• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Post match: Liverpool v Athletico Madrid (UCL 11/3/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Robertson

• Henderson [off 105’]

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 43’, off 105’]

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 82’]

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • Salah

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 94’, off 114’]

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mane

• Milner [on 82’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fabino [on 105’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 105’]

• Minamino [on 114’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dutch

Ad-free Member
You can surely admit he had a shit game - and still think him generally OK. Or not!

He still cost us the game. At least was a big factor in the defeat.
Not only this game he fucked up the FA cup too. He made numerous blunders during his first bunch of matches but thanks to the team in front of him it did not cost us any points but since he stopped a penalty he has a bunch of fan-boys who are trying to tell us that he is the second goalkeeper so it is oke to stink on ice.

Not to me, we need to address this second goalkeeper in the summer, give Adrian his medal and wish him luck in Spain or wherever he wants to go as long it is not Liverpool.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
I hope not. This is anti-football. When Mourinho is implementing this style, all the pundits are against him. But when Simeone does it, its fine.

They stuck to their game plan and remained focused, and credit to them for that. But Iam not in any way supporting their style of play.
Sir, you talking about the same anti-football game plan that won us the CL 2019 Final?
Defense is an art too sir... Rafa's redmen won us the 2005 CL final through largely solid defense too...

In any case, why would you come to Anfield to try to pass the ball around? This cauldron is not for that... Game plan here for opposing team should be clear from the get go...

Noo Noo

Not only this game he fucked up the FA cup too. He made numerous blunders during his first bunch of matches but thanks to the team in front of him it did not cost us any points but since he stopped a penalty he has a bunch of fan-boys who are trying to tell us that he is the second goalkeeper so it is oke to stink on ice.

Not to me, we need to address this second goalkeeper in the summer, give Adrian his medal and wish him luck in Spain or wherever he wants to go as long it is not Liverpool.
So missing 34-36 opportunities on goal had no bearing on the game?

lfc.8

Not pleased. We should have won and duly qualified. We were much the better team. Not clinical enough plus the glaring goalkeeping mistake. Secondary to this is the loss of revenue.

Redopium

Gutted to lose out to such a horrible shower of cheating bastards.
If only we had a striker that could score even a quarter of the chances we created we would have mullered them.

Ron Swanson

Disappointed for 97 minutes we were possibly playing the best football we had all season.
Should of killed it off in 90 minutes but we didn't mainly thanks to Oblak who was just on another level last night, plus the woodwork twice.
Yeah Adrian's mistakes lost if for us and the way we lost hurts but people who have reacted to him the way they have ned to look at the bigger picture, we loved Reina he was prone to the odd crucial mistake so was Grobblar but you also need to see what Adrian has done for us this season he won us the Super cup and also wasn't for his contribution we be sitting 25 points at the top of the table.
Its football yes we are gutted we are out but we are back in it again next season to reclaim it.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Still won.

this is 100% correct.

they still won. which is the name of the game, its the ONLY stat that matters.

however, you cant help that think that even though they win a tie here and a tie there, a league a few years ago, maybe a cup (dunno, dont follow them), the point most people are making that its almost cowardly....this isnt a plucky underdog trying to match europes elite, theyve dined at the top table long enough to transfer into a better football team capable of winning more trophies.

theyve missed their oppurtunity in some regards, Barca and Real are NT what they used to be, especially Real who concentrated heavily on the European competitions for a while.

had Atletico transistioned into a better football team, maybe they would have actually picked up more domestic trophies.

its a valid point.

not to mention, theyve won no hearts with the shite they serve up= no expanding fan base= less chance to eat into the duopoly of Spain.

to me, theyve missed a beat, they are an annoyance that will knock you out of Europe once in a while, but never win it.

at some point , reactive football can only take you to a certain level.

the players they buy, deserve more.

but yes, they still beat the current holders....yay them. wont win the thing though....to regressive.

NJred8

TIA New Signing
No, they really are.

Criticising him for a mistake is one thing. Suggesting putting him on a rocket and sending him to the moon is another.

Who are you playing in goal on Monday? Andy Lonergan?

Sort yourself out. If you want to criticise the mistake, that’s fine. But don’t go overboard and attack the man.

Adrian is getting a league winners medal this year, and he has more than earned it.
Yes I was angry when I posted, but do you genuinely think I want to put him on a rocket and send him to the moon? It was hyperbole. I am not some psycho that's like threatening him, it was just a gripe. I am sure much much worse things were said about him at pubs last night around the world.

With that said, it was a poor costly mistake by Adrian. But you can see he has always had mistakes in him, he blows hot and cold.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Does anybody know the last time we were 2.0 up in a home game then lost. I don’t think has happened for at least 20 years but happy to be corrected.

South American Red

Champions League getting cancelled would be a shame for Shitmeone and his bunch. Let's face, if we play them 100 times, probably that's the only win they would get.

Got passed the reining Champions. Surely a boost to go ahead and win it, and then, plop, coronavirus screws them. Poor bastards.

As for Adrian, I am sure it was just a horrible day at the office. I would still keep him for next season and put all the money in a killer who can bury clear ocassions like yesterday's ones for fun.

YNWA

Last edited:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Sort yourself out. If you want to criticise the mistake, that’s fine. But don’t go overboard and attack the man.

Adrian is getting a league winners medal this year, and he has more than earned it.
Coincidentally, so has Dejan Lovren properly earned his winners medal and will properly collect it. Using your same logic of "performing when called upon", let me ask you, how many matches did Dejan play in during Liverpool's unbeaten streak? Let me save you some time, of the 18 consecutive winning streak this season he played in 8. Again, just using your same critierion. Yet after his 9th appearance, a loss to Watford, you seemed upset and a little overboard with directing that loss entirely at Lovren's boots. He hadn't earned any goodwill with you up to that point? The team's 4th choice CB? Or is he held to a different standard because you don't seem to be affording him the same grace and place in your heart you've given Adrian? I ask genuinely because it seems incongruent. I don't disagree with your stance about people flaming Adrian, but you're being a little self righteous, you did the same thing to Lovren.

Last edited:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Can anyone explain what is happening with Mo? I've been watching film of Mo from the past 3 seasons and he is very little semblance of the forward he's been the past 2 seasons prior to this one. His work rate still world class, making his gut busting runs down the channels, but that's literally where it ends. His passing is scattered, his turnovers per 90 are at an alarming rate and all time high, his shooting accuracy and range seem to have completely gone missing, and his pure ruthless edge in and around the box is shattered. I will forever love Mo and I will always have his back, he has pure magic in his boots and on top of that he's a great human being. It's heartbreaking watching a player of his class and skill struggle this mightily.

macca1970

I don't like the criticism Adrian is getting. Yes he was poor and cost us the game and further progress in Champions League. But EVERY player has a poor game. Let's not forget the games we won with him on the pitch.
Those calling death threat's and other such things are complete fools. Attacking the person? Idiots.

However, regarding football performance:

Criticism is good.
Criticism is healthy.

I think many are confusing criticism for abuse, and tarring anyone who has provided some analysis of Adrian's performances with the same brush as the complete idiots who have jumped on Adrian as a person.

So for example, if you analyse Adrian's three performances since his return:

Chelsea - gifted Willian's opener by fumbling it. Overall poor performance
Bournemouth - fumbled at shots, and flapped at balls coming into the box. My own rating for him in that match was 5 out of 10.
Atletico - a spectator for most of the match. Fumbled the one shot they had, though did well to recover and jump to the second ball. Then we all know what happened in extra time.

Adrian has done well at the start of the season. I've praised him. But he also made, as is normal, mistakes throughout the games. We were a well oiled machine for most of the season, and his mistakes haven't derailed us.

Even while praising him, in his player thread, I have pointed out his weaknessness, and the major one being his loss of concentration. And so it happened again. So people have the right to analyse and debate. I for one think that a keeper at a side like ours it is mandatory to have good concentration, as you will be called into action fewer times every game.

Now you can weigh up his good and bad points and decide wehter or not he is a good second keeper. If you come to the conclusion that he's not and offer some criticism, then that is ok.

If you step over the line and enter abuse teritory, then you are out of order.

sandsoftime

…. are we all missing the obvious here with Adrian... maybe it was just the occasion that effected him... in the same manner if impacts upon the opposing players? We must remember, the mentality of our players has been chiselled from the events of the last few seasons... it has hardened them... built up the grit and determination within them... we as fans have shown them what it means to us... Adrian for all his bravado... is a newbie after all..!
Not his fault... Not our fault.... But it is what it is.... He is our second choice keeper who doesn't go out with a masterplan to play badly in front of the fans or his family... He messed up badly, the fact his legacy at Anfield will remember him for that... is punishment enough eh!
Lets get Allison back asap and move on.... next season is there for the taking..!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Those calling death threat's and other such things are complete fools. Attacking the person? Idiots.

However, regarding football performance:

Criticism is good.
Criticism is healthy.

I think many are confusing criticism for abuse, and tarring anyone who has provided some analysis of Adrian's performances with the same brush as the complete idiots who have jumped on Adrian as a person.
I think people on here are forgetting that it's an internet forum, we're not in the stadium. It's a space open for discussion, not blind 'support' at every opportunity.

The vast majority of the stuff written about Adrian on here has fallen into the realms of reasonable criticism, rather than anything spiteful or nasty. It just looks dishonest to be anything other than highly critical of his performance given just how bad it was.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Just in the players forums and the only comments are about Adrian, what about positive posts about Gini, Ox or the return of Hendo and then there's the closing down and effort of the front 3 and the crunching tackle by Trent.

We are called supporters so support the players that were overall exceptional and on another night we could gave had 6.

For the most part of it we were fantastic as a team just lady luck wasnt with us.

Even had friends that are non Liverpool supporters, may even be a Manc supportter amongst them that thought it was an immense performance and we deserved more.