• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 24/8/19 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Matip [GOAL 41’]

Votes: 71 39.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • Wijaldum [off 69’]

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, GOAL 59’]

Votes: 128 70.7%
  • Firmino [off 86’]

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Mane [off 77’]

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Milner [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 77’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lallana [on 86’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

treboeth

Never Seen a more dominant performance against a Arsenal team in my memory. Thought it was the best performance since the win against BARCELONA. Every player was so perfect I can't pick one negative. Thought this game would have a huge challenge but we were on fire. Gave my MOM to Mo but it could have been any of the other boys. Brilliant.
Bobby didn`t score :-(

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
The studio team on my French broadcast were going on about Arsenals great tactics. Since when was getting out played a tactic?
Folks on nbcsn in America went great pains to explain how utterly useless, naive, and idiotic Arsenal’s tactics were.

Got really boring and annoying, but I’d say they were closer to the truth than the French.

Red over the water

We look like such a mature team - no panic, just everyone doing their job, in control, with multiple ways to hurt the opposition. We have bags of quality, but there’s a maturity in the performances that’s impressing me. We look all-business, like we really want that title.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Best moment of the match for me was the press around the 22nd minute. We had I thnk 6 playes pressing aand covering every angle less than 30 ft from their goal, Mane intercepting the pass in their own box. That would have been the perfect goal for me.

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Im not saying anything but statically, we have won 100% of the games that I have watched live in Anfield
I hope you had a lovely time at our spiritual home Anfield and soaked up the atmosphere and got to do abit of sightseeing around the city too.

With regards to the match. Well, I thought we were in for a tough 90 minutes, but I thought we would have a scrappy 2-1 win. The way the pundits were going on all week how Arsenal's front 3 was equal to our front 3 and this Pepe was the greatest newcomer to the EPL since sliced bread and also David Luiz was a supposedly excellent addition.

Well, I needn't have worried so much, it was all fine on the day. The team were powerful, intense and ruthless. They were in control for most of the game. What a great match. I thought It Arsenal looked dangerous in the first half but, the Matip's header goal came at a good time. Mo was back to his blistering self, the way he glided past the Arsenal's defence for his 2nd goal, it was a beauty. Bobby as usual was up to his usual mesmerising magic tricks and awed the audience. Henderson was absolutely magnificent. Our Captain ran his socks off. He is our unsung hero.

The lads worked hard, got the 3 points against one of our main rivals. So happy. They can relax a bit now.
T
MOTM- I wish I could give it to the whole team, they all deserved it. However, if the poll insists. I give it to Jordan Henderson, Captain of a European and Super European winning team:celebrating::cheers:

Last edited:

treboeth

Im not saying anything but statically, we have won 100% of the games that I have watched live in Anfield
so what about the rumour that some awful forum member started that you were detained for an attempted streak

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Great result. Couldn't watch the game but reading the reports in here, it seems to have been a cracking game from our lads. No mean feat to comprehensively beat an in-form Arsenal team, although the goals seem to have come at good moments for us.

One week again to rest and train. Our lads go from strength to strength, it's a great start to the season. :)

Burnley away next. It will be tough, but our lads can go there and win, no doubt about that.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
A really good performance today, I expected the game to be much closer after all the media hype around Arsenal, but we were on another level to them. However, I was not happy conceding a goal because I think we switched off for the last 15 minutes. But maximum points fro 3 games isn’t too shabby is it?

Flobs

FADA
Best moment of the match for me was the press around the 22nd minute. We had I thnk 6 playes pressing aand covering every angle less than 30 ft from their goal, Mane intercepting the pass in their own box. That would have been the perfect goal for me.
When you see stuff like that it just goes to sho how good VVD and Matip are and how much confidence the team have in them. They were great at snuffing out Arsenals attempted counters. Both getting a foot in when needed. Matip was really impressive today and got his goal to prove it.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Fucking fuming at Henderson for falling asleep and costing the clean sheet, which led to an unnecessary slightly nervy finish. (And his brain fart in the first half to boot)

Loving the three points, but miss the tightness at the back. Come on now, Bournemouth.

Flobs

FADA
Fucking fuming at Henderson for falling asleep and costing the clean sheet, which led to an unnecessary slightly nervy finish. (And his brain fart in the first half to boot)

Loving the three points, but miss the tightness at the back. Come on now, Bournemouth.
I thought that goal was the fault of the defense. Seeing where TAA was stuck you just don't come out in line like that. I was so shocked by this that I didn't notice anything else. So don't take this as a defense of Henderson's actions or lack of them. I was howling and rubbing my eyes in disbelief. We really must get that sort of thing sorted out. :)

Clive

It’s becoming a fixture to look forward to, Arsenal at home and normal service was resumed here.

Only thing really went wrong was the main camera of the host broadcast in the first half.

A quick comment, Matip now looks assured as VVD’s partner for now. Classy performance from him, especially when you look at what Arsenal have.

Three from three and clear on top, whilst missing our world class goalkeeper, can’t complain!

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Another top result,keep going like we mean to keep going.
Top of the league,clearly now,let the others play catch up!
The game...we are looking good,may have relaxed in the last 15 mins or so,but it was a joy to watch.
Mo back on song,Bobby was great,even without getting on the scoresheet.Matip was great too.
MOTMhard,agree with others 11 would be good,but Bobby for me ,close with Mo,Matip,and Hendo.

CanuckoLFC

Ghost in the Shell SAC
Didn't get home until the match was already 20 minutes in, so I did miss the almost cocked up by Adrian mad rush out of the box. :eek:

Perhaps it was due to the constant stream interruptions (actually, most likely because our boys were playing and controlling the game so well), I did not get any sweaty palms while watching the game.

Happy with the results. My 3 players of the match:
Hendo,
Matip,
Mo.

It was really a toss up between Gini and Hendo, but Hendo got the vote since he was on the pitch for the full match.

Perth Red

Rolling with crocs in Darwin
I actually thought Arsenal played pretty well. Limited us to crossing continuously in the first half with minimal return and had a few good chances on the break. The pressing, though, was immense and could have reaped results so overall the first half could have gone either way. Once the first goal went in it was game over. They had to attack and we saw the results.
Palace played very much like this yesterday and stole the points against united (hahaha hahaha) so, big team against small team, you can accept the tactic.
Luckily we are not shit like united!
Great performances all over the park but thought Matip was outstanding so got my vote. He seems to be playing as well as he finished last season and deservedly keeping Joe on the bench at the moment. Mo has a spring in his step and was a bit less greedy which actually helped him get more space (team work, who knew?), he's unplayable at times. Bobby, enough said.
Roll on Burnley as it will probably be a copy of this game but with added kicking!

Alright Now

To be fair, he was running on empty by then. His work rate was immense. I was shocked he hadn’t come off before that.

Arsenal buying shit defenders way past their prime. What's new lol

I love the patience we have to find an opener however can't be 100 percent happy with another late goal conceded unnecessarily. It's a habit we should work on immediately

Despite the disjointed preseason for the front three, they look hungry and straight back into the flow

Very pleased

Libero

We look like such a mature team - no panic, just everyone doing their job, in control, with multiple ways to hurt the opposition. We have bags of quality, but there’s a maturity in the performances that’s impressing me. We look all-business, like we really want that title.
Yep, what a change to the last couple of years. You look at the team and every player there and you have the feeling that they go out expecting to win, nothing these. Kudos to Klopp.

Fantastic performance today, thought Fabinho was brilliant that pass out the back for Salah’s second was sublime.

jim bouki

Maybe it's the just quality of bobby firmino with all his twists and turns that's left me bamboozled, but i just can't figure out for the life of me how you can give a club like palace 50mil for a right back and then let them come beat you at your home in 'fergie' time?! With the goal you conceded coming from your right sided defence just to rub it in. You literally can't make this stuff up

alaskared

Kloppite
Hendo was great, yes he gave it away twice, doesn't matter, my MOTM.
Bobby is one sexy classy beautiful amazeballs technician. It seems to me anytime he gets subbed, the opposition gets to spend more time in our half. Everyone gets his talent going forward but IMO he is our best defender, always breaking up their play. Totally fine with him getting rested and others getting some minutes today.
Amazing what a week of training can do with the whole squad back. Mo looks like old Mo again, not under pressure like he frequently looked last season. Great game, we are still building, it's going to get better.
No need to think about top of the league or City or Utd or anyone, just enjoy one game at a time, this team is brilliant and improving.