Post match Liverpool v Barcelona (UCL 7/5/2019 7.45pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 72 27.3%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 76 28.8%
  • Matip

Votes: 43 16.3%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Robertson [off 45’]

Votes: 34 12.9%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 69 26.1%
  • Henderson

Votes: 48 18.2%
  • Milner

Votes: 34 12.9%
  • Shaqiri

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • Mane

Votes: 37 14.0%
  • Origi [GOAL 7’, GOAL 78’, went off at some point)

Votes: 96 36.4%
  • Wijnaldum [on 45’, GOAL 54, GOAL 56’]

Votes: 82 31.1%
  • Gomez (on something or other)

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I think Sturridge came on at the end.

Votes: 26 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commando

In the match highlights videos that I’ve seen, when we’ve scored the first after seven minutes they show Messi and he looks almost resigned to Barca’s fate. If you look around the team there’s nobody geeing the side up or rallying them like Jordan and Virgil do to our lads.

William Clarke

redshirt
In the match highlights videos that I’ve seen, when we’ve scored the first after seven minutes they show Messi and he looks almost resigned to Barca’s fate. If you look around the team there’s nobody geeing the side up or rallying them like Jordan and Virgil do to our lads.
It was because they thought themselves so superior after beating us 3-0 at their place. We really surprised the hell out of them the way we flew at their defence. They're not used to teams attacking them like we did, so it put them right on the back foot.

Flobs

FADA
That really was an odd 4-0 game. Liverpool clearly outplayed Barcelona, who in the end just did not attack much - their best spell of pressure came in the first 20 minutes. While LFC produced some periods of solid pressure, it is hard to call that dominance. The early goal created an ascendant feel and built belief, however that was actually a fairly balanced half. The second half is odder still, because I think we only got 6 total shots on goal in the half, two goals from the one really good spell of pressure in the half. Not surprising that the balance shifted after aggregate 3-3 and defence became more important, but statistically it is hard to see how that became a 4-0.
It was a truely weird game. I'm sure I saw Alisson on the half way line and Matip and VVD well into Barça territory even at 3-3. We destroyed them mentally and physically. Their efforts seemed to become haphassard 'still dangerous mind as it's hard to predict in those circumstances). The only conclusion I can come up with is we were out to win outright and avoid extra time.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
It was a truely weird game. I'm sure I saw Alisson on the half way line and Matip and VVD well into Barça territory even at 3-3. We destroyed them mentally and physically. Their efforts seemed to become haphassard 'still dangerous mind as it's hard to predict in those circumstances). The only conclusion I can come up with is we were out to win outright and avoid extra time.
Barca were so passive that at the time I was worried what extra-time would look like. I am sure that most of the 5km more run by LFC than Barca was in the first hour, and also sure that the margin for burst sprints was higher. If the game had slowed down for a period of extra-time, I think Barca might have actually found a comfort zone to attack.

Sort of reminded of the line from that old film Gattaca - we won because we did not save enough energy to do otherwise. They went from pressing at 90 minutes to visibly exhausted but overjoyed with one whistle.

Nur der BvB09

I lost yesterday my Mom and hadn t time to see the game at all. I got the News on my tel. and am over the moon for everyone involved with this club and how proud we all are About this Team. Please go and make it happen on 1.6.2019. Number 6 belongs to Anfield.YNWA
Ich bin sehr traurig über den Tod Deiner lieben Mama. Mein tief empfundenes Beileid sowie mein aufrichtiges Mitgefühl gelten Dir und Deiner Familie.

William Clarke

redshirt

I have to take my hat off the classy Barca fans, they applauded our lads out there, whilst their own team, went off in a strop and a sulk in the dressing room without acknowledging their own fans, unclassy to say the least.
:well done:
Yeah, you have to give the Barça fans respect, those at Anfield were good in defeat unlike their team.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

I have to take my hat off the classy Barca fans, they applauded our lads out there, whilst their own team, went off in a strop and a sulk in the dressing room without acknowledging their own fans, unclassy to say the least.
Usually away fans tend to be real football fans from what I was told when I went to Loftus Road back then. They appreciate the opponent's ability and moreso they appreciate the opposing fans who really dedicate themselves to and support their own club. Very nice to see they still exist, even in Barcelona. Then again, not many would not be in awe with our fans that night.

Last edited:

William Clarke

redshirt

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
I've been thinking about Man-of-the-match all week long and have to say this is the most dificult one to decide, EVERY 1 OF THE BOYS DESERVE MOM TITLE. but i'm gonna give ot to Gini Winajldum not for his 2 goals, but rather for his Intensity, Passion, drive and desire to win. from the second he came on he was intense and trying fro the goals. just look back at his first goal, no time to celebrate, he runs to grab the ball from Ter segen and rolls him over to grab the ball, just look at Gini's face in that moment, thats my MOM, then after scoring his second he allows himself to celebrate, again look at his intensity! a reflection of so many thousands of fans at #Anfield what a day, what a match, what a moment, what memories, WE ARE LIVERPOOL, WE ARE MORE

Darrel3000

Liverpool is my Religion
take alook at these stats for the CL Final vs Spurs
Premier League 2018-19
10+ pass sequencesBuild-up attacks% sequences ending in a shot
Liverpool70015021.4%
Tottenham Hotspur54811120.3%

William Clarke

redshirt
Ohh Myy Gaaawwd, I havent drank Ribena is years, WOnder if I can find it here in New YOrk FFucking City
I don't know if you have these soft drinks on sale in NYC, but I used to love drinking them when I was a kid living in Liverpool --- DANDELION & BURDOCK was one drink and the other SARSAPARILLA

Salahmi

At half time I was trying to explain to my football-hating French wife how this is not just any football club and not just any city and its people. We have a uniqueness nobody else comes anywhere near. That tonight felt just as good as winning it. (Which we are now surely destined to do.)

Unbelievable. Unforgettable.
I hope she understands now haha! After more than 5 years with my missus and I think she gets it now!