• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (ELC 30/11/19)

Man of the match

• Kelleher

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Van den Berg

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Milner [GOAL 42’]

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Lallana

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Keita [off 54’]

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 57’, off 80’]

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Elliot

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Origi [GOAL 62’, GOAL 90+4’]

Votes: 76 65.0%
  • Brewster

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Jones [on 54’]

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Chirivella [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Limiescouse

What the F is the Carabao Cup, and why should I care? I thought I knew my competitions fairly well, but WTF is this? Isn't this another FA Cup? Sorry if I sound a little thick, but I really found this tournament to be something I had never heard before.
The FA cup is open to all registered clubs in England and Wales. This is a second competition that is ope to only those i the top 4 tiers (sometimes called, the football league clubs). It started in the 60s, at least in part, to provide midweek games at stadiums that had recently started installing expensive floodlights that had to be paid for. It's never really had much prestige, but the last 15 years or so it has been considered almost an annoyance by most prem sides.

Limiescouse

I have seen lots of comments about the respective strengths of the two sides, and it needs to be reiterated that was far closer to a PL side for Arsenal than it was for us. With the exception of the lad up front, every single one of those outfield players for Arsenal has been a PL player, with a few of the kids you might not have heard of being given important roles this season and so with a couple of injuries that team might actually be a PL side for them.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
The FA cup is open to all registered clubs in England and Wales. This is a second competition that is ope to only those i the top 4 tiers (sometimes called, the football league clubs). It started in the 60s, at least in part, to provide midweek games at stadiums that had recently started installing expensive floodlights that had to be paid for. It's never really had much prestige, but the last 15 years or so it has been considered almost an annoyance by most prem sides.
Except at Manchester City, where it is clearly more prestigious and desirable than the Champions League.

pxmose

It’s a competition that Liverpool have won more times than any other club...
Thanks Rambler, but does does that mean it's been held once and they won it?:sneaky:

Is it anything of consequence?

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Refs can blow for offside without the linesman flagging it. What are you on about?
How? Have you ever seen a referee blow for offside without the linesman flagging? The linesman is always level with the last defender and the referee never is so can’t judge offside. It’s not the responsibility of the referee to decide who is offside.

Last edited:

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
Why are you blaming Marriner? He is blameless on this occasion. Referees can’t blow for offside without the flag going up. The man to blame is the linesman.
I cannot find the law that stipulates that the referee cannot blow for offside without the assistant ref first raising their flag.

As far as I was aware, as with all officiating decisions in the game, adjudicating offside is ultimately up to the referee, who can overrule the advice, or the lack thereof, of their assistants if they see fit.

Flobs

FADA
How? Have you ever seen a referee blow for offside without the linesman flagging? The linesman is always level with the last defender and the referee never is so can’t judge offside. It’s not the responsibility of the referee to decide who is offside.
Yes, I have witnessed refs blowing for offside without prior 'notification' from the linesman. it really isn't all that uncommon. Also refs ignore linesmans flagging.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Yes, I have witnessed refs blowing for offside without prior 'notification' from the linesman. it really isn't all that uncommon. Also refs ignore linesmans flagging.
I really can’t imagine a scenario at Premier League level where a referee in the position that Marriner was behind the play over-ruling his linesman and blowing for offside. How can he possibly have a better view than the linesman? The referee is not going to position himself so he can see along the line

I agree he can ignore the flag but not because he thinks the linesman was wrong but almost always because a defender got a touch that the linesman hasn’t seen.

Anyway let me know next time you see a ref in the Premier League blow for offside without the linesman’s flag being raised ;)

Magnus

It thankfully happens very rarely, but he is right, it is within their rights and I have seen it happen once or twice. The referee has chief responsibility and is allowed to overrule offsides. I would agree with you though, that when it comes to offsides, the linesman has a lot of responsibility and perhaps more so than the Ref, but they are actually right, it is just rare that refs overrule the linesman.

Clive

The reality is out of the 5 youngsters who started plus Jones who came on, some (possibly a few) of those won’t go on to illustrious LFC careers, some may not even make much of a mark elsewhere either.

But they’ll always have this match, when they were heros for a day and played their part in a famous Anfield night.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I have definitely seen referees overruling the AR's flag for offside but I have never seen a referee call for offside without the AR calling for it simply because how does the referee see an offside before or better than the AR? But that does not mean the referee cannot do it because ultimately he is only person who can decide not the AR.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Just to be clear I didn't say the referee is not allowed to blow for offside without a flag from the linesman. I am sure that does happen in amateur or parks football. I meant I cannot imagine a scenario where it could possibly occur at Premier League level. Anyway VAR has thankfully made this discussion irrelevant now at least as far as reviewing goals is concerned. It only arose because there was no VAR the other night and some posters blamed Marriner for allowing their first goal when he could not realistically have disallowed it without the flag being raised.

Last edited:

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
That thread seems to have really scarred you. You never stop going on about it. Do you need some help?
Ha ha. No I’m fine. I do find though that the touchy subject of bias regularly makes brief appearances in other threads, a bit like the conservatives used to be about Europe before Cameron tried to lance that boil with the referendum. Maybe we need something similar, a final TIA poll to put the question of bias and conspiracies to bed once and for all. Or maybe not given the shit storm the country has sailed into since. Anyway I will not mention it again, leave sleeping dogs etc.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Ha ha. No I’m fine. I do find though that the touchy subject of bias regularly makes brief appearances in other threads, a bit like the conservatives used to be about Europe before Cameron tried to lance that boil with the referendum. Maybe we need something similar, a final TIA poll to put the question of bias and conspiracies to bed once and for all. Or maybe not given the shit storm the country has sailed into since. Anyway I will not mention it again, leave sleeping dogs etc.
You bring it to other threads, to bait.
Most others behave like adults.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team

This week's picture competition is in three parts.

Part 1: What's the technical term for Martinelli , Torreira & Maitland-Niles positions when Saka kicks the ball?

Part 2: And what's the special term for what Torreira becomes, when he kicks the ball?

Part 3: What should happen next?

A special Braille version of this competition is available for Andrea Marriner and Dan Cook.
There is no offside in 5-a-side football. Oh wait......yep, that is officially mental.