POST MATCH: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 29/12/18 5.30pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson [off 82’]

• Fabinho

• Wijnaldum [off 76’]

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • Shaqiri

• Salah [GOAL 45+2’]

• Firmino [GOAL 14’, GOAL 16’, GOAL 65’]

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • Mane [off 61’, GOAL 32’]

• Henderson [on 61’]

• Lallana [on 76’]

• Clyne [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dockers_strike

Simply breath taking today. I was a bit apprehensive about the game even though Spurs had lost by the time we kicked off. Now, we had a chance to go 9 points clear, unbelievable.

We started like a team on fire and it looked only a matter of time before we scored. But, yet again, the goal we conceeded was because of fannying around at the back. I understand our players feel confident enough to play the ball about instead of slamming it anywhere upfield but sometimes, as Alan Hansen used to say, "Just launch it!" We didnt and Arsenal scored.

It mattered not because in a couple of minutes we were level thanks to the arse of an Arsenal player, the ball rebounding to Bobby who promptly buried for the equaliser. I dont think I really had time to sit down after celebrating that when Bobby displayed some of the finest samba skills outside of the Copacabana Beach and left arsenal's central defenders on their arses as he sank number 2.

This was breathless football and around 40 minutes, Robbo put a great ball into Mo whose deft touch set Sadio to smash the ball in the net for number 3. Anfield was rocking.

The fourth official had just held up the board to show the added time when Mo again burst into the box on the arsenal left. Near the bye line he was unceremoniously hacked to the ground. Frankly, I dont know what the arsenal player was complaining at if he felt that was a harsh pen! Mo go up to smash number 4 past Leno. Game over!

In the second half, arsenal still had some chances but in reality the midfield and defence took care of them. It was a bit disappointing we only got one more goal in the second half but there was no need to run ourselves silly in a game we had by the throat with the game against city on the horizon. I never had a doubt Bobby wouldnt score his pen for his hattrick.

Jurgen then brought on the subs to give Mane a rest. Robbo was subbed almost immediately after an arsenal player made a meal over a tackle in an effort to get him a second yellow but the ref was having none of it. Lallana came on for Gini. Jurgen must really love Lallana, I just think he cannot tackle and Keita would have been a better move.

So at the end of the game we indeed find ourselves 9 points clear of second placed Spurs. Looking at some match reports, the same old tired hacks just cannot resist mentioning 2014 and how we lost an 8 point lead over city or, how we are now the hunted and can we stand the pressure.

All I'll say is this. If people want to compare this team and this title challenge to 2014, knock yourselves out. There's no similarity. This is a team that is solid all the way through. The attack is good. The midfield is good. The defence is good. The keeper stops shots. The bench is good. The team doesnt leak goals like a sive. This team is in control of its destiny that comes ever closer with every passing game now.

wibseyred

Lallana came on for Gini. Jurgen must really love Lallana, I just think he cannot tackle and Keita would have been a better move.
I think it's more clear that Klopp doesn't trust Keita yet as he was the logical change for Mane. It's noticeable he's not putting him on even in games that are in the bag.

Clive

What a month it’s been - quite breathtaking.

Great time to play City no matter what they do tomorrow. We’re in top form and will real threat at Etihad.

I loved the scenes and noise in the crowd - it must have been a great atmosphere knowing at half time that the points were basically safe.

The team is just purring at the moment. I remember having a slight concern at 0-1 with Shaq and a lack of protection for TAA - all the early attacks seemed to be coming from that side. But then we just destroyed them almost immediately.

Great times, let’s hope 2019 brings the rewards for what’s been a fantastic 2018.

Red over the water

That seemed like a game from last season, when we were blowing teams away. Arsenal came and had a go, and we sort of opened up and killed them. We stopped playing with 25 mins to go or else we could have scored 7 or 8.

There’s a great maturity to the side and being complete in all departments has meant we have amassed a lot of points. The word that has come to the fore this season is ‘control’. We have controlled games and won them comfortably. Today was a bit different, as Arsenal came and had a go, but the outcome was just devastating for them.

On to Man City now. In all likelihood they will be 7 points behind but you can’t be sure, as none of us expected their two Christmas losses. We have a real chance to put a nail in their coffin if we go 10 points clear of them at their place. And I think we will do it too, as the team just looks so good.

Red over the water

I don’t know what’s going to happen with Origi, but if we do sell him, he gets a well deserved footnote on this season for that winner at Everton. After being out of the picture for a long time I thought we had seen the last of him, but I’m made up that he scored the winner against them, especially after what happened with Funes Mori.

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
What the hell was happening here? Why was Sokratis was having a go at Mo. Our Virgil stepped in as well. I loved the way, our players look out for one another. Our Virgil is going to make a great leader one day and I would not be surprised if he becomes manager after he retires from playing football. He is a very charismatic and formidable personality.

Last edited:

Commando

Lineker interviewing Neil (Botox) Warnock on MOTD and twice the old fart had to bring up the Mo Salah penalty! FFS!
I noticed that as well. As a side note, are MOTD highlighting any save Pickford makes like its a worldy or am I imagining it? Its like they're trying to rebuild his confidence because he's Engerland's first choice keeper.

Lynch04

Smeg Head
It was funny. I wathed the game on my own, but with a few Arsenal fans. They went one up and one of the lads shook my hand in a haha moment. I took it graciously, but lets just after the third returned handshake he disappeared.
A performance of champions, i have every bone crossed that we see this through because this is the most comfortable iv felt about a Liverpool team in my life time!

Barnestormer

Left wing.
What the hell was happening here? Why was Sokratis was having a go at Mo. Our Virgil stepped in as well. I loved the way, our players look out for one another. Our Virgil is going to make a great leader one day and I would not be surprised if he becomes manager after he retires from playing football. He is a very charismatic and formidable personality.

I reckon big Virg is genuinely hard as nails :shocked: