• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 29/12/18 5.30pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson [off 82’]

• Fabinho

• Wijnaldum [off 76’]

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • Shaqiri

• Salah [GOAL 45+2’]

• Firmino [GOAL 14’, GOAL 16’, GOAL 65’]

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • Mane [off 61’, GOAL 32’]

• Henderson [on 61’]

• Lallana [on 76’]

• Clyne [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

C

Caradoc

Every time we get a penalty its questioned by commentators and pundits. If a defender rugby tackled one of our attackers in the opposition penalty area it would be a soft or highly dubious penalty according to one or more of them. Total arseholes.

Show me the Mane

Over halfway now, the count down can begin, we are in a great position. We will drop points along the way but so will City and Spurs. It's possible 12 wins and a few draws could do it but as Klopp will say take it one game at a time. Arsenal were naive last night. I think if we had hit into gear 2nd half could of hit 10 but with City on Thursday we had to win it as easy as possible. I've been critical of Firmino of late, not understanding his role but last night he was superb. Lets not get carried away, keep our feet on the ground and smash City 4-0 on Thursday

Arsenal TV should be fun
Bring back Wenger lol

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Basically Maria, the technical explanation for "short-planks" Sokratis' behaviour is, that he is a "proper divvy".
Thanks LR:well done:lol
Also, I am getting the impression, the pundits are questioning Mo's integrity whenever he gets tackled and goes down. Mo is not Harry Kane, he is not like that.

C

Caradoc

Hopefully Bobby is hitting top form at just the right time with the visit to City coming up.

Looks like Fernandinho could be making a well timed return for them as well.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Watched the game again. This was by far the best performance wijnaldum has had in a red shirt.
He was untouchable.
His work rate reminds me of kuyt. He would rather die running than come off as a sub.
Special shout out to lovren as well.
He was rock solid and had aubameyang in his pocket.
I think powercube is what makes the front 3 tick.
With him playing, our front 3 don't really need to come deep to pick up. Now if naby can also get into the act, we would have a superb squad.
Only concern for me is the LB. I would like to sign a decent backup for Robbo.

FGred

I fucking loved the crowd's reaction to going a goal behind almost as much as the performance today, no moaning, no doubt, just total support and 5 minutes later the Reds had turned it around. Brilliant on and off the pitch today.
Yes I noticed that and instead of groaning after their goal went in there was a roar from the Kop urging them on and with Mo’s gift to Bobby this was really a magical Christmas

[email protected]

Here's my report from the Kop:

Well, an hour before Kick Off we were nestled into Hotel TIA where Jamie Webster was warming us all up with that lovely VVD song, some bloke running down the wing and something about conquering all of europe.... It was very good.

As I dropped my son off to the Annie Road end, Wolves had equalised against our nearest rivals - Spurs, yes Spurs who really can't be our rivals but yes they are - well for a week or so. Then as we started walking towards the Kop - Wolves had taken the lead. My kid daughter who is now 19 just had this glint in her eyes - "Its Happening". Yes, that one.

By the time we walked pass the Hillsborough memorial, Wolves had scored a 3rd and pretty much guaranteed a win, against our nearest rival spurs.
Yes, Spurs.

All day, all I heard is how Arsenal were there for the taking, and we would smash them and win comfortably. Maybe, I'm too old - but I wasn't having it. Maybe, I listen too much to Jurgen too. Any win would do, but this was going to be tougher than we thought. We don't do things in a straightforward way, we are Liverpool.

In we go to find our seats - stadium buzzing. You could smell it. "Its Happening". Yes that smell.

My friend had earlier sent me a link about a Guardian Podcast from about a month ago where Barry Glendenning (one of their chief writers) was saying that City will win the league by 15 points and we will finish below Arsenal. If you want a laugh, worth a listen.

Anyway, match starts and somehow Arsenal score. There was a momentary silence, then we all found our voices again. We are going to score, lets do this. "Its Happening".

And then, bang bang. A blurry few minutes, but Bobby has scored twice. The first had a bit of luck, the second was just pure Kung Fu in the way Bobby does.

Yes, it is happening, right in front of us. I had a bloke next to me who was complaining about every single misplaced pass, or even if it was not the pass he thought we should make - I think he has gotten into this habit of complaining - I know he didn't mean it. Because then we had the 3rd and that followed with another penalty. We get loads at Anfield don't we. It's Happening.

Half time I went for a quick beer and watched the goals again on the telly. Wow. Bobby's goal. And Salah's pen was a pen all day and night long. You could see it in everyone eyes, smell it in the air, feel the momentum. It is most definitely on.

2nd half came and went - some new songs were tested out - I liked the Fabinho one - "He's Tall, He's Red. He scores with his Bald head. Fabinho"

We got another pen. Salah gives it to Bobby, who secures the match ball.

Hendo took a wild shot - and we all start asking "What the Fucking Hell was that" - Hendo raises his arms to apologise. That is Kop humour in case anyone doesn't get it. We wouldn't have sung that if it were 1-1.

And so the match ends.

As I walk out to our meeting point, I think of Origi and 96th minute, Allison and he's numerous saves - Brighton, Everton, Burnley etc, Sturridge and Chelsea, Mahrez penalty heading for the moon. All teams have a slice of luck - damn City had loads last year - how many injury time winners?

But its happening, everyone senses it, feels it, knows it and sees it. But let's listen to Jurgen and take it one at a time. 2018 has been remarkable, and this team is the real deal. We are Liverpool.
Thank You for sharing that Kind of experience with US! Great Posting!

Barry O'Connor

Fabulous performance. Fabhino started poorly but grew into the game. Everybody else was on it from the first whistle. Brilliant start to the season and now we seem to be in full flow. No discussion about titles from me. Secure top 4 then see what happens. I've been broken to many times. This time I'm just enjoying the ride. YNWA

C

Caradoc

Oh God this is such a special time to be a Liverpool supporter. I feel like a young lad again. Its just an absolute joy to watch and be associated with this wonderful club.

As a Welshman there is something incredibly special about sitting in the National Stadium watching the Wales rugby team play and standing there singing Land of My Fathers with 70000 other fervent Welsh men, women and children. Watching my beloved Reds at Anfield and singing You’ll Never Walk Alone with 50000 Reds supporters is the only thing that comes close.

I really do count myself as being extremely lucky and truly blessed to be able to experience both because for me they are two of the greatest sporting experiences you can have.

Rambler

Bootle Boy
Ad-free Member
Still can't allow myself to get carried away with the euphoria. We have fallen short so many times.....please tell me all will be well this time.

Was beginning to doubt I would ever see us win it again.

A united supporting friend sent me a reminder than Solksjaer has already won as many trophies for United as our manager has with us.

C

Caradoc

Still can't allow myself to get carried away with the euphoria. We have fallen short so many times.....please tell me all will be well this time.

A united supporting friend sent me a reminder than Solksjaer has already won as many trophies for United as our manager has with us.

Your mate a bit of a div is he? Solksjaer has won nothing of note as a manager, Klopp has. End of ...... !

FGred

Mane was superb. Even when it is isnt obviously coming off for him he gives his defenders absolute fits, and today he worked his socks off defensively. He's just a horrible bastard to play against. and that takes its toll. The goals are a bonus.
Yes MOTD showed how influential he was all over the pitch the only thing he needs to work on is his composure in front of goal otherwise he would easily be top goal scorer by now

Commando

Ad-free Member
:think:

Let s Play FIFA19 with Bobby against kids
Leno s reaction after the ball went in Looking in the wrong direction is even better

I love these gif things that play over and over. They let you see what each player is doing during the phase of play. I saw on of this goal from the Anny Road end which shows Mane's run and the influence it had on the Arse player's positioning (the on who slipped to Bobby's right).

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Yeah I can’t get too carried away, we’ve only beaten a mid table team. Shouldn’t be too happy about it...:well done:

As for your United friend, they are worried, which is why they come up with all sorts of shit.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The weird thing about all this is that despite sitting 9 points on top of the league, it feels like we can still play even better.
I have seen us playing very well and yesterday isn’t one of it. In fact quoting Klopp, yesterday was a bit too wild. I have seen a very dominant game we’ve played where nothing get past the back 4. Yesterday although Robertson sent a very good cross early on and that cross field pass from him for our 3rd, he wasn’t at his best. Lost his concentration for the goal we conceded and beaten a few times by their goal scorer. We should play better for sure, I think at best we’re on 2nd and 3rd gear. 3 more to go....

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Brilliant result,

Specially happy about the 2 goals scored immediately after going a goal down,
We really put them in their place, and they never recovered from it.

Slightly disappointed with Robertson yesterday (and I am a big fan of his) as seemed to have made a lot of misplaced passes,
which is not like him. or maybe it was the anti flu drugs I am on which make me think that!

Something else I have noticed recently, we seemed to be been a bit more sneakier, and not so honest a team,
take Salahs penalty, last season he would have still tried to get the shot away, but this year he goes down for the penalty.
he also won another ehhhhh… softish penalty recently.

As for Lovrens penalty, yes there was a push, but I think he made the most of it, so well done Dejan!

Maybe we are learning that been clever will also win you games, as for too long this team as IMO been a tad too honest at times.

Finally, we also appear to be leaving the boot in a bit more as well, which is fine with me, as I wouldn't want LFC
to be a soft touch who can be bullied, like Real Madrid did to us last year.

MOTM, tough choice between Gini and Bobby can they just share it?

All in all, very happy, my only negative is, trying to keep my feet on the ground and not get carried away.

One game at a time, must not carried away,
One game at a time, must not carried away,
One game at a time, must not carried away......