• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

POST MATCH: Liverpool v Arsenal (EPL 29/12/18 5.30pm)

Man of the Match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lovren

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Van Dijk

• Robertson [off 82’]

• Fabinho

• Wijnaldum [off 76’]

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • Shaqiri

• Salah [GOAL 45+2’]

• Firmino [GOAL 14’, GOAL 16’, GOAL 65’]

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • Mane [off 61’, GOAL 32’]

• Henderson [on 61’]

• Lallana [on 76’]

• Clyne [on 82’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
He was accusing him of diving, he had a go before the penalty was taken too. It was a clear infringement, twice, and the ref gave it right. The Lovren penalty was more questionable but by then the game was well and truly gone.
Oh, I see, thanks for that. I think we still would have won anyway even without the penalties given.

Redopium

That was unbelievable we gifted them a goal and gave them false hope before ripping them to shreds,emery celebrated their goal as if it was in injury time what a twat, Fabinho took about 20 mins before he got to grips with the game but gini was outstanding throughout and was my man of match, mo giving Firmino the second penalty shows the commadery in the squad it's enough to bring a tear to the eye, up next is city we must not lose. :celebrating::celebrating::celebrating:

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member

Our manager is so passionate about the game. He lives and breathes football 24/7. There is definitely this togetherness and comradeship within the squad, no big egoes, they all look out for each other. It has been a tough month, eight games in one month is hell of alot of football to take on the human body as well as mental tiredness. They seem to have managed quite well.

Last edited:

Alright Now

The most pleasing aspect of our result is the fact Man City is not a result we must win. It would be nice to win but regardless of result. We will remain top of the league. Who would have thought we could play Arsenal and City twice and still be guaranteed top spot. Amazing so far.
Yes. Going to be interesting to see Jurgen's mindset. A draw is fine, but I'm not sure he approaches matches that way. Perhaps City's mind set may help us...they have to come at us at this point, I assume. And we wait and wait and then that jugular thing.

But that's for another day.

wibseyred

The most pleasing aspect of our result is the fact Man City is not a result we must win. It would be nice to win but regardless of result. We will remain top of the league. Who would have thought we could play Arsenal and City twice and still be guaranteed top spot. Amazing so far.
If we go in with the attitude we don't need to win we will lose.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Bobby gets his act together and we are now at 100%, guns blazing, all systems go! Set the controls for the top of the league!

Unfortunately, I didn't see the game due to being asleep. Hate those 5:30 kick offs. I'm sure there are some out there who are right now busy typing out "Well you know what you can do on Jan 3! Enjoy your lie in!" Fat chance of that.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Yes. Going to be interesting to see Jurgen's mindset. A draw is fine, but I'm not sure he approaches matches that way. Perhaps City's mind set may help us...they have to come at us at this point, I assume. And we wait and wait and then that jugular thing.

But that's for another day.
That is the real significance - City need to attack, the longer the match goes, the more pressure builds on them. We won't go and park the bus, but we can play with some patience.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Anyone else think Henderson was absolutely brilliant when he came on? It's the 2nd time he's had Fabinho playing behind him and it's the 2nd time he's looked fantastic GOING FORWARD. Couple of absolutely banging passes, wouldn't mind that in a starting role with Shaqiri moved to the left to bench Mane (whom has been really really wank again today, goal aside he was terrible).

That line up seems to give Henderson a little more comfort that he can he get further forward, also means our pressing is a little higher up the pitch with his energy.

Alright Now

Anyone else think Henderson was absolutely brilliant when he came on? It's the 2nd time he's had Fabinho playing behind him and it's the 2nd time he's looked fantastic GOING FORWARD. Couple of absolutely banging passes, wouldn't mind that in a starting role with Shaqiri moved to the left to bench Mane (whom has been really really wank again today, goal aside he was terrible).

That line up seems to give Henderson a little more comfort that he can he get further forward, also means our pressing is a little higher up the pitch with his energy.
I agree that Hendo was very good again, and he is now relatively rested and ready to start at City perhaps. His passing was assertive and he added defensive stability. Having said that, I thought Sadio was excellent too: terrific work rate, movement, and defense (his tackle was crucial to Bobby’s goal).

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Bringing Henderson pretty much shut out any space they were getting in the middle.

I am going praise Olivier, Salah is badly (as in crap) tackled twice and though it’s soft, if he doesn’t nibble that second time Oliver probably doesn’t give it, same with the Newcastle on earlier in the week, it’s needless and it’s impeding the player. The Lovern one is not the worst infringement but he still shoves him, Arsenal’s also should have been later on but if they are leaning on them decisions being the decisive factor then they won’t learn, the game was dead from Mane’s goal onwards, I remember one other chance after that, also our back line was again good on set pieces.

Xhaka should have got a second yellow card but didn’t, and I’m glad he didn’t, I want teams to fear us, stuff like that always allows teams and fans to suggest it was lucky but truth be told the forward line destroyed that defence tonight, I couldn’t see Arsenal sitting back on that lead but I knew we needed to draw level quickly for the grounds sake and also to knock the confidence out of Arsenal who had if honest had started poorly.

To be fair Robertson could have got a second just before he went off and the Arsenal player knew that, but again Oliver was leiniant and moments later Clyne came on.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
I did enjoy that we toyed with them after the first half mauling and their pissyness just makes the 5-1 scoreline against them just seem so much more satisfying,Bobby MOTM but Gini very close second.felt a bit drunk after watching that even though i've had fuck all to drink,

Magnus

Bringing Henderson pretty much shut out any space they were getting in the middle.

I am going praise Olivier, Salah is badly (as in crap) tackled twice and though it’s soft, if he doesn’t nibble that second time Oliver probably doesn’t give it, same with the Newcastle on earlier in the week, it’s needless and it’s impeding the player. The Lovern one is not the worst infringement but he still shoves him, Arsenal’s also should have been later on but if they are leaning on them decisions being the decisive factor then they won’t learn, the game was dead from Mane’s goal onwards, I remember one other chance after that, also our back line was again good on set pieces.

Xhaka should have got a second yellow card but didn’t, and I’m glad he didn’t, I want teams to fear us, stuff like that always allows teams and fans to suggest it was lucky but truth be told the forward line destroyed that defence tonight, I couldn’t see Arsenal sitting back on that lead but I knew we needed to draw level quickly for the grounds sake and also to knock the confidence out of Arsenal who had if honest had started poorly.

To be fair Robertson could have got a second just before he went off and the Arsenal player knew that, but again Oliver was leiniant and moments later Clyne came on.
I was slightly dissapointed with oliver to be honest. He is a good ref, but the red card to Xhaka (for kicking the ball away) was obvious and Arsenal was also robbed of a penalty I thought. That is two grave mistakes in a big game. Not his best day on the field I reckon. Otherwise, I agree with the rest you say.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
Totally excited. Riding high. I have a semi.

Buuuuttttt. 2 weeks ago people were talking about whether Man City was making a joke of the league (even though we were only two points behind them).
We are in the drivers seat, but let’s not start ordering the championship parade and rings yet.
Totally a great team and I think we get it over the line. I just want to caution people that in all likelihood we will suffer a dip in the normal ebb and flow of the season, and we shouldn’t panic over it

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
I agree that Hendo was very good again, and he is now relatively rested and ready to start at City perhaps. His passing was assertive and he added defensive stability. Having said that, I thought Sadio was excellent too: terrific work rate, movement, and defense (his tackle was crucial to Bobby’s goal).
How about the pass he had where he no look chipped it 30 yards to his left to hit the teammate in stride! It was a touch of creativity and class that he gets almost no recognition for having

Limiescouse

Mane was superb. Even when it is isnt obviously coming off for him he gives his defenders absolute fits, and today he worked his socks off defensively. He's just a horrible bastard to play against. and that takes its toll. The goals are a bonus.