• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Post Match: Liverpool v Bayern Munich (UCL 19/2/19 8pm)

Man of the match

• Alisson

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Alexander-Arnold

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Matip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fabinho

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Robertson

• Henderson

Votes: 64 46.0%
  • Wijnaldum

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Keita [off 76’]

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Salah

• Firmino [off 76’]

• Mane

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Milner [on 76’]

• Origi [on 76’]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Redopium

Last nights performance was good I thought just the finishing was poor, 12 attempts but only 2 on target in such a important game is not good enough, Mane and Salah both greedy at times, We need a Aguero to put us where we want to be.

Libero

Happy enough with the result, probably should have scored in that dominant spell in the last 20 minutes of the first half.

Second half fizzled out and although we had some threatening situations the final decision was poor.

Defensively we were very good, large part of that is down to Henderson and Fabinho who looks pretty comfortable at CB.

Confident enough we can go there and score, on to the weekend!

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
not a great result.. but not bad result either. I will take the clean sheet with that make shift back line. I also will take Kimmich out in 2nd leg as I thought he was their best player yesterday against us. I think that will be a big advantage for us as I thought he was the main reason on what prevented us from scoring yesterday. He did very well. I thought Fab was our best player in that role he playing with Hendo being a second....

overall good well played entertaining match by both teams for a 0 - 0 draw... Bayern had a great defensive conservative game plan and it worked. we played well but missed our opportunities in front of goal.

I think we will score in Germany....

Last edited:

Red over the water

Yep, the debate over the training breaks will rumble on. Did they help or hinder? Hard to say.

Maybe at the end of the season if we win the Prem and/or the CL, it will be nice and clear. Then again, if we win neither, the clamor to take the domestic cups more seriously will grow, and understandably so.

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
Yep, the debate over the training breaks will rumble on. Did they help or hinder? Hard to say.
considering I think we played good yesterday against one of the best clubs in the world who also played very good.. and we looked fresh... I would say it helped us over not helping us for sure. those who want to act like it hindered us because we didn't win is just silly. That break was not just for that game either.. it's for the rest of the season so if we lose against Man u.. then the people who say the break hinders us might have a good argument then .. but as of right now they have absolutely have no argument in my opinion

one of the reasons we kept a clean sheet yesterday against Bayern is because of that break and getting a whole week to game plan for them. they hardly threaten us and we did very well defensively with no VVD. I doubt we would of been that good defensively with no VVD and Matip + fab partnership without that break.

I also think there is no way we could of played at that such of a high pace as long as we did yesterday without that break. we pressed high the entire first half it seemed like to me. Bayern were very good at beating it overall for the most part better than City even at playing out from the back I thought against us. I think a lot of that had to do with Neuer and how good his ball distribution really is.....

Last edited:

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
After deliberating on last night's performance, Im starting to think we need a bit more from our number 9. As ever his approach play was really good but again no shots and no goals from him either. Really starting to think if we need a new CF and bring him back into the 10 role. Wrong thread maybe, but Fabinho was immense and looked far more composed than Matip. Henderson was positive which was good to see. Thought Keita again is improving game by game and Mane was the most threatening of our front line which has been the case since the turn of the year.
I am hopeful for the second leg as I think we'll score at their patch.
That Lewandowski guy is really good, I've heard.

:think:

Edit: In case it's not clear, that's Bobby on the left.

Last edited:

Eintrachtfan

The convinced one
Now that the dust has settled I think that 0-0 is better than a 1-0 win.
Why?
I remember the PSG-away game we defended our lead of the first leg. Everybody knows what happened.
And I fear we would do so in Munich if we had won.
If we don’t want penalties after 120 minutes we have to score at least one goal.
I assume that will lead to another approach of our style of play(hopefully successful).
Although I can’t imagine Bayern will play all or nothing from the first minute I expect that we will get more spaces over the 90 minutes than at Anfield.

big noyd

losing kimmich is a big blow for them, would guess they'll keep their basic shape and play rafinha there

our midfield was excellent--i'd almost be tempted to keep those three & play fabinho next to VVD in the second leg

steveee

TIA Reserve Team
our midfield was excellent--i'd almost be tempted to play fabinho next to VVD there
that's not a bad shout really... it depends who is available but if the game was this weekend for example.. I would for sure think about doing that with VVD back. I change out Matip for Fab along side him and keep hendo on the pitch instead of Matip. and even though Hendo was great yesterday.. I think Fab is better than him in that role. but overall as a team I think we are stronger with both Hendo and Fab out there over Matip along side of VVD. both Hendo and Fab are just better players than Matip.. no disrespect to Matip but Fab looked like the veteran CB yesterday for example..

Last edited:

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Not a single shot on target for one of Europe's 'giants'??

We need a sunglasses emoji...
Who shows that stat?

Am I the only one who saw Lewa’s volley point-blank off Allison’s chest? Didn’t even have time to flinch. We got off lucky with that one

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Who shows that stat?

Am I the only one who saw Lewa’s volley point-blank off Allison’s chest? Didn’t even have time to flinch. We got off lucky with that one

you are the only one who saw lewas point blank volley come off allisons chest...the rest of us saw a deflection off matip come of allisons chest.

(not sure if there was another incident i missed, i was at work watching on a shitty stream)

Genius

The Somewhat Normal One
I am not worried. Sure it'll be nice to have a win, but it was a tactical masterclass from both sides.
And considering that we had a makeshift defence and let in 0 shots on target against Bayern is pretty good.

2nd leg, sure the home crowd will spur them on, but they will be playing into our hands. They have to attack, when they attack, oh those sexy little gaps in between the defence opens up, their wing backs will be pushed up, our trinity will have a field day!

Semmy

Ad-free Member
you are the only one who saw lewas point blank volley come off allisons chest...the rest of us saw a deflection off matip come of allisons chest.

(not sure if there was another incident i missed, i was at work watching on a shitty stream)
Confession, I was watching from my phone at work in the back ground and missed the replay. Just re-watching the match now and sure enough Matip laced the ball off Alisson

My apologies

Semmy

Ad-free Member
Score probably should have been 2-1, with Matip getting all three
Mane at 32’ when he scrubbed the ball wide. Had no idea he had time to turn. That was 1-0

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Confession, I was watching from my phone at work in the back ground and missed the replay. Just re-watching the match now and sure enough Matip laced the ball off Alisson

My apologies
No need to apologise.

Re the shitty stream- Been there, done that, no doubt I’ll do it again!!

Red Eyes

Why?
I remember the PSG-away game we defended our lead of the first leg. Everybody knows what happened.
If we don’t want penalties after 120 minutes we have to score at least one goal.
I assume that will lead to another approach of our style of play(hopefully successful).
Although I can’t imagine Bayern will play all or nothing from the first minute I expect that we will get more spaces over the 90 minutes than at Anfield.

I’d take a 1-0 win over a 0-0 draw every time.

There is a difference in psychology agreed, but that’s overcome by the mindset, attitude and confidence that the players have when they step onto the pitch.

Imgoingred

TIA Reserve Team
Why?
So bizarre all this confusion about whether it was a good result or not or whether we'd take a 2-1, or a 1-0. I was gobsmacked that professional pundits said they rather a 0-0 than a 2-1 win... ANY lead is better than a draw in any situation. As much as people feel as though the psychology or mentality of a team and their opposition changes, I'm certain the statistics show that those who are leading are more likely to win a game and/or two-legged tie in this case. I'd wager a bet that no one can find any statistics of a professional sports team in any sport who wins more games from a drawn or losing position than a leading position.

It's as simple as considering the following: Is it more likely a team will win if they have a 1 goal handicap compared to no handicap?
Or using the league as an example... Would you rather a 3 point lead over City or be square on points at any given stage?

red arizona scott

Of course a 1-0 win is much better. But 0-0 not bad. Pretty big not to concede with a make shift back 4. We will have VVD back and even more inform/fitter trent, gini, and shaq. Bayern no Kimmich and Muller. Rafina for Kimmach is a bigger drop off IMO than Milner or Clyne for TAA. Slight worry we have 1 more fixture in between, a little tricky how to approach Burnley with only 2 days off between going to Munich.

santana

the mistake was bringing naby instead of milner !
milner an expert fighter and slow player so a gainst a fast team like bayern you bring a boaring slow midfield ( hendo - gini - milner ) and depend on smart pass to the deadly trio ( frimino - salah - mane ) not fast pass but bring naby a gainst man utd then you will smash man utd because man utd weak point is the .. speed !

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
the mistake was bringing naby instead of milner !
milner an expert fighter and slow player so a gainst a fast team like bayern you bring a boaring slow midfield ( hendo - gini - milner ) and depend on smart pass to the deadly trio ( frimino - salah - mane ) not fast pass but bring naby a gainst man utd then you will smash man utd because man utd weak point is the .. speed !
Mistake? What part of that midfield was bad? If Salah takes his chance, Mane takes one of his three chances we have a nice and easy win. The midfield were impervious, we are lucky to have such a fantastic group of players in Henderson, Gini, Fabinho, Keita and Milner (with Oxlade to return).