• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 24/8/19 5.30pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Matip [GOAL 41’]

Votes: 71 39.2%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Robertson

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Henderson

Votes: 29 16.0%
  • Wijaldum [off 69’]

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Salah [GOAL 49’, GOAL 59’]

Votes: 128 70.7%
  • Firmino [off 86’]

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Mane [off 77’]

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Milner [on 69’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [on 77’]

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lallana [on 86’]

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shachart

"You're supposed to help people that need a bit."
The price of Pepe is staggering,we bought Robertson,Salah and Mane for that price,could be a top player but can't understand the price.
To be fair, nobody knew who Robertson was when we bought him, and I think even Robbo is surprised to find out he is this good. Mane was a very fast winger playing for Southampton, nobody really had an interest in him but us. I remember Southampton supporters themselves thinking what a great price they got for him, and quite afew in our camp thinking we overpaid. Salah is even a bigger surprise, we paid Roma just under 50 mil for a winger that failed in the PL, and on his best year at Roma scored 13 goals. I can't remember one person on this forum not thinking we over paid ( myself included ).
We bought 3 players that nobody really valued much, and Arsenal bought 1 player that everybody wanted.
Funny thing is, this is how Arsene Wenger used to run Arsenal ( not spending a lot in the market, but rather looking for gems to develop ), and we used to buy big names. Now it is the other way around.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
To be fair, nobody knew who Robertson was when we bought him, and I think even Robbo is surprised to find out he is this good. Mane was a very fast winger playing for Southampton, nobody really had an interest in him but us. I remember Southampton supporters themselves thinking what a great price they got for him, and quite afew in our camp thinking we overpaid. Salah is even a bigger surprise, we paid Roma just under 50 mil for a winger that failed in the PL, and on his best year at Roma scored 13 goals. I can't remember one person on this forum not thinking we over paid ( myself included ).
We bought 3 players that nobody really valued much, and Arsenal bought 1 player that everybody wanted.
Funny thing is, this is how Arsene Wenger used to run Arsenal ( not spending a lot in the market, but rather looking for gems to develop ), and we used to buy big names. Now it is the other way around.
Van Gaal wanted to sign Mane in the winter window, but for some reason Utd didnt get the deal done. Cant remember why. We didnt pay 50m for Salah upfront though did we? Wasnt it a lot lower before add ons?

Commando

Ad-free Member
If you watch the ten minutes highlights on the official site of Liverpool, you'll get exactly the same feeling you are describing here. When I watched the game in full, I saw how dominant we had been, but not before that (couldn't watch it live). That's probably because for all of our dominance, we hadn't that much shots on target (five for us vs. three for Arsenal).

Also, Lawrenson and McAteer, reviewing the game on the official site, talked at length about how strange Arsenal's tactical options had been. They talked more about this than about our lads. So, the bbc aren't alone with that.
I was pissed off with Lawrenson bigging up old bacon face. He used him as an example when he could easily have used Shanks, Sir Bob, Cloughy or any number of "old school" managers before citing him as an example. I respect what Lawrenson did for us playing wise, but I detest him as a pundit.

This is amazing, so proud of our club helping the the supporters with disabilities. I didn't know about about an LFC Accessibility Support team.
My nephew is disabled and a season ticket holder on the Kop. The support team aid them on match days in getting to their seats and any thing else they may need. I know a girl who works for the support team in the ARE. She got to go to Istanbul with the team to look after our disabled fans.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Van Gaal wanted to sign Mane in the winter window, but for some reason Utd didnt get the deal done. Cant remember why. We didnt pay 50m for Salah upfront though did we? Wasnt it a lot lower before add ons?
It was a lot lower, even with add-ons it doesn't get over £40m. Wonder if he's thinking of it in dollars?

I also don't remember anyone who thought we were overpaying but perhaps there were one or two. The majority thought it was a fair enough deal from what I recall.

In fact my recollection is that Monchi wanted £50m and that to get Salah for around £34m was seen as good business by Edwards and taking advantage of Roma's need to sell before 1 July, for FFP reasons.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
@Kopstar

@Commando and @Prolix solved it for you. Thanks, that is great that the club help the LFC travelling disabled fans as well. I didn't know that.
So the guy is there for a chat and to sign the PA announcements? Do all the deaf fans have to sit in a group?

I appreciate you won't know the answers, just genuinely curious as to how it works if anyone knows.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Agree with a lot of what has been written in this thread. Matip was sensational. At both ends of the pitch, both sides of the ball. Absolutely sensational. His block of Auba's shot inside the box was unbelievable. I could watch that on repeat for hours. As the kids on social media these days say - "inject that into my veins!" Auba is a world class striker and Matip timed his move to perfection, merely yards away from the keeper. Not many defenders have that level calm and composure and NOT give a foul/penalty away in that situation.

The pressing and work rate from the squad was next level. I commented in the match thread, something about that entire performance felt personal from the opening whistle. Our boys were playing like they were insulted and had a point to prove. Literally to a man, everyone's effort and focus was beautiful to watch.

Flobs

FADA
Just watched the game again!!! Noticed all our boys had socks on red top/white bottoms.....all except Virg...his were all red...did he not wash his home kit pair...
He used a hot wash and the socks came out all red. (that's my theory though when I do that the white comes out pink then VVD is a special guy ;-) )

BostonMick

TIA New Signing no more!
Ad-free Member
Watched it in a bar in Dublin
Couldn’t hear commentary (which was 100 percent better than listening to the US commentary)
Half way through the first half was struck me most was the tempo at which Liverpool were playing and how visibly better they were than Burnley
And that continued then - just watching - without having to listen to commentary - I thought I was looking at a perpetual motion matchine. - the team just didnt stop. They were relentless and were in a different class tactically and individually than the other 11 players on the pitch.
Great day.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Watched it in a bar in Dublin
Couldn’t hear commentary (which was 100 percent better than listening to the US commentary)
Half way through the first half was struck me most was the tempo at which Liverpool were playing and how visibly better they were than Burnley
And that continued then - just watching - without having to listen to commentary - I thought I was looking at a perpetual motion matchine. - the team just didnt stop. They were relentless and were in a different class tactically and individually than the other 11 players on the pitch.
Great day.
Considering this is the thread for the Arsenal game, I have to ask what whiskey you were drinking and how much?

Sounds like it was definitely a great day!