• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 24/8/19 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Matip [GOAL 41’]

Votes: 71 39.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • Wijaldum [off 69’]

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, GOAL 59’]

Votes: 128 70.7%
  • Firmino [off 86’]

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Mane [off 77’]

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Milner [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 77’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lallana [on 86’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Due to mix up with time differences missed the match.

Looked like a great game from the highlights. Judging from a 5” screen and 5 minutes of highlights Salah looked like his 2017/2018 form. The confidence in both the penalty and the third goal clear.

Is that a misconception? Or does he look like he is hitting top form again ?

scouseheadross

Septical
"Our identity is intensity."

Trying to think of a more total display in recent times. Arsenal were decent but we demolished them. Bit crap as I'd hope more teams would try to cram the middle and give Trent and Andy so much space. Played to our strengths.

We're used to all individuals giving 7 and 8/10s but when theyre all doing 9s and the team is working like a 9/10, all familiar with the system so team mates are slotting in without thinking, then it's going to be tough to play against. I'd gate to play LFC. A back four that looks like a back five in dominance and the way the full backs get forward. And the best front three in world footie. Arsenal not far behind. A meat grinder in midfield. Milner looked well pissed coming off the bench.

Next?

Redopium

Very good performance all over the pitch today, first half Arsenal defended in numbers and pumped long balls up pitch to try and catch out our high line defending, after Matips goal they had to come out and attack us which suited us, so it was a matter of how many for us until we took our foot off the gas in last 10-15 mins and allowed a consolation goal for them, but overall a great day for us and thoroughly deserved, Salah was fantastic and man of match.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Another lovely performance. One player for me stood out amongst all others. When Arsenal decided to park the Mourinho in the first few minutes and play a counter-attacking game, he reacted almost instantly. Being pretty much the only player to work it forward with one touch intricate chips to our forwards instead of predictably playing it square to TAA every time, and that is our captain. Again worked his bollocks off all game to go with that excellent delivery.

1. Hendo
2. Matip
3. Salah

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Played with the confidence of European champions. Arsenal played like a bottom 3 club fighting for survival. We were always a step ahead, passing quicker, and won a lot of balls from high octane pressing. Arsenal tried to pass their way out from the back but often never got further than just outside their own box.

Even at 2-0 and 3-0, they stuck to playing ultra defensive and counter chances that didnt really materialise as Liverpool were watching for the breaks.
They looked like a one trick pony. As we played the ball around at the back, inviting them to attack us, we were actually doing it in THEIR half ! Even then they couldnt get the ball back.

Could have easily hit 6 on an other day, no fault in our team, we looked very impressive, confident, adept, inventive, fast. Better than last season? Maybe early days, but and impressive start to the season.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Battered them as always at Anfield.

Lovely stuff.

What is quite fun is that they were clearly much better than last season and yet there was a point in that game where it looked like we were going to win it 6/7/8-0.
Tbh I thought their setup was appalling. I'm glad we never were interested in Auba as he's such a waste of space in these away games where the other teams are expected to have the bulk of possession. Doesn't come close to working hard enough. A narrow midfield against us given the way we use FBs?? WTF!?

FGred

I expected a far harder game but Émeri bottled it, what is the point of buying fast players but asking them to defend all the time. DL has just confirmed he’s a liability. The score flattered them at one point I thought we should have been 7:0.
The whole team were totally focused for a stonking game but ended shifting into second gear. Burnley will be far harder next WE COYR YNWA

Red over the water

They had a couple of chances, Pepe 1 v 1 should have scored but he hit it straight at Adrian, Aubameyang dinked a lob wide, and then they scored a late consolation. Apart from that we were well on top and we controlled it quite easily.

Mo looked very sharp and VVD had Pépé in his pocket. After a week to prepare our level went up a notch. The whole team played well. The table looks nice but it’s early days.

Nice to see Man Utd lose. Everton too. A good weekend will become a great weekend if Harry Wilson scores a cracker and it makes Man City drop points, but thats probably too much to expect! We did our job, and if we continue to do that, we will have a good season.

Incognito

The Normal One
On a more serious note, with respect to Arsenal I can see them finishing top 4 this season. Had they taken their chances they would have got closer in this game. Winning at Anfield was never going to be easy for them. And they do miss their first choice full backs - Tierney and Bellerin.

Think they'll easily beat the bottom clubs with their attacking prowess. Their defence is what may let them down like Rodgers' Liverpool. Whatever they get from against the top 6 sides will decide how easily they'll be in the mix for top 4. But the probability looks better than the likes of Chelsea and ManUtd for sure. Period.

treboeth

They had a couple of chances, Pepe 1 v 1 should have scored but he hit it straight at Adrian, Aubameyang dinked a lob wide, and then they scored a late consolation. Apart from that we were well on top and we controlled it quite easily.

Mo looked very sharp and VVD had Pépé in his pocket. After a week to prepare our level went up a notch. The whole team played well. The table looks nice but it’s early days.

Nice to see Man Utd lose. Everton too. A good weekend will become a great weekend if Harry Wilson scores a cracker and it makes Man City drop points, but thats probably too much to expect! We did our job, and if we continue to do that, we will have a good season.

All we expect and all we want from Klopp and the boys.

Let the others worry about us and chase us all season.

Dimitriy

Just finished watching the game. The difference between the teams is 3 goals (discarding the nuances). I am a bit pissed at TAA, about their goal. This kind of situations are generaly detrimental for the defence. It was 3:0, he should have kicked it in the stands and, let the defence prepare...
I am surprised they went "Jose", defending with 9-10 players. I like what I saw. The game plan is progresing in quality...Ah yes, Mane will destroy Burnley :)

Glory2Anfield

In general all LFC players play very good, so I pick MOM based on a player who demonstrates he has improved his skill level the most.

MOM for me was Hendo, today was one of those rare occasions were Hendo played for LFC , like he plays for England. Today Hendo was all over the field asking for the ball to be passed to him and making many great passes through the lines with great accuracy. Obviously this type of passing has more failures then simple passing. When ever Hendo lost the ball , he tried very hard to get it back, or ran back at fast speed to provide cover.

All last year the midfield played awful, no one could pass the ball through the lines. LFC was probably going to buy an attacking midfielder worth $80 million to solve this problem. Hendo played today like the player LFC needed to buy. So his improvement has saved LFC a fortune.

Hendo playing higher is a huge improvement

LFC played brilliant today for the first 75 minutes then took a the foot of the gas, saving energy for next week

Last edited:

theres always tommorrow

If we win it this year I’m changing my name tag
On the way back from the game. Very enjoyable game against an Arsenal side with one or two good new additions. Made no difference though, we outplayed them in both halves.

Control, pace, class in every position....this is a Liverpool team on a mission. We are going to win the league.

Nur der BvB09

Tbh I thought their setup was appalling. I'm glad we never were interested in Auba as he's such a waste of space in these away games where the other teams are expected to have the bulk of possession. Doesn't come close to working hard enough. A narrow midfield against us given the way we use FBs?? WTF!?
Auba is a elite Player and IF he would have the Chance to Play under Klopp once again, he ll be on fire IMO.
i had the pleasure to see him lots of time live in Germany and it was a joy. He and Lewandowski shared through the years the goolden boot in germany courtesy of someone who manage the LFC