• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 29/12/18 5.30pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson [off 82’]

• Fabinho

• Wijnaldum [off 76’]

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • Shaqiri

• Salah [GOAL 45+2’]

• Firmino [GOAL 14’, GOAL 16’, GOAL 65’]

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • Mane [off 61’, GOAL 32’]

• Henderson [on 61’]

• Lallana [on 76’]

• Clyne [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Werder4life

Quite entertaining this. Not even had time to get frustrated with Arsenal's opener - after that things escalated quickly. Bobby my Motm today. But everybody else is pretty close behind. Sadio's and Mo's interplay with Bobby was almost back where we saw them last season.
Gini , Virgil and Dejan had the boot firmly on Arsenal's play - very good pressing upfront - just Fab and Robbo had slightly shaky touches and passes inbetween , nothing turned out serious though.
Alisson's distribution proved deadly once again.

Can't see any weaknesses atm - just brilliant. Bodes very well for the away against ManC.

Arsenal forums in total meltdown - somewhat understandable - I wouldn't have liked that either...

Last edited:

Red Armada

TIA Regular
That was a bit anticlimactic for me. I know we played some wonderful stuff but honestly it feels like we never hit top gear. In fact there were periods in which we didn't look convincing especially in the first half.

Yet we scored 5 against Arsenal. And looked like we could get another 5 if we really wanted to. Granted, defensively they were atrocious but still the interplay was mesmerizing at times. That's how good we've become. Beating Arsenal by 4 goals without breaking a sweat; just ruthlessly taking advantage of their errors.

What a month December has been. Nothing but victories. Here's to January following suit, starting with the Manc game.

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
great win and hope we keep the momentum going for ALL the games to come
really happy for Firminho, but truth be told all the lads put in a decent shift.
off to have a whiskey or two or three, f**k it down the bottle for Klopp and the lads

Libero

Liverpool defenders Virgil van Dijk and Andy Robertson speaking to BT Sport:

Van Dijk: "We know they are dangerous on the break with their speed up front. It was unlucky that we conceded but we reacted how we should react and think we deserved it today."

"We still need to improve a lot of things. We are very happy with situation at the moment, we have to keep intensity high and continue in this way.
"Anything is possible. We are in a good way, it’s tough but it’s a great time to be a Liverpool player."

Robertson: "A misplaced pass caught us out. We reacted well, got on level terms quickly and from there I think we dominated and took the game out of sight.

"[Manchester City] is a huge one. Everyone in the squad has been looking at. But in December we’ve knocked the games off one by one and we’ve now got a healthy lead. We look forward to it. We will rest now and prepare for that game."

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Another good day. Spurs lost, the blueshite lost and we rinsed Arsenal. Bring on MOTD later, can’t wait to see Lineker’s face after this.

Libero

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp speaking to BBC Match of the Day:

"It’s clear it was a wide game. We were really good and did exactly what we wanted to do. We wanted to press them and cut off their build up. They pressed us as well so it was wild. But then when you get the ball you need to calm down.

"The response [to Arsenal's goal] was world class. We stayed clam and really forced the mistakes. Bobby’s [Firmino] second when Sadio [Mane] won the ball. Wow. It was perfect defending.

"We knew in the second half that the game wasn’t finished so we wanted to control it. Mo Salah gave the penalty to Bobby and I almost cried because we all know how much Mo wants to score goals. It was really nice.

"Overall 5-1 against Arsenal doesn’t happen too often so I’m really happy with the boys."