Post match: Liverpool v Athletico Madrid (UCL 11/3/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Robertson

• Henderson [off 105’]

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 43’, off 105’]

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 82’]

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • Salah

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 94’, off 114’]

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mane

• Milner [on 82’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fabino [on 105’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 105’]

• Minamino [on 114’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Adrian, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Well, that was wank.

The ref started poorly, refusing to book Atlético players when they surrounded him or dived/committed niggly fouls and Costa for general petulance/ cuntishness, but gradually found his feet and had a solid game overall. However, he should have blown for a foul on Gini in the build-up to Atlético’s second goal.

The electric early home atmosphere was in danger of petering out when an excellent Oxlade-Chamberlain cross was nodded home expertly by Gini two minutes before the halftime whistle and Anfield was rocking again. Plaudits for the cross and header but the movement by Mané to create the space for Gini was outstanding.

The second half was pretty much one-way traffic; we spurned several good chances and how Robbo’s header didn’t hit the back of the net I still don’t know.

Had it not been for the quality of Oblak in the visitors’ goal, we could have been out of sight; even so, we were simply wasteful and were ultimately punished for our profligacy.

Spot-on decision by the assistant referee to disallow Atlético’s late “winner”- it was clearly offside.

Adrián will get pilloried for his poor clearance but the simple fact is that the game should not have gone to extra time- we were ridiculously wasteful in the second half. And Virgil didn’t exactly cover himself in glory for their second goal.

Oh well; at least we can now focus on the league.

MOTM: those fine chocolatiers at Valrhona. For any fans of dark chocolate, try their 85% cacao Abinao, full of dark fruits, swirling tannic flavours and a touch of tropical spice. Absolutely breathtaking.

won it at-a-turk stadium

TIA Regular Simpsons quoter
Ah well. Losing because of your own mistake when you're leading in extra time hurts

But we'll move on. Get the League done and give some the first team a bit of a rest, and some kids (and Lonergan) a game or two (not a full team of kids though)

Hopefully Atletico puts out Man City and then do their traditional choke and hopefully they don't qualify next season in La Liga.

Chamberlain or Henderson MOM. Salah and fullbacks solid.

alaskared

Kloppite
Gutted on the result but elated on the performance. We were fucking brilliant until a mistake ( or two) made us lose.
Robbo alone could have had a hat trick. Mane was back , Salah causing all kinds of problems, Gini, Hendo, OX brilliant. Fantastic performance.
Back up keepers by definition will not be up to par, if they were they would be starters at dozens of other clubs.

NJred8

TIA New Signing
Hold your heads up boys, mama said there would be days like this!!
I know we will lose big/tough games, but we are so so so much better than this shit team. Outclassed them all day long and still lost.. To lose on another goalkeeping mistake it's just so damn brutal.

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
Will still be champions of England.
My only concern is that the league might cancel with this virus.
Juventus season could be over if they quarantine themselves and it’s possible the champions league might just shut up shop anyway.
Let’s just get this title before the world ends.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
What an embarrassing performance from our front three, sorry but they were utterly shit. Every decision wrong, weak shooting.. They need proper competition because their form has dropped off a cliff. The midfield and fullbacks won that game and our front 3 lost it.

Fucking jelly keeper, we are cursed.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
I’m not to disheartened. If Alisson plays we win. Simple. We’ve lost the best keeper in world to injury and look at what Oblak brought to Madrid. A top class keeper makes all the difference.
We’ve absolutely dominated them.
Adrians not used to not concentrating when having fuck all to do.
But he has been at fault for a few goals now so it’s a concentration thing.

Danny_

This feels like the CL final against Madrid all over again. Adrian shows why he is a no.2 keeper. I am not sure that he is even good enough for that spot. We should have won that game. We are out. But you know what - we are almost over the finish line in the league and if you had asked me if I would settle for that at the start of the season, I would have bitten your hand off.

Magnus

I am going to comment tomorrow instead of now. Better to discuss the damned corona virus than the ending of this game right now.
I hope you all get a good nights sleep. At least we will win one grand title, winning the Champions League as well was always a long shot anyway.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Adrian made a mistake and it cost us the game. We know it. He knows it. Everyone knows it. We don’t need to put the boot it. That would only make you the bellend. He’s been excellent up to now.

The upside to this is that we looked right back on it, and the performance was really good. Everton wouldn’t have been able to live with that. Now let’s get the league won before everything gets scrapped.

Fullmetal

Jedi Knight
That bloody goal changed the whole dynamic of the match.
The players were understandably demoralised.
Up till then we were magnificent.
It's a very cruel way to go out but I prefer to dwell on the positives, till 97min we played brilliantly.