to get his goal, hopefully this kickstarts him getting more!