• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 24/8/19 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Matip [GOAL 41’]

Votes: 71 39.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • Wijaldum [off 69’]

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, GOAL 59’]

Votes: 128 70.7%
  • Firmino [off 86’]

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Mane [off 77’]

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Milner [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 77’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lallana [on 86’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alaskared

Kloppite
Hendo was great, yes he gave it away twice, doesn't matter, my MOTM.
Bobby is one sexy classy beautiful amazeballs technician. It seems to me anytime he gets subbed, the opposition gets to spend more time in our half. Everyone gets his talent going forward but IMO he is our best defender, always breaking up their play. Totally fine with him getting rested and others getting some minutes today.
Amazing what a week of training can do with the whole squad back. Mo looks like old Mo again, not under pressure like he frequently looked last season. Great game, we are still building, it's going to get better.
No need to think about top of the league or City or Utd or anyone, just enjoy one game at a time, this team is brilliant and improving.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
Long may this continue! not only the result but the way we achieved it.
was a bit pissed off with the conceded goal, but will accept it when we score 3 or more.
really very good effort, industry, teamwork and overall attitude from our lads. hopefully it's fully contagious to the other lads in the squad and they bring on the energy whenever called upon.

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
Folks on nbcsn in America went great pains to explain how utterly useless, naive, and idiotic Arsenal’s tactics were.

Got really boring and annoying, but I’d say they were closer to the truth than the French.
Does Unai Emri like to lose ? Honest to god, what manager in his right mind decides to play a diamond formation against probably the best and in form FB's in Europe ?
TAA and Robbo have racked well over 20 assists between them last season. It was almost a training session for them in that respect.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Does Unai Emri like to lose ? Honest to god, what manager in his right mind decides to play a diamond formation against probably the best and in form FB's in Europe ?
TAA and Robbo have racked well over 20 assists between them last season. It was almost a training session for them in that respect.
To be fair, both of them produced a lot of poor crosses in the first half, while on the few occasions that that wasn't the case, the forwards were ball watching. TAA did record another assist, but it came from a corner.

Maybe I'm spoilt, but with so much space and time available I expected more of them.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Just about the perfect day. Great weather, roll up at the ground to hear that United have lost to Palace then take your seat to witness the annual destruction of Arsenal. They gave us more of a game than usual. Pepe was a handful and I've not seen VVD do so much running about in a game but their big chances came from our mistakes. The Adrian clearance, the Henderson miskick. We can be tighter defensively but our problems are nothing compared to Arsenal.

If Emery thought the answer to Arsenal's defensive issues was David Luiz then he must have misunderstood the question. He was atrocious and Salah had him on toast. That third goal was happening from the moment the ball was played to Mo. You knew he would slip it past Luiz, then cut in on a sharp diagonal and drill it in the bottom corner. Every one knew it, Arsenal knew it. It was completely predictable and totally unstoppable.

Mo's started the season in great form but Firmino is looking even better. At times it was like we were witnessing an exhibition of Bobby Skillz. The Copa America has kept him razor sharp and if he keeps this up it could be his best season yet.

costared

TIA Reserve Team
A great team performance against a strong Arsenal team. I will be happier when Alli is back, Adrian doing o.k. but does not inspire the same confidence. Tren I feel , is still below par. A lot of crosses but not all great and was slow to recover at times. Also a sloppy, tired looing clearance which contributed to the Arsenal goal. VVd and Joel were excellent and the midfield also . Hendo was everywhere and I thought Gini had one of his very best games. Good to see Fab in form again as well. Bobby and Sadio never let defenders rest and Mo is looing back to his brilliant best. Happy days.

MarcusBerglund

Great result and a very good performance. I already watrched the game twice and will share my thoughts.

The positive:

- our best perormance since the start of the season.

- the front three looked frightening. Bobby with 9/10 performance, his work in tight spaces and the assist for the penalty were class. Salah totally exposed Luiz and Monreal and Mane's quality was more obvious when he left, in these moments Liverpool lost the total control of the game.

- Matip - time to sing the praise for Joel. Our best defender yesterday, his speed is underrated, can't explain how fast he recovered and blocked Aubameyang when he was 1 vs. 1 with Adrian. And Auba is not the slowest player in the world :). Great in defending and passing the ball, at some moment he looked like the modern version of Baresi with his forward runs.

- VvD and Robbo - solid and dependant.

- our pressing game - back to its best. It is funny, but looks like this season Liverpool reminds me much more of the team from 2107/2018 - pressing and attacking with verve, but we don't seem to control games properly like last season./It was obvious against Norwich, Southampton and Arsenal.

- Fabinho - our best midfielder today. Even Klopp said that him and Bobby were sensational. The brazilian was in a beast mode once again, doing his job with no fuss, but always at the right place at the right time. And what a character /just watch his reaction after Arsenal's goal/, he hates his team conceding goals.

The negative:

- the lack of control - Arsenal were finished after Mo's second goal. But we looked too relaxed and the players had so many unforced errors that gave Arsenal un unnecesseray initiative that lead to a goal and some pressure in the final 5 minutes. Klopp spoke about our mistakes at the press conference after the game.

- TAA - still managed to add an assist, but from an open play his passing was poor. And at the start of the 2nd half in 10 minutes he passed the ball 3 times to an Arsenal player, while he was under no real pressure /one of those passes led to Aubameyang played 1 vs. 1 with Adrian/.

- Hendo - industrious es ever, but still made several very cheap mistakes, one of them led to Torreira's goal and the other was in the first half when Joirdan assisted Pepe and we are lucky that his shot was straight at Adrian.

- Adrian - well, his passing looks more and more susceptible. Two mistakes vs. Southamprton and one of them lead to a goal. One mistake vs. Chelsea and yesterday that absurd sliding pass to Aubameyang. Sooner ratyher then later his mistakes will cost us. Our players just don't trust his ball controll and passing, that is why the players looked for a different option instead of passing back to the goalie.

- the lack of clean sheets - 5 games already played and no clean sheet. Solid defence brings trophies /reminding last season/. We need to improve.

- AOC and Lallana - proved that there is huge gulf in our squad when we speak about our front three and their deputies. When Sadio and Bobby left we lost any desire to attack. Alex is not a wide forward/winger ot something like that. I have seen enough of him on the wing in Arsenal shirt and his last games vs. Chelsea and Arsenal only prove it. AOC's best position is in in the center. Hopefully our front three stay fit and good health till the end of the season, otherwise Klopp will be in serious trouble.

roydom

TIA Reserve Team
Fucking fuming at Henderson for falling asleep and costing the clean sheet, which led to an unnecessary slightly nervy finish. (And his brain fart in the first half to boot)

Loving the three points, but miss the tightness at the back. Come on now, Bournemouth.
Stemmed from a poor clearance from TAA though who was then yards behind the rest of the defence

jaffod

I've been lucky enough to see all our great sides going back to the early 70's and this side is right up there with any of them. That is the highest praise I can give them given the esteem in which I hold those great Shankly, Paisley and Fagan teams and of course Kenny's team which included Barnes, Beardsley, McMahon etc.
The intensity, desire and commitment on display yesterday was breath-taking. They played as though their lives depended on it and Arsenal should have gone away extremely happy with a 3-1 defeat.
It was matched in the stands. If that sort of atmosphere could be repeated at every home game we'd never drop another point. What Jurgen Klopp has instilled in this crowd matches what he has instilled in his team and it's a fucking joy to behold. I'm still buzzing about the whole thing.
Fucking magnificent.

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
I hope you had a lovely time at our spiritual home Anfield and soaked up the atmosphere and got to do abit of sightseeing around the city too.
Indeed i have! It was a wonderful place. I don't know how to explain but when I got off the train at Liverpool, it felt familiar and felt like i belong here. When i first saw Anfield, it looked so majestic and entering the grounds, a wave of emotions hit me and sang my hearts out during the game like I have been to my 1000th game at Anfield. It was such an extraordinary experience.

so what about the rumour that some awful forum member started that you were detained for an attempted streak
Hang on, what rumour! which lovely forum member said that lol
If i was detained for anything it would be me trying to get a Klopp hug

igor_piss_can

Not even going to bother going in to any analysis of the game as it was men against boys from start to finish - Just wanted to say that It's an absolute pleasure to watch these lads every week. Best Liverpool side I've seen in my lifetime by quite a decent margin (born 1993)

UP THE REDS

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I will be happier when Alli is back, Adrian doing o.k. but does not inspire the same confidence.
Me too. Who wouldn’t want the best keeper in the world in goal?

But I think that shanked clearance is a bit harsh on Adrian, and it doesn’t really reflect on his ability. I think it’s one of those things caused by the absence of Alisson.

With Ali in goal, Van Dijk probably doesn’t hare back for that ball. He knows that Ali is going to be out for it and he leaves it to him. But he is thinking that Adrian needs a bit more help.

At the same time, Adrian is trying to be a lot quicker of his line because that what the defence are used to.

Then they get completely in each other’s way and Adrian has to adjust his clearance at the last second because Van Dijk is stood where he wants to kick it, and if he carries on he’ll put his boot straight through Virgil as well.

It’s one of those things that happens with a keeper and a defence that don’t know each other that well. It’s no problem.

I’m glad Adrian did continue with the clearance because that shows authority. Mignolet would have backed out deferring to Van Dijk to sort it, and they would have both missed it leaving Pepe with a tap in.

Adrian is a huge upgrade on Mignolet, IMO. I’m glad we have him in goal rather than Mignolet or Karius.

Clive

Me too. Who wouldn’t want the best keeper in the world in goal?

But I think that shanked clearance is a bit harsh on Adrian, and it doesn’t really reflect on his ability. I think it’s one of those things caused by the absence of Alisson.

With Ali in goal, Van Dijk probably doesn’t hare back for that ball. He knows that Ali is going to be out for it and he leaves it to him. But he is thinking that Adrian needs a bit more help.

At the same time, Adrian is trying to be a lot quicker of his line because that what the defence are used to.

Then they get completely in each other’s way and Adrian has to adjust his clearance at the last second because Van Dijk is stood where he wants to kick it, and if he carries on he’ll put his boot straight through Virgil as well.

It’s one of those things that happens with a keeper and a defence that don’t know each other that well. It’s no problem.

I’m glad Adrian did continue with the clearance because that shows authority. Mignolet would have backed out deferring to Van Dijk to sort it, and they would have both missed it leaving Pepe with a tap in.

Adrian is a huge upgrade on Mignolet, IMO. I’m glad we have him in goal rather than Mignolet or Karius.
Slightly fortunate Adrian and VVD didn’t collide, that would have been ugly and costly. It looked like two cricketers in the outfield with only eyes for the ball for one brief moment.

I’ll reserve judgement on Adrian but he’s certainly “shown up” and showed a lot of courage and character so far.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Slightly fortunate Adrian and VVD didn’t collide, that would have been ugly and costly. It looked like two cricketers in the outfield with only eyes for the ball for one brief moment.

I’ll reserve judgement on Adrian but he’s certainly “shown up” and showed a lot of courage and character so far.
I think he has done everything expected of a reserve keeper. If he was first choice, we’d need an upgrade, but you can’t grumble at how he’s done so far.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I will be happier when Alli is back, Adrian doing o.k. but does not inspire the same confidence.
I think everyone at Anfield on and off the pitch would agree with you on this. I can't see him being an upgrade for our former keepers and it doesn't help matters when he is trying to live up to Alisson's standard. I think Adrian is trying too hard to be like our super keeper, take too many unnecessary risks, and worse thing is fucker never learnt from it either. If that was Mignolet that made that clearance to Aubameyang, I am pretty sure his head would have been chewed and spat out by everyone in here.

LuisSuarez

TIA Reserve Team
God...Bobby’s little flick in the air to himself and volley was something out of the matrix. Cabellos shit himself, I just know it. I wish he scored from that so bad...or just at all. He needs a goal for all his hard work that he puts on the pitch. There was a time in the first half he was chasing I can’t remember who pretty much to our 18 yard box. Not one single striker in the world would do that.

Flobs

FADA
Hendo was great, yes he gave it away twice, doesn't matter, my MOTM.
Bobby is one sexy classy beautiful amazeballs technician. It seems to me anytime he gets subbed, the opposition gets to spend more time in our half. Everyone gets his talent going forward but IMO he is our best defender, always breaking up their play. Totally fine with him getting rested and others getting some minutes today.
Amazing what a week of training can do with the whole squad back. Mo looks like old Mo again, not under pressure like he frequently looked last season. Great game, we are still building, it's going to get better.
No need to think about top of the league or City or Utd or anyone, just enjoy one game at a time, this team is brilliant and improving.
Bobby gzts subbed when the match is won. even if the man coming on gives 500% he won't make up for the rest of the team who have taken the foot off the pedal. Lallana did an amazing amount of pressing yet with noone else doing it it was futile for example. But yes Bobby is central to us and our chances.

Flobs

FADA
I think he has done everything expected of a reserve keeper. If he was first choice, we’d need an upgrade, but you can’t grumble at how he’s done so far.
He also hasn't been with us long enough to get a good understand with the others, despite that he seems well versed in where he needs to be to participate in our back passing game. He's not the best, reserve goalies rarely are however he's competent and looks part of the team already.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
After the game yesterday I watched the interviews with managers and selected players and haven’t enjoyed myself so much listening to David Luiz’s explanation about his giving away a penalty. It seems he was blaming the shirt for being too soft, even going to the lengths of pulling the interviewer’s shirt. He just wouldn’t admit to doing wrong, squirming his talk al la Picasso abstracts to prove he wasn’t at fault. It was the stupid shirt’s fault and he even said that Mo Salah agreed with him. HE IS A PRIZE NUMPTY. Bless him.

Alright Now

After the game yesterday I watched the interviews with managers and selected players and haven’t enjoyed myself so much listening to David Luiz’s explanation about his giving away a penalty. It seems he was blaming the shirt for being too soft, even going to the lengths of pulling the interviewer’s shirt. He just wouldn’t admit to doing wrong, squirming his talk al la Picasso abstracts to prove he wasn’t at fault. It was the stupid shirt’s fault and he even said that Mo Salah agreed with him. HE IS A PRIZE NUMPTY. Bless him.
Yes, i hope Nike keeps making more extra large kits