• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (ELC 30/11/19)

Man of the match

• Kelleher

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Van den Berg

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Milner [GOAL 42’]

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Lallana

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Keita [off 54’]

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 57’, off 80’]

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Elliot

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Origi [GOAL 62’, GOAL 90+4’]

Votes: 76 65.0%
  • Brewster

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Jones [on 54’]

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Chirivella [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SBYM

La presión es para neumáticos
Ad-free Member
Phew. What a match. Absolutely made up with and for the kids. A few things went against us tonight (some by our own hand) but nobody hid. I thought that Sepp struggled a bit in the first half but had plenty of touches throughout the second half he was always available for the ball when he was needed. I thought that on paper the Arse's starting line up looked stronger than our's. So, fair dos to our lads for holding them in normal time and prevailing in the penalty shoot out. I'm hoping for a home tie against either Oxford or Colchester in the QFs so that we can go with the kids again.

Happy Birthday @Scott Jones, Hope you got everything you wished yourself for your birthday. (y)
Don't leave us hanging!!

Did you get the hat?

trygve76

TIA New Signing
I love what some of these kids are showing. The match was crazy, obviously, but Curtis Jones? Come on, give him a run-out.

RedLar

Lynch04

Smeg Head
Great game but a weird one for MoM. So many sloppy mistakes, i cant believe Elliot has got so many votes....and this is a compliment to him, that, he has been so good in his brief appearances that I am pulling him up.

I went Lallana, had a few sloppy moments but just pulled the strings. I stated about 3 years ago when he was fit that this maybe a role he could revert to with his skill set.
Thought Kelleher had a good game, some good saves and clever ball use. Don’t recall any of the goals being his fault.
Special mention should go to Nico Williams, i thought he put a solid performance in, showing determination and at times good technique, and Jones.

Btw, does anyone think Chrivella could have a future? I know he was highly thought of when we signed him but has stagnated and had a transfer or two fall through but he does seem like a player with a footballing brain.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Had to go out at 1-3,and wasn't confident,get back to check 3 hrs later and find this ,unfuckinbelievable!
The boys did us proud,not interested in tossing any out yet,but am starting to wonder about Keita.
Will have a look before going for a MOTM,but seems there may be a few.
Incidentally,Klopp talking about pulling out of this would only be lighting a fire under the powers that be...at this stage!

jaffod

Tbh that was pretty shambolic for long periods with possession being coughed up in dangerous areas of the pitch and awful defending gifting Arsenal goal after goal. A couple of our lads were well out of their depth tonight and the experienced players were generally poor so to come out of it with a draw just shows the sheer bloody-mindedness of these players and the absolute refusal to give up. I'd have gladly taken the final whistle after that diabolical 4th goal we conceded because I could see them getting 6 or 7. Our 3rd and 4th goals were belters though.
It's clear VDB is not ready and probably wouldn't have played if it hadn't been for the Matip injury. Brewster struggled again but I was impressed with Williams and Elliot and with Jones when he came on.

I don't normally comment on the opposition after our games but I'm making an exception tonight. Arsenal as a club have sunk to depths not seen for a couple of decades. I thought they were a fucking embarrassment tonight on and off the pitch. Small time. Celebrating goals against our youth players as if was the fucking CL final. Substitutes running across the pitch to join in the pathetic group jerk off behind the goal.
At one stage in the first half the away end went through the full repertoire of shite away end songs in the space of 15 minutes. It was like listening to fucking Stoke or Newcastle supporters. When did it all go so wrong for them? I used to think Arsenal fans were different to the bellends who follow the other top 6 clubs but not after tonight. Maybe it's because they wont be a top 6 club much longer. "How shit are you, we're winning away". No you're not, you're losing again to our youth team you bad dickheads.

Last edited:

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Klopp is spot on, effectively the PL has used every spare week to fill with PL games, if Liverpool make it past the 3rd round and into the Semi Finals it then becomes a major headache as effectively Liverpool will have to miss its break (which I think is mandatory). It is the PL who may have to move a game.

I think there might be enough space if Liverpool don’t get any fa cup 3rd or 4th round replays. It’s the fault of the PL they’ve organised this really badly, that Westham game in Mid December probably won’t be played til the clocks go forward.

If we do drop out out I hope Colchester and Oxford get us as that would probably mean two semi final ties against another big PL side and will help them with money.

Last edited:

XMarlin

Didn't get chance to watch the game here in the U.S....

Listened to it on Talksport though. What a match..

Well done to the lads, and well done JK for going for it showing our depth.

So many emotions and thoughts, but this squad earned their places in the next round. Well done all..

So, Allison in goal for the premier league, Adrian for the FA cup and Kelleher for Carabao etc...

We may not have the money but we sure as hell have the talent and supporters.

Thanks to our supporters who supported our lads into injury time and then through the penalty kick phase.

So proud to be a Liverpool supporter tonight!!!

P.S.....FSG...If you're listening...please give Milner a contract....

nobluff

Official TIA Match Thread Starter
Wow, insane game. The team just didn't give up. I am thrilled that this mindset is spreading like a virus, all the players are showing this quality.

It would be perfect to get a favorable draw for the next round as I would like to see the same mix of youth and experience for at least one more round. If its a City, United or Everton draw, the lineup changes.

• Kelleher, good. Some nice saves, pity the defense were second to the ball once he made the save.
  • Williams, he looked really, really good.
  • Gomez and Van den Berg, very hit and miss, started extremely well. Way too many mistakes.
  • Milner, just solid most of the time. I was once again totally relaxed for both of his penalties. I wish they would just give him a contract extension already. At least make a 1 year offer. I know we have good players coming through, or are on loan, however if they can not keep him out the team, then they need to bide their time and improve.
  • Lallana, one of the players I moan most about, very good.
  • Keita was awful. He is the player I really looked forward to seeing in a Liverpool shirt. He has had enough good games for us, he just needs consistency and good health.
  • Ox, brilliant. He will make a difference this year.
  • Elliot also had a fantastic game, 16 years old, seriously!
  • Origi, my motm.
  • Brewster, I am getting a bit concerned (not with his quality, with getting off the mark), anonymous for a lot of the game. He really needs to break his duck, or else I fear it will be another Solanke situation where the anchor just gets too much.
  • Jones, changed the game when he came on for Keita.

jabu

TIA New Signing
so happy to bits for the kids, showed so much heart. who gives a fuck about defending. it was a free for all. really happy for the kids... Keita didn't do himself any favors tonight. didn't look like he wanted to be there. Its starting to look like its a mental thing with him..

Commando

Ad-free Member
@Commando to steal DT's hat on the way home from the game?

Don't leave us hanging!!

Did you get the hat?

Weird, but I was wearing my bush hat tonight (long story, I'll explain later. (Paul the badge man)). When I came out from the the match tonight, I had the DT having his hat robbed video in my head. I took my own hat off and held it (just in case anyone tried to nick it) as I made my way to my nephew's car and our very quick drive home.

So, NO. I didn't get his hat. Why would I? Have you seen the state of it? I've got a lovely pink bush hat with five stars on it. I bought a lovely red bush hat with six lovely European Cups on it in August. It turns out that heads have grown over the fourteen years since I last purchased a bush hat. I've had come to send it away to be tailored to fit my head.

COYR YNWA

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I just want to add that the Klopp era is fucking exhausting me....... in a good way, but I am shattered.
I know this sounds crazy. I wouldn't want it any other way. He has invigorated us to love the game again and the believe in our team, in ourselves, no matter what the adversity, we can get through this. We are lucky to be around at this moment in time.

Red over the water

Well done you red men. Made up for the youngsters. Mentality giants is a motif running throughout the club. They are all at it. OK, tonight had mistakes and so on, but the point wasn’t so much that stuff, but rather a group of lads who refused to lie down and lose.

I can’t be doing with having a go at any of the young players. Sepp might not make it? I read that earlier in the thread. Are you kidding me! Give the lad a chance. He has years to prove himself.

I am concerned about Keita. He hasn’t shown us enough in the time he has been here and he has suffered with niggly injuries. It’s not do or die for him, but I get the sense that he will have to show more as the season unfolds, or else we will enter the market decisively to get what we need.

Mind you, take a bow Curtis Jones. The attacking midfielder we need might already be on the books. I’m hoping Keita will shine. If not, someone like Havertz would be very good. But who knows what Curtis Jones might become? The lad can play, that’s for sure.

Final word for Klopp. Well said. Everyone knows there is too much football. Leaving the increasingly bloated international game aside, we are dealing with ridiculous congestion and at some point it has to be their problem, not ours. We will get some stick if we end up dropping out of the Carabao, but nothing changes unless someone takes a stand.

Two domestic cup competitions is too much. Bin the league cup, or at least remove the Prem teams from it. It can be done. File under European Cup Winners Cup. History.

Last edited:

Incognito

The Normal One
You miss one game and you miss 19 goals. I mean what luck, worst game one can miss! So happy for the young lads. Saw the highlights and that was crazy from Origi. Both those goals, that turn and finish and then the overhead one, pure filth. Ox's screamer was immense as well, finally someone after stevie who can shoot and score from outside the box if there's just no fcking option.

PS. My fantasy league jinx is so strong that I have ceballos and he misses penalty in cup game that has no relation to FPL. Lol.

PPS said the below before the game and Emery is really something isn't he? Only Ox's goal wasn't a winner. This was fun! :)

Good ebening boo boys! Emery will definitely start Ozil because that'll be the most Emery thing he can do. Would love an Ox winner to rub in more to their wounds

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Fair weather fan here. Ordinarily, these days I get up at 5:30 on Thursday mornings. But today I didn't have to, so I thought "It's only the Caribou Cup, so bugger it I'll have a lie-in". I then get up at at 7:30 and only to discover that the wi-fi wasn't working. So I start the day not knowing the result. After some strenuous gardening I come back into the house to find that my wife had worked her magic and the wi-fi had been restored.

Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Five fucking five! Incredible! I just hope today doesn't continue to be a series of bad choices and things going wrong.

I take it Jones was pretty impressive then? No, not that one. I mean the one that's in second place in MotM.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
This match is quite amazing is that both teams scored a couple of amazing goals, full of young potentials....honestly I think there is a couple of Arsenal youths in there that could do better under Klopp hurhurhur.....

RedYank

Fortunately, the pub has ESPN+ so was able to take a "Red flu" late afternoon (save the "dental appointments" for CL mid weeks) and catch this one.

Both hair-pulling, and joyous all in one. Not that this match was the end-all, but I am an avaricious silverware coveting sot, so bring more! And these youngsters--what form and energy for their age! I did find myself a bit critical of young Van den Berg, but the talent is there. Msrs Elliott, Brewster and Jones are top shelf! Then our Divok!

And will these guys upstairs kindly get James Milner another contract?!

What a brilliant match. Like the Boss said: this one was a lot of fun.

Dave-D

WOOF!
Well who would of thought it 5-5 and through on pens, that’ll give the youngsters a massive boost.

Didn’t watch whole game was at work but kept an eye on the action when I could so just went with MOTM from what I’d seen.

Those youngster have a fantastic mentality from 1-0 up to 3-1 down I thought that was it, then after bringing it back to 4-4 Arsenal scoring again I thought they can’t come back again can they and oh was I wrong :LOL: So then The icing on the cake they won it on penalties :D

For all the youngsters that’ll be an experience they’ll never forget and they all deserved every minute of it.

Also loved the way Klopp was stood there watching and smiling it was if he knew they’d pull it out the bag.

Now I’ll have to tune in to radio 2 tomorrow morning for the next round draw :LOL:

Joe Gomez x

What’s so impressive about our performance is that the youngsters were basically ‘thrown’ into a senior game against a top-class side without much (if any) proper support from our more senior players and we still managed to keep coming back and end up winning the game.

LFCFFC

What a fucking plank I am.

I figured Arsenal would field a relatively strong team and knowing Klopp's committment to giving our U21s/U18s a run out, decided I'd give this one a miss as I expected a loss and it was a 3.30am kick off.

Can't really comment on any specifics since I'm just running off a highlights package (a quite extensive one it has to be said), but that's just an utterly insane result. While the goals were all scored by more senior members of the team, I'm so proud of the youngsters who all had a hand in the build up and never gave up after repeatedly falling behind.

The only real negative I can see is Naby. I'm beginning to fear for his Liverpool career. He needs a big second half of the season because I still think his best is incredibly useful in our system, but these constant niggling injuries are a worry.

Oh, and the ridiculous call on here saying a 17 year old CB on his Liverpool debut definitely won't make it. Christ on a bike.

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Klopp is spot on, effectively the PL has used every spare week to fill with PL games, if Liverpool make it past the 3rd round and into the Semi Finals it then becomes a major headache as effectively Liverpool will have to miss its break (which I think is mandatory). It is the PL who may have to move a game.

I think there might be enough space if Liverpool don’t get any fa cup 3rd or 4th round replays. It’s the fault of the PL they’ve organised this really badly, that Westham game in Mid December probably won’t be played til the clocks go forward.

If we do drop out out I hope Colchester and Oxford get us as that would probably mean two semi final ties against another big PL side and will help them with money.
What if.... stay with me here......what if the carAbo cup takes the place of last years “warm weather” breaks / maybe a good thing?

Danny_

Ox's goal was the best part of this for me. Just fantastic to see him getting it back. He has to be on the bench at least against Villa. I really couldn't give a [email protected] about the league cup but at least, it gives the youngsters and fringe players a chance to shine.