• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool v Athletico Madrid (UCL 11/3/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Robertson

• Henderson [off 105’]

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 43’, off 105’]

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 82’]

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • Salah

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 94’, off 114’]

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mane

• Milner [on 82’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fabino [on 105’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 105’]

• Minamino [on 114’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alright Now

I thought we played well too but we were wasteful :( I thought AM were very good too to be fair. Very little of the shithousery I was expecting and for the most part the ref was good too. Just one of those nights unfortunately!
That’s a fair point. But it’s unfair to use fair points against me.:)

My college roommate texted me right toward the end of the second half that he had a bad feeling we would rue the missed chances. Of course, I told him to leave me alone in my usual over optimistic way.

SBYM

What the fuck do you want?
Ad-free Member
That’s a fair point. But it’s unfair to use fair points against me.:)

My college roommate texted me right toward the end of the second half that he had a bad feeling we would rue the missed chances. Of course, I told him to leave me alone in my usual over optimistic way.
I hope there were four letter words involved.

Commando

Ad-free Member
All that needed to happen is the ball to go into the air he just hit it wrong in his hurry. Then again with that wind perhaps it would have come straight back anyway. :unsure:

No, the wind was blowing towards the ARE. I said to the lad next to me that those in the ARE would be getting piss wet through from the rain.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Anyways...a good article on the main page.

Just think about how JK got the lads to bounce back from Kiev.

Semis as a minimum next year, fucking guaranteed.
Speak for yourself, semis is what I've had for most of this year.

Redsi73

On reflection today, im not as gutted as i thought i would be.

It was an excellent game, and apart from some wayward finishing and the obvious error that rocked us we smashed ATM out of the park.

We're not going to win everything and shouuldn't expect to do so, and every cloud has a silver lining.............WE'RE GONNA WIN THE FUCKING LEAGUE

koptician

We'll go again!
Gave myself time before I came here. We were very unlucky. You can't legislate for the mistake and also the pitch cutting up at that moment. We should have won it in regulation time. I'm sure the club will learn from this (we learned from Real, and the previous league campaign). A bit more guile and creativity plus a bit more clinical finishing and we'd be easily through this tie. I'm sure Michael Edwards and the rest will take that under consideration the way we decisively went for Ali after the CL Final loss.
Have a lie down, read about the coronavirus, stay safe. We are winning the league after 30 years and we are world champions. That will more than do for me thank you very much. YNWA!!!

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Yes I was upset, but, we played well and I think were the better team, and were treated pretty unfairly in the important first leg. With another ref in the first leg we may have one. BUT Im glad we got so far, and we are still the CL champions and we are about to win the league, the manager is great, the owners are great, the club is in great condition with everyone pulling in the right direction, the squad is still young and hungry and CAN get better.
This one game will not destroy where we are at the moment, and what we have already achieved in a successful season.

SirBillShankly

We live in a fallen world.
I don't like the criticism Adrian is getting. Yes he was poor and cost us the game and further progress in Champions League. But EVERY player has a poor game. Let's not forget the games we won with him on the pitch.
Exactly. The weather conditions were appalling in his defence. I like Adrian, appears to be a brilliant character and he has been decent 'keeper for us most of the time hes been called upon.

However, his mistake last night and at Stamford Bridge are the major reason why we also got knocked out of the both cups.

I understand that' its unrealistict to expect faultless performance from a second choice, then again both errors really are avoidable. I think we can and should look to bring in a more reliable 'keeper in the Summer.

Notasuperfan

Anyways...a good article on the main page.

Just think about how JK got the lads to bounce back from Kiev.

Semis as a minimum next year, fucking guaranteed.
Next season, we will be aiming for the Treble to shove it in to all the Manure fans including THAT kid if history is anything to go by.

During the end of the 17/18 season, we lost the the CL final.
During the end of the 18/19 season, We won the CL final but lost the title by a point.
This season, we were serious contenders for the Treble but ended up crashing out of the FA cup and the CL so early, leaving us just the PL title to wrap up.

RedLar

I don't like the criticism Adrian is getting. Yes he was poor and cost us the game and further progress in Champions League. But EVERY player has a poor game. Let's not forget the games we won with him on the pitch.
You can surely admit he had a shit game - and still think him generally OK. Or not!

He still cost us the game. At least was a big factor in the defeat.

RedLar

Sorry I have something against statements like 'just winning the league'.

You all do know we have not won it for 30 years? And for those who said the league was long won, guess who put us in such a position, that our closest competitors basically conceded the title by Feb. its fucking ourselves who put ourselves in this position and I was expecting more respect and appreciation for what we achieve in the league. Yes we should have won everything but it is not 'just the league'
The 'disappointment' is borne out of the fact we rather had the league sewn up long ago. So perhaps a little more focus on cups might have helped. I reckoned we'd suffer in the CL and FA cups due to lack of sharpness we have cultivated against sides that simply sat back against us all season. That, and a clear lack of interest in the FA cup. Lest we play our first 11 against Chelsea away. So yeah, just the league, which we had won months back.

Seen us win the league 13 times. I know its the measure of the best in the country, but sorry, the CL carries more global prestige, and we suffered because of form dropped playing abysmal premier league opposition. You'd think, given the nature of 95% of our league games, we'd have sorted out playing against the parked bus, yet we ultimately struggled with it all year, as even the best sides do.

Not finding that way - finishing off Madrid last night - cost us as much as the keepers blunder.

Red over the water

The day after I'm a mixture of OK and frustrated.

Frustrated... because we had that. We played well, lots of chances, lots of the ball, just not quite finishing them off, and then an unfortunate keeper error. We were good and should have won easily, so I'm frustrated.

I'm also OK... we are a very good team indeed and we are going to win the league. I fully expect the manager to improve it all further in the summer too.

Increasingly, in the shadow of the coronavirus, there's a sense that football is becoming less important. At the same time it is also becoming more important, as that was one glorious distraction. But I half wonder if this year's CL will be canceled. I fully expect large public gatherings to be stopped. We've seen some of that so far but you would have to think as this takes hold there will be more. And we are seeing some players starting to go down with the virus too.

At some point I can see the whole thing being suspended, and then before you know it, we will be in next season's competition before this year's competition had a chance to complete.

Reigning European champions... for 2 years. It's coming.

There will be an asterisk in the history books on this year, but Liverpool will be the last team to go down as winners... and the next one too, when we do it next season.

Alright Now

The day after I'm a mixture of OK and frustrated.

Frustrated... because we had that. We played well, lots of chances, lots of the ball, just not quite finishing them off, and then an unfortunate keeper error. We were good and should have won easily, so I'm frustrated.

I'm also OK... we are a very good team indeed and we are going to win the league. I fully expect the manager to improve it all further in the summer too.

Increasingly, in the shadow of the coronavirus, there's a sense that football is becoming less important. At the same time it is also becoming more important, as that was one glorious distraction. But I half wonder if this year's CL will be canceled. I fully expect large public gatherings to be stopped. We've seen some of that so far but you would have to think as this takes hold there will be more. And we are seeing some players starting to go down with the virus too.

At some point I can see the whole thing being suspended, and then before you know it, we will be in next season's competition before this year's competition had a chance to complete.

Reigning European champions... for 2 years. It's coming.

There will be an asterisk in the history books on this year, but Liverpool will be the last team to go down as winners... and the next one too, when we do it next season.
I understand your view. However, for the good of the world, I hope we are safely reigning English champions into the next season and not European champions. The virus may impact many of us and so I hope all goes smoothly and titles fall into place as they may.