Post match: Liverpool v Athletico Madrid (UCL 11/3/20 8pm)

Man of the match

• Adrian

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Gomez

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Robertson

• Henderson [off 105’]

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Wijnaldum [GOAL 43’, off 105’]

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Oxlade-Chamberlain [off 82’]

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • Salah

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Firmino [GOAL 94’, off 114’]

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mane

• Milner [on 82’]

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fabino [on 105’]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Origi [on 105’]

• Minamino [on 114’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Sort yourself out. If you want to criticise the mistake, that’s fine. But don’t go overboard and attack the man.

Adrian is getting a league winners medal this year, and he has more than earned it.
Coincidentally, so has Dejan Lovren properly earned his winners medal and will properly collect it. Using your same logic of "performing when called upon", let me ask you, how many matches did Dejan play in during Liverpool's unbeaten streak? Let me save you some time, of the 18 consecutive winning streak this season he played in 8. Again, just using your same critierion. Yet after his 9th appearance, a loss to Watford, you seemed upset and a little overboard with directing that loss entirely at Lovren's boots. He hadn't earned any goodwill with you up to that point? The team's 4th choice CB? Or is he held to a different standard because you don't seem to be affording him the same grace and place in your heart you've given Adrian? I ask genuinely because it seems incongruent. I don't disagree with your stance about people flaming Adrian, but you're being a little self righteous, you did the same thing to Lovren.

Last edited:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Can anyone explain what is happening with Mo? I've been watching film of Mo from the past 3 seasons and he is very little semblance of the forward he's been the past 2 seasons prior to this one. His work rate still world class, making his gut busting runs down the channels, but that's literally where it ends. His passing is scattered, his turnovers per 90 are at an alarming rate and all time high, his shooting accuracy and range seem to have completely gone missing, and his pure ruthless edge in and around the box is shattered. I will forever love Mo and I will always have his back, he has pure magic in his boots and on top of that he's a great human being. It's heartbreaking watching a player of his class and skill struggle this mightily.

macca1970

I don't like the criticism Adrian is getting. Yes he was poor and cost us the game and further progress in Champions League. But EVERY player has a poor game. Let's not forget the games we won with him on the pitch.
Those calling death threat's and other such things are complete fools. Attacking the person? Idiots.

However, regarding football performance:

Criticism is good.
Criticism is healthy.

I think many are confusing criticism for abuse, and tarring anyone who has provided some analysis of Adrian's performances with the same brush as the complete idiots who have jumped on Adrian as a person.

So for example, if you analyse Adrian's three performances since his return:

Chelsea - gifted Willian's opener by fumbling it. Overall poor performance
Bournemouth - fumbled at shots, and flapped at balls coming into the box. My own rating for him in that match was 5 out of 10.
Atletico - a spectator for most of the match. Fumbled the one shot they had, though did well to recover and jump to the second ball. Then we all know what happened in extra time.

Adrian has done well at the start of the season. I've praised him. But he also made, as is normal, mistakes throughout the games. We were a well oiled machine for most of the season, and his mistakes haven't derailed us.

Even while praising him, in his player thread, I have pointed out his weaknessness, and the major one being his loss of concentration. And so it happened again. So people have the right to analyse and debate. I for one think that a keeper at a side like ours it is mandatory to have good concentration, as you will be called into action fewer times every game.

Now you can weigh up his good and bad points and decide wehter or not he is a good second keeper. If you come to the conclusion that he's not and offer some criticism, then that is ok.

If you step over the line and enter abuse teritory, then you are out of order.

sandsoftime

…. are we all missing the obvious here with Adrian... maybe it was just the occasion that effected him... in the same manner if impacts upon the opposing players? We must remember, the mentality of our players has been chiselled from the events of the last few seasons... it has hardened them... built up the grit and determination within them... we as fans have shown them what it means to us... Adrian for all his bravado... is a newbie after all..!
Not his fault... Not our fault.... But it is what it is.... He is our second choice keeper who doesn't go out with a masterplan to play badly in front of the fans or his family... He messed up badly, the fact his legacy at Anfield will remember him for that... is punishment enough eh!
Lets get Allison back asap and move on.... next season is there for the taking..!

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Those calling death threat's and other such things are complete fools. Attacking the person? Idiots.

However, regarding football performance:

Criticism is good.
Criticism is healthy.

I think many are confusing criticism for abuse, and tarring anyone who has provided some analysis of Adrian's performances with the same brush as the complete idiots who have jumped on Adrian as a person.
I think people on here are forgetting that it's an internet forum, we're not in the stadium. It's a space open for discussion, not blind 'support' at every opportunity.

The vast majority of the stuff written about Adrian on here has fallen into the realms of reasonable criticism, rather than anything spiteful or nasty. It just looks dishonest to be anything other than highly critical of his performance given just how bad it was.

sportbilly1966

TIA New Signing
Just in the players forums and the only comments are about Adrian, what about positive posts about Gini, Ox or the return of Hendo and then there's the closing down and effort of the front 3 and the crunching tackle by Trent.

We are called supporters so support the players that were overall exceptional and on another night we could gave had 6.

For the most part of it we were fantastic as a team just lady luck wasnt with us.

Even had friends that are non Liverpool supporters, may even be a Manc supportter amongst them that thought it was an immense performance and we deserved more.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Coincidentally, so has Dejan Lovren properly earned his winners medal and will properly collect it. Using your same logic of "performing when called upon", let me ask you, how many matches did Dejan play in during Liverpool's unbeaten streak? Let me save you some time, of the 18 consecutive winning streak this season he played in 8. Again, just using your same critierion. Yet after his 9th appearance, a loss to Watford, you seemed upset and a little overboard with directing that loss entirely at Lovren's boots. He hadn't earned any goodwill with you up to that point? The team's 4th choice CB? Or is he held to a different standard because you don't seem to be affording him the same grace and place in your heart you've given Adrian? I ask genuinely because it seems incongruent. I don't disagree with your stance about people flaming Adrian, but you're being a little self righteous, you did the same thing to Lovren.
I’ve my piece on Lovren. I’ll try and make it easier to understand.

My sample size on Lovren is based on several seasons. I’m not reacting to a handful of games this season. It’s about his career with us and how he has demonstrated year on year that he cannot be trusted. My issue is not him making a mistake, it’s that he has been making these mistakes for five years.

Another issue is that with Lovren it isn’t the mistake, it’s the reaction to the mistake. I don’t mind any player making a mistake, as they are all human beings. With Lovren it’s the compound nature of the mistake. A goalkeeper equivalent would be if Adrian made a mistake, and then decided that he had to show everyone how he is still the bestest goalkeeper in the world, so tries a scorpion kick to prove it. And has been doing so for five years.

And there is the stupidity of the mistakes. I can more readily accept Adrian fucking up a clearance or spilling one in his own net than I can accept Lovren repeatedly getting drawn into impossible battles with huge centre forwards that he can’t possibly win

I also think we have to accept a greater drop off in the keeper position if we have to use a back up. Keepers are rarely injured and a reserve to an undisputed number one like Alisson is always going have a mistake in him.

So for me, in football’s great ledger, Adrian has enough in credit from this year to allow me to forgive a mistake. Lovren has been overdrawn now for many years.

I’ve no problem with Lovren getting his winners medal by the way. He has earned it. if any of them are getting a medal at this point, that is.

sandsoftime

I think we can all agree Lovren is not the future of LFC... never has been nor ever will be... JK is big on team/squad harmony and just like Moreno was kept way beyond his tenancy as a LFC player because he kept the morale of the players up... similar tact is being used with Lovren.. Should MO go... Lovren will be in the taxi behind him..! No need to get bitter or frustrated with the situation... in Klopp we trust!

Wilkored08

In light of today's news...can we have a reply of our game against AM...Adrian didn't feel very well...

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I was lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you see it) to be at Anfield on Wednesday night.

It was all very tense, but not football tense, but virus tense. Fans around us with masks, or latex gloves on etc. The football atmosphere/singing was on point, but continually punctuated by this non-football tensity.

In terms of the match itself - wow - what a 90 minutes of football. Total control, attack after attack, but Jan Oblak was incredible.

On the other side of things, Adrian had his howler, and from there it all fell apart.

Always glad to go to a game, but it's been a long while since I've experienced a Liverpool defeat and it made the rest of the evening a very down affair. Might I have seen the reds play infront of a crowd for the last time? Sounds like that's the case with todays next that everything's being suspended.

TheSweetSilverSong

Some thoughts:

-It was very encouraging to see we can play like that again, up until the blunder. At 2-0, and for a few minutes, it felt like the Barcelona return leg. So it was clear that an improved game vs Bournemouth a few days before, and a much improved game vs Atletico that night would see us improve game by game.

- The blunder: It was very sad to see it happen. They had absolutely no sniff in the game till that moment. But in such games you simply need your number one, and can't blame Adrian, he had a good game and clean sheet for the 90 minutes, and was a solid number 2 all season.

- The unluckiest part for me is that had the CL been suspended a couple of days before, we would have probably had Alisson back for the return leg, when everything returns to normal...but of course who knows how the game would have evolved in a different period.

- The performance was very encouraging, and I'm proud of the boys. The loss went down to many things, and not just the blunder, but of course it was the main reason everything turned upside down. At this level, give such a team a sniff and tables turn. Still think that had we not conceded a 2nd, we would have found a way to score a 3rd, so the mistakes leading to the 2nd goal were just as bad. But as Klopp and others said, I also think that we could and should have put the game to bed by normal time.

- Ox and Wijnaldum had a great game, and it was great to see Henderson make our midfield tick again.

- What matters now is to wrap up the league and hopefully in a safe and proper celebration environment, when it resumes. Then we go again next season for both.

Mary Hinge

Of course it was an unfortunate error by the keeper and not only did it concede a goal, but reversed the momentum of the game.

To attribute the blame solely on the keeper is missing the point, we are not clinical enough in front of goal. Sure, in the right conditions we are lethal, but we don't seem to have that striker who takes opportunities of those half chances. Perhaps that can be addressed in the summer.

We are not going to get a top keeper to come and play second fiddle to the worlds best, that's a fact, so we will always have somebody like Adrian. I believe he was a game changer earlier on in the season when he was covering for injury...….short memories.

Even the first team keepers are prone to their own mistakes, Henderson, Pickford, Loris, Ederson, so as frustrating as it is, it's unfair to come down too heavy handed on Adrian.

Support means just that.............at all times, not just when things are going well. If that's the standard, then go over to the light blue side and see how you get on there. ;)

That doesn't mean opinion and criticism should be stifled, far from it, but some of the comments on here give me the impression of closet Manc supporters stirring shit, or shallow fair weather supporters needing everything to be success after success.

Life ain't like that...........trust me.

jaffod

On the subject of Adrian, can anyone say what he was like at West Ham? I want to make it clear I really like the bloke, seems like a sound fella off the pitch too, but there's no doubt in his time here he's been a real Jekyll and Hyde character when he's played. He's had games where he's been really good and been the difference between winning and maybe dropping points and he's had games where he looks like a disaster waiting to happen, and sometimes is. He's had games where he's managed to do both things at once. He spills routine saves and then pulls off a worldie to recover it.
Was he the same at West Ham?

FGred

It's totally reactive and maybe even wrong.... but I have to say it anyways:

Keepers and strikers win and lose you games. We did not buy a proper back-up keeper and rushed to get one on a free. That was negligence on the part of Jurgen and every single person who advises on transfers.
It is pretty much impossible to sign a goalkeeper in the January window of Allison standard who is prepared to sit on the bench as an understudy?
We did very well with Adrian just were unlucky to lose Allison at such a crucial time.

FGred

Yep. Apparently season ticket and people who had tickets will get a link to watch on line.
Still no games allowed on TV at 3pm.

When we clinch it they cannot stop 1000s of fans meeting outside Anfield.
Yes do the same as PSG supporters they made more noise from outside the stadium than if they were inside the stadium can accommodate 100K but there must have been a 200 to 300k outside the stadium

jredp

Let's talk about 6 baby!
taken me a lot longer than I thought to overcome the CL game. still very very disappointed and now no football, because of this virus. I guess life goes on .............. until we decide to destroy it.
Whatever is said, we didn’t deserve to lose the game, a draw would have been somehow acceptable.
And now, whatever is said, we fully deserve to be crowned PL champions.

Limiescouse

I had no idea about this, but it's a pretty cool story. I knew Marcos Llorente's dad was a famous footballer in the 80s, but I just read that he is also the grandson of Ramon Grosso, the man who replaced De Stefano in the Real side that eventually won back the European cup for them in the mid 60s, and also the grand nephew of Paco Gento, the man with the most European cup winners medals (6) of anyone.