• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool v Arsenal (CS 29/8/20 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Williams (off 60')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

• Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Fabinho

• Milner (off 60')

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Wijnaldum (off 92')

• Salah

• Mane

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Firmino

• Minamino (on 60', GOAL ??')

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Keita (on 60')

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Jones (on ??)

• Brewster (on 92')

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rab

It's only a friendly but one you'd like to see a better performance in.

Thought we were dead flat first half. That midfield offered very little. No attacking incision, no creativity and not really that good a job of plugging the gaps and stopping attacks. Thiago would be nice but with Gini and Milner pretty much in their final season it's an area in most need of a refresh.

Keita and Minamino looked far more lively than any of our starting eleven. Really pleased to see Minamino on the score sheet, hopefully a boost in confidence for him going into the season.

Still don't like Fabinho at centre back and definitely don't like Gomez at right back. I get the idea around flexibility but sometimes it feels square peg in round holes. Interesting that Koumetio was the bench option and not van den Berg or Hoever. Especially as Hoever can cover right back too. Wouldn't be too harsh on Williams. Not many as good as Aubameyang at that skill.

Front three was stodge. Mane the best of them but looked rusty in front of goal. Salah had one of those days where nothing worked for him. Happening more and more which is a bit worrying. A true number 9 would have loved that service from Robertson but that's not Bobby's game and he didn't really look like getting out of third gear. Lot of games in those three sets of legs in the last two years and would really like to see a better option than Origi so we can keep them fresh.

JMac8

What I take from the Brewster penalty is that the boy is only 19, had just come on and had the balls to step up to take a pen. Everything else is nit picking.
Didn’t make much sense from Klopp though. Came on with seconds to go so was only for the penalty. If he scores it’s prob not gonna make much difference to his confidence, misses and it takes a hit. Plenty of others could have taken the pen instead, or else get him on earlier to have some impact.

Not a big deal, just seemed strange

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
I am not sure about other teams.. But we aren't the same team without fans cheering us on inside the stadium..
This team has been created on the premise of the bond between the fans and the team. That's Klopp's main strength and accomplishment. He managed to unleash that potential by bringing in players who thrive under this pressure and enthusiasm.

Make no mistake: as long as people aren't allowed to enter Anfield, and there isn't that special pressure from the crowd, we'll be at 50%.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
It was a dumb decision to let Brewster take the penalty. Brew was sitting on the bench for 90 minutes , had not properly warmed up , mentally and physically, had not kicked the ball, yet he is sent out to take a critical penalty.

hard to believe people get paid millions of dollars to make such decisions.

imagine a player arrives 2 hours late for training, gets out of his Car, quickly changes, walks on the field and the manager says I want you to take a spot kick. Is it not 100% obvious, that if the the player scored, it would be pure random luck. The odds are worse than a 50 50 coin flip, because the goal keeper is all warmed up And keyed in.

if Brew was good enough to take the pen, then he should have been brought on 15 minutes earlier

man city did not win much last year, but at least pep can say they won the community shield.

it is so difficult to win silver in the premiership, why loose silver because of bad decisions

they say Brewster will be sent out again this year, not good enough to make the first team, but he was good enough to take a critical penalty. How does that work and add up

very bad decision
Are you actually serious?
Millions of dollars to make such decisions?
Loose (?) silverware because of such decisions?
How des that work? Maybe Brewster is hammering in pens in training? He hit the fucking crossbar, sloser than Baggio in a World Cup final. I genuinely despair reading this.

Redopium

Not a great first half from us, improved in the second and again when Keita and mini came on but after we scored the arse came out to play again and finished the stronger.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
As soon as Taki and Keita came onto the pitch, we started dominating Arsenal like hell. ± 100% possession, a lot of chances, the goal, other big chances... then Klopp took off Bobby, Jones came in for him, and suddenly we lost it completely and it's Arsenal which could have won it. Dunno exactly what happened there, but it was very obvious
Totally agree with this, just one other thing what has happened to Mo? Just none existant for me and has looked poor for quite a while not getting into the game and when he does he gives it away

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Poor first half but then you can count the good first half performances I've seen from us over the last 12 months on your fingers. We are always playing within ourselves ready for the big push second half. It kind of happened today and once we scored I assumed we'd go on to win but the disappointing thing was that we didn't capitalise when Arsenal were wobbling and they actually finished the stronger team.

Hopefully that's a big moment for Minamino and he can push on from here. Will make a big difference if he can settle in now. Mane was good as always. Mo and Bobby well off it. That starting midfield is the very definition of workmanlike and the substitutions livened us up. We rely so much on Trent for creativity. Robertson was good but Neco struggled. I like him but defensively he's raw and a bit short on pace which means his positioning has to be spot on otherwise he gets caught out. Same with Trent when he started and he got there in the end.

I don't think Arsenal are that bad now. Arteta knows what he's doing and this is the best defensively they've been for ages. Their goal was excellent, not just the finish but the build up all the way from the keeper. My gripes were that our bench looked a bit thin. I really don't like the idea of Fabinho filling in at CB and hope we are working on a better solution there. My other was the Brewster substitution. If it's someone like Milner, then fine, but it was setting the lad up for a fall. Very unusually for JK it lacked a bit of basic common sense and I wasn't surprised he missed.

The Big Finn

TIA Youth Team
Taki has bulked up quite a bit and it showed in his performance today.

Not really sure why so many folk on here were writing him off based on last season. He was built like a bus ticket when he arrived and it was clear that he would need to gain some weight to make the transition to the PL.

richieh10

I am seriously concerned with our form since Christmas.

yes there have been some good results but the way we’ve played has been utter shite compared to the high standards we set at the start of the season.

last year we won the league because we were unstoppable at the start of the season.

the form we’re in at the moment I can’t see us starting anywhere near that level again.

hope I’m wrong

Flobs

FADA
This team has been created on the premise of the bond between the fans and the team. That's Klopp's main strength and accomplishment. He managed to unleash that potential by bringing in players who thrive under this pressure and enthusiasm.

Make no mistake: as long as people aren't allowed to enter Anfield, and there isn't that special pressure from the crowd, we'll be at 50%.
What? They aren't mentality monsters? :cry:

Flobs

FADA
Totally agree with this, just one other thing what has happened to Mo? Just none existant for me and has looked poor for quite a while not getting into the game and when he does he gives it away
Firmino?
It's some time now that I haven't seen Firmino put in one of those agressive performances that he does for Brazil.

rupzzz

TIA Regular

50% suggests we will end up 11th in the league should a full season pass without fans. Not sure I buy that.

A drop off, yes.

pass_and_move

TIA New Signing
Taki has bulked up quite a bit and it showed in his performance today.

Not really sure why so many folk on here were writing him off based on last season. He was built like a bus ticket when he arrived and it was clear that he would need to gain some weight to make the transition to the PL.
Also don't forget it was the Liverpool players who recommended that LFC buy him.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
things we don't like = penalities + warm weather breaks (including in Austria apparently) + lockdowns

Joe Gomez x

Personally don’t think that is just a friendly. Really wanted that win. Was not great until Minamino and Naby came on then we played well. Felt bad for Brewster but shocking pen. Thought his finishing ability was better than just to blast it

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Poor first half but then you can count the good first half performances I've seen from us over the last 12 months on your fingers. We are always playing within ourselves ready for the big push second half. It kind of happened today and once we scored I assumed we'd go on to win but the disappointing thing was that we didn't capitalise when Arsenal were wobbling and they actually finished the stronger team.

Hopefully that's a big moment for Minamino and he can push on from here. Will make a big difference if he can settle in now. Mane was good as always. Mo and Bobby well off it. That starting midfield is the very definition of workmanlike and the substitutions livened us up. We rely so much on Trent for creativity. Robertson was good but Neco struggled. I like him but defensively he's raw and a bit short on pace which means his positioning has to be spot on otherwise he gets caught out. Same with Trent when he started and he got there in the end.

I don't think Arsenal are that bad now. Arteta knows what he's doing and this is the best defensively they've been for ages. Their goal was excellent, not just the finish but the build up all the way from the keeper. My gripes were that our bench looked a bit thin. I really don't like the idea of Fabinho filling in at CB and hope we are working on a better solution there. My other was the Brewster substitution. If it's someone like Milner, then fine, but it was setting the lad up for a fall. Very unusually for JK it lacked a bit of basic common sense and I wasn't surprised he missed.
Hen you start with midfield as we did, zero creativity? We need new blood, get people on their toes again.

NaturalNine

TIA New Signing
Anyone knows why Trent didn't play today, I did a cursory search in the match reports and didn't see it mentioned anywhere?

Red over the water

Anyone knows why Trent didn't play today, I did a cursory search in the match reports and didn't see it mentioned anywhere?
I was talking to a taxi driver, Everton fan, and you’re not gonna believe this...

Edit
I wondered the same. Hopefully it was just a bit of rest, rather than injury