POST MATCH: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 29/12/18 5.30pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson [off 82’]

• Fabinho

• Wijnaldum [off 76’]

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • Shaqiri

• Salah [GOAL 45+2’]

• Firmino [GOAL 14’, GOAL 16’, GOAL 65’]

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • Mane [off 61’, GOAL 32’]

• Henderson [on 61’]

• Lallana [on 76’]

• Clyne [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FilthyBloke

I think the debate about penalties will go on and on.
Personally I have no problem with players going down as long as contact was made and the fall is natural to the contact that is made.
I don’t like it when an arm gets touched and all of a sudden both knees buckle and the players soars through the air waving an imaginary yellow card before he’s even landed.

I won’t moan anymore when I see harry Kane dropping like a sack of spuds or all those yesteryear players like Ronaldo and drogba who went down embarrassingly easy. Because it’s those goals and those dirty points that can be the difference in winning trophies.

We have been too nice far too long. Like a team of Clark Kent’s. Now we need to just keep doing what we are doing. No cheating. But if you’re impeded, make sure the referee knows it.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
The weird thing about all this is that despite sitting 9 points on top of the league, it feels like we can still play even better.
Yes that's the most strange of things. Yesterday, our lads came short a couple of times, and weren't at their very best, especially the backline (Especially Fabinho, Trent and Robertson having a horrid beginning to this match). Despite of this, the 5-1 scoreline is absolutely and utterly deserved. There could have been a few more for us, and certainly would have if our lads hadn't managed their efforts during the second half. And that's against a very good team which is putting up a credible fight for a top four spot and has an excellent and dangerous frontline!...

The difference-maker for me is the attitude running through the team. Whenever a player makes a mistake, he and all his team-mates work very hard to make up for it and win the ball back. Willingness to run at all times for the team + willingness to fight against the opposition and also oneself ---> growing confidence in oneself and the team ---> ability to express the talent which is abundantly there throughout this team.

These are good times to be a Red, lads, let's make the most of it!!! :well done:

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
I very rarely post in the post match threads as i just enjoy reading through the game and keeping my thoughts to myself but i do have one worry about the game yesterday i want to get off my chest. I voted Bobby as MOTM and love him to bits but does anyone else worry about his no look shots?

As one of our players we enjoy this type of showboating even though if it was an opposition player we'd be calling him all sorts of names but as one of ours i enjoy seeing the confidence from the players to do something like this. My problem with it is there's a time and place for that. Scoring an equaliser or a goal to put us 1 ahead isn't the time, a 3 goal lead on the other hand is a perfect time to try these sorts of things. Can you imagine if that had skinned off the side of his foot yesterday and missed? The whole game may have changed and i'd have trouble seeing past that chance especially if we went on to lose or draw this game.

As i've said, i love Bobby and wouldnt change him for any other striker in the league but if he misses one of those it could cost us (and him as it will knock his confidence and leave him feeling guilty) and can anyone honestly say they would have seen the funny side had he missed yesterday? Hopefully he'll leave the no look goal till after we're 3 up at City on Thursday :-)

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
I very rarely post in the post match threads as i just enjoy reading through the game and keeping my thoughts to myself but i do have one worry about the game yesterday i want to get off my chest. I voted Bobby as MOTM and love him to bits but does anyone else worry about his no look shots?

As one of our players we enjoy this type of showboating even though if it was an opposition player we'd be calling him all sorts of names but as one of ours i enjoy seeing the confidence from the players to do something like this. My problem with it is there's a time and place for that. Scoring an equaliser or a goal to put us 1 ahead isn't the time, a 3 goal lead on the other hand is a perfect time to try these sorts of things. Can you imagine if that had skinned off the side of his foot yesterday and missed? The whole game may have changed and i'd have trouble seeing past that chance especially if we went on to lose or draw this game.

As i've said, i love Bobby and wouldnt change him for any other striker in the league but if he misses one of those it could cost us (and him as it will knock his confidence and leave him feeling guilty) and can anyone honestly say they would have seen the funny side had he missed yesterday? Hopefully he'll leave the no look goal till after we're 3 up at City on Thursday :-)
The pic posted earlier in this thread is misleading. Bobby has already passed the keeper and is one yard away from the goal-line. Yes he looks away while shooting, but not before it. Look at the highlights from the game. He can't miss the goal at that point.

C

Caradoc

All I will say is Aubameyang missed from 2 yards and had to rely on the lineman’s flag to save his blushes ....... ! lol

Take your point though ...... ;-)

johnoleary

great result,still feel we can improve to bee honest,sloppy passing could be costly against city,i know most voted for firminho and it was a great hat trick,but honestly i have to give mom to wijnaldum,im not his biggest fan but he was awesome in the first half.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Competition time:

Just how many times does Sokratis foul Mo for the pen?
Let’s go through it.

1. There is a little clip on Salah’s boot
2. He then kicks Salah’s right leg...
3. ...which follows through to his left
4. Finally another nibble at Salah’s right leg

So, depending on how you judge these things, it’s somewhere between two and four.

Jens

What a brilliant game last night! Couldn't believe how they blitzed the Gunners.
One bit of commentary from the BBC's Steve Wilson that stuck with me was that Bobby had a little "Samba Swivel" to beat the Arsenal defence.

That reminded me of a lyric I wrote for Bobby on Bellini's Samba de Janeiro. That song is so catchy! In my opinion it is as catchy as the Torres bounce and the Suarez song were. I had it on my phone for a few weeks and decided to post it online. I actually saw there have been many attempts at a song for him, but none have stuck yet. Would love to hear what you think.

Cheers! YNWA

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
The pic posted earlier in this thread is misleading. Bobby has already passed the keeper and is one yard away from the goal-line. Yes he looks away while shooting, but not before it. Look at the highlights from the game. He can't miss the goal at that point.
I watched the game live but must admit to being influenced by the pic posted. If hes looking as he shoots then fine, if not then he really, really needs to be sure he can't miss. As Caradoc mentions even the best can miss from 2 yards away and i'd hate for Bobby to have to live with the guilt of a miss that could cost us a game over something that didn't have to be done.

TheSweetSilverSong

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant to react like this! I don't understand yet fully why I didn't think we'd lose after 1-0 down, but I think it's what Red Jedi says in the post I quote below...it's a sense that we have at the moment....
What a time Bobby picked to get back to his last year's best! He's been flirting with the level for a few games now, and last night he was on song! Finally! MOTM for me. And Wijnaldum very, very close! Shaq as well, and the full front three section. Henderson influenced the game very positively when he came in, I thought the midfield was a bit lost in the 10 minute period before the sub, so great tactical change by Klopp there, midfield control resumed too (and Mane rested to be as sharp as possible for City, Wijnaldum too a bit later on).
Now if we can only beat City at the Etihad, what a massive, massive start to 2019 it could be...

Just a reminder:

Everton 1-0
Burnley 3-1
Bournemouth 4-0
Napoli 1-0
Man Utd 3-1
Wolves 2-0
Newcastle 4-0
Arsenal 5-1

White Christmas?
Naah, fucking Red December.

Red December! Hope we will be putting this in songs about this season!

Here's my report from the Kop:

Well, an hour before Kick Off we were nestled into Hotel TIA where Jamie Webster was warming us all up with that lovely VVD song, some bloke running down the wing and something about conquering all of europe.... It was very good.

As I dropped my son off to the Annie Road end, Wolves had equalised against our nearest rivals - Spurs, yes Spurs who really can't be our rivals but yes they are - well for a week or so. Then as we started walking towards the Kop - Wolves had taken the lead. My kid daughter who is now 19 just had this glint in her eyes - "Its Happening". Yes, that one.

By the time we walked pass the Hillsborough memorial, Wolves had scored a 3rd and pretty much guaranteed a win, against our nearest rival spurs.
Yes, Spurs.

All day, all I heard is how Arsenal were there for the taking, and we would smash them and win comfortably. Maybe, I'm too old - but I wasn't having it. Maybe, I listen too much to Jurgen too. Any win would do, but this was going to be tougher than we thought. We don't do things in a straightforward way, we are Liverpool.

In we go to find our seats - stadium buzzing. You could smell it. "Its Happening". Yes that smell.

My friend had earlier sent me a link about a Guardian Podcast from about a month ago where Barry Glendenning (one of their chief writers) was saying that City will win the league by 15 points and we will finish below Arsenal. If you want a laugh, worth a listen.

Anyway, match starts and somehow Arsenal score. There was a momentary silence, then we all found our voices again. We are going to score, lets do this. "Its Happening".

And then, bang bang. A blurry few minutes, but Bobby has scored twice. The first had a bit of luck, the second was just pure Kung Fu in the way Bobby does.

Yes, it is happening, right in front of us. I had a bloke next to me who was complaining about every single misplaced pass, or even if it was not the pass he thought we should make - I think he has gotten into this habit of complaining - I know he didn't mean it. Because then we had the 3rd and that followed with another penalty. We get loads at Anfield don't we. It's Happening.

Half time I went for a quick beer and watched the goals again on the telly. Wow. Bobby's goal. And Salah's pen was a pen all day and night long. You could see it in everyone eyes, smell it in the air, feel the momentum. It is most definitely on.

2nd half came and went - some new songs were tested out - I liked the Fabinho one - "He's Tall, He's Red. He scores with his Bald head. Fabinho"

We got another pen. Salah gives it to Bobby, who secures the match ball.

Hendo took a wild shot - and we all start asking "What the Fucking Hell was that" - Hendo raises his arms to apologise. That is Kop humour in case anyone doesn't get it. We wouldn't have sung that if it were 1-1.

And so the match ends.

As I walk out to our meeting point, I think of Origi and 96th minute, Allison and he's numerous saves - Brighton, Everton, Burnley etc, Sturridge and Chelsea, Mahrez penalty heading for the moon. All teams have a slice of luck - damn City had loads last year - how many injury time winners?

But its happening, everyone senses it, feels it, knows it and sees it. But let's listen to Jurgen and take it one at a time. 2018 has been remarkable, and this team is the real deal. We are Liverpool.
What an amazing post! Thanks for this!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Definitive. Arsenal need to stop bleating, and the pundits - who seem a bit anti-Mo/pro-Harry for my tastes, need to be a bit more objective.

This is a foul all day long. More than one foul. Clear penalty.
To be fair most of the pundits commentating around the game didn’t have a problem.

FGred

What a brilliant game last night! Couldn't believe how they blitzed the Gunners.
One bit of commentary from the BBC's Steve Wilson that stuck with me was that Bobby had a little "Samba Swivel" to beat the Arsenal defence.

That reminded me of a lyric I wrote for Bobby on Bellini's Samba de Janeiro. That song is so catchy! In my opinion it is as catchy as the Torres bounce and the Suarez song were. I had it on my phone for a few weeks and decided to post it online. I actually saw there have been many attempts at a song for him, but none have stuck yet. Would love to hear what you think.

Cheers! YNWA
Well done mate can you try it with the Lambada tune?

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I know everyone is rightly trying to keep a lid on the euphoria, aware that we got badly burnt in 13/14 but it just felt like a celebration last night. Hard not to get ahead of yourself when you are witnessing something this magnificent.

Arsenal decided that attack was the best form of defence against us which of course it isn't. Their other mistake was scoring too early. It didn't feel like a major setback that might lead to self-doubt creeping in, everyone was so hyped up it just felt as though they had made us very angry and they were now about to be severely punished for it, and they were.

What a choice facing teams against us now. Don't score and lose, or score and get fucking battered. Beautiful.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Their other mistake was scoring too early. It didn't feel like a major setback that might lead to self-doubt creeping in, everyone was so hyped up it just felt as though they had made us very angry and they were now about to be severely punished for it, and they were.
Think it was wright who exclaimed over why arsenal had to make Liverpool angry on live TV.

That was glorious

Red over the water

To be fair most of the pundits commentating around the game didn’t have a problem.
That's good to hear. Cheers. Over here (America) there was a whiff of it, and after watching Harry Kane rob us last season, and go down all day long at the slightest of touches, I'd love to see the media jump on him. He claimed a goal at the faintest of touches - that the cameras didn't pick up, and swore on the life of his new baby that it was his goal. Charming. Mo handed his penalty to Firmino to score and bag his hat-trick.

I see a massive difference in their character, and possibly I'm a bit sensitive to Harry being the darling of England, while Mo gets short-shrift as the diver. To my eyes our man usually tries to stay on his feet and play on, even after being fouled, and sometimes it is to the detriment of extracting maximum opportunity in the moment; but the way he plays is for the good of the game.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
That's good to hear. Over here (America) there was a whiff of it, and after watching Harry Kane rob us last season, and go down all day long at the slightest of touches, I'd love to see the media jump on him. He claimed a goal at the faintest of touches - that the cameras didn't pick up, and swore on the life of his new baby that it was his goal. Charming. Mo handed his penalty to Firmino to score and bag his hat-trick.

I see a massive difference in their character, and possibly I'm a bit sensitive to Harry being the darling of England, while Mo gets short-shrift as the diver. To my eyes our man usually tries to stay on his feet and play on, even after being fouled, and sometimes it is to the detriment of extracting maximum opportunity in the moment; but the way he plays is for the good of the game.
There is always the nationalistic bent while looking at the antics of various sportsmen in their native countries....

Limiescouse

Every bit of punditry (bar Lee Dixon) i’ve seen have been in complete agreement it was a 100% nailed on penalty. I don’t know why it’s even being discussed. He had two nibbles at the back of Salah and got nothing of the ball.

The Lovren one is dubious, but he shouldn’t be charging into him like that. They are rarely given, but would be a foul anywhere else on the pitch.
I also think it is possible he had a word with them about some borderline ones prior because he overlooked a few that were much clearer, yet he was so dismissive of their protests. He could even be seen calling Kolasinac stupid, almost as if you have to be stupid to keep doing something I have told you to stop.

Ajy discussion on the Salah one is just dumb. Mo suckered him in, put him in a position where he couldnt make a legal challenge and then the defender chose to go through the back of him in an attempt to win the ball anyway.

Alright Now

Here's my report from the Kop:

Well, an hour before Kick Off we were nestled into Hotel TIA where Jamie Webster was warming us all up with that lovely VVD song, some bloke running down the wing and something about conquering all of europe.... It was very good.

As I dropped my son off to the Annie Road end, Wolves had equalised against our nearest rivals - Spurs, yes Spurs who really can't be our rivals but yes they are - well for a week or so. Then as we started walking towards the Kop - Wolves had taken the lead. My kid daughter who is now 19 just had this glint in her eyes - "Its Happening". Yes, that one.

By the time we walked pass the Hillsborough memorial, Wolves had scored a 3rd and pretty much guaranteed a win, against our nearest rival spurs.
Yes, Spurs.

All day, all I heard is how Arsenal were there for the taking, and we would smash them and win comfortably. Maybe, I'm too old - but I wasn't having it. Maybe, I listen too much to Jurgen too. Any win would do, but this was going to be tougher than we thought. We don't do things in a straightforward way, we are Liverpool.

In we go to find our seats - stadium buzzing. You could smell it. "Its Happening". Yes that smell.

My friend had earlier sent me a link about a Guardian Podcast from about a month ago where Barry Glendenning (one of their chief writers) was saying that City will win the league by 15 points and we will finish below Arsenal. If you want a laugh, worth a listen.

Anyway, match starts and somehow Arsenal score. There was a momentary silence, then we all found our voices again. We are going to score, lets do this. "Its Happening".

And then, bang bang. A blurry few minutes, but Bobby has scored twice. The first had a bit of luck, the second was just pure Kung Fu in the way Bobby does.

Yes, it is happening, right in front of us. I had a bloke next to me who was complaining about every single misplaced pass, or even if it was not the pass he thought we should make - I think he has gotten into this habit of complaining - I know he didn't mean it. Because then we had the 3rd and that followed with another penalty. We get loads at Anfield don't we. It's Happening.

Half time I went for a quick beer and watched the goals again on the telly. Wow. Bobby's goal. And Salah's pen was a pen all day and night long. You could see it in everyone eyes, smell it in the air, feel the momentum. It is most definitely on.

2nd half came and went - some new songs were tested out - I liked the Fabinho one - "He's Tall, He's Red. He scores with his Bald head. Fabinho"

We got another pen. Salah gives it to Bobby, who secures the match ball.

Hendo took a wild shot - and we all start asking "What the Fucking Hell was that" - Hendo raises his arms to apologise. That is Kop humour in case anyone doesn't get it. We wouldn't have sung that if it were 1-1.

And so the match ends.

As I walk out to our meeting point, I think of Origi and 96th minute, Allison and he's numerous saves - Brighton, Everton, Burnley etc, Sturridge and Chelsea, Mahrez penalty heading for the moon. All teams have a slice of luck - damn City had loads last year - how many injury time winners?

But its happening, everyone senses it, feels it, knows it and sees it. But let's listen to Jurgen and take it one at a time. 2018 has been remarkable, and this team is the real deal. We are Liverpool.
This is fantastic! Thanks for taking the time. I had goosebumps building as I read it. Could sense the build-up, tension, and thrill.

Wish I could see your mate again who was needling us for saying “something special is happening for the last 2 years at Anfield.” Send him my regards.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
This is fantastic! Thanks for taking the time. I had goosebumps building as I read it. Could sense the build-up, tension, and thrill.

Wish I could see your mate again who was needling us for saying “something special is happening for the last 2 years at Anfield.” Send him my regards.
I’m still waiting for your masterpiece of your time at anfield. Please make it happen.

And, yes the banter continues with my mate (arsenal fan) - I think he knows it’s happening.