• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
16,542
redandwhite3 said:
fair play. when you win 5-1 you have every right to mock us. but next week cup match we be closer battle between our two great teams. can,t wait
It's going to be an utterly captivating match. Rewind 48 hours and open a poll on here: 5-1 smashing of Arsenal and losing in the cup or vice versa. I'd have been fascinated to see the outcome. Fortunately, it's not an either / or situation and my god we've the phsychological advantage going into the weekend. Add to this you've United mid week (3 points with your under 12s C team) and a rather important game after us and we seem to be holding all the aces. Apart from you being at home, we seem to have all the advantages. A draw mid week for you and losing to us would put a massive dent in your season.

IMHO it's going to be between you and us for 3rd/4th and I can only see your wheels coming off if you go out of the cup.

Just for God's sake don't surrender 4th to United!
 

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
999
Claymenza said:
Anyone who thinks we are a one man team is disrespecting our other quality players who put in a good shift. Sturridge is more than a capable spearhead in case suarez is out, and his goals in the beginning of the season are proof of this.

We are not a one man team.

Scouser tommy, I was hoping that ibe would compete with sterling's position on the wing which means ibe will take moses' place. I'm just wondering here why some folks are not convinced by certain players who are playing really well. Instead we pressure the club on buying continental.
On that first point, I absolutely agree with you. I realise that it's not necessarily part of our conversation, but I wanted to toss in my 2 pence.

Right, back to business: Ibe has all of the properties to compete with Sterling; once all of his talents have been developed. In my opinion, we should probably keep looking for another winger- a more experienced player. And, for the next two or three seasons, let that player be Sterling's competition.

In the meantime, let Ibe develop by subbing him on when we seem to have won a game. Then, give him a few starts in cup games against weaker opponents. If we follow the process of gradually increasing the amount of responsibility that he has, in four years we could have the most feared wide-forwards in Europe.

I too want to see Ibe tearing defences apart, but I want our brilliant young prospects to be nurtured until they're physically and mentally equipped to deal with playing in the EPL and CL.
 

Claymenza

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2013
Messages
1,844
I'm fully in support of giving ibe subbing time at the 60 minute mark. The key here though is that sterling improved his fitness to last the full 90 minutes. This will be tricky in the long run.

The conversation will change though, if we qualify for the champions league. Sterling does not have continental experience and neither does rodgers, but they will have to learn it quick. That's when the seasoned pros like gerrard, suarez and toure come into play.

We'll need gerrard for the champions league next season.
 

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
5,935
anglian_red said:
Any team would miss a player as good as Suarez. City haven't scored in their last two games with Aguero missing, even a big bank account doesn't stop them losing half of their threat without him.

We have won 13 of 20 games Suarez has been banned for. We started the season very well without Suarez playing. When he leaves in the summer we'll get someone else. Chill.

I was making the positive point that other players are scoring goals. Brendan will probably be happier with that than Suarez being our only threat.
See, when you say things like "when he leaves" as if it's a fact he's leaving that's when you really piss people off. It's your opinion, not fact and after the amount of times you've said it I can only take it that you're now doing if to be a WUM. Trying to put a downer on one of our best performances in a long time is downright WUMery so at least manage to put in "IMO"(don't bother with the h as there's no need to exaggerate ) if you're going to state stuff like this.

On the game, blistering speed from us in the first 30 minutes then able to take it down a gear. He whole team played well but I was especially happy with Sterling. A few lessons in finishing from Suarez (that turn and volley and that free-kick, just wow) and RS could be a real star for us. Love the friendship he seems to share with Suarez, almost makes me think LS sees him like a young protege he wants to protect.

Watching Utd draw with Fulham cheered me up too, just a shame the Blues couldn't hold out for a draw as well. Happy today and just have my fingers crossed for Wedneday :)
 

CARRADONA

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
159
Hi, Just wanted to let the dust settle before commenting on yesterdays result.
to be honest i am still a bit speechless because we were that fcuking good.
Flano, Sterling and Coutinho have looked better and better over last few home games.
I am loving the controlled agression from all 3..BR knows how to bring youth into the 1st team game alright. Ibe is at the right club for the future.

Regarding Fulham on wednesday.. they will be tough to brake if we give them a goal to hang on like the scum did today.
but we should have learned our mistakes from WBA.
that is all
YNWA
 

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
826
ptt said:
It's going to be an utterly captivating match. Rewind 48 hours and open a poll on here: 5-1 smashing of Arsenal and losing in the cup or vice versa. I'd have been fascinated to see the outcome. Fortunately, it's not an either / or situation and my god we've the phsychological advantage going into the weekend. Add to this you've United mid week (3 points with your under 12s C team) and a rather important game after us and we seem to be holding all the aces. Apart from you being at home, we seem to have all the advantages. A draw mid week for you and losing to us would put a massive dent in your season.

IMHO it's going to be between you and us for 3rd/4th and I can only see your wheels coming off if you go out of the cup.

Just for God's sake don't surrender 4th to United!
with due respect the same people said this when we lost at united and then we won three in row. same people said it fall of after w lost 6-3 at city and then we won 8 from 10 in all competistions. so i hold your horses on that

cup match is one off whatever happens midweek. anything can happen and either team can win. i think we batter united, draw with you and do bayern and then beat sunderland and stoke and swansea before tough replay at your place and tough run of march games
 

anglian_red

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
2,181
basil1492 said:
See, when you say things like "when he leaves" as if it's a fact he's leaving that's when you really piss people off. It's your opinion, not fact and after the amount of times you've said it I can only take it that you're now doing if to be a WUM. Trying to put a downer on one of our best performances in a long time is downright WUMery so at least manage to put in "IMO"(don't bother with the h as there's no need to exaggerate ) if you're going to state stuff like this.
Put a downer on it? I'm starting to think we could win this fucking thing and I haven't said that since early 2009 - I'm sure none of you have either.

I've been convinced Suarez is off in the summer but I'm actually starting to think he won't be. I always said it hinges on whether Real Madrid come for him. If they come in with Bale-esque money then he's out. John Henry will see to that personally but I'm not sure Real Madrid want Suarez as much as he thinks they do.

They want him. Everybody would. I'm just not sure they're willing to refinance Spains national debt again in order to get him.
 

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Joined
Oct 11, 2007
Messages
16,542
redandwhite3 said:
with due respect the same people said this when we lost at united and then we won three in row. same people said it fall of after w lost 6-3 at city and then we won 8 from 10 in all competistions. so i hold your horses on that

cup match is one off whatever happens midweek. anything can happen and either team can win. i think we batter united, draw with you and do bayern and then beat sunderland and stoke and swansea before tough replay at your place and tough run of march games
Would you take that now?
 

redandwhite3

Arsenal Fan Here in Peace
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
826
ptt said:
Would you take that now?
yep though love to win next two home games and hold bayern . but i take beating bayern and united and if needed beating you at anfield in a replay

this is a huge week in our season. could either be making of a speical season or where thing going awol. game on wedesday is must win. got to beat united and if do so fancy us to go on run of big game home wins. to be honest these results be ideal
beat van nobody lot
win cup match vs you either at emirates or in a replay.
beat bayern by goal. draw in munich to go through
beat sunderland, swansea and stoke
draw at chelsea and everton
beat spurs and chelsea

perfect ( that my ideal hope)
 

spizfromoz

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2010
Messages
6,348
I'd happily see us chuck out the FA cup competition for a top 4 finish. We have too much to lose if we get distracted. We may lose Luis, we may not get the cream of the players out there from next year. That's what the club's been working towards. WHen Kenny got us into the cups it gave us some confidence and a taste of Europe again. Job done, but right now, we need to see ourselves as top flight in CL every year. Arsenal can have the 5th round for me.
 

anglian_red

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2014
Messages
2,181
I want 4th and the FA Cup.

Chelsea or City has to go out in this round, we've got a chance. Brendan could do with a trophy on his CV as well. Roy is our only manager since the 1950s not to win a trophy.
 

lovepool

New Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2013
Messages
2,673
redandwhite3 said:
yep though love to win next two home games and hold bayern . but i take beating bayern and united and if needed beating you at anfield in a replay

this is a huge week in our season. could either be making of a speical season or where thing going awol. game on wedesday is must win. got to beat united and if do so fancy us to go on run of big game home wins. to be honest these results be ideal
beat van nobody lot
win cup match vs you either at emirates or in a replay.
beat bayern by goal. draw in munich to go through
beat sunderland, swansea and stoke
draw at chelsea and everton
beat spurs and chelsea

perfect ( that my ideal hope)

Are you sure you want to return to Anfield this season?
 

tiact

New Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2013
Messages
39
so this is what death by football looks like! coutinho plays like a young michael laudrup sometimes. sterling just brilliant. a 19 year old sterling has kept moses, aspas, alberto sitting on the bench for 3 months, so impressive to see how much he wants to wear that shirt.

we thrashed spurs, blues, gunners. how good is it to say we are one of the most dangerous teams in the country.

those 20 minutes were dreamland stuff, but a win at fulham would arguably be more impressive in some ways.

oh, and you gotta love the job david moyes is doing :D
 

TheSweetSilverSong

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2013
Messages
931
Amazing win!!! Just perfect!!

I really do believe that it's a matter of how frequently we are ready to perform like that. It's our second season under Rodgers and we have a paper thin squad and don't have the consistency yet to play like this week in week out, but time works for us, and the more time passes the more we'll play like that as a default.

And when that time comes, I think we'll be unstoppable!

For now, it's going to be about how we manage our results on the days we don't perform like that!

Remaining very positive, and looking onwards to the Fulham game. Nothing for granted, until it is actually achieved.

Ecstatic with the performance and the result! What a game!!!!! :)
 

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Joined
Sep 18, 2006
Messages
53,286
If we think the games against Spurs and Everton were great entertainment to watch, this game is sublime. I can watch it over and over again. Not so much those tippy tappy stuff which Barcelona and Arsenal were built on, but the blistering pace of our attacking men were crazy. I watched the highlights again, and the last time I had such a wide smile on my face is when we tore United apart at Old Trafford.

Such a wonderful attacking football being displayed. The counter attacking display of the team was superb. Everytime the midfield win the ball, the next thing you know is we get a shot off and usually near miss or blocked. We looked as if we are going to score every single time we get into their final third. The swift counter attack caught Arsenal off guard and we just steamrolled over them there after.

I voted for Sterling for his effort, he could have gotten 4 on the day. Coming close to him would be Coutinho. The Brazilian is damn erratic. If he is on song, he can hurt any team and any defence in the world, but when he is having an off game he is as good as not being on the pitch. Such is the contrast of the Brazilian play maker.

I hope the Anfield factor is back, and making sure everyone or anyone visit the ground will have to work extra hard to get one point from the game.
 

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
24,404
I was really interested this morning to read what the Arsenal wank mag otherwise known as the London Metro would make of the game.

No match report. Short piece on Sterling's form, and tiny column from one of the players demanding a response. But no write up.

Full page on Chelsea beating Newcastle. Two pages in Moyes.

They're clearly hurting, bless.
 

koptician

We'll go again!
Joined
Jul 11, 2013
Messages
2,962
Joe90 said:
I think that those fans who cried we didnt sign anyone, or that the team has inferior players, need to take another look. Now im not saying we dont need players, nor that we arent making mistakes, but this team is very very very good. And that needs to be acknowledged.
I think that is precisely the reason the team should have been backed strongly by higher management and owners. This team deserves to be supported because it can be something special. The thing that's still not quite there is consistency, a few genuine first teamers and rotating players out so that we can maintain our selective pressing from game to game would transform our fortunes.
 

koptician

We'll go again!
Joined
Jul 11, 2013
Messages
2,962
TheSweetSilverSong said:
Amazing win!!! Just perfect!!

I really do believe that it's a matter of how frequently we are ready to perform like that. It's our second season under Rodgers and we have a paper thin squad and don't have the consistency yet to play like this week in week out, but time works for us, and the more time passes the more we'll play like that as a default.

And when that time comes, I think we'll be unstoppable!

For now, it's going to be about how we manage our results on the days we don't perform like that!

Remaining very positive, and looking onwards to the Fulham game. Nothing for granted, until it is actually achieved.

Ecstatic with the performance and the result! What a game!!!!! :)
I hope Luis is hurting about not getting on the scoresheet two games in a row and takes our his frustrations on the Fulham goal!

anglian_red said:
I want 4th and the FA Cup.

Chelsea or City has to go out in this round, we've got a chance. Brendan could do with a trophy on his CV as well. Roy is our only manager since the 1950s not to win a trophy.
Are we surprised by that? And don't worry, Brendan won't be the next.
 

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
5,935
deadpool said:
Shame about that guy up top (Giroud?). The rest of them knew they had to be inside a triangle :) Seriously though it looks good with Cou in the centre of all that, much prefer him controlling the game from there than on the wing and going by that image he had 7 options though as stated Giroud is in the way of 1 of them..
 

zooz

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
375
That was for that duckface Arshavin's four goals!!

Nothing more to add to what have been said here. Glorious win and a real statement of intent to our rivals.

Hope we build on that to improve our away form especially against non top-7 teams. Walk on!
 

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Joined
Feb 23, 2007
Messages
5,477
Late to the party, but I'm still quite speechless. That's how good it was. The first 25-30 minutes was just mayhem, Arsenal didn't get as much as a sniff.

This is my Forest. The game I'll be talking about twenty years from now. Doing that to the league leaders at such an early stage of our development is simply unheard of. Unreal. And as with all dominant wins - Forest, Real Madrid at Anfield, 5-0 at White Hart Lane, 4-1 at Old Trafford - it's going to become even better than it actually was as the years go by.