• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post Match: Liverpool 5 Arsenal 1

alphakilo

TIA Regular
Just out of curiosity. Who got the armband after Suarez came off? Because could swear it was Toure

grooveshark

Banned Users
Claymenza said:
Let's be frank mate, when did we last have three or four injured at the same time in midfield? Allen is more than a suitable backup for Henderson, and lucas' injury hasn't hurt us. Moses is a capable substitute for sterling and Rodgers wants to give ibe a chance before we splash out on an overpriced winger.

Coutinho showed he can play the pressing game well enough to accommodate suarez on the wing who is just as deadly.

I'm happy with our player's attitude at the moment. Let's not ruin them with more signings. Flanagan does not deserve to lose his place to luke shaw or any pricey full back the transfer forum is begging for.
Moses a capable substitute for Sterling?

2) Rodgers wanted Willian, Lamela, Salah and Konoplyanka.

3) people need to stop getting carried away, the team puts otherworldly performances, but there is no consistency. Competition for places and more options off the bench bring about that.

Claymenza

Willian and Lamela are in the 25+ million pound bracket, although with perhaps 10% more quality. Konop and salah are slightly less lethal.

I'm not saying sterling is at the same calibur as these lot, but he's trying very hard so far. Rodgers pushing him down the pecking order forced him to get better. Willian is quick, works hard, and uses the flanks well....but I wouldn't classify him as the real maestro in Chelsea's attack.

That's eden hazard, and to a lesser extent Oscar. Sometimes you want your winger to be an athlete first, then creator second. I've never seen konop play but something tells me as a 24 year old he's not worth relegating sterling to the bench.

If sterling was disappointing, we wouldn't have underbid for salah. We have signed him for the asking price. Sure he can be inconsistent, but it's not like we're paying attention to willian whenever he plays poorly. I wonder how much game time salah will be getting at Chelsea.

canucky008

TIA Reserve Team
I'll admit it, I thought we were going to lose and lose badly without Lucas Sakho and Cissokho playing on the left

So depressed that I didn't even bother to post on the pre match thread

I can't believe what I witnessed. Totally shocked.

This Brendan Rodgers fella is just eye opening.
His belief in the team, the players,the club has rubbed off on everyone.

Even Cissokho who I utterly bagged a few weeks back looked like a different player today. He looked more imposing,more in ontrol and even had the confidence to take a shot on goal that would have been the cherry on the sundae if he scored.

That to me is all about man management and the vibe BR sends through the players. So much so that he went after Wilshere after the foul on Sterling. Respect for that.

Henderson to me hasn't been given enough credit as I thought he played a pivotal role in the midfield. He was outstanding and allowed our whole forward line to get up there and do the damage that they did.

Even Gerrard is looking better in his DM. He just needs to remember that those sliding tackles in the midfield will get you in trouble in the box.

It's an adjustment that will take a bit of time considering he spent his whole career in the forward midfield.

RaoulDuke

Hardly-Known Member
alphakilo said:
Just out of curiosity. Who got the armband after Suarez came off? Because could swear it was Toure
What I didn't understand:
Why did suarez give the armband to henderson when he left the pitch?
We had all the time in the world and skrtel could have fetched it himself.

Uberkoen

TIA Reserve Team
Just watched the game again and boy did we absolutely batter them or what!

Coutinho had been getting a lot of stick recently on here for his performance but he showed what he adds to the team in this game. Some brilliant through balls by the lad. A couple of really amazing ones specially the one that led to Sturridge's goal and another where Henderson put it wide.

I honestly love the partnership between Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge. Its brilliant and I love it when they get together to celebrate a goal.

Last time we scored a goal in the first minute was back in 1996.

Last time we scored 5 against Arsenal was back in 1964!

A lot of Arsenal fans were already out of the stadium with over 35 minutes left to play in the game. That just tells you how we completely dominated them.

If Sterling can improve his finishing what an amazing player he'll turn out to be. He missed two rather easy chances today unfortunately for the poor lad. He's still young though and I'm sure he can keep improving.

What fills me with delight is the performance of the lads from the academy both Flanno and Sterling were superb out there and they've been doing very well recently.

It was unfortunate that Suarez didn't get one today. That volley from Gerrard's corner was sublime and that freekick he took later in the second half was pretty good as well, on target and troubling the keeper from quite a way out. It surprised Szczesny. He might have scored had Henderson passed the ball to him instead of shooting wide from a bit of an awkward angle.

Wonderful performance though. This is the Liverpool of the old!

More of the same please!

On a side note, did anyone catch Sterling's post match interview? He was all suited up! Nice to see!

redalways

TIA Regular
Anybody else think Anfield's atmosphere made a huge, huge difference?

I usually turn off the volume because the commentary is unintelligible, but I left it on this time because it was just roaring out there.

OhYaBeauty

redalways said:

I usually turn off the volume because the commentary is unintelligible, but I left it on this time because it was just roaring out there.
Still worth turning the volume down when Michael Owen is on commentary. Dear god he's shit.

Reactions: bes

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
Second half the atnosphere dipped alarmingly though. I know it was a case of job done in the first half and the fans played a key role in that but at times in second half the fans seemed to be going thru the motions!! Human nature I suppose.

Probably just shell shocked at what we witnessed haha.

Poor Scouser Tommy

Sweet as a nut.
Claymenza said:
Let's be frank mate, when did we last have three or four injured at the same time in midfield? Allen is more than a suitable backup for Henderson, and lucas' injury hasn't hurt us. Moses is a capable substitute for sterling and Rodgers wants to give ibe a chance before we splash out on an overpriced winger.

Coutinho showed he can play the pressing game well enough to accommodate suarez on the wing who is just as deadly.

I'm happy with our player's attitude at the moment. Let's not ruin them with more signings. Flanagan does not deserve to lose his place to luke shaw or any pricey full back the transfer forum is begging for.
If you're referring to the chap who parted the Red Sea, then you may have a point.

If you're referring to Victor Moses, then I think you may have taken a knock to the head. This season, Sterling has been far better than Moses in every single facet of play- that includes defending.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Joe90 said:
I think that those fans who cried we didnt sign anyone, or that the team has inferior players, need to take another look. Now im not saying we dont need players, nor that we arent making mistakes, but this team is very very very good. And that needs to be acknowledged.
We also must acknowkede the we are not as good as we could be. Had we bought better players in the window we would have a better 11 and a better match day squad. Be able to rest players in other games because those in the background are good enough.

Dont get me wrong, the Arsenal result was fantanstic. But we have a number of players who are not good enough or at least should be improved upon. If we had bought 2 in January (say a winger and CDM) it would help us now and in the summer, because if we make the CL we will need to bring in as many as 4-5 rather than 2-3 had we bought.

***Please note I dont necessarily mean 4-5 starters perhaps 2 or 3 with others good enough to challenge for a starting spot or at least improve on our squad players

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
OhYaBeauty said:
Still worth turning the volume down when Michael Owen is on commentary. Dear god he's shit.
On Toure's miss "He'll be disapointed with himself there"

The equivilant of saying "Oh look the grass at Anfield is green."
Does he offer any insight!??

Urban Achiever

Still can't believe what the boys did yesterday! Absolutely fantastic performance.
On a general note one must really appreciate Brendan Rodgers contrtibution to the development of his players. I mean look at the team yesterday from a development POV.

Mignolet - Good keeper already... now arguably a class-keeper.
Flannagan - TBF a nobody from the academy who was alright but no worldbeater talent... now seen as a major talent on the big scene.
Skrtel - Already good under Kenny
Kolo - Free.... not getting many games... has come in and been one of the basics of Rodgers team in the top of the league.
Cissokho - Loanclub didn't want him. Started out as a joke.... now suddenly after a couple of games he is (as a 3rd choice) seriously pressuring Glen Johnsons spot in the squad and might get a deal.
Henderson - everyone wanted rid after he didn't cut it under Kenny... now counted amongst the best young CMs in England.
Gerrard - obviously already worldclass
Cou - well, Inter didn't value him... now under Rodgers he's a serious contender for the WC!
Sterling - 19 years old and certainly already a starter for the national team if he keeps this level.
Sturridge - nobody wanted him and everyone called him selfish and lazy. Rodgers apparently saw something else.
Suarez - already top class in Holland and under Kenny.... BUT TBF.... he only became worldclass after Rodgers came. Funny 'cos noone in the media ever writes about this, but he truly became Genious under Rodgers managament!

With an average age around 23.... the youngest in the league I think!

I don't wanna turn this into the Rodgers thread.... I just think it's rermarkable how many of the players on the pitch in such a historic victory wasn't really that hot stuff before Rodgers arrived or under anyone elses managment. His coaching is clearly at a very high level and even though he's also made mistakes, a day like yesterday shows us just how far he can take this club if he's given support..... and a new contract soon :)

Once again: The defence yesterday held Arsenal away from having as much as a single chance from open play! With 4 forwards/attacking players on the field! Impressive..... especially when you see that the players were Flanno, Skrtel, Kolo and Cissokho. Incredible! Hats of to Rodgers for achieving that with 4 players who many would consider midtable before he came.

EDIT: Regarding Cissokho I write 3rd choice but in reality he would probably have been considered 4th choice with Enrique, Johnson and Flannagan ahead of him with all FBs fit... which just makes our situation even better :)

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
I
jimmydestiny said:
On Toure's miss "He'll be disapointed with himself there"
The equivilant of saying "Oh look the grass at Anfield is green."
Does he offer any insight!??
Also loved Chris Waddle's comment. "Arsenal didn't wake up till they were 4-0 down. You can't do that in the Premier League".

Priceless.

kopite1982

Imagine andy gray commentating on this game yesturday? BT should get him on for all prem games. " ohhhhh youuu beautttyyyyyyyyyy... What a hit son... What a hit"

Redaido

TIA Youth Team
What a performance surely the best attacking performance by any team this season in the first 45 mins? really looking forward to the big teams coming to Anfield after that, but am now worrying about the away games against the smaller teams like Fulham on Wednesday.

Shows the team has come along way since we played Arsenal earlier in the season , the only disappointment from the game is that Suarez's two amazing attempts didn't go in firstly his thunderbolt volley and secondly his amazing freekick, it was also good to see that despite Suarez's disgust at being taken off early he was respect enough to BR and his teamates not to throw a strop , which he would of last season.

Im just so happy :D

Urban Achiever

Golden quotes from MOTD commentary to the highlights:

"This is like the Liverpool of old"
"Another pinpoint-pass from Suarez!"
"Anger, frustration, misery.... long way home"
"What a pass! What a finish! What a day for Liverpool"

Noticed some other interesting stuff rewatching the highlights:
Not one Arsenal player ever bothers following up on the penalty.... had SM saved it, it would have been 5 LFC players in the box against none of them.

Wilshere should have been booked for obviously diving and trying to get Gerrard sent off.... holding his hands up to his face without even being touched.

Damn, Sterling should have tipped the ball to Aspas in the end... poor decision... would have been nice with an Aspas goal to make it 6-1!

jhr8

Hard to believe we've beaten them this badly with Agger, Lucas, Sakho, Enrique and Johnson. All who would usually be in our starting 11 if fit.
Couldn't believe my eyes in that first 20 minutes, did a few laps of the house in celebration.
Crazy to think how good we could be when we have our full team back, with a full strength back line and Lucas, Johnson and one of Agger or Sakho to call off the bench.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
redalways said:

The crowd has never failed us at big games. It's the matches against the rubbish teams where they sometimes go missing. especially if there's been no breakthrough by the 30 minute mark.

Mind you,if the first 20 minute slaughter didn't get a person on their feet and shouting, the medical diagnosis will have been that he was suffering from a state of complete catatonic collapse.

A quite unprecedented passage of play in Premiership history. And we were responsible for it. :D

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Woke up feeling pretty good this morning so I went out and painted the front gates-------RED

costared

TIA Reserve Team
jhr8 said:
Hard to believe we've beaten them this badly with Agger, Lucas, Sakho, Enrique and Johnson. All who would usually be in our starting 11 if fit.
Couldn't believe my eyes in that first 20 minutes, did a few laps of the house in celebration.
Crazy to think how good we could be when we have our full team back, with a full strength back line and Lucas, Johnson and one of Agger or Sakho to call off the bench.
I think Sakho or Agger is the only one of those who will automatically get back in.Maybe Johnson if he looks back to his best in training

costared

TIA Reserve Team
"Once again: The defence yesterday held Arsenal away from having as much as a single chance from open play! With 4 forwards/attacking players on the field! Impressive..... especially when you see that the players were Flanno, Skrtel, Kolo and Cissokho. Incredible! Hats of to Rodgers for achieving that with 4 players who many would consider midtable "

Urban Achiever

I think you underestimate the difference Gerrard playing deep has made to our defence.

jhr8

costared said:
I think Sakho or Agger is the only one of those who will automatically get back in.Maybe Johnson if he looks back to his best in training
By that I meant that at the start of the season they were all undisputed starters, bar Sakho, and now look where we are without them even playing.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Anyone else like seeing a player like Ozil come over to the Premier League and struggle?

The media wanks with such vigor over the Spanish duopoly, but suddenly one of their top players come over to a real league where most sides properly fight for the points, and they're shaken by the physicality.

They probably don't expect such fighting spirit.

Just hope that they players we'll inevitably buy this summer, who'll be of a high class, won't have such culture shock issues.

spizfromoz

I'm really pissed off they got that goal. 5-1, that 1, really annoys me, they weren't even that close.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
DeathOrGlory said:
Anyone else like seeing a player like Ozil come over to the Premier League and struggle?

The media wanks with such vigor over the Spanish duopoly, but suddenly one of their top players come over to a real league where most sides properly fight for the points, and they're shaken by the physicality.

They probably don't expect such fighting spirit.

Just hope that they players we'll inevitably buy this summer, who'll be of a high class, won't have such culture shock issues.
I think he's been exposed when he's been pressed. Managers must have seen this. Ours certainly did.

In Spain, and even Germany, he got much more time on the ball, but the Premiership is obviously a completely different animal. Until he gets used to the speed and aggression of this league, he'll be getting found out. Hopefully he never will get used to it. He seems quite a lethargic player to me, and opposition players love to get stuck into his type.

Alex

since 2004

just a summary of his day

I hope he's not injured himself. he's not so young and that's painful