• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 24/8/19 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Matip [GOAL 41’]

Votes: 71 39.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • Wijaldum [off 69’]

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, GOAL 59’]

Votes: 128 70.7%
  • Firmino [off 86’]

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Mane [off 77’]

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Milner [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 77’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lallana [on 86’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Just saw the MOTD highlights and analysis and the commentator sounded very frustrated with Arsenal not doing better against us - probably hates Liverpool.

Also the pundits Danny Murphy and Ian Wright heavily criticized Arsenal with their decision to play to our strength with a diamond and again not showing up against us.
Probably just me but i feel there is a slight agenda on MOTD against us,as far as game highlights shown.Ok they are probably trying to be impartial but from all 3 game's this season, i've seen the whole 90mins live,then watched MOTD highlights,for me,they seem to make the opposition look a bit better than what they were,by showing alot more of them in posession,with the odd chance,when we had the lion share of the game.

For instance yesterday,we battered Arsenal first half,relentless attacks down the wing and crosses from TAA and Robertson,i watched MOTD,they showed the Pepe 1 on 1,the attempted shot into the top corner,plus the PEA lob after the VVD/Adrian mix up where he cleared the ball,80% of those highlights of that half were Arsenal,we scored and it went to 2nd half,they did the same with Norwich and Southampton aswell,WTF is that all about??

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Probably just me but i feel there is a slight agenda on MOTD against us,as far as game highlights shown.Ok they are probably trying to be impartial but from all 3 game's this season, i've seen the whole 90mins live,then watched MOTD highlights,for me,they seem to make the opposition look a bit better than what they were,by showing alot more of them in posession,with the odd chance,when we had the lion share of the game.

For instance yesterday,we battered Arsenal first half,relentless attacks down the wing and crosses from TAA and Robertson,i watched MOTD,they showed the Pepe 1 on 1,the attempted shot into the top corner,plus the PEA lob after the VVD/Adrian mix up where he cleared the ball,80% of those highlights of that half were Arsenal,we scored and it went to 2nd half,they did the same with Norwich and Southampton aswell,WTF is that all about??
They would run out of time if they would show 50 beautiful crosses by Trent and Robbo being cleared by Luiz.

The commentator today was definitely against Liverpool.

However the pundits, especially Murphy, Wright and Shearer, I like listening to them and I’m sure they would want us to win the title ahead of both Manchester Club.

Not sure what to make of Keown and Jenas.

I enjoy MotD. We don’t have anything like that in Germany for the Bundesliga. My ears starts to bleed if I listen to germany pundits for too long. I’d rather listen to rat boy Neville for an hour than to Lothar Mathäus or Didi Hamann for 5 minutes.

Flobs

FADA
Just for the press we deserved the first goal. Outstanding. That’s how I always feel we should be like - not giving the others teams defence a moment - especially at Anfield.
Ravishingly hungry throughout up until that bit of easing off the gas at the end.
Mo was excellent. His run and then finish - is there a better player out there when he is producing performances like that?
Hendo was awesome too and Matip - I thought it was vvd who scored the header! A snip for zilch. Another wise grab from Klopp.
It could have been six at least. If we keep playing like this then maybe we will really give someone a hiding...Early days yet but oh how I love this club and our team.....
Their goalie was good .... :-(

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

If you watch the ten minutes highlights on the official site of Liverpool, you'll get exactly the same feeling you are describing here. When I watched the game in full, I saw how dominant we had been, but not before that (couldn't watch it live). That's probably because for all of our dominance, we hadn't that much shots on target (five for us vs. three for Arsenal).

Also, Lawrenson and McAteer, reviewing the game on the official site, talked at length about how strange Arsenal's tactical options had been. They talked more about this than about our lads. So, the bbc aren't alone with that.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
I thought that goal was the fault of the defense. Seeing where TAA was stuck you just don't come out in line like that. I was so shocked by this that I didn't notice anything else. So don't take this as a defense of Henderson's actions or lack of them. I was howling and rubbing my eyes in disbelief. We really must get that sort of thing sorted out.
Having watched the game again, it was evident that prior to the arse goal, several of our lads were in the "we've won it, can't wait for the showers" mode, and had switched off.
Trent should not have tried the "clever" pass; he would have been better off blasting the ball into row Z. But where was our the press on the arse players. Too many of our lads were standing around, playing "after you Cecil, no after you Claud".

Hendo should have done better, but Torreira got a very lucky bounce.

Shame not to have kept the clean sheet, but no real damage done. Onwards and upwards.

kopend79

If a top six side turns up to your
ground looking like relegation battlers just trying to avoid a flogging, you might be a good team.

I thought everyone played beautifully, Trent still looks a touch off but it's only three games in to the season so nothing to be alarmed about.

I really like what i'm seeing from AOC, moving freely, accelerating, changing directions. No obvious signs that he has lost anything physically. A fit and firing ox improves an already awesome team.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
Whisper it but I think Virgil's had a fairly poor start to the season. He hasn’t looked sharp enough, for me.

Sweeting

Whisper it but I think Virgil's had a fairly poor start to the season. He hasn’t looked sharp enough, for me.
He didn't really know how to defend Pepe in the first half hour but after he realised that he doesn't have much else but a bit of pace he was completely dominant.

Didn't catch the eye because we had nothing to do second half.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Ad-free Member
He didn't really know how to defend Pepe in the first half hour but after he realised that he doesn't have much else but a bit of pace he was completely dominant.

He hasn't looked particularly sharp defending the six yard area either. That might be partly down to the absence of Alisson, but he's allowed the opposition more opportunities in the last few games than he did for most of last season, imo. Just looked like his concentration's slipped a bit.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

I don’t think that it’s bias or agenda. It’s the highlights editor trying to put together a ten minute package that shows the key incidents. They are never going to show ten minutes of us dominating them without fashioning a clear chance.

Limiescouse

It's an interesting issue. The main action of the game for long periods was every time the ball got cleared from the Arsenal box it fell to a Liverpool midfielder 30-40 yards out. The narrative was one of suffocating pressure, with Arsenal successfully being able to spring the release valve on 2 or 3 occasions. You can put those releases in the highlight package, but you cannot really depict the sustained, suffocating pressure without showing a long unedited package.

Flobs

FADA
Having watched the game again, it was evident that prior to the arse goal, several of our lads were in the "we've won it, can't wait for the showers" mode, and had switched off.
Trent should not have tried the "clever" pass; he would have been better off blasting the ball into row Z. But where was our the press on the arse players. Too many of our lads were standing around, playing "after you Cecil, no after you Claud".

Hendo should have done better, but Torreira got a very lucky bounce.

Shame not to have kept the clean sheet, but no real damage done. Onwards and upwards.
One of my gripes has been how we just hoof the ball back to the opposition, Likeputting it out of play is a crime. We only have Salah up top everyone else desfends so if you can not 'play it out then, as you said, just put it out to row Z. Reorganise and go again. That was the classic example of how dangerous just kicking it somewhere in the vincinity of Salah is. Anyway it's how we play and we're just going to have to live with it. Btw it was a very good goal by Arsenal Torreira did very well though we were caught napping and on the back foot.
We had looked as if we had taken our foot off the pedal for a while before that so no real surprises and note it was their sub who scored which means we hadn't sussed him out.

Flobs

FADA
It's an interesting issue. The main action of the game for long periods was every time the ball got cleared from the Arsenal box it fell to a Liverpool midfielder 30-40 yards out. The narrative was one of suffocating pressure, with Arsenal successfully being able to spring the release valve on 2 or 3 occasions. You can put those releases in the highlight package, but you cannot really depict the sustained, suffocating pressure without showing a long unedited package.
Yes or go outside the MOTD format and do a short tactical analysis highlighting specific players and what they are doing to puut the pressure on.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
an enjoyable performance which would have been perfect but for conceding that late Arsenal consolation goal. poor clearance from Trent and lazy defending, shame really.

Salah scored a most beautiful goal.
Should have had a few more though.

No pipes were broken during this game!!!

Red over the water

We played well and just had too much for Arsenal. And we can reasonably expect further improvement to come. At some point, if teams continue to not turn up against us, or have off days and whatnot, the pundits might cotton on that we had something to do with that!

I always remember one of my early managers in kids football scolding the team. We didn’t have a good game and he said we played as well as they let us. It stuck with me.

Arsenal played as well as we let them. On our side there is more to come, even though we made a handy side look distinctly average.

Onwards and upwards!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I don't think Klopp would be too pleased with that attitude before we concede. Our entire backline and midfield seemed to have given up, thinking there's Arsenal going to just roll over and die. I too don't like the arrogance displayed.

Much like Alisson, you don't know what you have until you don't have it. That's the type of player Van Dijk is, and he made everything looked simple. The one thing the league forwards need to learn is to know that you cannot use pace alone to beat Van Dijk. Pace and power are pointless attributes to use to beat him.

The price of Pepe is staggering,we bought Robertson,Salah and Mane for that price,could be a top player but can't understand the price.
It's the market. £50-60m will give you Mane before Klopp's training., besides Van Dijk can make Messi and Suarez looked ordinary at Anfield, what more could Pepe do? lol

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I'm curious about this. What does he sign? The songs being sung? Funny chants? Shouted abuse?
I am assuming commentating on the game like the sports pundits, who has the ball, who has passed the ball to who, who scored, goal kick, substitute change etc.