• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Bayern Munich (UCL 19/2/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Keita [off 76’]

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 76’]

• Mane

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Milner [on 76’]

• Origi [on 76’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
I am satisfied with a 0-0. I was worried that Bayern would get an away goal and shut up shop. Henderson was superb, he really is confident and taking charge on the pitch like a Captain should. Keita is growing in every game he plays and Fabinho was immense, he really is a formidable defensive midfielder. Our defence was abit iffy. I was disappointed with Robbo, TAA and Matip, but TAA was coming back from injury and VVD was sorely missed tonight. Having said that, we survived without VVD which is a big bonus. I was disappointed with our Mo, Sadio and Bobby. They really need to step in the next game

Both teams played tried their best and played great endeavour, they were trying to outsmart each other. We have to remember that Bayern are a formidable, experienced Champions League team and are perennial Bundesliga winners. They are always in the semi-finals of the Champions League for the last 5 years. Bayern nullified our front three and defended tremendously tonight. We were great the first half but abit tepid in the second half.

Overall, I would take this first leg result. Bayern have to play an attacking style when we meet them. We got VVD back to organise the back four, i believe we have a good chance to get an away goal or two. They will have to score 2 goals. Hopefully, we will get our rhythm back.

MOTM were Henderson and Fabinho.

Last edited:

TheSweetSilverSong

I think Klopp was spot on in his post match: we created so many good attacking moments only for the final pass to go amiss, today it was not working with that final pass. We could and should have scored.

I think we deserved the win, but all in all I would have taken a 0-0 before the game. My main concern was conceding at home without our 2 starting CBs, and we managed to keep them silent - not that their main effort was to win, but still, had we not been good enough they'd not give away the chance to score their away goal(s).

Keïta was great tonight, and just needed the front 3 on song, which they weren't. Henderson was our best player tonight, and would have given him MOTM any other day. But since our most important advantage is having not conceded at home, and Fabinho's performance was key to that, I gave Fabinho MOTM. And I think that if Gomez misses the whole season, Fabinho has put a shift that calls for him partnering VVD for the run in in some games at least, especially given our options in midfield, now that Keïta is playing better every game, and that Ox is about to return too (options that allow Wijnaldum and/or Henderson to play deeper). Will depend on the opposition really, but definitely made a statement tonight in the role.
That said, if Gomez indeed returns in March as expected, and can stay fit and to the same level, a VVD-Gomez in CB, with Fabinho in front of them could see us back in steel defence mode - I'd take that any day.

Back on the tie with Bayern, I think they'll be wary of conceding in Munich, as they'll know that they'll need two without conceding again, so I'm expecting them to be cautious again, but the crowd will push them forward too, so they'll have the pressure to perform there - hopefully just that bit more to give us that much more space. Combined with Kimmich missing the game, and hopefully a better night for our front 3, hope that it can be enough for that away goal.
As for containing them, the difference is that Ribery will probably start for them in Munich, and what about Robben? - it remains a puzzle whether he'll be fit, and he can definitely still impact the game if he plays. But Kimmich offers so much for them in attack too, and his suspension will be a big bonus for us defensively as well.

Ultimately, I think it will come down to who manages to set the tempo of the game. Tonight, in the first half we were dictating the tempo and were the better team, but failed to score. So in the second half, naturally we had less in our engine, and they could control the tempo and nullified our threats. So if it's the same in Munich, and this time we can take advantage of that edge, and score, then it changes the game, as they won't be able to lay back and control the game in the same way in that second half, needing to come forward and level the game. Let's see how it pans out.

jaffod

Reports of Bayern's defence being shite were way off the mark, they seemed to get a toe to everything. Reckon we'll score there though and that will be a problem for them.
Can't fault any of the lads tonight although Allison really needs to stop fucking about before he costs us another goal. Hard to call a MOTM, gave it to Fabinho who I thought didn't look out of place at CB against quality opposition.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I missed that bit. I wonder what Kovac was moaning about.
Klopp was just annoyed that Kovac went directly back to "50 Bayern" after the final whistle instead of a quick hand shake with him first. So Klopp had to wait for Kovac, who then said sorry I wanted to go to Ribery. (he got a new baby girl) Klopp said, that's ridiculous, it's already his 5th child.

lol

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Klopp was just annoyed that Kovac went directly back to "50 Bayern" after the final whistle instead of a quick hand shake with him first. So Klopp had to wait for Kovac, who then said sorry I wanted to go to Ribery. (he got a new baby girl) Klopp said, that's ridiculous, it's already his 5th child.

lol
That is abit rude, etiquette is shake hands wih the opposing manager then go back to their own teams.

Huh!! Ribery has 5 kids:shocked:

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
. So Klopp had to wait for Kovac, who then said sorry I wanted to go to Ribery. (he got a new baby girl) Klopp said, that's ridiculous, it's already his 5th child.

lol
You can take the boy out of Boulogne s/Mer......

Last edited:

Red over the water

It’s finely balanced, but I fancy us to go away and score. If we do that, and even better if we score first, the complexion of the game changes and space will open up.

Tonight’s result had something for both teams. They go back to Germany knowing a simple win at home and they are through. It’s a bit like our game against Napoli. We go there knowing a win or score draw and we are through.

It’s a great European tie with two of the biggest and most successful European teams fighting it out. Game on.

As for Man City, they will smash Schalke and their ‘legend’ will grow. Good team no doubt, but they haven’t won the European Cup. Assuming they advance it will be a strong opponent in the quarter final, and not being of the highest European pedigree will weigh heavily.

Commando

Ad-free Member
My take on tonight is that it was an all round good performance. Some players stepped up while other more usual reliable players were a little shaky.
A great captain's performance from Jordan, which is why I gave him MOTM. Joel and Fab played really well for a makeshift CB pairing. Naby continues to improve and IMO he'll bag his first goal soon. This Sunday? I hope so. I'm very happy with the clean sheet. The tie is finely balanced.
I thought the Bayern fans were very good throughout the game as were the Anfield Faithful. A good midweek European "under lights" atmosphere.

Overall the referee was decent IMO and I thought that he handled the game well. But what was going on with the Bayern goal kicks? He made their keeper retake a couple when there was no encroachment by either side, but let the keeper blatantly take a quick goal kick with about five or six players in the box.

Just having a quick throat restoring whisky then it's off to bed for me. I'll be watching Sunday's game in Scotland where I'm attending a wedding. First time I've watched us North of the border.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
Although not the result I wanted, that was a great game of football to watch.
A game best defined by excellent defending, from both sides.

They are there for the taking in 3 weeks, where they will have to come at us more than they did last night.

Zico Nealy

Goalless at half time, celebrating Munich fans...we’ve been here before I think. So gonna do them in Germany. Let’s kill these off like Howie did!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We have grown up, no more go all out guns blazing like last season (I still think that's what Buvac brought to the table), no high intensity pressing from the front. To me this is like 2 heavy weight fighters sizing each other off, knowing very well each has their own knock-out blow (Salah for us, Lewandowski for them). To beat them we need an early goal in the second leg at Munich. That will change the entire game as they will have to pour all their players up in attack which will leave gaps for our forwards to exploit.

We need to be more clinical and we cannot keep relying on Salah to do that for us.

NZred

The Red From NZ
Not any entirely gutted with that result to be honest. More than anything it's absolutely vital not to concede that away goal in the first leg. All we have to do is score in Munich. EZ PZ.

Thought our midfield was absolutely brilliant today, Henderson was a fucking machine. Keita was slow to start but thought he was better and better the more the match wore on. Gini was fantastic on the ball, looked a new player TBH. Our front 3 seemed to be where everything broke down. Mane again responsible for some guilt edge misses, one shocking. He's such a frustrating player. Too much so for me. The other 2 were just an inch or two off which is the difference at this level.

The backline, apart from Trent were all good considering the loss of VVD. Fab was great, Matip for the most part solid. Trent was shit, passing terrible, heading terrible and got beaten time and time again.

Alisson STOP PLAYING RETARDED PASSES

Kennysgoldenass

Lovrens in the air.
That was a strange old game. I didn't underestimate Bayern before and rightly so, they are a solid side with plenty of experience. We have every chance of progressing. Fab was exactly that as was Matip beside him and I am surprised he got no votes at all for MOTM. I gave it to Henderson as his first half was as good by a Captain I have seen since Gerrard hung up his boots. Showed up when it mattered.
Bayern are a level or two up from Utd so bring those fuckers on.
No injuries too which is another massive positive.
Bayern nullified us well 2nd half but that was also due to some wayward passing and decision making by us.
Seems strange to say, but we looked like we had an eye on Sunday which is bigger.
Bigger than the Champions League, look what we have become..

Zico Nealy

Munich can play better and will, but so can we and the balance of this tie favors our strengths now.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Quite happy with. Munich going home without an away goal,we are probably slight favourites to win the return tie.
VVD back will make a difference though Fab is proving a useful fill in at CB,the midfield is his spot.
Hendo MOTM for me.

Red Eyes

Who would have believed that the German league winners for the last six seasons aren’t that bad!

They stopped us scoring at home which is no mean feat, and I’d say this tie is in the balance now given our poor away record in Europe this season.

That said I do think we will score in Germany, and with VVD back it will be tough for them to score two or more. Feel bizarrely confident our name will be in the hat for the next round.

Keita showed some signs that his confidence may be returning in the first half, Men OTM for me were Fabihno and Henderson.

Last night showed how important VVD is to us. It’s not only his defending that we missed, but also his influence and authority. Alisson and Robertson both missed him, neither had a great game last night.

Still waiting to see the benefits of a warm weather break outweigh the negatives.

United 1-3 Liverpool

LFCFFC

We're going for the reverse Rafa - nil all stalemate at home and then a 1-0 away.

Hopefully Sadio's miss isn't too costly.

santana

i don't see a draw or a lost
i saw liverpool team with high level and perfect performance so am happy !
i you want to beat a team like napoli or bayern you must use smart not speed becauce both team are .. fast !
try speed with man utd and you will smash the slow heavy man utd !
i think liverpool will beat bayern in 2nd round ✋