• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Arsenal (ELC 30/11/19)

Man of the match

• Kelleher

Votes: 11 9.4%
  • Williams

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Gomez

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Van den Berg

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Milner [GOAL 42’]

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Lallana

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Keita [off 54’]

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [GOAL 57’, off 80’]

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Elliot

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Origi [GOAL 62’, GOAL 90+4’]

Votes: 76 65.0%
  • Brewster

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Jones [on 54’]

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Chirivella [on 80’]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
what a result to see on waking up! then to watch the highlights that still sent me into a thrill/excited mode, that I regret not getting up for it. wife would have given me an earful, but it would have been worth it.
kudos to the young, better still, very young lads to keep fighting and believing in the team.

alaskared

Kloppite
Didn't get chance to watch the game here in the U.S....
ESPN+ $4.99/month has Carabao Cup games live and replays available about 30 minutes after game ends. Also lots of great Serie A games.

We weren't great from a technical standpoint ( Ox and Origi goals apart), especially on the heels of the Spurs performance but we always BELIEVED.
That is all Klopp. He made a point to tell the supporters to stop leaving early, stop giving up before the final whistle and look at us now, players and supporters keep making it happen.
It doesn't matter if we make mistakes every 3 minutes like we did tonight we still have the will and belief that we are going to win. You can't put a price on that.
Elated for the kids on the pitch, the kids on the bench and so grateful for Klopp as our manager, he took more pleasure in the kids joy than anything else about the game. What an outstanding human.

Herb

When is the winter break? In January we have over a week between Sheffield Utd at Home and Spurs away, and then again between that Spurs game and United at home. I’m guessing the fixture would be played midweek around then.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Have seen the highlights now... this is probably one of the most entertaining and at the same time ridiculous games in a long, long time. So many defensive and positional errors for the goals, on both sides. Then again, there are wonderful attacking moments too. Ox' goal has to go down as one of the most beautiful goals scored this season. Arsenal's 5-4 isn't bad either (everyone must have thought then that it was the winner). Origi's scissor-kick at the last second from an absolutely beautiful cross, what the... o_O

All that being said, our young lads should have won this before full-time. Arsenal's equaliser for the 1-1 is a clear and obvious offside, it should never have stood. Then we should have had a penalty in the first half which was denied by Marriner. Two obvious and crass mistakes from him which had a big influence on the game, especially the first one.

Then, all these mistakes at the back, basically an open door in midfield for some of the Arsenal goals... Milner of all people handing that absolute gift to Arsenal for the 4-2...

But the spirit in this young team must have been sensational, to come back so many times despite of all these set-backs, and finally keeping their nerves and winning the shoot-out. You have to draw the hat to them, they deserve all the plaudits coming their way. And Arsenal deserve plaudits too for making a good football game of this. They must feel mentally destroyed after this scenario, but our lads won't care. They qualify for the next round.

God knows when that game will be played, but it doesn't matter: play the boys and let them gather more experience. They obviously need it! :LOL:

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
My take on last night was it was a fun, disjointed performance which ultimately ended in victory.

It’s difficult to assess the performances as the back 4 and keeper were so young and untried it was unreal.

I would say that Keita and Gomez look so void of confidence it’s hard to know what will break it. The keita we all saw playing in Germany is not the one in Liverpool, and Gomez has regressed. Perhaps they both need a consistent run in the game. Maybe only playing here and there is disrupting their rhythm. Who knows.

And Brewster needs to start taking these chances. Every game I see him he looks out of his depth.

But otherwise I’m pleased with that last. Mainly because it gives us another chance at seeing our kids again in the next round.

And prediction for the draw is Man City at home to the lowest ranked team left.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
Did my back patting in anearlier post. Just 3 negatives for me. Keita was not firing even before his injury which is one reason why the defence was so open at times, not enough in MF to hold the opposition up. Pity he is injured yet again. Chirivella not a negative but I suspect he will be away in Jan.
Biggest negative is the way some "fans" are so quick to write youngsters off and be over critical. Gomez seems to be the new Hendo for some. He hardly put a foot wrong , helped young Nico out a few times and was covering for a nervy Sepp . Main reason the B$ were over run at times was because the MF was over run. The excellent Ox made a blunder that led to one goal, star of the future Elliot put them in trouble for another . Lala played well but did not break things up Fab style and Keita was missing a lot of the time. Therefore the B$ were often out numbered . For me Gomez is a quality CB or RB , reads the game well and is very quick. Sepp struggled at times but also had some good moments and I would not be surprised to see him have a good career at the club.

Sweeting

Has Zoe Ball forgotten she is supposed to be doing the draw? Its 5 minutes afted the alloted time and she's been talking to someone about beaches and now playing the Timewarp song.

Noo Noo

Didn't really see a lot of this one. Did catch the end before my stream collapsed half way through the penalty shoot out. Great one.

Not sure if I'd have been happy watching it or tearing my hair out.

That was nuts.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Lets just play it the same day as the CWC and just literally play our U23s team.

Kelleher
Williams VDBerg Boyes Larouci
Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Christie-Davies
Elliott Brewster Jones
I was thinking this same thought earlier this morning. I'd rather that than shoehorning yet another fixture into our busy Christmas schedule.

liverpool8

Liverpool fixture congestion, price of success.
Minimum for a PL club, PL 38, LC 1, FAC 1, total 40.
Liverpool max this season, with poss FAC3 and FAC4 replays.
PL 38, CL 13, LC 6, FAC 8, FACS 1, ESC 1, CWC 2, total 69.

koptician

We'll go again!
Look, anyone who’s played football at whatever level...we’ve all been there. You are excited/nervous and make passes in wrong areas. Or you overhit/underhit passes. And it does spread even to the experienced players sometimes. Imagine that plus the pressure of playing at Anfield...against Arsenal! The kids will definitely be better for it.
The key for me was how they didn’t give up and kept driving on despite the mistakes. Anfield crowd TAKE A BOW!!! You knew how to look after your kids through the pressure situation. The singing getting even louder after they score...I’m welling up just remembering it!
All their goals were from fairly simple defensive mistakes by us which should be easy to rectify (overcommiting, not marking your man, underhit passes, passes in bad areas)...while we pretty much had to create all our goals. Despite what some say I thought Brewster played well. He helped make a lot of space for everyone. He was clearly tightly marked because he is a known threat. We didn’t do the same for Martinelli. No matter, we will learn. Big Div. WHAT a player!!! I reckon he can get even better with more playing time!
Gutted for Keita. Hope it’s nothing major. I am convinced he wasn’t physically right for this match. Saw him against Manure and Genk and you could see by his movement and commitment that he was physically better then. Hope he recovers soon.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Look, anyone who’s played football at whatever level...we’ve all been there. You are excited/nervous and make passes in the wrong areas. Or you undue hit/over hit passes. And it does spread even to the experienced players sometimes. Imagine that plus the pressure of playing at Anfield...against Arsenal! The kids will definitely be better for it.
The key for me was how they didn’t give up and kept driving on despite the mistakes. Anfield crowd TAKE A BOW!!! You knew how to look after your kids through the pressure situation. The singing getting even louder after they score...I’m welling up just remembering it!
All their goals were from fairly simple defensive mistakes by us which should be easy to rectify (overcommiting, not marking your man, underhit passes, passes in bad areas)...while we pretty much had to create all our goals. Despite what some say I thought Brewster played well. He helped make a lot of space for everyone. He was clearly tightly marked because he is a known threat. We didn’t do the same for Martinelli. No matter, we will learn. Big Div. WHAT a player!!! I reckon he can get even better with more playing time!
Gutted for Keita. Hope it’s nothing major. I am convinced he wasn’t physically right for this match. Saw him against Manure and Genk and you could see by his movement and commitment that he was physically better then. Hope he recovers soon.
Speak for yourself. :LOL: ;)

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
We had 6 shots on target and scored 5 goals. Not a bad hit rate. Their keeper was absolutely hopeless.
Lets just play it the same day as the CWC and just literally play our U23s team.

Kelleher
Williams VDBerg Boyes Larouci
Dixon-Bonner Clarkson Christie-Davies
Elliott Brewster Jones
This is unlikely given the fuss JK has made about rearranging the date but agree this is the most sensible thing to do. We are just delaying the inevitable in this competition by deferring the date. Are we really going to play a team much stronger than the one you've listed here regardless of when it's played? The congestion in January (when we traditionally have a dip in form anyway) is going to be horrendous and even then if we got through against Villa there's a 2 legged semi final to play which will probably be against City or United. I want to see us win things but you have to be realistic about it. We just don't have the squad to cover every competition, not this season anyway.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I have no issues with the kids making mistakes its all part of the process but they need the senior players to help them through matches and last night they didnt get much help (bar Origi).

Im think im done with Keita now. I dont think he has what it takes to succeed in Premier League football. He's either carrying a knock or on the fringes of the game. Yes he done OK against United in a cameo but he just cant get a decent run in the team.

Time to sell him and get someone else in. Hes' been here season and half weve seen nothing from him apart from a few bits here and there

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Contrary to most I think that Brewster had a good game. Certainly better than against MK Dons as he was far more engaged and active and had a hand in Origi's 95th minute equaliser. Van Den Berg struggled in the first half but improved considerably in the second. The youngsters in general shouldn't be a cause for concern as they all did well in one way or another. Besides, it's impossible to judge players who don't have minutes with the first team. Klopp refers to rhythm all the time and he is absolutely right; take a look at Gomez and how out of sorts he looks after coming back from his injury. And he has played enough games at this level to know what's required. None of the young ones have that luxury. The fact that they never gave up and they kept on coming after all the errors makes the comeback even more remarkable.

Keita on the other hand is a worry. He just doesn't seem able to stay fit and it's a pity because the quality is there.

Why worry City will get Colchester..

*Edit - Of course.. City get Oxford and Utd get Colchester...
Ridiculously predictable

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I have no issues with the kids making mistakes its all part of the process but they need the senior players to help them through matches and last night they didnt get much help (bar Origi).

Im think im done with Keita now. I dont think he has what it takes to succeed in Premier League football. He's either carrying a knock or on the fringes of the game. Yes he done OK against United in a cameo but he just cant get a decent run in the team.

Time to sell him and get someone else in. Hes' been here season and half weve seen nothing from him apart from a few bits here and there
Indeed he has not shown anything near consistently why we were so hot on his trails. No one knows whether he ever will of course. Patience is needed other than the fact it is necessary but at this point nobody is going to take him on except some cheapskate italian team trying the loan thing.

The good thing is we never really depended on him to get thus far, having a great Keita is a bonus but we do not lack players in MF now so with that kind of space and time, I think Klopp is going to jeep faith with him a little while more.

Gazmaninaus

I just noticed Evertons draw. I really hope the league gives them a participation certificate. Their fans deserve something from the season.

Gazmaninaus

In regards to Keita. It would be heart breaking to continually get new injuries. It’s maybe time to put him aside and let him heal. However the Ox would be counting his blessings.