• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Bayern Munich (UCL 19/2/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Keita [off 76’]

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 76’]

• Mane

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Milner [on 76’]

• Origi [on 76’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big noyd

gave gini motm, hendo was fantastic but that yellow was silly. fabinho was pretty good playing out of position

sadio was at his most frustrating today, mo wasn't great either. and the fullbacks were both quite poor overall

on the one hand we get VVD and they lose kimmich, 1-1 puts us through, and they didn't show much threat outside of gnabry. on the other hand we've lost all our away matches in europe and they're bayern

Alright Now

I thought our movement forward was generally far more fluid than theirs, only to be let down by some awful final passes/decisions.

They will be nervous.

Trust me.
That last part is challenging for me.

Thought we played an excellent first half. And then kept the clean sheet with the “make shift” defense. I feel fine.

macca1970

BM came here not to concede, with a plan to not let any space between their full backs and central defenders. Their attacking FB were assigned to stay back all game, and stifle us. Their game plan worked to that extent, although some composure for us in the first half in front of goal may have made a big difference.

A makeshift CB paring for us did well overall. Mising VVD, Gomez and Lovren, so all's good in that clean sheet. Was a tactical match from BM, with plenty of slow down play and killing time. The anfield crowd need to whistle more early on in the game at this, rahter than start from the 75th minute.

No away goal for BM, but no goal for us at home to take an advantage. All to play for in 3 weeks time. Should be a good game.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
First half was the best half of football I've seen all season. Brilliant from both sides. We just lacked the finish which has been a common problem right through our season and will cost us either in this competition or in the PL or both if we can't sort it. Second half Bayern knew they were on for a beating if the game carried on like that so they took the sting out of it, were less ambitious and got plenty of men behind the ball. Experience counts more than form in this competition which is why this was always going to be a tough tie to win.

Defensively we were a bit shaky first half but we rode the storm and after that some of our attacking play was white hot. Just put it in the net please. Second half we barely laid a glove on them but we didn't concede and that's the main thing. If you're going to draw in the CL first leg then 0-0 is the result to go for. Still got a great chance to go through.

dockers_strike

We looked well short of ideas tonight. Both full backs were below their usual heights for attacking play and distribution. Matip once again just unsettles everything with his misdirected passes and bambi on ice impressions. In the second half he put one ball into touch miles from any red shirt and under no pressure whatsoever. I make Fabinho MoTM with just having to clear up alongside him. In fact, if you didnt know Fabinho wasnt a regular CB, you'd say he's the more natural out of him and Matip.

Up front we relied on far too many little flicks and delicate touches, too many decisions we made were also pretty poor as well. Thought Mane was the best of the front 3 while in midfield, we were too slow getting the ball forward. I think its going to be a very difficult night in Munich without a goal to take there.

Onwards to the bigger match on Sunday and we'll need to be a lot more decisive than we were tonight.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Hendo my MOTM, thought he was excellent, played some nice positive, forward passes. Firmino and Fabinho were also really good.

Bayern came for a clean sheet and they defended very well. We will have to produce an outstanding performance and I think we can do it, especially with Virgil back.

Alright Now

First half was the best half of football I've seen all season. Brilliant from both sides. We just lacked the finish which has been a common problem right through our season and will cost us either in this competition or in the PL or both if we can't sort it. Second half Bayern knew they were on for a beating if the game carried on like that so they took the sting out of it, were less ambitious and got plenty of men behind the ball. Experience counts more than form in this competition which is why this was always going to be a tough tie to win.

Defensively we were a bit shaky first half but we rode the storm and after that some of our attacking play was white hot. Just put it in the net please. Second half we barely laid a glove on them but we didn't concede and that's the main thing. If you're going to draw in the CL first leg then 0-0 is the result to go for. Still got a great chance to go through.
Agreeance. In fact, I felt that the first half was so good that the second felt like a downer and took away from a good performance from us.

macca1970

The frustrating part for me was the lax passing in good situations. Simple ball to a free player out wide, but the ball is underhit/misplaced (Keita needs to work on this, done it several times in last few matches).

Good have been a goal or two up at the half, but more composure needed on front of goal. Thought we played well in the last 20 min of the first half, so was a bit dissaapointed after the break to struggle to create chances. BUt i'm confident that we ca get a good result int he second leg.

For now, back to concentrate on the Prem. Big game this weekend against the scum. Let's knock a few past them.

Wilkored08

Gnabry....is his name spelt right..??

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Ad-free Member
Fabinho my mom closely followed by Hendo.
The rest were no more than 6/10
Still , we didn’t concede and we can pick them off over there.

kiwiredman

This is my serious face
Certainly not the comfortable win many were predicting on the pre-match thread...

Dutch

Ad-free Member
Thought this was the worst match of Salah since he joined us, everything he did went wrong. Most positive? BM did not get an "away goal".