• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post match Liverpool v Barcelona (UCL 7/5/2019 7.45pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 72 27.3%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 76 28.8%
  • Matip

Votes: 43 16.3%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Robertson [off 45’]

Votes: 34 12.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 69 26.1%
  • Henderson

Votes: 48 18.2%
  • Milner

Votes: 34 12.9%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • Mane

Votes: 37 14.0%
  • Origi [GOAL 7’, GOAL 78’, went off at some point)

Votes: 96 36.4%
  • Wijnaldum [on 45’, GOAL 54, GOAL 56’]

Votes: 82 31.1%
  • Gomez (on something or other)

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I think Sturridge came on at the end.

Votes: 26 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I've watched this match now four times. I still get choked up watching Gini and Milner in tears at full time.

Even with all of the sadness and heartbreak and anxiety that comes with it, I'm so, so glad I root for this club. Moments like this are priceless. Truly.

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
Apologies is this has been shared already, but it's so damn brilliant that the assistants noticed Barca's tendency to switch off on fouls and set pieces and planned for the possibility of a sneak attack.

Trent Alexander-Arnold has been hailed as a genius for the quick corner kick that led to Liverpool’s fourth and deciding goal last night. Yet to begin to understand the pursuit of impossible it is best to start with the instructions and the even spread of information.

Liverpool’s match analysts had noticed last week in the Camp Nou how Barcelona’s players moaned and became distracted whenever a free-kick or a throw-in was awarded against them, even if the decision was blatantly the correct one. This made Jurgen Klopp recognise the possibilities. And so, he filtered a message through the club. It proves that he certainly had not given up – that Liverpool’s recovery was not purely borne out of adrenaline and special oils. His belief was not blind. It translated into plans and schemes.

Carl Lancaster is a coaching mentor at the club’s academy in Kirkby and amongst his responsibilities is the co-ordination of ball boys. He had told them to serve Liverpool’s players as swiftly as possible on Tuesday morning. Oakley Cannonier did not forget and with eleven minutes to go, he fed Alexander-Arnold while Barcelona’s defence fidgeted amongst themselves 20-yards away. It seemed astonishing they were blissfully unaware of what might happen considering Liverpool had already shown their bulldozing intent.

ShadesOfRed

TIA Youth Team
Having just watched the game after the 2nd goal while waiting for the kick off. BT sports said the delay was because VAR was checking on a Red card challenge I cant see anything that remotely even gave them that idea.
My guess is that it had something to do with Ter Stegen rolling around like a twat when Gini tried to get the ball back quickly to restart play.

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
So you agree that Barca wanting him is immaterial and should be ignored? :eh?: my point is not that your saying Klopp will leave, rather you thought Barca could persuade him. I dont believe they could.
everyone has a number, but Klopp is smart, he will set a number so high THEY will have to say no.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
No pre-match for Wolves yet? But a CL Final pre-match thread...

No regard for thread starters and their current form

I'm looking at you @Red_Jedi like many other posters will be! lollol
Well, as I said in the pre match champions league post - it was more about how people were planning on getting to Madrid/watching match - sharing ideas etc.

It was also moderated and approved before being posted - but then got locked by @Hope in your heart .The current days are crucial for those planning on travelling to Madrid - and I thought to merge that with a pre match as inevitably many may decide to travel later on, attend screenings etc etc would be very useful!

I’m also waiting for the wolves pre match but thought to leave that for regular thread starters.

Mods can delete my post for champions league if it has offended or inappropriate.

Or lock it as has been, which I find strange.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
No pre-match for Wolves yet? But a CL Final pre-match thread...

No regard for thread starters and their current form

I'm looking at you @Red_Jedi like many other posters will be! lollol
Yeah, are we that arrogant that we don't even care about Wolves match and look at a match 3 weeks from now? Come on.... And anyone ever checked @Red_Jedi's record yet? You sure you gonna take the leap there mate, with that kind of responsibility on your shoulder? I am doing something very different, hope it works..... I can't tell you what will work, if I do it won't happen. So here goes.

Pre-Match Thread 1

richieh10

Fucking Hell....

Anfield was built of nights like that but still Unbelievable.

WE BEEN TO PSG AND NAPOLI
BELGRADE AND GERMANY
AND WHEN WE WENT THE ALLIANZ
LIVERPOOL SCORED THREE
PORTO, BARCELONA, SPURS
WHO YOU TRYNA KID
COZ WE’RE THE MIGHTY LIVERPOOL
WE’RE GOING TO MADRID

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Must have been. First time in some 42 years, but needs must. Bit of a surprise to realize it though.
Well @Arminius , you had best get the praying mat out again because we still have a couple of awkward, season defining matches to go. As for myself, come this Sunday and also June 1st, I will most definitely have my fingers tightly crossed.

Flobs

FADA
Having just watched the game after the 2nd goal while waiting for the kick off. BT sports said the delay was because VAR was checking on a Red card challenge I cant see anything that remotely even gave them that idea.
The taking out of Mané?

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
According to Le Parisien Barca are close to signing Griezman

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Probably already been commented on a few times, but just looked at the post match thread away to Barcelona and @ScottJones made the call early that it would be 4-0 on the return leg to the mighty reds. A true visionary!

Commando

Ad-free Member
@donks opened the Newcastle pre match thread, so I assume we are waiting for him to open the Wolves pre-match thread? His form guide reads 1 thread start and 1 win.

Do we know of any posters with a really bad record when opening pre match threads?

Can we get them to open a Brighton - City thread?

Flobs

FADA
I watched the match and also a rerun of the game, and both times I missed "the taking out of Mané" and wondered why the VAR had been called for.
I have as much of an idea why the VAR was used as you. The only thing i could think of was Vidal going in with 2 feet off the ground and connecting with Mané, when I saw it the first time I screamed 'penalty' then realised Wijnaldum had scored so relaxed.
I mean Mané could have lost his foot. :) (just a snide remark about some other posters comments about players losing feet).

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I have as much of an idea why the VAR was used as you. The only thing i could think of was Vidal going in with 2 feet off the ground and connecting with Mané, when I saw it the first time I screamed 'penalty' then realised Wijnaldum had scored so relaxed.
I mean Mané could have lost his foot. :) (just a snide remark about some other posters comments about players losing feet).
Was it Wijnaldum's headed second goal you're talking about? I ask because I will see if I can catch another rerun of the game and look out for the tackle.

Flobs

FADA
Was it Wijnaldum's headed second goal you're talking about? I ask because I will see if I can catch another rerun of the game and look out for the tackle.
No Gini's 1st. TAA played the ball in to Mané but it took a slight deflection. Mané had to come back deeper to get to the ball. Gini was attacking the box being tracked (presumably by Vidal) Vidal goes in 2 feet (presumably to take Wijnaldum out) and catches Mané with 1 of his feet.
Gini's 2nd goal it was Origi in front of him!

By the way I saw all that 1st time round. As I said I screamed 'penalty' before realising the ball was goal bound.