• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Bayern Munich (UCL 19/2/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Keita [off 76’]

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 76’]

• Mane

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Milner [on 76’]

• Origi [on 76’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
So Bayern got their third goalless draw in row at Anfield.
Despite our FB were not at their best, too many missed passes, we could have won.
Bayern defended well, credit to them.
In Munich it’s not only that VvD is back, also important is we will have Fabinho in midfield.
I think we will have more spaces to exploit in the second leg.
If I would bet I would place my money on us.

Herb

Fabinho and Henderson played well. Other than that don’t think there was anybody else who really put in a noteworthy performance. Pretty drab affair in the second half and disappointed that our lads didn’t really step up to the occasion. Created some decent chances that unfortunately either fell to Matip who is hopeless at shooting or Mané who had one of his off nights.

Still, all to play for in the second leg and if we can actually compose ourselves to take some of the chances we will definitely create over there, I’m not sure I see them having it in them to put more than one past us. Would be gutting if we went out to this iteration of Bayern Munich because I really don’t think they are anywhere near our level when we are on form.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
Man of the Match for me was just Fabinho with Hendo running him close. Munich came to get a draw and hoped for a win, and did a real good job of it. Saying that, we did have several chances of scoring, but we snatched at our goal chances. Over at the Allianz they will have to attack us more, which should give us plenty of scope round the back. We're still in with a shout because I saw nothing to really scare us tonight.

Magnus

It is going to be tough now. In truth, we are no longer favorites to go through after tonight. As for the performance tonight, I thought we were defensively solid, but offensively it didn't work for us. And yet we had a few good chances. Bayern did put up a very good performance though, and I am not overjoyed that we are going to the Allianz with 0 goals in the bag.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Needed Firmino to put a shift in whilst feeling like shit and he did,with him being healthier and VVD back for the away tie then we have to be positive,pundits can say all they fucking want but they all said Bayern would score,soon as the whistle is blown i don't hesitate to switch off so i don't hear them and get bleeding of the ears.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
It is going to be tough now. In truth, we are no longer favorites to go through after tonight. As for the performance tonight, I thought we were defensively solid, but offensively it didn't work for us. And yet we had a few good chances. Bayern did put up a very good performance though, and I am not overjoyed that we are going to the Allianz with 0 goals in the bag.
True that but hopefully we wil be at full strength next time and we're a force to reckon with at full strength, even for bayern at home.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Man of the Match for me was just Fabinho with Hendo running him close. Munich came to get a draw and hoped for a win, and did a real good job of it. Saying that, we did have several chances of scoring, but we snatched at our goal chances. Over at the Allianz they will have to attack us more, which should give us plenty of scope round the back. We're still in with a shout because I saw nothing to really scare us tonight.
Although they'll be less defensive than tonight, i think they'll still try to keep it very tight and try to snatch something late in the match.

It won't be an open match. These guys are seasoned pros who know their best chance of advancing is to keep risk to a minimum and play to their advantage rather than ours.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Very good away performance by Bayern. Their wingers kept our full backs occupied and it was only when Milner came on for Keita, who was disappointing in the second half, did we see Robbo getting forward. TAA had a bit of mare which meant that Salah wasn't getting enough of the ball. Didn't help that Bobby seemed to be unfit to play.

At least we kept a clean sheet and I'd have no objections to going through on the away goal. I doubt it would be goals as Bayern were very good defensively.

Last edited:

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Gini's work rate yet again world class. Box to box no one could touch him. I do feel like he needed to be more selfish tho. He was always looking for Mo.

Fab is outright un-droppable at this point. Has to be one of first 3 names on the team sheet every week. Given the context and circumstances tonight, and who he was filling in for, he was simply phenomenal. Not a foot wrong. My MOTM.

Hendo. Sensational.

The Fullbacks were straight up lousy. I have never seen Robbo consistently get opened up and spun around as much as Gnabry was doing to him. Like a cat batting a ball of yarn. Maybe he had an off night not playing next to Big Virg. All that said, no one stops LA Machina Robbo. He'll be back.

I am interested to read what everyone thought of Mo's performance tonight. I can honestly say I came away from the match not really knowing what to think about how he played, good or bad. Feels very odd to say that.

Not a dream result but I'll take it! As I said in the match thread, we made our life more difficult than necessary, not anything Bayern was doing to us. I also don't understand why they didn't choose to attack Kimmich in the second half. Bayern was lucky to leave with the draw. We had the bigger chances.

Dimitriy

"Me no like this guys"...To be fair, I don't give a damn for this tier...
...Regardless of the opponent, we looked too hasty, getting in each others way, missing game fluid.
After the breaks, I thought we will look much tougher, close-together, creating clear chances...I couldn't even see glimpses, to eventually get us on top of the next game..."Me no like this"
Cheers guys :wave:

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
It was our first game in 10 days and maybe the front line were a bit rusty,
but we now have 4 games to play before the 2nd leg,
by that time i expect the front 3 to be back in the groove, and firing on all cylinders

Bayern know what our forward line can do, and will be wary.

Keep the faith.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
My match report from upper Kenny stand:

Weird build up to this game. Didn’t secure my ticket till Sunday evening.

The match would have meant much more if we weren’t challenging for the league.

The chat was to keep a clean sheet without vvd. No one considered we might not score either. We seem to score at home every match... last game not to score was city in league - can’t remember the game before that we didn’t score.

And so to my seat. The chap next to me asked if I could swap with his wife who was in row behind. I said, did he want to see my wife before we did the swap. He laughed and saw the funny side.... but I duly gave my seat to his wife...

It was quiet in this stand - tucked in the corner at the top. Everyone seated.

We could hear the kop, see the flags and the players looked ready for it.

First half was just wasteful. So many chances, just couldn’t finish. Why were all those Bayern fans jumping up and down - maybe keep warm and entertained as their team were trash.

Second half more of the same. They wanted the draw and get out. We kept the clean sheet - without vvd, they never really threatened - we didn’t have the final ball or shot.

Quite drab end of it all - but all to play in return leg.

On to a much more significant match on Sunday.

Vvd will be back... and I give my motm to Fabinho. He’s tall, he’s red, he scores with his bald head....Fabinho.....

icemanwan

TIA Youth Team
0-0, There were some good chances for us. It's good that we were able to create but unlucky we could not put 1 in net.
1st half we dominated, there was a scare early on but Alisson made super save point blank range. Shows why we missing VVD.

Keita excellent 1st half, excellent ball control and dribble. But fizzled in 2nd half, most likely fitness not up to par considering he missed much of 1st half of season thru injury. Hendo and Wijnaldum were super in midfield winning balls and directing play.

Fab fer MOTM, covered well fer main man in D.

Alright Now

My match report from upper Kenny stand:

Weird build up to this game. Didn’t secure my ticket till Sunday evening.

The match would have meant much more if we weren’t challenging for the league.

The chat was to keep a clean sheet without vvd. No one considered we might not score either. We seem to score at home every match... last game not to score was city in league - can’t remember the game before that we didn’t score.

And so to my seat. The chap next to me asked if I could swap with his wife who was in row behind. I said, did he want to see my wife before we did the swap. He laughed and saw the funny side.... but I duly gave my seat to his wife...

It was quiet in this stand - tucked in the corner at the top. Everyone seated.

We could hear the kop, see the flags and the players looked ready for it.

First half was just wasteful. So many chances, just couldn’t finish. Why were all those Bayern fans jumping up and down - maybe keep warm and entertained as their team were trash.

Second half more of the same. They wanted the draw and get out. We kept the clean sheet - without vvd, they never really threatened - we didn’t have the final ball or shot.

Quite drab end of it all - but all to play in return leg.

On to a much more significant match on Sunday.

Vvd will be back... and I give my motm to Fabinho. He’s tall, he’s red, he scores with his bald head....Fabinho.....
These are great. Thanks for doing them. You’re not going Sunday, are you?