Post Match: LIVERPOOL REZZIES 1-0 THE ABSOLUTE EV (FAC 5/1/20 4pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 72 40.9%
  • Milner [off 8’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 44 25.0%
  • Phillips

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Williams

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • Lallana

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • Chirivella

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • Jones [GOAL 71’]

Votes: 116 65.9%
  • Elliot [off 79’]

• Minamino [off 70’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Origi

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Larouci [on 8’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 70’]

• Brewster [on 79’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rockafella

Registered before you did
I agree with the comments re Adrian's performance being overrated for this game. Yes he made three decent reaction saves, but all were directly at him. If any of those would've gone in you'd be questioning him. Not trying to put him down, he did what he had to do, but I think the majority of the outfield players have a better claim to man of the match (thought Gomez, Jones, Williams, Chirivella and Lallana were fantastic).

In other news, Pickford is crap. If England had a decent keeper then he wouldn't get as much praise because he wouldn't be the number one.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
For whatever reason he can't stand the guy and can see nothing positive in him, ever. I just don't get it.
No, I have nothing against him, how could I, I don't know him, he can be the nicest guy you ever meet. No my problem with him is that I don't think he is very good. With the exception of one safe, some header from close by in the CL I think I have seen him do nothing that makes me think, that is a solid nr. 2.

I have seen him fuck up on several occasions. I have seen his inability to hold on to shots giving away rebounds and his slow reaction times in general. Luckily so far he has not cost us any points in the PL a place next round of the CL/FA cup so keep it that way. Let's keep him on the bench where he is at his best and for next season get a better nr. 2 goalkeeper.

To me he is simply not that good, people see it differently, fine by me too.

redalways

TIA Regular
No, I have nothing against him, how could I, I don't know him, he can be the nicest guy you ever meet. No my problem with him is that I don't think he is very good. With the exception of one safe, some header from close by in the CL I think I have seen him do nothing that makes me think, that is a solid nr. 2.

I have seen him fuck up on several occasions. I have seen his inability to hold on to shots giving away rebounds and his slow reaction times in general. Luckily so far he has not cost us any points in the PL a place next round of the CL/FA cup so keep it that way. Let's keep him on the bench where he is at his best and for next season get a better nr. 2 goalkeeper.

And yet you think Mignolet was ever better than him???

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin

I think everything you have said is fair. He is clearly a step down from a lot of first choice keepers in the league. But that’s the point - he is a back up to the best goal keeper in the world.

When you have the best keeper in the world, you are extremely limited in what you can do as a back up. Even Simon fucking Mignolet - who had hands made of smoke and couldn’t save a word document - didn’t fancy hanging about as his back up. It not realistic to go out to keepers giving them the wink that if they work hard and be patient they have a chance of grabbing the number 1 shirt. That’s obviously a lie.

I don’t think there are many better reserve keepers in the league. The best I can think of is Romero at Utd, and I think there is a legitimate argument that he is seriously challenging De Gea at the minute.

Everything you have said about his ability as a keeper is probably true, but we are not getting any better to spend 85% of their time sitting on the bench. That’s the price of having the worlds best keeper as your first choice. And money doesn’t solve it either - even City are reliant on a clown like Bravo when Ederson is unavailable.

What Adrian brings is that he is a dependable back up, not an amazing keeper but good enough - certainly better than Mignolet. He is patient, professional and a good pro. He won’t rock the boat and he understands his place in the squad. Crucially, while not at Alisson’s Level, he mimics his style, meaning the whole team shape and approach doesn’t have to change like it did with Mignolet.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Interesting to see Dom King and Phil McNulty mention this morning about Everton players complaining after the game that Ancellotti is limiting the impact of some of them - not sure what that means, particularly after that performance. They also apparently got into a row with Ferguson which is less of a surprise.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Interesting to see Dom King and Phil McNulty mention this morning about Everton players complaining after the game that Ancellotti is limiting the impact of some of them - not sure what that means, particularly after that performance. They also apparently got into a row with Ferguson which is less of a surprise.
It means that Everton are absolutely screwed, root and branch need clearing out now. Ancelotti is a player's coach, he takes a look at what he has, and puts in a framework that tries to let his players flourish. At Bayern, his players were actually making the opposite complaint, they wanted more detailed structure, not top level guidance. If that squad is suggesting that they know better having seen the wisdom of Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, and Silva, Everton has become unmanageable.

Flobs

FADA
I was just explaining why I did not untherstood why people saw him as MoTM. IMHO he did not nearly enough for that, much better candidates for that title on that night. (Williams, Lallana, Gomez)
Did not see a reaction to convince me otherwise
Great distribution, much better than Becker's. :)

Flobs

FADA

Out of interest what did you make of the rubber man Karius?

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
Adrian to Dutch is like Henderson to ChicagoRed. From the player thread (this isn't selective, this is every post of his until I got bored of looking on the third page in):

For whatever reason he can't stand the guy and can see nothing positive in him, ever. I just don't get it.
Still waiting for that disaster, I guess.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
I agree with the comments re Adrian's performance being overrated for this game. Yes he made three decent reaction saves, but all were directly at him. If any of those would've gone in you'd be questioning him. Not trying to put him down, he did what he had to do, but I think the majority of the outfield players have a better claim to man of the match (thought Gomez, Jones, Williams, Chirivella and Lallana were fantastic).

In other news, Pickford is crap. If England had a decent keeper then he wouldn't get as much praise because he wouldn't be the number one.
Something called positioning is so important for goalkeepers and then makes saves look easy which is what Allisson does well as did David Seaman

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Adrian to Dutch is like Henderson to ChicagoRed. From the player thread (this isn't selective, this is every post of his until I got bored of looking on the third page in):

Sometimes some fans don't take to certain players. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

I had a similar thing with a former Aussie player that I just had this inate hatred of. spent many years giving moaning and complaining whenever he got picked in the national squad. Even to this day, mates can't mention his name in front of me without me going off about how shite he was.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Sometimes some fans don't take to certain players. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

I had a similar thing with a former Aussie player that I just had this inate hatred of. spent many years giving moaning and complaining whenever he got picked in the national squad. Even to this day, mates can't mention his name in front of me without me going off about how shite he was.
Danny Mills was one of mine, couldn't stand him as a player, still can't as a pundit.

However I don't like to see fans having a go at one of our players literally every time they mention them, particularly when it's based on factors that are only apparent to them, and blown way out of proportion. It wasn't a good look on ChicagoRed, who became a bit of a running joke because of it.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Danny Mills was one of mine, couldn't stand him as a player, still can't as a pundit.

However I don't like to see fans having a go at one of our players literally every time they mention them, particularly when it's based on factors that are only apparent to them, and blown way out of proportion. It wasn't a good look on ChicagoRed, who became a bit of a running joke because of it.
For me, it's Brett fucking Holman. Just hearing his name would see me dive into the red mist

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Hah! He's one of my pet peeves too... :LOL:

Dutch

Ad-free Member

Dirk Kuyt is mine, biggest phoney in the football world you can find. I absolutely adore Adrian compared to him. :LOL:

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Ouch!!

I always had a soft spot for Dirk. Not the best player, but he had a massive heart and gave 110% whenever he played
Perhaps that is because you can not understand Dutch. A lot of fans over here in the Netherlands see right true that “look at me being just a regular lad who stayed humble and does it all for the fans” act of his. I will never say a bad word about his work-rate but for the rest.......

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Just listened to The Guardian podcast reviewing our game.

The question of "combined XI" was changed to "combined squad" and I still think they were too generous to Everton.

They would have Pickford on the bench over Adrian (struggle to find a single LFC fan who agrees).

I think that was it.
Yeah, I know which one of them I'd trust in a high-pressure situation.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Out of interest who is your Dutch team to support? I'm guessing it is not Feyenoord (Kuyt) or Ajax (Ziyech)
Holland Sport. A local professional football club here in the beautiful city of The Hague that ceased to exist when the then local government decided that there was only room for one club in May 1971. I was without a club until a good friend took me to Anfield in March 1991 against Sunderland.

I had a team to support again! (y)