Post match: Liverpool v Athletico Madrid (UCL 11/3/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Robertson

• Henderson [off 105’]

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 43’, off 105’]

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 82’]

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • Salah

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 94’, off 114’]

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mane

• Milner [on 82’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fabino [on 105’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 105’]

• Minamino [on 114’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Notasuperfan

Anyways...a good article on the main page.

Just think about how JK got the lads to bounce back from Kiev.

Semis as a minimum next year, fucking guaranteed.
Next season, we will be aiming for the Treble to shove it in to all the Manure fans including THAT kid if history is anything to go by.

During the end of the 17/18 season, we lost the the CL final.
During the end of the 18/19 season, We won the CL final but lost the title by a point.
This season, we were serious contenders for the Treble but ended up crashing out of the FA cup and the CL so early, leaving us just the PL title to wrap up.

RedLar

I don't like the criticism Adrian is getting. Yes he was poor and cost us the game and further progress in Champions League. But EVERY player has a poor game. Let's not forget the games we won with him on the pitch.
You can surely admit he had a shit game - and still think him generally OK. Or not!

He still cost us the game. At least was a big factor in the defeat.

RedLar

Sorry I have something against statements like 'just winning the league'.

You all do know we have not won it for 30 years? And for those who said the league was long won, guess who put us in such a position, that our closest competitors basically conceded the title by Feb. its fucking ourselves who put ourselves in this position and I was expecting more respect and appreciation for what we achieve in the league. Yes we should have won everything but it is not 'just the league'
The 'disappointment' is borne out of the fact we rather had the league sewn up long ago. So perhaps a little more focus on cups might have helped. I reckoned we'd suffer in the CL and FA cups due to lack of sharpness we have cultivated against sides that simply sat back against us all season. That, and a clear lack of interest in the FA cup. Lest we play our first 11 against Chelsea away. So yeah, just the league, which we had won months back.

Seen us win the league 13 times. I know its the measure of the best in the country, but sorry, the CL carries more global prestige, and we suffered because of form dropped playing abysmal premier league opposition. You'd think, given the nature of 95% of our league games, we'd have sorted out playing against the parked bus, yet we ultimately struggled with it all year, as even the best sides do.

Not finding that way - finishing off Madrid last night - cost us as much as the keepers blunder.

Red over the water

The day after I'm a mixture of OK and frustrated.

Frustrated... because we had that. We played well, lots of chances, lots of the ball, just not quite finishing them off, and then an unfortunate keeper error. We were good and should have won easily, so I'm frustrated.

I'm also OK... we are a very good team indeed and we are going to win the league. I fully expect the manager to improve it all further in the summer too.

Increasingly, in the shadow of the coronavirus, there's a sense that football is becoming less important. At the same time it is also becoming more important, as that was one glorious distraction. But I half wonder if this year's CL will be canceled. I fully expect large public gatherings to be stopped. We've seen some of that so far but you would have to think as this takes hold there will be more. And we are seeing some players starting to go down with the virus too.

At some point I can see the whole thing being suspended, and then before you know it, we will be in next season's competition before this year's competition had a chance to complete.

Reigning European champions... for 2 years. It's coming.

There will be an asterisk in the history books on this year, but Liverpool will be the last team to go down as winners... and the next one too, when we do it next season.

Alright Now

The day after I'm a mixture of OK and frustrated.

Frustrated... because we had that. We played well, lots of chances, lots of the ball, just not quite finishing them off, and then an unfortunate keeper error. We were good and should have won easily, so I'm frustrated.

I'm also OK... we are a very good team indeed and we are going to win the league. I fully expect the manager to improve it all further in the summer too.

Increasingly, in the shadow of the coronavirus, there's a sense that football is becoming less important. At the same time it is also becoming more important, as that was one glorious distraction. But I half wonder if this year's CL will be canceled. I fully expect large public gatherings to be stopped. We've seen some of that so far but you would have to think as this takes hold there will be more. And we are seeing some players starting to go down with the virus too.

At some point I can see the whole thing being suspended, and then before you know it, we will be in next season's competition before this year's competition had a chance to complete.

Reigning European champions... for 2 years. It's coming.

There will be an asterisk in the history books on this year, but Liverpool will be the last team to go down as winners... and the next one too, when we do it next season.
I understand your view. However, for the good of the world, I hope we are safely reigning English champions into the next season and not European champions. The virus may impact many of us and so I hope all goes smoothly and titles fall into place as they may.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
You can surely admit he had a shit game - and still think him generally OK. Or not!

He still cost us the game. At least was a big factor in the defeat.
Not only this game he fucked up the FA cup too. He made numerous blunders during his first bunch of matches but thanks to the team in front of him it did not cost us any points but since he stopped a penalty he has a bunch of fan-boys who are trying to tell us that he is the second goalkeeper so it is oke to stink on ice.

Not to me, we need to address this second goalkeeper in the summer, give Adrian his medal and wish him luck in Spain or wherever he wants to go as long it is not Liverpool.

rippedshorts

TIA Regular
I hope not. This is anti-football. When Mourinho is implementing this style, all the pundits are against him. But when Simeone does it, its fine.

They stuck to their game plan and remained focused, and credit to them for that. But Iam not in any way supporting their style of play.
Sir, you talking about the same anti-football game plan that won us the CL 2019 Final?
Defense is an art too sir... Rafa's redmen won us the 2005 CL final through largely solid defense too...

In any case, why would you come to Anfield to try to pass the ball around? This cauldron is not for that... Game plan here for opposing team should be clear from the get go...

Noo Noo

Not only this game he fucked up the FA cup too. He made numerous blunders during his first bunch of matches but thanks to the team in front of him it did not cost us any points but since he stopped a penalty he has a bunch of fan-boys who are trying to tell us that he is the second goalkeeper so it is oke to stink on ice.

Not to me, we need to address this second goalkeeper in the summer, give Adrian his medal and wish him luck in Spain or wherever he wants to go as long it is not Liverpool.
So missing 34-36 opportunities on goal had no bearing on the game?

lfc.8

Not pleased. We should have won and duly qualified. We were much the better team. Not clinical enough plus the glaring goalkeeping mistake. Secondary to this is the loss of revenue.

Redopium

Gutted to lose out to such a horrible shower of cheating bastards.
If only we had a striker that could score even a quarter of the chances we created we would have mullered them.

Ron Swanson

Disappointed for 97 minutes we were possibly playing the best football we had all season.
Should of killed it off in 90 minutes but we didn't mainly thanks to Oblak who was just on another level last night, plus the woodwork twice.
Yeah Adrian's mistakes lost if for us and the way we lost hurts but people who have reacted to him the way they have ned to look at the bigger picture, we loved Reina he was prone to the odd crucial mistake so was Grobblar but you also need to see what Adrian has done for us this season he won us the Super cup and also wasn't for his contribution we be sitting 25 points at the top of the table.
Its football yes we are gutted we are out but we are back in it again next season to reclaim it.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Still won.

this is 100% correct.

they still won. which is the name of the game, its the ONLY stat that matters.

however, you cant help that think that even though they win a tie here and a tie there, a league a few years ago, maybe a cup (dunno, dont follow them), the point most people are making that its almost cowardly....this isnt a plucky underdog trying to match europes elite, theyve dined at the top table long enough to transfer into a better football team capable of winning more trophies.

theyve missed their oppurtunity in some regards, Barca and Real are NT what they used to be, especially Real who concentrated heavily on the European competitions for a while.

had Atletico transistioned into a better football team, maybe they would have actually picked up more domestic trophies.

its a valid point.

not to mention, theyve won no hearts with the shite they serve up= no expanding fan base= less chance to eat into the duopoly of Spain.

to me, theyve missed a beat, they are an annoyance that will knock you out of Europe once in a while, but never win it.

at some point , reactive football can only take you to a certain level.

the players they buy, deserve more.

but yes, they still beat the current holders....yay them. wont win the thing though....to regressive.

NJred8

TIA New Signing
No, they really are.

Criticising him for a mistake is one thing. Suggesting putting him on a rocket and sending him to the moon is another.

Who are you playing in goal on Monday? Andy Lonergan?

Sort yourself out. If you want to criticise the mistake, that’s fine. But don’t go overboard and attack the man.

Adrian is getting a league winners medal this year, and he has more than earned it.
Yes I was angry when I posted, but do you genuinely think I want to put him on a rocket and send him to the moon? It was hyperbole. I am not some psycho that's like threatening him, it was just a gripe. I am sure much much worse things were said about him at pubs last night around the world.

With that said, it was a poor costly mistake by Adrian. But you can see he has always had mistakes in him, he blows hot and cold.

epsomred

Give yourselves the chance to be heros
Ad-free Member
Does anybody know the last time we were 2.0 up in a home game then lost. I don’t think has happened for at least 20 years but happy to be corrected.

South American Red

Champions League getting cancelled would be a shame for Shitmeone and his bunch. Let's face, if we play them 100 times, probably that's the only win they would get.

Got passed the reining Champions. Surely a boost to go ahead and win it, and then, plop, coronavirus screws them. Poor bastards.

As for Adrian, I am sure it was just a horrible day at the office. I would still keep him for next season and put all the money in a killer who can bury clear ocassions like yesterday's ones for fun.

YNWA

Last edited: