Post-Match: Liverpool 5-1 Norwich

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Quagmire81 said:
Cause he add so much else the whole team benefit from. It would be unfair to ingnore all the good things he brings just cause he's not scoring every game, and mainly cause the others never score.

He's still just 21, and just came back from an injury, can't lay it all on his shoulder this soon.
Besides he's more of a creater than executioner, and does his job very well, unlike some others in our midfield. Those are the ones we can lay blame on.
With that reasoning, who should be expected to score? All our players do many good things, does that excuse them all from never scoring? Coutinho hasn't scored from open play this season, and even given he missed a few games, look at Oscar's return from a similar position. Coutinho needs to score regularly, so do the midfielders that play infront of the deepest midfielders, who-ever they may be. This is a massive weakness in our current team.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
lovepool said:
Nobody mentioned Lucas scoring goals except you. What he should be doing is have a higher starting position. He seems to think all he has to do is stay deep in midfield and pass it sideways. Against most teams we should use a midfield similar to what McMahon and Whelan were in the past. Either could attack and defend when required and worked off each other
I hate reading your posts.................you have no idea about how Rodgers sets up his team. I've said it before and you obviously ignored it, but go away and learn what Rodgers expects from his Controller. Until you do you will have unreasonable expectations of our deepest midfielder. And look at Lucas's pass map while you are at it, a very low percentage of his passes are sideways. Lucas passes vertically more than any other player in our team.

lovepool

Zagueiro then do not read my posts. I ignore the majority of yours because when you lose an argument you come out with the same line over and over " well him Rodgers selects him then he must be good". That is all you resort to when you cannot back up your opinions

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Tbf, BR did try to sign Mkhitaryan last summer to provide a goal threat from midfield, but the player didn't want to know. He knows that we can't keep on relying on Suarez and Sturridge to get nearly all of our goals, but obviously not being in Europe is a huge handicap to him. This is just one of the several things that need fixing in the existing squad.

Doggie

Resident Optimist
zagueiro said:
I genuinely think that if Suarez had played for Norwich the score would have been 5-1 to Norwich :( Our team bar him are average. Without Suarez yesterday I doubt very much we'd have won, and the same can be said for alot of games this year where either Sturridge or Suarez have gotten us out of big holes. WIth Sturridge injured, when Luis doesn't perform - see Hull for evidence - we are pretty poor. Harsh, but pretty true unfortunately.
So let's get this straight, you're worried that our strikers are scoring? lol

Your view of who is performing seems to be based on the last two games - maybe you should check out the MOTM threads for the whole season.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
lovepool said:
Nobody mentioned Lucas scoring goals except you. What he should be doing is have a higher starting position. He seems to think all he has to do is stay deep in midfield and pass it sideways. Against most teams we should use a midfield similar to what McMahon and Whelan were in the past. Either could attack and defend when required and worked off each other
I see you've been reading that trusty old book of yours " How to win friends and influence people".

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Quagmire81 said:
True, but our first three 1-0 wins was as fragile as eggshells. could easy have been draws as I recall.

Mignolets saved a pen in our opener, had another spetacular save to deny Benteke against Villa. And United win was close too.

Had we draw those games our season would have been totally different.
If we hadn't hit the woodwork 8 times a match under Kenny, he might still be here. But we didn't, he isn't and it's all in the past now. Doesn't matter how you win, as long as you win.
zagueiro said:
I hate reading your posts.................you have no idea about how Rodgers sets up his team. I've said it before and you obviously ignored it, but go away and learn what Rodgers expects from his Controller. Until you do you will have unreasonable expectations of our deepest midfielder. And look at Lucas's pass map while you are at it, a very low percentage of his passes are sideways. Lucas passes vertically more than any other player in our team.
I know you like him but you can't honestly be suggesting that his passes are heavenly?
SirBillShankly said:
Or if Suarez isn't getting the support he needs,( we just have to look at the Hull or Arsenal games). We need to spread the goals around the team, like we used to.
Arsenal maybe but he was as bad as everybody else against Hull

lovepool

SirBillShankly said:
I see you've been reading that trusty old book of yours " How to win friends and influence people".
Yeah nearly finished it mate. Next I am going to borrow "Lucas in Wonderland" from Zagueiro.

zagueiro

TIA Squad Member
Doggie said:
So let's get this straight, you're worried that our strikers are scoring? lol

Your view of who is performing seems to be based on the last two games - maybe you should check out the MOTM threads for the whole season.
Did you actually read what I wrote? Obviously not. I said if our strikers lose form we are in deep doo doo. We've managed a combined 2 goals from open play in 14 games if you take out the goals of Suarez and Sturridge. Imagine if Luis was ill/got injured for December.

The last 2 games are irrelavent. Our inability for anyone to score bar S&S has been apparant all season
lovepool said:
Yeah nearly finished it mate. Next I am going to borrow "Lucas in Wonderland" from Zagueiro.
The words are too long for you..........

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
zagueiro said:
With that reasoning, who should be expected to score? All our players do many good things, does that excuse them all from never scoring? Coutinho hasn't scored from open play this season, and even given he missed a few games, look at Oscar's return from a similar position. Coutinho needs to score regularly, so do the midfielders that play infront of the deepest midfielders, who-ever they may be. This is a massive weakness in our current team.
:D I'm not surprised you feel that way.

But you are right about the need for more goals from our midfield.

I would add the deepest midfielder too. But I would also like it if these three shared the responability between them, both being the deepest and the ones that move forward, then I think we would be much more dynamic than we are now. Obvious for it to work there's a much important thing that can't be ignored, the quality of the players that have to work it out. NOt sure about the quality of the ones we have now to be honest.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
ptt said:
If we hadn't hit the woodwork 8 times a match under Kenny, he might still be here. But we didn't, he isn't and it's all in the past now. Doesn't matter how you win, as long as you win.
I agree completly with this.

I just liked to stress how lucky we actually were, cause it was kinda made out we were having perfect games with them wins.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Quagmire81 said:
I agree completly with this.

I just liked to stress how lucky we actually were, cause it was kinda made out we were having perfect games with them wins.
Oh, I agree we weren't exactly Barca's English cousins but wins are wins. When United won title after title, they did it with that little bit of luck that gave the scruffy goal when they were playing badly or the ref adding 8 minutes of injury time. Football's not an exact science and is prone to a huge number of utterly uncontrollable factors. When they're going your way, that's when you can win things and do well. Unless you turn up expecting to thrash Hull.........

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
ptt said:
Oh, I agree we weren't exactly Barca's English cousins but wins are wins. When United won title after title, they did it with that little bit of luck that gave the scruffy goal when they were playing badly or the ref adding 8 minutes of injury time. Football's not an exact science and is prone to a huge number of utterly uncontrollable factors. When they're going your way, that's when you can win things and do well. Unless you turn up expecting to thrash Hull.........
I think that's where all that title contender stuff came from, cause we won "ugly" or lucky depend on how you look at it... Them three games were great entertaining games mind you, I loved it, mainly cause we did end up winning.

Mignolets punching the bar before he saved the pen, is still a highlight of the season for me.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
rab said:
I don't follow.
I stand correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was you that after the 2-2 draw with newcastle, said that we should quit that 3-5-2 nonsense, and picked plenty of flaws in it in a couple threads. Though we just had two 3-1 wins prior using it. I only remember that cause I totally disagreed with that sentiment.

So I just found it weird you feelt the need to give me a lecture about finding flaws in games, when you had done it yourself.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Unreal performance from Suarez. He will just destroy the weaker teams when he's on form. Going to West Ham game so just hoping he has another tin his locker similar to this one!!

Sometimes makes the Hull defeat harder to take but theres going to be slip ups along the way if we can bounce back like this it all the time it wont be so hard to take. But we need to go on a run of wins. Three in a row seems to have a massive impact this season. Other years three in a row was standard issue for a top 4 team but this year it seems to be even more advantageous.

Best performance by a Liverpool player in my era 90 - Present. The goals were all special.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
SoueysTash said:
That is an insane statement in my opinion, bold - very bold.
1990 on - which player, what game would you put ahead? Gerrard has had some epic games against bigger/better oppositions, but they were more a couple of moments of brilliance than the sort of one-handed dismantling of the opponent.

Maybe Torres taking Vidic's lunch money at OT?

Interesting thing to think about.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Arminius said:
1990 on - which player, what game would you put ahead? Gerrard has had some epic games against bigger/better oppositions, but they were more a couple of moments of brilliance than the sort of one-handed dismantling of the opponent.

Maybe Torres taking Vidic's lunch money at OT?

Interesting thing to think about.

I find it difficult to put the gravitas of the game involved and the opposition out of my mind when comparing between choices. Gerrards games in the FA Cup & Champions League are almost automatic choices...too much heart not enough head when it comes to remembering moments like those.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
SoueysTash said:
I find it difficult to put the gravitas of the game involved and the opposition out of my mind when comparing the two. Gerrards games in the FA Cup & Champions League are almost automatic choices...too much heart not enough head when it comes to remembering moments like those.
Agreed. Gerrard's FA Cup game was epic precisely because his finest moments were in such desperation. As an individual performance, I think his game against West Ham was better than Istanbul, because that game was in the end such a team effort - for which Gerrard receives due credit as the one who got it going in the second half.

But in terms of a single individual just utterly dominating the opposition, Suarez versus Norwich was more total - there was absolutely no sense of desperation or indeed gravitas.

lovepool

Fowler scoring 5 on his home debut as an 18 year old against Fulham in the league cup is up there
Fowler scoring 5 on his home debut as an 18 year old against Fulham in the league cup is up there

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
redbj said:
Lucas vs chelsea?
You can't single out one game for this fella. He's just too good, judging by the amount of times he got voted in Man of the Match poll. Almost every game e played he got at least two votes.

rab

Quagmire81 said:
I stand correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was you that after the 2-2 draw with newcastle, said that we should quit that 3-5-2 nonsense, and picked plenty of flaws in it in a couple threads. Though we just had two 3-1 wins prior using it. I only remember that cause I totally disagreed with that sentiment.

So I just found it weird you feelt the need to give me a lecture about finding flaws in games, when you had done it yourself.
It wasn't a lecture about flaws in our game. Saying things like "if it wasn't for the penalty save, or this chance or that then we wouldn't have won" is pointless. Those things didn't happen and we won those games. It's the same as when people say "if we hadn't hit the woodwork or if the keeper hadn't made that save we'd have won". It's pointing out hypothetical situations that didn't and won't occur.

It's fine to criticise performances but to say if Benteke had scored we would have drawn that game is clearly wrong as you have we have no idea how the game would have panned out from that point and we never will. What we do know is that without performing that well we did secure those three wins and all nine points with it.

Hypothetically changing the past to emphasise a point is very different from critiquing a performance or a formation or an individual.