• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool v Arsenal (CS 29/8/20 4.30pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Williams (off 60')

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gomez

• Van Dijk

• Robertson

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • Fabinho

• Milner (off 60')

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Wijnaldum (off 92')

• Salah

• Mane

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Firmino

• Minamino (on 60', GOAL ??')

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Keita (on 60')

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Jones (on ??)

• Brewster (on 92')

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Not a great day at the office,but it was only the Charity Shield.
Although, if a game is worth playing,it is worth winning!

nikz200

Positives:

Minamino goal
Keitas overall play.

Negatives:
Neco Williams positioning and people bashing the poor lad despite him being so young.
Milner and Wijnaldum didnt do anything really to contribute offensive wise
Mane missing a few sitters. when will we hold him to the same standards we hold Salah to? He made Emiliano look world class .
Feel sorry for Brewster but the coach and everyone thought he could take part and score a pen but instead he learnt a harsh lesson and experience

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
We can sign Messi, Thiago and Koulibaly but it should be clear that we won’t win anything without the fans in the stadiums.

We pushed this teams in the last few years, took them to higher levels, made them give 120% in every game but now it seems the team is addicted and can not perform on the highest level without them (us).

This team is a Top4 contender at best without the fans and without the only leader and the true captain of this team.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
We missed Milner/Origi/Hendo/ for the Pens.. Ironically Arsenal pens were like a German team.. Looked like Arsenal were just practicing pens the entire pre season..
Arsenal were training for a week we where shite lake most ot the matches since Warfierd we neefjes blood

nikz200

We can sign Messi, Thiago and Koulibaly but it should be clear that we won’t win anything without the fans in the stadiums.

We pushed this teams in the last few years, took them to higher levels, made them give 120% in every game but now it seems the team is addicted and can not perform on the highest level without them (us).

This team is a Top4 contender at best without the fans and without the only leader and the true captain of this team.
Fans not being in the stadiums is not an excuse for the team to take the gas off the pedal. We have played enough games since the COVID situation for this to not be the excuse for performance level. If you add the quality players into the team it will get better somehow, that’s why recruitment is necessary. There were loads of people asking for Brewster to play instead of going and finding a forward , but like most things, teaching youngsters how to fit into the side and not make mistakes is always going to be a challenge. Both Brewster and Neco Williams had to learn these lessons some time or another. In the meanwhile, I do believe we need a centre back and a midfielder to complete our squad for this season.

Fans play a big part yes, but the team for now need to perform beyond that. That first half where I felt no fluidity from the front 3 and Milner and wijnaldum and their lack of penetration into the opposing defense is the biggest concern.

SBYM

What the fuck do you want?
Ad-free Member
Taki has bulked up quite a bit and it showed in his performance today.

Not really sure why so many folk on here were writing him off based on last season. He was built like a bus ticket when he arrived and it was clear that he would need to gain some weight to make the transition to the PL.
For all you kids out there, a bus ticket is a small cardboard rectangle you used to buy for thruppence before Oyster and contactless cash cards, and the like.

Glory2Anfield

Are you actually serious?
Millions of dollars to make such decisions?
Loose (?) silverware because of such decisions?
How des that work? Maybe Brewster is hammering in pens in training? He hit the fucking crossbar, sloser than Baggio in a World Cup final. I genuinely despair reading this.
It is all about having a killing competitive attitude, first is first, second is nowhere, and third is invisible, who the hell remembers, man city finishing second last year, can not recall who finished third. What about 2 seasons ago.

LFC needs to maintain a killing winning attitude, like Fergy did at man united For 30 years

Incognito

The Normal One
It is all about having a killing competitive attitude, first is first, second is nowhere, and third is invisible, who the hell remembers, man city finishing second last year, can not recall who finished third. What about 2 seasons ago.

LFC needs to maintain a killing winning attitude, like Fergy did at man united For 30 years
The point is you are questioning Klopp and co earning millions unnecessarily because of that one decision of letting Brewster take penalty. It might not be correct in hindsight, and it's okay even if it was wrong. You do not get everything right everytime.

Funny how everytime we lose its always the same old, our midfield needs a revamp, front three don't do anything, we don't spend enough, we are doomed, etc etc. When Klopp asked to be believers, he didn't mean to believe them in bits and pieces.

Yes there are few areas that can be improved surely, but the incessant pessimism makes you wonder we have absolute fools owning and managing us at times. Let's have patience, neither the transfer window has closed, nor are we already out of all competitions of the next season.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...

It was a loss by a penalty hitting the crossbar. In the Charity Shield. That we lost last year on pens.
In between winning the CL and PL.
Its an over dramatic response. 3 points against Arsenal in a few weeks is so much more important

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
The point is you are questioning Klopp and co earning millions unnecessarily because of that one decision of letting Brewster take penalty. It might not be correct in hindsight, and it's okay even if it was wrong. You do not get everything right everytime.

Funny how everytime we lose its always the same old, our midfield needs a revamp, front three don't do anything, we don't spend enough, we are doomed, etc etc. When Klopp asked to be believers, he didn't mean to believe them in bits and pieces.

Yes there are few areas that can be improved surely, but the incessant pessimism makes you wonder we have absolute fools owning and managing us at times. Let's have patience, neither the transfer window has closed, nor are we already out of all competitions of the next season.
Thank you. Exceptional post.

GaryC

Hopefully yesterday’s performance will make Jürgen push Edwards to get the Thiago deal over the line fast. He will provide some unpredictability to our attacks.

Flobs

FADA
Hopefully yesterday’s performance will make Jürgen push Edwards to get the Thiago deal over the line fast. He will provide some unpredictability to our attacks.
Surely it's predictability we need, no?
Like hitting shots on target yesterday one stat gave LFC 8 shots 0 shots on target I can not see how an unpredictable midfielder might change that, do you?
What we need is for Mané to finish simple chances, Firmino to actually create chances and Salah to hit shots on target and get to the end of crosses. Salah was soo bas I feel sorry for Brewster and think to save his carreer Brewster should try to leave. I mean since when has Salah played well in a 4231 as a CF?

Wilkored08

Charity Shield:.... mmmm should have scored more....think Brewster went for glory not a smashed pen....and finally...I suppose the disappointment is we lost, and I, me and we aren't used to being on the losing side, it's not us....Cmon boys get it together and let's smash the lot.

nikz200

I think i more or less agree that we need to be ruthless in many aspects. Fans have been far too lax coming into this new season and other teams have been quietly working away behind the scenes etc.

However, our approach is not completely wrong, while i do not agree with bringing on Brewster at that particular time, i think Jurgen himself has to decide if Brewster will be playing a role in the team rotation or sent out on loan. NecO is also being trialled to see if he will be a reliable understudy for Trent in the long run. I disagreed with a few decisions , but Jurgen had his reasons for them. Milner was supposed to help a young Neco navigate , Wijnaldum was played to give a sort of sturdiness to the midfield. the rest was as of.

Jurgen had his reasons, I'm sure, but there still remains a few notable problems with this team, and people have already pointed out. Since the Athletico Madrid game, there have been holes. We can chalk it up to title fatigue, complacency, fans not in the stadium, but we can only really tell when the season starts against Leeds Utd. Once the league starts, the safety blanket of being last years champions is gone, and we will be judged solely on this season.

We don't have to crucify Klopp or the staff who have done wonders with many of the players. But , Wijnaldum for instance, a decent player , but what he was doing out on the pitch yesterday for that long, i will not know. The front 3 played the whole game, and yet no one will criticise Mane for wasting chances and Firmino for yet another, non committal performance and Salahs non involvement in the game.

the most urgent thing right now is to decide on the 4th CB decision. Cause if we had another CB choice , Gomez would be able to deputize for Trent, ands its for that reason Neco has been thrown into the fire here to be judged. We shall see the rest in due time, hopefully before the window is closed.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
It was a sorry excuse of a performance, particularly in the first half, but let's wait until we've actually played a few more meaningful games before we declare that we're in trouble, shall we?

The biggest trouble so far has been a lack of intensity/urgency and that's nothing that a good bollocking by Klopp can't fix.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Wonder when the new forum starts if we could temper fickleness with realism? League Champions, the murder of Palace a few weeks ago, a poor performance in a "friendly" and people are panicking and bemoaning all things Liverpool.
Poor finishing
Poor Brazilians
Poor passing
Poor penalty by a kid
Poor decisions by Klopp who seemingly gets paid millions to get it right
Poor performance by Williams, another kid filling in for Young Player of the Year, despite Aubameyang tearing established defenders asunder all his career.

Get a grip folks

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Taki has bulked up quite a bit and it showed in his performance today.

Not really sure why so many folk on here were writing him off based on last season. He was built like a bus ticket when he arrived and it was clear that he would need to gain some weight to make the transition to the PL.
guilty as charged.

and whilst writing him off might be too harsh a description, it was really hard to see where he fit in based on his twelve or so pretty harmless performances last season.

hes still got a long way to go to ‘prove me wrong’, I do hope he does so, but to be brutally honest, unless you had access to more than the common fan ( I.e, unless you were watching him in training everyday ) claiming some form of insight that Taki was destined to come good was based on nothing more than optimism.

i know you haven’t claimed that, but my hands up, I honestly fail to see what he added last season.

heres to me being wrong though.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Credit to Arteta for locating our weakness and put his main killer on the case, only took a few minutes for it to pay off. Klopp must have huge faith in Nico for giving such a difficult task instead of someone like milner. same can perhaps be said for Brewster having him take that pen. Is giving young players a bit of experience really worth more than actually winning silverware?! Really dissapointed we didn't take it more serious. Hopefully this was not an indication of anything other than a game that just needed to be done with.

Minamino's impact on the game was the only positive to take from this game I think. He looked really really hungry unlike the rest of the team.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
We lost the Charity Shield last season, as well as losing 3-2 to Dortmund, 2-1 to Sevilla, 3-0 to Napoli and drew 2-2 with Sporting.

Then we won 25 of our first 26 league games.

Pre-season means absolutely nothing - including performances.
Are you trying to say winning it would have meant nothing to you aswell? just admit you're just coping with the fact we lost a trophy to freaking Arsenal. Losing it to Man city back then is not the same no matter how you twist and turn it.

The Big Finn

TIA Youth Team
guilty as charged.

and whilst writing him off might be too harsh a description, it was really hard to see where he fit in based on his twelve or so pretty harmless performances last season.

hes still got a long way to go to ‘prove me wrong’, I do hope he does so, but to be brutally honest, unless you had access to more than the common fan ( I.e, unless you were watching him in training everyday ) claiming some form of insight that Taki was destined to come good was based on nothing more than optimism.

i know you haven’t claimed that, but my hands up, I honestly fail to see what he added last season.

heres to me being wrong though.
Yes you're right that there's a long way to go to 'prove the doubters wrong' but I think based off some flashes last season, it was my view that he looked to have good technical skills but didn't have the physicality needed.

Not saying it was any special insight but I did think that once he'd bulked up a bit his performances would improve. Long way to go to get to the stage to make any judgements either way - and you're right it still is mostly guesswork for a fan to say whether he'll come good.

Sweeting

Are you trying to say winning it would have meant nothing to you aswell? just admit you're just coping with the fact we lost a trophy to freaking Arsenal. Losing it to Man city back then is not the same no matter how you twist and turn it.
Well I had a week in Ibiza planned to celebrate the glorious achievement of winning a pre-season friendly but I guess I'm going to have to cancel it now.

Flobs

FADA
Wonder when the new forum starts if we could temper fickleness with realism? League Champions, the murder of Palace a few weeks ago, a poor performance in a "friendly" and people are panicking and bemoaning all things Liverpool.
Poor finishing
Poor Brazilians
Poor passing
Poor penalty by a kid
Poor decisions by Klopp who seemingly gets paid millions to get it right
Poor performance by Williams, another kid filling in for Young Player of the Year, despite Aubameyang tearing established defenders asunder all his career.

Get a grip folks
Stop complaining! :rolleyes: