Post match: Liverpool v Athletico Madrid (UCL 11/3/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Robertson

• Henderson [off 105’]

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 43’, off 105’]

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 82’]

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • Salah

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 94’, off 114’]

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mane

• Milner [on 82’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fabino [on 105’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 105’]

• Minamino [on 114’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedLar

As much as I hate Atletico and Simeone, their horrible tactics and cheating, I just don’t want City to win the Champions League ever! So I would probably get behind Atletico, if they were drawn against cheating, corrupt Citoil.
clearly, not as depressed as me then...... and sober at that.

Flobs

FADA
Hopefully Minamino starts to push Firmino as he was just awful, worst performance from him I've seen.
For me Firmino hasn't shown us anything the whole season. It's a shame he can be so good and vital yet without that touch of agression he becomes so easy for the opposition to play. Last night he waited for a pass and the defender just trotted to intercept that's far too sloppy.

I also became really frustrated with Salah and his poor decisssions and shooting, ok you can se the effort he makes but it all seems to be for nothing.

Anyway just disappointed for various reasons, the shit show a horrible team gave us, the shit show the ref allowed and our sloppyness that cost us so dearly. Those shitholes were for the taking and we didn't rub it in. Just to show what a shit ref we got, what were all those coaches, technical staff and replacements doing on the pitch every time they scored? Where was the 4th ref? where was the ref? sleeping? Yet 'we' can't say anything.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Gutted, gutted, gutted....'that trophy is ours' but alas not this year...let's go out now and batter any team in front of us...pls.
Wilco, technically, we are still current European Champions until May 31st. We will much better and more experienced next season. We just need to get over the line for the huge shiny thing. We will get there.

Flobs

FADA
I reckon it's not the style of play that's gnawing away at Klopp. He's said on plenty of occasions that there are different ways of playing the game and it's to to the opposition to break down these types of teams.

It's more likely the theatrics that come with it. The first leg was daylight robbery with the useless ref orchestrating the play acting that went on. The ref had history with us as well doing the same thing a year earlier.

Things like taking Mane off early as Atletico were using every trick from the book of dark arts, 2nd edition, with a forward from Ramos and Mourinho.

The second leg yesterday, we learned how to, mostly, avoid getting bogged down in their style of game by playing excellently and moving the ball around well. Just our finishing, Oblak and Adrian's concentration were in our way.

Replay many simulations of the first game, and we'd probably get beaten many times, due to our shit play, the ref, and AM nailing down their style. So credit due to them for their style there.

But we learned our lessons,and if you replay many simulations of last night's game, we'd come out on top 99 times out of 100. That's Klopp's frustration.

As for the media calling out a masterclass by Simione, it's just lazy journalism. The first leg can be labelled as such for Diego, but the second game he absolutely resembled a guy who put his last quid in a slot machine and won the jackpot.

Sport has these moments at times. It's why is it's so thrilling.

So I'm disappointed with getting knocked out, but not for the second leg performance, where we played excellently.

Now back to the league, and end this long wait.
i think Milner has to start matches against shitholes like we faced last night. No way should we be letting a 22 year old TAA get head butted by an opposition player. It's not for TAA to make amends for shit refs.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
This may well end up as a blessing in disguise. The lads will have less games to play and will be able to recharge nicely now. We were clearly the better side and we deserved to go through. It's a total injustice that we are out. Becker's injury proved decisive. How damn unlucky are we though?! We will be doubly determined to win this next season.

We can now focus on looking forward to bringing home No 19. Most of us would have taken that before another CL every single time.

Soon to be crowned champions of England, as Sir Bob called it, our "bread and butter".

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
Thought Salah had his best game in a while. Still wasteful but far more involved and threatening than usually. Firmino likewise; the most ineffective was Mane who missed some very good chances. They all ran their heart out though.
Perhaps but that doesn't take away the frustration that Noo Noo and I are talking about.

Flobs

FADA
They do I agree but Salah's ball retention is really starting to grind with me now. A lot of the time it's just sloppy. The effort is there and I applaud that but you cant create if you keep giving the ball away.
Then there's his incessant backing into the defender, there comes a moment you pull off to get the ball and if not get awarded the foul. If you keep backing up you end up playing into the defenders hands (the ref finds it hard to be sympathetic).

phil smith

Hard to take but I thought it was one of our best team performances of the season. A lot of people blaming Adrian but the guy had done okay up to last night. His mistake should not have mattered if we had been able to convert even one of the chances we created second half. All teams need a little bit of luck in most games but it didn’t happen for us last night. Everyone of those lads gave 100% last night and if we can produce form like that the Premiership will be all over in a couple of weeks time. YNWA.

LaurazRed

Gutted on the result but elated on the performance. We were fucking brilliant until a mistake ( or two) made us lose.
Robbo alone could have had a hat trick. Mane was back , Salah causing all kinds of problems, Gini, Hendo, OX brilliant. Fantastic performance.
Back up keepers by definition will not be up to par, if they were they would be starters at dozens of other clubs.
We deserved much more last night yes we missed chances but that's probably our best performance for some time. 100% percent agree with you on back up keepers, look at Oblak and how crucial he was.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
By the way, VVD was screaming at Adrian all game to speed things up. He was taking too long to restart things and allowing AM to get in shape again. Small details like this mean we can evaluate and analyse his performance without getting accused of picking on him.
It is bitterly ironic that speeding things up was exactly what led to his error. He was stuck in that 'we need a goal' mentality when we no longer did.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
It is bitterly ironic that speeding things up was exactly what led to his error. He was stuck in that 'we need a goal' mentality when we no longer did.
Huge mental pressure here, Karius crumbled, Adrian also.

Made even worse by the fact Alisson is so god dam freaking amazing.

1st goal aside I thought defensively we should have stopped them for the others. Not even 1 foul to bring him down etc.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member

As a club in their public relations, they seem really nice and down to earth compared to Real Madrid. They really appreciated LFC and the Anfield atmosphere. I really liked their message and we Liverpool fans maybe should be abit gracious in defeat. They had their luck on the night. Well done to them. We move on and concentrate on the league.

At least Fernando will be happy, his boyhood club got through.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

As a club in their public relations, they seem really nice and down to earth compared to Real Madrid. They really appreciated LFC and the Anfield atmosphere. I really liked their message and we Liverpool fans maybe should be a gracious in defeat. They had their luck on the night. Well done to them. We move on and concentrate on the league.

I'm not entirely sure what peoples problem is with Atletico? They compete against two superclubs who get every single advantage handed to them by the Spanish authorities. Yet still find a way to compete.

Yes they are snide, yes they play the dark arts and on the edge of "cheating", but honestly, so what? They have competed and succeeded for a long time - It's like people forgot the Rafa/Ged played defensive counter attack strategies they employed to very good effect in Europe.

You know they play this way, it's up to us to be better, to find a way. We didn't so fair play to them.

LaurazRed

As a club in their public relations, they seem really nice and down to earth. They really appreciated LFC and the Anfield atmosphere. I really liked their message and we Liverpool fans maybe should be a gracious in defeat. They had their luck on the night. Well done to them. We move on and concentrate on the league.

Some people are of course and I don't enjoy their style but football is not always played in a free flowing way. I will never be a fan of Diego Simieone though.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
I'm not entirely sure what peoples problem is with Atletico? They compete against two superclubs who get every single advantage handed to them by the Spanish authorities. Yet still find a way to compete.

Yes they are snide, yes they play the dark arts and on the edge of "cheating", but honestly, so what? They have competed and succeeded for a long time - It's like people forgot the Rafa/Ged played defensive counter attack strategies they employed to very good effect in Europe.

You know they play this way, it's up to us to be better, to find a way. We didn't so fair play to them.
What about their chairman/CEO(?) criticising Anfield as decrepit etc before the game? And the insulting and idiotic questions from their press to Klopp? There are several reasons they are disliked cunts

Incognito

The Normal One
When it comes to just this game, Adrian definitely was responsible for both the initial pass and then not basic shot stopping. Yes, the keeper is called limited number of times and therefore mistakes become more obvious, but unforced mistakes are not expected even from the second keeper. Get the basics right is what is expected, unfortunately that didn't happen, neither did he got a chance to redeem himself like he has done in many games.

This doesn't hide the fact that the forwards were really wasteful. When our defence has been rock solid, we have given leeway to our attackers to get away with not scoring that much. But when our defence is faltering, the onus does lie on the attack to ensure we outscore. Don't think it's as simple as they did enough to win the game but defence screwed up. The defense did enough numerous times this season to help us out with single goal leads. Blame lies on all, not one or two players.

Coming to the form of players throughout the season, and not just this game there are numerous views on every player - Salah, Bobby, Fabinho, VVD, Robbo, Adrian Keita, Lovren - some being accused of losing form throughout and a drop from previous season, some just being selectively called shit. But if so many of our players have been this out of form, there's no way we could be this ahead in the league.

Also this doesn't mean we shouldn't upgrade. We definitely should if given a chance and right players are available. But no way are individual players responsible for where we are - both the good in terms of running away with the league and the bad in terms of being knocked out of champions league.

Last edited:

Commando

Ad-free Member
We deserved much more last night yes we missed chances but that's probably our best performance for some time. 100% percent agree with you on back up keepers, look at Oblak and how crucial he was.
Oblak is not a back up keeper. I don’t know what Athletico’s back up keeper is like. But, I’m sure that he’s not as good as Oblak.

Last edited:

Wilkored08

As a club in their public relations, they seem really nice and down to earth compared to Real Madrid. They really appreciated LFC and the Anfield atmosphere. I really liked their message and we Liverpool fans maybe should be abit gracious in defeat. They had their luck on the night. Well done to them. We move on and concentrate on the league.

Read a report of 'Simeone' saying we were at a disadvantage with the away goal rule.... How nice of him...!!!!!!(aaarrrggghhh).

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
What about their chairman/CEO(?) criticising Anfield as decrepit etc before the game? And the insulting and idiotic questions from their press to Klopp? There are several reasons they are disliked cunts
"Their press"? You mean the Spanish media. Clutching there.

All clubs have idiot elements, I remember one of ours scuppering a pretty important deal with some slurring..

brush85

If he took a touch, he would have been pressed. Playing it first time was fine...playing it through the middle of the field. Less so.

Flobs

FADA
If he took a touch, he would have been pressed. Playing it first time was fine...playing it through the middle of the field. Less so.
All that needed to happen is the ball to go into the air he just hit it wrong in his hurry. Then again with that wind perhaps it would have come straight back anyway. :unsure:

Last edited:

Red Submarine

We've won the fucking lot.
I don't think we're as good as we were this time last year and this game came at the wrong time for us. But, shit happens and we go again! Just the small matter of wrapping up the league now and then injecting some new blood into the side for next season :)(y)