• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 24/8/19 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Matip [GOAL 41’]

Votes: 71 39.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • Wijaldum [off 69’]

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, GOAL 59’]

Votes: 128 70.7%
  • Firmino [off 86’]

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Mane [off 77’]

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Milner [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 77’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lallana [on 86’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Limiescouse

Does Unai Emri like to lose ? Honest to god, what manager in his right mind decides to play a diamond formation against probably the best and in form FB's in Europe ?
TAA and Robbo have racked well over 20 assists between them last season. It was almost a training session for them in that respect.
Pick what youd prefer to be beaten by. As good as TAA and Robbo are from those areas, I would rather pack my middle and defend their crosses, then expose your middle by trying to pressure those guys and then leave space for Bobby, Mo and Mane to exploit.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Pick what youd prefer to be beaten by. As good as TAA and Robbo are from those areas, I would rather pack my middle and defend their crosses, then expose your middle by trying to pressure those guys and then leave space for Bobby, Mo and Mane to exploit.
The more startling thing for me was he changed nothing until it was 3-0 and he finally brought Lacazette on with 10 minutes to go.

big noyd

gave motm to matip, just wouldn't have wanted to go in at half 0-0 and the block on aubameyang was vital. as good as gomez is, it's hard to keep matip out of the team. henderson was very good, and he's looked so healthy & athletic since moving back to the b2b role, but he had a couple dodgy moments

didn't think the crossing was poor so much as arsenal set up to allow them to come in. both fullbacks played well, imo

quiet start for bob, quiet finish for sadio, but they both contributed. and mo showed pepe how to finish. was a wonderful goal, starting with the distribution from adrian & trent's composure on the ball

Barnestormer

Left wing.
Arsenal clearly have problems at the back, but more so, I think as formations go in fashions, and this being the era of the 4-3-3 whereas, the noughties languished heavily toward a 4-4-2, I just dont think Arsenal have the proper squad to play 4-3-3. They dont have the front-footed midfielders, and their attackers are mostly No 9's deployed right across the front. They still have a 4-4-2 squad, yet set up as a 4-3-3. Despite their showing being a little better yesterday, I still think they are set for a struggle for some years to come. Lost their mojo when they lost Highbury and its drifting around somewhere in norf London. They need a root and branch replacement of the back 4 and MF, with probably only Xhaka worth keeping.

They are an easy turnover and we shouldn't get too excited about our dispatching of them yesterday. Except for the class of Salah and Matip, Fabinho also.

FGred

Fucking fuming at Henderson for falling asleep and costing the clean sheet, which led to an unnecessary slightly nervy finish. (And his brain fart in the first half to boot)

Loving the three points, but miss the tightness at the back. Come on now, Bournemouth.
To be fair he had worked his sox off by then he was totally knackered and got outdone by a fresh sub, he admitted that it was his fault at the post match presser the heat didn’t help either

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
To be fair he had worked his sox off by then he was totally knackered and got outdone by a fresh sub, he admitted that it was his fault at the post match presser the heat didn’t help either
I don't think it was fatigue, I think it has a lot to do with being a bit too overconfident and taking eye off the ball thinking "we got this". Our defence this season is a bit lacking so far, and it could be down to us getting way too used to Alisson behind the defence thinking any keeper slotted in will have the same stability.

indianaredman96

now you're gonna believe us
Brilliant half time adjustments from the boss. The first half of the second half to say we were clicking on all cylinders would be an understatement.
Absolutely purring for the better part of the half. A joy to watch and even surprising to me just how good we can be.
Salah was great but what a shift Matip put in . Calm on the ball ,great awareness of position, and anticipation .
Really growing to love this guy

Glory2Anfield

The correct frame of reference is that Arsenal is a top 6 club, with top 6 players, a world class coach and bags of money to buy world class players like Pepe.

Arsenal took a pounding, I can not think of any better word to describe the first 70 minutes. Arsenal only had one tactic, let’s call it the Mohammad Ali strategy, lay back against the ropes (net) and accept the pounding and hope you get a knock out punch (goal). Then back against the ropes and keep trying to get a knockout punch and win the match.

It was an amazing performance by LFC. In fact the Arsenal defence did reasonably well, if LFC had a bit of luck, it could have easily of been 6 or 7, Arsenal were lost with despair after 3. I see the goal against, as the cost to be paid to get other players match fit and game time.

Klopp wanted other players to get match fit, so he subbed out, and LFC took their foot of the gas, this gave Arsenal some breathing space.

It was a formidable performance by LFC, I can not recall any team giving Arsenal such a pounding. I have seen other teams score more goals against Arsenal, skillful goals.

But I have never seen a team pound Arsenal like LFC did.

It’s like the European Champions showed up and declared to the world, this is how we plan to play this season and we want to win the Premier League.

Commando

Ad-free Member
Hard to pick just 3 MoM nominations today. Fab, Hendo, Bobby, Mo, Matip and VVD all deserve a vote IMO.
I thought Hendo was the pick of the bunch but he tired towards the end of the game. I'm always disappointed to concede goals because eventually it will cost you.
Adrian is okay as long as it's not at his feet. Pepe is "mane" like, he will trouble plenty of sides this year.

Anybody would with the entire Arsenal midfield in their pocket.

Happy with that. We could have had a few more but I’m sure that a few teams are going to take a proper pasting from us.

Red over the water

I see the goal against, as the cost to be paid to get other players match fit and game time.
Great post. Just wanted to highlight this little bit as it’s a very good point.

I expect the goals against column to come down once a few more squad players start to find their groove, and then especially as Alisson is brought back in. In the meantime if we continue to win and stay top, a defence that is slightly more leaky than we’ve grown accustomed to is fine. For now!

andyclegs

Andy C Legs
Great post. Just wanted to highlight this little bit as it’s a very good point.

I expect the goals against column to come down once a few more squad players start to find their groove, and then especially as Alisson is brought back in. In the meantime if we continue to win and stay top, a defence that is slightly more leaky than we’ve grown accustomed to is fine. For now!
I totally agree with your point on Alisson, as soon as he comes back we should tighten up at the back - he was such an influence last season. Just been reading about him now in 'Allez' x 3 - a superb book so far.

Commando

Ad-free Member
A quick point from yesterday’s game reference VAR . I’ve heard it said that VAR is only for “clear and obvious errors”. It’s also used to check every goal. So on our first goal, Joel’s header, should the VAR officials not have picked up Luiz’s blatant shirt pulling on Virgil? That was worthy of a yellow in itself, thus leading to Luiz’s dismissal for a second yellow. That would have given us most of the second half to play against ten men.

I do realise though that we were as good as playing against ten men when he was on the pitch anyway.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
A quick point from yesterday’s game reference VAR . I’ve heard it said that VAR is only for “clear and obvious errors”. It’s also used to check every goal. So on our first goal, Joel’s header, should the VAR officials not have picked up Luiz’s blatant shirt pulling on Virgil? That was worthy of a yellow in itself, thus leading to Luiz’s dismissal for a second yellow. That would have given us most of the second half to play against ten men.

I do realise though that we were as good as playing against ten men when he was on the pitch anyway.
At a guess,if Matip hadn't scored from that corner then i'd imagine they'd have gone to VAR and looked at it for a penalty and foul play,which probably would have seen Luiz sent off for a 2nd yellow later in the game and a penalty given.If they didn't do that,then i'm fucked if i know when VAR is to be used?? lol

Last edited:

cynicaloldgit

Offside by an armpit
Ad-free Member
At a guess,if Matip hadn't scored from that corner then i'd imagine they'd have gone to VAR and looked at it for a penalty and foul play,which probably would have seen Luiz sent off for a 2nd yellow later in the game and a penalty given.If they didn't do that,then i'm fucked if i know when VAR is to be used??
You assume that the authorities apply the rules equally.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Just saw the MOTD highlights and analysis and the commentator sounded very frustrated with Arsenal not doing better against us - probably hates Liverpool.

Also the pundits Danny Murphy and Ian Wright heavily criticized Arsenal with their decision to play to our strength with a diamond and again not showing up against us.