Post Match: LIVERPOOL REZZIES 1-0 THE ABSOLUTE EV (FAC 5/1/20 4pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 72 40.9%
  • Milner [off 8’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

Votes: 44 25.0%
  • Phillips

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Williams

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • Lallana

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • Chirivella

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • Jones [GOAL 71’]

Votes: 116 65.9%
  • Elliot [off 79’]

• Minamino [off 70’]

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Origi

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Larouci [on 8’]

• Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 70’]

• Brewster [on 79’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Limiescouse

Holland Sport. A local professional football club here in the beautiful city of The Hague that ceased to exist when the then local government decided that there was only room for one club in May 1971. I was without a club until a good friend took me to Anfield in March 1991 against Sunderland.

I had a team to support again! (y)
Jesus. You got in at just the wrong time.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Adrian to Dutch is like Henderson to ChicagoRed. From the player thread (this isn't selective, this is every post of his until I got bored of looking on the third page in):

For whatever reason he can't stand the guy and can see nothing positive in him, ever. I just don't get it.
To be fair - most of Dutch’s posts criticizing Adrian have been in response to being poked on the subject after his initial criticisms when Adrian was in the eyes of most a hero for at least doing enough to allow us to win while Alison was injured. Fair play to him for defending his opinion.

ChicagoRed seemed to mention how terrible Henderson was a dozen times in every match thread no matter how well hendo was actually playing.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
To be fair - most of Dutch’s posts criticizing Adrian have been in response to being poked on the subject after his initial criticisms when Adrian was in the eyes of most a hero for at least doing enough to allow us to win while Alison was injured. Fair play to him for defending his opinion.

ChicagoRed seemed to mention how terrible Henderson was a dozen times in every match thread no matter how well hendo was actually playing.
He also said in this thread that he couldn't understand why Adrian was so popular in the motm poll, thats what started it again.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Holland Sport. A local professional football club here in the beautiful city of The Hague that ceased to exist when the then local government decided that there was only room for one club in May 1971. I was without a club until a good friend took me to Anfield in March 1991 against Sunderland.

I had a team to support again! (y)
Oh god. You are a Sunderland supporter?

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Interesting to see Dom King and Phil McNulty mention this morning about Everton players complaining after the game that Ancellotti is limiting the impact of some of them - not sure what that means, particularly after that performance. They also apparently got into a row with Ferguson which is less of a surprise.
Maybe Carlo said no nasty tackles? That would limit the impact of all of their players.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, personally I like it when it goes against mainstream view. Makes this place interesting, and challanges my own perceptions. It's genuine view that can be backed up with an argument. It's not that outrageous an argument that a keeper released from his club is not top draw.

But my personal view is that Adrian is mentally stronger than our least few keepers but perhaps not as naturally talented.

By mentally stronger, he can maintain concentration entire 90 minutes, does not let errors affect his game. Mistakes are few and far between. Performance are 7 out of 10 most games.

Mignolet and Karius when things are going well can look very good. Could be argued quicker reflexes, better shot stoppers etc. Their problem is mental strength. One week they could be a 8 out of 10 performance, the following week a 4 out of 10 performance. If we are honest both crumbled under the pressure.

For me I like Adrian and his 7 out of 10 performances. Saving what he is expected to save is enough for me for a back up keeper. That's far better than an inconsistent keeper whose eratic performances disrupt entire defense and it's confidence.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, personally I like it when it goes against mainstream view. Makes this place interesting, and challanges my own perceptions. It's genuine view that can be backed up with an argument. It's not that outrageous an argument that a keeper released from his club is not top draw.

But my personal view is that Adrian is mentally stronger than our least few keepers but perhaps not as naturally talented.

By mentally stronger, he can maintain concentration entire 90 minutes, does not let errors affect his game. Mistakes are few and far between. Performance are 7 out of 10 most games.

Mignolet and Karius when things are going well can look very good. Could be argued quicker reflexes, better shot stoppers etc. Their problem is mental strength. One week they could be a 8 out of 10 performance, the following week a 4 out of 10 performance. If we are honest both crumbled under the pressure.

For me I like Adrian and his 7 out of 10 performances. Saving what he is expected to save is enough for me for a back up keeper. That's far better than an inconsistent keeper whose eratic performances disrupt entire defense and it's confidence.
Opinions are great and I have players that I don't rate as high as others, but when they pull on the shirt you have got to want them to do well.

With regards to Adrian he performed well and did everything needed of him apart from a couple of corners and as you said he did his job without any frills and for many was their motm, not mine btw

I am not the biggest Lovren fan but I have voted him motm this season and that for me is what it is about dont be blinkered when someone plays well congratulate them, dont be a debbie downer and pour cold water on what is a good performance.

As Klopp says support the team and that means those that play for us.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
You know, I reckon Pickford would've gotten something on that strike from Jones, if only his arms were longer.:cool:

melbournered

I stand corrected if i'm wrong, ,but i seem to recall WH fans being asked for their opinion on him when he signed with us and the view was as good (solid?) as he was, he had that howler in his locker occasionally.
So that observation made me nervous.
He's made a mistake or two with us, but as it turned out, i was pretty relaxed when he substituted for Alisson (and that's not using the benefit of hindsight!)
An absolute quality back up goalie.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Dirk Kuyt is mine, biggest phoney in the football world you can find. I absolutely adore Adrian compared to him. :LOL:
Kuyt?!? You must be the only Liverpool supporter I know of who doesn't like this guy... yeah at the time, there were critics voiced about his lacking first touch, and his lack of pace, but otherwise, everyone would agree what a great character he was to have around. One of these lads who would give 120% every game, and who allowed other players around him to shine. With his extraordinary work-rate, he was the perfect foil for Gerrard and Torres at their peak for instance. I for one enjoyed his time with us.

You can of course say that he never reached the perfection of our current front three, who combine technical proficiency, pace and hard work. But I'd never call a committed and loyal player like Kuyt a phoney. That seems odd to me.

As for Adrian, I'd like to know: did your dislike of him start when he joined us, or was it there before already? Because since he joined us, he has hardly done anything wrong in the games he played for us. So I suppose that your dislike comes from before?

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
I stand corrected if i'm wrong, ,but i seem to recall WH fans being asked for their opinion on him when he signed with us and the view was as good (solid?) as he was, he had that howler in his locker occasionally.
So that observation made me nervous.
He's made a mistake or two with us, but as it turned out, i was pretty relaxed when he substituted for Alisson (and that's not using the benefit of hindsight!)
An absolute quality back up goalie.

How much of Adrians occasional howler was down to the west ham defence making a howler tho?
which they are more prone to doing than our defence.

in this case our defence could make Adrian a more confident and assured keeper. does this make sense?

as it is tho, i reckon Adrian is proving to be good back up keeper,
despite having reservations about his quality (mainly with his distribution) when he first signed.

Richard88

Nice reward for the kids to get a winnable tie against Shrewsbury in the next round.

That said, it's probably unlikely that we see quite as many youth players again given that the likes of Shaqiri, Lovren, Matip, etc will need to be getting some minutes too.

Guessing that we'll probably will see something like this against Shrewsbury if everyone is fit by then:

---------------- Adrian ----------------
Neco --- Matip ---- Lovren -- Milner
---------------- Lallana ---------------
-------- Ox ------------- Jones
Shaqiri ----- Minamino -------- Origi

Bench: Kelleher, Phillips, Larouci, Chirivella, Keita, Elliott, Firmino/Mané/Salah

The team for the league games against West Ham and Wolves would then naturally be the usual first XI.