• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1

Walter Sobchak

DeathOrGlory said:
Anyone else like seeing a player like Ozil come over to the Premier League and struggle?

The media wanks with such vigor over the Spanish duopoly, but suddenly one of their top players come over to a real league where most sides properly fight for the points, and they're shaken by the physicality.

They probably don't expect such fighting spirit.

Just hope that they players we'll inevitably buy this summer, who'll be of a high class, won't have such culture shock issues.
Yes and no. Ozil seems to be struggling at the moment. However, if this is due to La Liga players not able to cope with the physicality of the EPL teams, then we should expect to see Barca, Real and Atletico getting twatted by the top teams of the EPL. That's not happening.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
What did I say? Counter attacking is the way to go. Apart from the two set piece goals, the rest were all quick counter attacking move. Henderson robbed Ozil, thread the ball quickly from our midfield half to Suarez, who then took the ball from the wing and put through a low cross for Sterling and Sturridge. Sterling caught it. Then Coutinho, again intercept the ball and brought it up quickly through midfield, and made a very long through pass to rampant running Sturridge, goal. Our final nail to the coffin, Toure got the ball to the left, a long ball over the top to Sterling, converting from defence to attack swiftly. Sterling just took the ball towards Arsenal goal, and made if 5.

I said it again, and again... we are not playing the controlled game. We are not exactly in control, we just pressed for them to make mistake and pounce on them. We didn't do what Barcelona do, tippy-tappy the ball around the pitch. We just took the ball and galloping forward in numbers, messing up their defence.

Poetry In Motion

Omnishambles
'This is the Liverpool of old' comment on Match Of The Day made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Absolutely fantastic!

costared

TIA Reserve Team
lfc.eddie said:
What did I say? Counter attacking is the way to go. Apart from the two set piece goals, the rest were all quick counter attacking move. Henderson robbed Ozil, thread the ball quickly from our midfield half to Suarez, who then took the ball from the wing and put through a low cross for Sterling and Sturridge. Sterling caught it. Then Coutinho, again intercept the ball and brought it up quickly through midfield, and made a very long through pass to rampant running Sturridge, goal. Our final nail to the coffin, Toure got the ball to the left, a long ball over the top to Sterling, converting from defence to attack swiftly. Sterling just took the ball towards Arsenal goal, and made if 5.

I said it again, and again... we are not playing the controlled game. We are not exactly in control, we just pressed for them to make mistake and pounce on them. We didn't do what Barcelona do, tippy-tappy the ball around the pitch. We just took the ball and galloping forward in numbers, messing up their defence.
Quite right Eddie. We still had few examples of short passing but our main attributes were the pressing and the support for the man in possession or challenging for possession.
The good thing is we have become more versatile and our manager deserves great credit for seeing the need for this and for getting the message across to the players.

OOTer

TIA New Signing
Watching this disjointed dross being served up by the teams directly below us really shows what a class outfit we are. Team play and on the same wavelength. Ev & Spurs are trying things but at times it seems like they've not played together before. Wtf was that step over for. And how Mirreles didn't pass. It was 3v2 there.

Loving it. :) come on the draw.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
costared said:
Quite right Eddie. We still had few examples of short passing but our main attributes were the pressing and the support for the man in possession or challenging for possession.
The good thing is we have become more versatile and our manager deserves great credit for seeing the need for this and for getting the message across to the players.
Yeah. What I would like to see is us able to dominate and make something out of the game when we don't have to rely on counter attack too. Games against the likes of West Brom and now Fulham. These are the teams that is going to set out to do what we did against Arsenal. Counter attack.

If we can dominate and win convincingly rather than becoming complacent, we would be much better positioned to make this 4th spot ours.

Claymenza

I don't get it, why does it piss you off that I think moses is a good backup/substitute for sterling? It means we have an option in case sterling gets injured.

sterling's been great, and moses is a winger as well with lots of pace and energy. What I'm suggesting is that in case moses leaves in the summer, we may promote ibe as a backup to sterling instead of bringing in another winger that will relegate sterling.

It's a matter of semantics, substitute does not mean I want raheem replaced.

The Eternal Optimist

TIA Youth Team
Carpe Diem said:
'This is the Liverpool of old' comment on Match Of The Day made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Absolutely fantastic!
I came on here to say exactly what was in this post - it was deja vu all over again!

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Rambler said:
Talking to mates after the game they gave me a nightmare scenario for the end of the season. We finish 4th and United win CL (unlikely I agree) but they would then take our place next season. We need 3rd or higher. I couldn't bear to think of that possibility.
I don't think the mancs will do it, but you can worry about Arsenal (will be tough against Bayern though...), about Man city and mostly, about Chelsea. Numerical chances at this time is an English win at 25%. In reality though, I think it's around 33%.

Which means that fourth place is far from a guarantee for CL football, not even talking about a potentially tough fixture against a top team of La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A before the group stages...

Anyway, let's do what BR says: try to go as far up as possible, even if it's still unlikely in my book that we will get CL promotion. But third is definitely better than fourth, which is just an outside chance of making it.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Hope in your heart said:
I don't think the mancs will do it, but you can worry about Arsenal (will be tough against Bayern though...), about Man city and mostly, about Chelsea. Numerical chances at this time is an English win at 25%. In reality though, I think it's around 33%.

Which means that fourth place is far from a guarantee for CL football, not even talking about a potentially tough fixture against a top team of La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A before the group stages...

Anyway, let's do what BR says: try to go as far up as possible, even if it's still unlikely in my book that we will get CL promotion. But third is definitely better than fourth, which is just an outside chance of making it.
But if Chelsea, City or Arsenal win the CL, it is very unlikely to be relevant whether or not 4th place is a qualifying spot. It is really only the Mancs who are likely to be on the outside looking in on 4th.

Hoping to see Olympiakos do the business....

Third would be brilliant, missing that dangerous playoff would be even better than winning the Wenger trophy.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Arminius said:
But if Chelsea, City or Arsenal win the CL, it is very unlikely to be relevant whether or not 4th place is a qualifying spot. It is really only the Mancs who are likely to be on the outside looking in on 4th.

Hoping to see Olympiakos do the business....

Third would be brilliant, missing that dangerous playoff would be even better than winning the Wenger trophy.
Ah yes you're right, of course.

Urban Achiever

costared said:
"Once again: The defence yesterday held Arsenal away from having as much as a single chance from open play! With 4 forwards/attacking players on the field! Impressive..... especially when you see that the players were Flanno, Skrtel, Kolo and Cissokho. Incredible! Hats of to Rodgers for achieving that with 4 players who many would consider midtable "

Urban Achiever

I think you underestimate the difference Gerrard playing deep has made to our defence.
I underestimate no one who played for us yesterday. They all did brilliantly.... and I do agree that Lucas would not have been able to do the job Gerrard did.

Still, earlier in this season all the other teams had to do was cross it into the box and it was a chance..... or pass it around the edge and we'd crack until Mignolet would have to save us. Lately we've given none of those away. Against WBA it was an individual error and yesterday the only big defensive mistake came from Gerrards tackle :)

My point wasn't, though, that the defence did it on their own, but that Brendan Rodgers has a defence consisting of Flanno, Skrtel, Kolo and Cissokho keeping Arsenal away from any chances and avoiding almost all crosses and dealing perfectly with the few that comes... perfectly. That's not to be overlooked. That's really a tremendous effort by Rodgers.... even if he had Yaya or someone of that calibre playing DM. None of the 4 are worldbeaters and yet under Rodgers they keep friggin' Arsenal away from any clear chances.... that's a good job no matter how well Gerrard (and everyone else) played.

Highly impressive and one can only imagine how far he can take this if he can do the same to even better players (Which Suarez and Sturridge actually could be examples of?)

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
It was nice to see the team wearing black arm bands for Tony Hateley. :thumbright:

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Have to agree, Rodgers has done a great job,long may it continue.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Carpe Diem said:
Yeah, but the the Liverpool of old would do that week in and week out, regardless of who they were playing - so as good as the performance was, we need quite a few more before that comparison makes sense.

anglian_red

To be fair we have put 5 past Arsenal, 4 past Everton, 5 past Norwich, 4 past West Brom, 3 past Crystal Palace, 4 past Fulham and 4 past West Ham at home this season.

We've also gone away from home and put 5 past Spurs, 3 past Sunderland & 5 past Stoke.

It's about as close to 'the old days' as it's been for a while!

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Mascot88 said:
Yeah, but the the Liverpool of old would do that week in and week out, regardless of who they were playing - so as good as the performance was, we need quite a few more before that comparison makes sense.
Totally agree. We have had some great home performances this season but our away form has been poor for the most part. We are getting better but there is much more to be done before comparisons with the sides of old can be made. Not taking anything away from yesterdays game by saying that though.

anglian_red

Stat of the day: Luis Suarez has only scored 3 of our last 25 goals.

One man team?

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Urban Achiever said:
Still can't believe what the boys did yesterday! Absolutely fantastic performance.
On a general note one must really appreciate Brendan Rodgers contrtibution to the development of his players. I mean look at the team yesterday from a development POV.

Mignolet - Good keeper already... now arguably a class-keeper.
Flannagan - TBF a nobody from the academy who was alright but no worldbeater talent... now seen as a major talent on the big scene.
Skrtel - Already good under Kenny
Kolo - Free.... not getting many games... has come in and been one of the basics of Rodgers team in the top of the league.
Cissokho - Loanclub didn't want him. Started out as a joke.... now suddenly after a couple of games he is (as a 3rd choice) seriously pressuring Glen Johnsons spot in the squad and might get a deal.
Henderson - everyone wanted rid after he didn't cut it under Kenny... now counted amongst the best young CMs in England.
Gerrard - obviously already worldclass
Cou - well, Inter didn't value him... now under Rodgers he's a serious contender for the WC!
Sterling - 19 years old and certainly already a starter for the national team if he keeps this level.
Sturridge - nobody wanted him and everyone called him selfish and lazy. Rodgers apparently saw something else.
Suarez - already top class in Holland and under Kenny.... BUT TBF.... he only became worldclass after Rodgers came. Funny 'cos noone in the media ever writes about this, but he truly became Genious under Rodgers managament!

With an average age around 23.... the youngest in the league I think!

I don't wanna turn this into the Rodgers thread.... I just think it's rermarkable how many of the players on the pitch in such a historic victory wasn't really that hot stuff before Rodgers arrived or under anyone elses managment. His coaching is clearly at a very high level and even though he's also made mistakes, a day like yesterday shows us just how far he can take this club if he's given support..... and a new contract soon :)

Once again: The defence yesterday held Arsenal away from having as much as a single chance from open play! With 4 forwards/attacking players on the field! Impressive..... especially when you see that the players were Flanno, Skrtel, Kolo and Cissokho. Incredible! Hats of to Rodgers for achieving that with 4 players who many would consider midtable before he came.

EDIT: Regarding Cissokho I write 3rd choice but in reality he would probably have been considered 4th choice with Enrique, Johnson and Flannagan ahead of him with all FBs fit... which just makes our situation even better :)
That depends on what you consider a "chance".

If I remember correctly, Mignolet stopped their first shot on goal at around the 55th minute. In total, he caught a handful of (admittedly speculative) attempts and made that brilliant left-handed save after a set-piece.

Arsenal ended the game with 6 shots on-goal from open play.

anglian_red

Hits from 25-30 yards aren't chances are they? They're attempts. The free kick given away by Flanagan which Mignolet saved is a decent chance for instance, but aside from that and the stupid penalty they didn't look dangerous.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
anglian_red said:
Stat of the day: Luis Suarez has only scored 3 of our last 25 goals.

One man team?
If we take him out of the team, we may not even have that number of goals. Ever wondered how many did he assisted and got himself involved? We are a one man team, without him we are a shadow of what we are today.

I was just wondering when will a thread going to be created about life without Suarez and how much do we not need him with Sturridge scoring freely.

Urban Achiever

Poor Scouser Tommy said:
That depends on what you consider a "chance".

If I remember correctly, Mignolet stopped their first shot on goal at around the 55th minute. In total, he caught a handful of (admittedly speculative) attempts and made that brilliant left-handed save after a set-piece.

Arsenal ended the game with 6 shots on-goal from open play.
I meant chances created from passing your way to a shot on goal or a cross leading to a reasonably dangerous finish. Not counting set pieces....

I don't remember Arsenal having 6 shots on goal...? Not even counting their set pieces :)
Anyway, anyone would agree we kept them away from being dangerous on everything but set pieces.

anglian_red

lfc.eddie said:
If we take him out of the team, we may not even have that number of goals. Ever wondered how many did he assisted and got himself involved? We are a one man team, without him we are a shadow of what we are today.

I was just wondering when will a thread going to be created about life without Suarez and how much do we not need him with Sturridge scoring freely.
Any team would miss a player as good as Suarez. City haven't scored in their last two games with Aguero missing, even a big bank account doesn't stop them losing half of their threat without him.

We have won 13 of 20 games Suarez has been banned for. We started the season very well without Suarez playing. When he leaves in the summer we'll get someone else. Chill.

I was making the positive point that other players are scoring goals. Brendan will probably be happier with that than Suarez being our only threat.

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Claymenza said:
I don't get it, why does it piss you off that I think moses is a good backup/substitute for sterling? It means we have an option in case sterling gets injured.

sterling's been great, and moses is a winger as well with lots of pace and energy. What I'm suggesting is that in case moses leaves in the summer, we may promote ibe as a backup to sterling instead of bringing in another winger that will relegate sterling.

It's a matter of semantics, substitute does not mean I want raheem replaced.
It didn't piss me off. I just don't consider Moses to be a "capable substitute" for Sterling.

For a winger, pace and energy are typically vital attributes. On that we agree. However, there is another prerequisite for a footballer: endeavour. Sterling applies his pace, energy (and considerable skill) constantly. Moses... just doesn't.

I'm in two minds about Ibe being promoted to the position of Sterling's replacement. He's a fantastic prospect, but he's only going to be 19 years old next season- with hardly any first team experience. We simply cannot continue to expect teenagers to shoulder the enormous responsibility of competing against the likes of Chelsea and Man City.

Nice to see him getting some time on the pitch though.

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Urban Achiever said:
I meant chances created from passing your way to a shot on goal or a cross leading to a reasonably dangerous finish. Not counting set pieces....

I don't remember Arsenal having 6 shots on goal...? Not even counting their set pieces :)
Anyway, anyone would agree we kept them away from being dangerous on everything but set pieces.
It may well be that the reason I remember their shots at our goal, is they were so ineffectual.

At some stage I remember thinking something like "they're going to have to hit them harder than that if they intend scoring". :D

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
anglian_red said:
Hits from 25-30 yards aren't chances are they? They're attempts. The free kick given away by Flanagan which Mignolet saved is a decent chance for instance, but aside from that and the stupid penalty they didn't look dangerous.
Yohan Cabaye begs to differ.

If it's on-goal and forces a save from our 'keeper, it's probably safe to call it a "chance".

I'm not debating whether they looked like scoring. I'm stating that they had 6 shots on our goal from open play.

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
anglian_red said:
Any team would miss a player as good as Suarez. City haven't scored in their last two games with Aguero missing, even a big bank account doesn't stop them losing half of their threat without him.

We have won 13 of 20 games Suarez has been banned for. We started the season very well without Suarez playing. When he leaves in the summer we'll get someone else. Chill.

I was making the positive point that other players are scoring goals. Brendan will probably be happier with that than Suarez being our only threat.
Do you even realise how contradictory these two paragraphs are?

Claymenza

Anyone who thinks we are a one man team is disrespecting our other quality players who put in a good shift. Sturridge is more than a capable spearhead in case suarez is out, and his goals in the beginning of the season are proof of this.

We are not a one man team.

Scouser tommy, I was hoping that ibe would compete with sterling's position on the wing which means ibe will take moses' place. I'm just wondering here why some folks are not convinced by certain players who are playing really well. Instead we pressure the club on buying continental.

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
ptt said:
Great find, top reading! A mark of how good we are this season, I'm spending more and more time on other team's forums :)
fair play. when you win 5-1 you have every right to mock us. but next week cup match we be closer battle between our two great teams. can,t wait