• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: LIVERPOOL REZZIES 1-0 THE ABSOLUTE EV (FAC 5/1/20 4pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 72 40.9%
  • Milner [off 8’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 44 25.0%
  • Phillips

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Williams

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • Lallana

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • Chirivella

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • Jones [GOAL 71’]

Votes: 116 65.9%
  • Elliot [off 79’]

• Minamino [off 70’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Origi

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Larouci [on 8’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 70’]

• Brewster [on 79’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Given what the kids did to Everton, what went wrong against Villa?
Different (younger) kids for the most part, only Chirivella, Elliot and Larouci were the same.

You also need some experienced players to play with the kids and you need quality in the defence. Against Villa we suffered with the goalkeeping and central defenders making mistakes which totally undermined the fact we played the better football. Had Kelleher and Hoever played instead of Adrian and Gomez we'd have probably got battered yesterday.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Against villa, we didn't field a single senior player:
Liverpool: Kelleher, Hoever, Boyes, Van den Berg, Gallacher, Chirivella, Christie-Davies, Kane, Longstaff, Hill, Elliott.
Substitutes: Winterbottom, Clayton, Dixon-Bonner, Bearne, Clarkson, Norris, Stewart.

Without taking anything away from our young lads, we shouldn't underestimate the contribution made by the senior players.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Liverpool: Kelleher, Hoever, Boyes, Van den Berg, Gallacher, Chirivella, Christie-Davies, Kane, Longstaff, Hill, Elliott.
Substitutes: Winterbottom, Clayton, Dixon-Bonner, Bearne, Clarkson, Norris, Stewart.

Without taking anything away from our young lads, we shouldn't underestimate the contribution made by the senior players.
Just as important, if not more so, no Klopp on the sidelines urging his kids on!

redalways

TIA Regular

I think it's also to do with that some of the lads that day were really more of U18 rather than U23, so it would have compounded the difficulty. I think Hill in particular had only played once or twice for the U23s? Yet in all honesty, apart from being a little physically dominated and naïve, I thought we did take the game to Villa that day, and were unfortunate with some of the goals.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Just watched the goal for about the 30th time and I do feel their pain...........

NOT :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:

When he scored my wife came in to find out why I was laughing hysterically. She told me to grow up.................but she does come from a family of blue noses. :rolleyes:

Red over the water

Time for a lovely story.

Moved to the States 11 years ago. Kids were 5 and 2 at the time. After living here for a couple of years we went back to England to visit family. Took in the delights of Birkenhead Market (!) with my son, who was five years old at the time. One of the stalls we stopped at had loads of football pictures. He was looking at all the Liverpool ones, and told me who knew who they were, but then he said, "Who are the blue ones, dad?"

Exactly.

Richard88

It looks like the youngsters will get another run out in the next round, at Bristol City/ Shrewsbury.
Good draw that. Gives us a chance to play some youngsters again and still expect to win.

Also happy that Wolves (if they beat United in the replay) could potentially be playing away at Watford (where they lost recently in the league) just 3 days before our away game against them.

Richard88

So, Shrewsbury Town or Bristol City ?
This can be a revelation, sort of a disclosure, for our young heroes from yesterday !
Can they perform as a favorites, the same way they performed as "underdogs"
It will be interesting, if they can create chances, outsmart oponents defence...
Great draw! (y)
By the time that fixture rolls around we should (hopefully) have more players available given that all of Lovren, Matip, Fabinho, Keita, and Milner are expected back before then.

All things being well we could feasibly field two completely different yet highly competitive lineups in the league games at Wolves and West Ham and in the game vs Shrewbury/Bristol...

League fixtures:

----------------- Alisson ---------------------
Trent ---- Gomez --- Van Dijk --- Robertson
----------------- Fabinho ---------------------
---------- Henderson -- Wijnaldum ---------
--- Salah -------- Firmino -------- Mané ----

Cup game:

-------------------- Adrian --------------------
Williams --- Matip ------- Lovren ----- Milner
-------------------- Lallana --------------------
------------- Ox ----------- Keita --------------
Shaqiri ---------- Minamino ------------- Origi

The cup game could very well be an opportunity for several senior players to get important minutes to get match fit again (eg. Lovren, Matip, Shaqiri), though I'd be surprised if Klopp doesn't also use the game to give the likes of Elliott and Jones some more minutes as well.

Richard88

Quite possible that once if/when we get the league won that we will see our cup team become our league team.

Jones, Elliott and Williams might end up playing our last few league games while the first team go after the CL.
Should the first team be undefeated in the league with just a handful of games left I think it would be unlikely that too many players are rested in league games even if it's won. The players won't admit it publicly but I'm sure they'd all love to finish undefeated.

That said, if we should have lost a game already before wrapping up the league there would be no other reason to not blood a few of the youngsters in the final few league fixtures.

Either way, that's a very good problem to have!

Dimitriy

By the time that fixture rolls around we should (hopefully) have more players available given that all of Lovren, Matip, Fabinho, Keita, and Milner are expected back before then.

All things being well we could feasibly field two completely different yet highly competitive lineups in the league games at Wolves and West Ham and in the game vs Shrewbury/Bristol...

League fixtures:

----------------- Alisson ---------------------
Trent ---- Gomez --- Van Dijk --- Robertson
----------------- Fabinho ---------------------
---------- Henderson -- Wijnaldum ---------
--- Salah -------- Firmino -------- Mané ----

Cup game:

-------------------- Adrian --------------------
Williams --- Matip ------- Lovren ----- Milner
-------------------- Lallana --------------------
------------- Ox ----------- Keita --------------
Shaqiri ---------- Minamino ------------- Origi

The cup game could very well be an opportunity for several senior players to get important minutes to get match fit again (eg. Lovren, Matip, Shaqiri), though I'd be surprised if Klopp doesn't also use the game to give the likes of Elliott and Jones some more minutes as well.
You are wright !
But my post mainly refers to...Jones, Elliot, Neco, Pedro, Larouci. A bit about Gomez, as a leader ...That's why I wrote "young heros" :)

Last edited:

Sweeting

Should the first team be undefeated in the league with just a handful of games left I think it would be unlikely that too many players are rested in league games even if it's won. The players won't admit it publicly but I'm sure they'd all love to finish undefeated.

That said, if we should have lost a game already before wrapping up the league there would be no other reason to not blood a few of the youngsters in the final few league fixtures.

Either way, that's a very good problem to have!
I don't think Klopp could care less about an invincible season plus I think he has faith in the youngsters that they'll win anyway.

Richard88

I don't think Klopp could care less about an invincible season plus I think he has faith in the youngsters that they'll win anyway.
You're right, Klopp probably doesn't care much about it, but the players do. Most title winners eventually get forgotten, but Arsenal's "invincibles" are still talked about today on a regular basis. Things like that are important to fans too.

Sweeting

You're right, Klopp probably doesn't care much about it, but the players do. Most title winners eventually get forgotten, but Arsenal's "invincibles" are still talked about today on a regular basis. Things like that are important to fans too.
As I said, Klopp will likely believe that Jones, Williams and Elliott are good enough to maintain that record anyway.

PL, CL and FA Cup treble would last in the memory longest of all.